Did Pep Guardiola introduce new football concepts/tactics?

+21
Tifoso Romanista
Adit
Flick
Ganso
Divine Intervention
BarcaLearning
Onyx
alexjanosik
danyjr
free_cat
Zealous
billionmillion
billy_gr
Potential
nasir6371
Dnmac4
BarrileteCosmico
paperbackwriter
guest7
Dante
jibers
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Did Pep Guardiola introduce new football concepts/tactics? - Page 2 Empty Re: Did Pep Guardiola introduce new football concepts/tactics?

Post by jibers Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Divine Intervention wrote:He didn't invent anything new. Teams have been pressing like that for years. Ajax under Michels, the Dutch under MIchels, Barcelona youth teams have been pressing like that for years, but IU suppose Pep made them up. The short passing has been used by plent teams, such as Ukraine and Dinamo Kiev. The name Tiki taka was actually first used on the spanish NT in the euro 2008 tournament.

Pep Innovated nothing. The false striker was most notably used by Serie A legend Totti under Spaletti. It was also used by Ferguson in United's 08 team as well. But anything Barcelona do is innovation. They invented short passing after all. Before Pep teams you to bypass the whole pitch and just play GK to GK balls. :facepalm:

LMFAOOOOOOOO

:bow:

jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Did Pep Guardiola introduce new football concepts/tactics? - Page 2 Empty Re: Did Pep Guardiola introduce new football concepts/tactics?

Post by Ganso Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Divine Intervention wrote:He didn't invent anything new. Teams have been pressing like that for years. Ajax under Michels, the Dutch under MIchels, Barcelona youth teams have been pressing like that for years, but IU suppose Pep made them up. The short passing has been used by plent teams, such as Ukraine and Dinamo Kiev. The name Tiki taka was actually first used on the spanish NT in the euro 2008 tournament.

Pep Innovated nothing. The false striker was most notably used by Serie A legend Totti under Spaletti. It was also used by Ferguson in United's 08 team as well. But anything Barcelona do is innovation. They invented short passing after all. Before Pep teams you to bypass the whole pitch and just play GK to GK balls. :facepalm:
:bow:
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:21 pm

I don't think that innovating and inventing are mutually exclusive. Inventing is hard, the sport is over 100 years old, and for any "new" invention there's a precedent. This doesn't apply to only to football but to most things in life, from arts to sciences. One can innovate without inventing new concepts though, by making sure the end result created has personality and, through a particular combination of concepts, new style. Like I previously mentioned, the individual pieces may not be his but the sum of the total most definitely is.

I would put more effort into this post, since the subject interests me, but it's clear that this is a troll thread and no one but Barca fans are interested in having a legit conversation :coffee:
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:18 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I don't think that innovating and inventing are mutually exclusive. Inventing is hard, the sport is over 100 years old, and for any "new" invention there's a precedent. This doesn't apply to only to football but to most things in life, from arts to sciences. One can innovate without inventing new concepts though, by making sure the end result created has personality and, through a particular combination of concepts, new style. Like I previously mentioned, the individual pieces may not be his but the sum of the total most definitely is.

I would put more effort into this post, since the subject interests me, but it's clear that this is a troll thread and no one but Barca fans are interested in having a legit conversation :coffee:

lol, tbf I kinda agree with Divine, I don't think Pep really innovated anything per se, maybe as a whole as someone said, his taking of Michels and Cruyff's philosophy to the exttreme could count, but most of what Barcelona did, they had done before and were doing it at youth level. Is extreme the same thing as innovation. too hard to tell tbh.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:35 am

jibers wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:I don't think that innovating and inventing are mutually exclusive. Inventing is hard, the sport is over 100 years old, and for any "new" invention there's a precedent. This doesn't apply to only to football but to most things in life, from arts to sciences. One can innovate without inventing new concepts though, by making sure the end result created has personality and, through a particular combination of concepts, new style. Like I previously mentioned, the individual pieces may not be his but the sum of the total most definitely is.

lol, tbf I kinda agree with Divine, I don't think Pep really innovated anything per se, maybe as a whole as someone said, his taking of Michels and Cruyff's philosophy to the exttreme could count, but most of what Barcelona did, they had done before and were doing it at youth level. Is extreme the same thing as innovation. too hard to tell tbh.

On the false nine thing and pressing I agree.But what about the specific points I raised.
Has any other team played with so many midfielders as Barca did last season.Surely thats an innovation.
Guardiola's use of Busquets to switch seamlessly between formations during matches.I havent seen that either.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:41 am

alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:

On the false nine thing and pressing I agree.But what about the specific points I raised.
Has any other team played with so many midfielders as Barca did last season.Surely thats an innovation.
Guardiola's use of Busquets to switch seamlessly between formations during matches.I havent seen that either.

hmmm. The midfilders point is a good one. But why is that an Innovation though. I think playing those MF is part of the reason Barcelona did not fare as well. I guess you could call it an innovation. Spain are doing a similar thing as well. With the busquets thing, Guardiola somtimes dropped very deep in Cruyff's formation, but nowhere to that ectent I suppose so that could count. Then again could you say that Fergie innovate the role Ronaldo is playing, the stinger (striker/winger), where a winger scores stupid amount of golas while not being the main focal point. It's similar to both th false 9 used by Spaletti and Pep, but different as Ronaldo came in from the wings. It's a tough question t answer tbh.

PS check your inbox
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:51 am

jibers wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:

hmmm. The midfilders point is a good one. But why is that an Innovation though. I think playing those MF is part of the reason Barcelona did not fare as well. I guess you could call it an innovation. Spain are doing a similar thing as well. With the busquets thing, Guardiola somtimes dropped very deep in Cruyff's formation, but nowhere to that ectent I suppose so that could count. Then again could you say that Fergie innovate the role Ronaldo is playing, the stinger (striker/winger), where a winger scores stupid amount of golas while not being the main focal point. It's similar to both th false 9 used by Spaletti and Pep, but different as Ronaldo came in from the wings. It's a tough question t answer tbh.

PS check your inbox

I did say that the tactic of playing with 7,8 midfielders was not particularly successful in winning trophies but does a new tactic necessarily have to result in trophies to call it an innovation.
I think it was a brave innovation overloading the defense and forward line with midfielders.It was revolutionary and something which ha never been tried before.
Pep playing in Cruyff's Barca.I have not seen millions of matches but of the many games I did see,dont think Pep played such a versatile and dynamic role.The formation was more or less fixed as 3-4-3.
On the Ferguson thing,by my understanding in CR's last season thr,United played a 4-6-0.Also I have never really thought of CR as a winger atleast not since his earliest days.He has always struck me as a goal scoring inside forward albeit taking goal scoring to a supreme extreme.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flick Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:56 am

He inherited Pique, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, and Puyol.. I'm pretty sure if you plug those guys in any system, that system would work, maybe not to the extend of Pep's success but still successful. I don't think he created innovated anything or invented anything.

Flick
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:06 am

alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:

PS check your inbox

I did say that the tactic of playing with 7,8 midfielders was not particularly successful in winning trophies but does a new tactic necessarily have to result in trophies to call it an innovation.
I think it was a brave innovation overloading the defense and forward line with midfielders.It was revolutionary and something which ha never been tried before.
Pep playing in Cruyff's Barca.I have not seen millions of matches but of the many games I did see,dont think Pep played such a versatile and dynamic role.The formation was more or less fixed as 3-4-3.
On the Ferguson thing,by my understanding in CR's last season thr,United played a 4-6-0.Also I have never really thought of CR as a winger atleast not since his earliest days.He has always struck me as a goal scoring inside forward albeit taking goal scoring to a supreme extreme.

I
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:

PS check your inbox

Hmm good points. Well woud you say it was a tactical innovation? I mean Del Bosque ias actually playing with no forwards whereas Barca played with Messi. I'm not trying to nit pick but you see what I mean? Yea I think we can class that as soime form of innovation. What would you call what VDB did yesterday then?

yea pep was nowhere near as dynamic and his role was more similar to Pirlos for Milanand Juve tbh. He played a lot of deep balls in front of the striker.

In 08 both Rooney and tevez creted space similar to the way that Villa and Pedro created space fro Messi in 09, just that he was usually on the right and started from much deeper postions. In 09 he was used as a CF in quite a few games (mostly in the CL)
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:39 am

jibers wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:

PS check your inbox

I
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:

PS check your inbox

Hmm good points. Well woud you say it was a tactical innovation? I mean Del Bosque ias actually playing with no forwards whereas Barca played with Messi. I'm not trying to nit pick but you see what I mean? Yea I think we can class that as soime form of innovation. What would you call what VDB did yesterday then?

yea pep was nowhere near as dynamic and his role was more similar to Pirlos for Milanand Juve tbh. He played a lot of deep balls in front of the striker.

In 08 both Rooney and tevez creted space similar to the way that Villa and Pedro created space fro Messi in 09, just that he was usually on the right and started from much deeper postions. In 09 he was used as a CF in quite a few games (mostly in the CL)

But then Del Bosque is not really innovating,is he.The idea to play with 7,8 midfielders is Pep's.
The innovation is still Pep's.VDB is just copying him.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:54 am

@ Alex Janosik

Yes ,Busquets droping back and forth and forming different numbers at midfield and Defense has been used before.

Brazil 2002 world cup winning team, Edmilson dropped back and forth to form a 5 at back while defending and as a Anchor man while Attacking.

Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tifoso Romanista Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:54 am

"Guys like [Fabio] Capello and [Jose] Mourinho are hailed as geniuses because they win. Well, they win because they have the best players, not because of what they do. I could put my dead grandfather in charge of their teams and they would still win."
Tifoso Romanista
Tifoso Romanista
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:00 am

Adit wrote:@ Alex Janosik

Yes ,Busquets droping back and forth and forming different numbers at midfield and Defense has been used before.

Brazil 2002 world cup winning team, Edmilson dropped back and forth to form a 5 at back while defending and as a Anchor man while Attacking.

Its been 10years and my memory of that tournament is a bit hazy.
But as far as I know that Brazil team played a 3-5-2 with Rivaldo and Ronnie alternately dropping back.
Brazil had 2 defensive anchors in Gilberto Silva and Kleberson.
As far as I can recall Edmilson predominantly stayed back.Not as fluid and versatile as Busquets.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:53 am

alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:

PS check your inbox

Im not going into if Pep did "invent" anything or to be so exact and picky. For sure though he combined a lot of great things and combined them together with introducing new concepts and things that no one else has b4 and made the team into a dominating force in world football earning respect and comparison and praise and even regarded as the best team of all time by some, that to me is as good and as big an achievement as many of the great managers in the past. There are just so many jealous fans who try to discredit or play down his achievement still :coffee:
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:04 am

Tifoso Romanista wrote:"Guys like [Fabio] Capello and [Jose] Mourinho are hailed as geniuses because they win. Well, they win because they have the best players, not because of what they do. I could put my dead grandfather in charge of their teams and they would still win."

Thats obviously not completely true, there has been so many examples of teams underachieving, team of stars and top big players fail to perform to expectation and one of the main reason is the manager unable to manage the group.... its something thats underestimated... just having the best players and any manager can sit and watch them win is not true.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:49 am

Why everyone has ignored the stuff I posted that are clearly inventions from Guardiola?

free_cat wrote:He obviously did.

For instances, many teams in the past have started building from the back, but none have been as fundamentalist as Pep's Barça.

An example of this, was the 2009 Cup final, were Barça passed from the Back with Athletic pressin on our area, passing the ball to the CB who were almost on the byline outside the box. I'm sure this was done for the first time by Pep's Barça.

IMO, Pepe generally invented when it comes to tactics for the build up. I don't think any other team has played with 2 open CB, 2 FB wide and pushing up when building from the back before Pep. Also, the DM coming deeper and then forming a 3 man backline for the build up I think it's Pep's invention.

It is also possible, that Pep invented the movement of our wing forwards, who move from wide to center, drop deep, wide again, cut in a diagonal... depending on the stage of play, but in this case I'm not sure and it well may have been done before.

Obviously, posession, pressing , fake 9, attacking football... all this has been done before, but Pep took it into another level.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:45 am

Yes cat I got that, hopefully the others too....although some jealous fans just tend to ignore it Very Happy
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Did Pep Guardiola introduce new football concepts/tactics? - Page 2 1341346233829
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeezus Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:39 pm

SuperMAG wrote:I think this is their perminant tactic transformation to the New and improved "Barca Transformer Tactic".

Defending will be done as a 4-3-3 with the look of 4-6-0.
Attacking will be done as 3-4-3.

Yeezus
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:21 pm

Fabio Capello: "In spite of starting young Guardiola did something unique: he invented. In football that's very hard. The ability to recover the ball in the high zone with the pressure of his attacking players didn't exist before, or at least not on such a perfect way."

Source

Last edited by BarrileteCosmico on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:24 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Fabio Capello: "In spite of starting young Guardiola did something unique: he invented. In football that's very hard. The ability to recover the ball in the high zone with the pressure of his attacking players didn't exist before, or at least not on such a perfect way."
'

the fck is he talking about? yes it did ffs

as a concept it existed before, the way Guardiola applied that concept however is something else entirely.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Organised pressing of the ball has been around since the 70's

Capello must have lost it if he thinks that's true.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:46 pm

He's obviously talking about the execution, hence the word ability instead of idea.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:47 pm

OK then credit for the execution, not the actual idea. Which is what is being discussed in this thread.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Yes but there's merit in taking the idea further than it's been taken before, that's innovation in itself. Hence his praise.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:51 pm

I think Capello simply means to this level of intensity and organisation.

Invent isnt the right word, but none of always use the correct terms.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next