What rules would you change/introduce to make the game more exciting?

+39
Lex
zigra
Nivash
Glory
VivaStPauli
danyjr
McLewis
Myesyats
NeganIsco
Jay29
Hapless_Hans
futbol_bill
Perucho21
Kaladin
Blue
El Gunner
Great Leader Sprucenuce
iftikhar
Warrior
Sina
Cruijf
Nishankly
Doc
Dutti
Kick
VanDeezNuts
titosantill
Art Morte
CBarca
Freeza
silver
M99
BarrileteCosmico
sportsczy
Kebab
rincon
elitedam
terrance511
Robespierre
43 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What rules would you change/introduce to make the game more exciting? Empty What rules would you change/introduce to make the game more exciting?

Post by Robespierre Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:21 pm

Actual time such as basketball?
Change number of substitutions?
Off side ?
line-out?
Etc

Discuss.

Last edited by Robespierre on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

What rules would you change/introduce to make the game more exciting? Empty Re: What rules would you change/introduce to make the game more exciting?

Post by terrance511 Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:28 pm

more exciting? 13 vs 13 with no offside rule

but that wouldn't be football anymore.

wish those charity or preseason friendly match were done in crazy format.
terrance511
terrance511
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

What rules would you change/introduce to make the game more exciting? Empty Re: What rules would you change/introduce to make the game more exciting?

Post by elitedam Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:42 pm

Change the timing so that the clock only runs when the ball is in play. Maybe make it two thirty-minute halves? It might make the Libertadores watchable.

More substitutions if a game goes to extra time. I know it was recently changed to four in a lot of competitions, but I would love to see five or even six. I've seen a lot of games where players are just walking around in extra time because they're dead tired. It's boring and anticlimactic.

Get rid of the away goals rule. I don't know if it would make things more exciting, but it's a bullshit rule. I get the intent behind it, but it hasn't really done what it was meant to do.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Dont change any rules, just refine the execution of VAR to enforce the current rules.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kebab Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Obviously more dangerous moments and more goals will make the game more interesting. How to make it? The most satisfying thing in football for me is to watch a player goes 1 on 1 with GK, with plenty of space and nobody is around. I would watch it all day long without getting bored

My wish list would be like this:
- In weak penalty calls dont give a penalty. give "1 on 1". One player must go face to face with GK and try to beat him. You have 10 seconds. This would be most orgasmic thing to watch for me
- Create a free kick rule that one player must go against 1 defender and a goalkeeper and try to score.
- Instead of 11 cut it to 9 players, more space more dangerous moments and more goals. Its way better to watch than boring parked buses. In this case teams will rely on skills rather than overcrowding in their own half and do nothing and get away with it
- Make 5 subs to play more players
- 3 cards to punish players, Yellow, Blue and Red

Kebab
Kebab
Cant go to the last pages in mobile version. There is no page numbers

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:09 pm

hand ball rule.  Just make all hand balls a foul... this intent thing is stupid.  Too much subjective bs.

Second, you have 24 seconds to get the ball to the opposite half of the pitch once you get the ball.

PKs every time there's a draw after 90 mins.  The PK winner gets an extra point.  Wins get you 4 points instead of 3 in parallel to the PK rule.  So in essence,
-  win gets 4 points
-  draw + pk winner gets 2 points
-  draw + pk loser gets 1 point

from 3 subs to 5 subs. Makes it more interesting tactically as you can really switch things around.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:58 pm

terrance511 wrote:more exciting? 13 vs 13 with no offside rule

but that wouldn't be football anymore.

wish those charity or preseason friendly match were done in crazy format.

Wat. No it's the other way around. More players = less space, discipline becomes more important, individual quality matters less. To make the game more exciting it should be 10 vs 10

Also no offside rule would ruin the game
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Make PKs like free throws in basketball, the person who was fouled has to take the spot kick. In case of handball, the person who shot or passed the ball that hit the hand.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:35 pm

24 second shot clock
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:47 pm

Yellow cards should be 10 minute ejections like they are at youth and non-division level here in Denmark.

Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:54 pm

rincon wrote:Dont change any rules, just refine the execution of VAR to enforce the current rules.

The correct opinion.

No subjectivity to handling? I'd start chopping off my players arms so that I didn't lose to some stupid bullshit like someone shooting the ball into my arm hanging by my side in a natural position
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:13 pm

I'd be absolutely fine with more subs, like I made a thread about it not too long ago, I don't quite understand why it should be limited to three.

Some pretty wild ideas in here which I don't find very realistic... One I could see as realistic is removing that, in my opinion, stupid rule of 'dangerous play' when someone tries to kick an airball while another player tries to head it. If you are able to kick the ball, you should have the right to do that in all situations. If someone decides to head it instead, it should be on their own responsibility.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:09 am

football is one of the simplest sports, pretty straightforward. any novice can watch a football match for the first time and understand what's going on. its not like nfl nba baseball or other sports where you may ask questions as a novice throughout the game. the only question that may arise in football for a novice is about offsides

for this reason, its absolutely hard for something to be introduces with regards to rules to make it more exciting. the excitement comes from the national associations developing their leagues and footballing bodies developing their tournaments....and money as well, very important.

extra substitutions would just serve as a new tool for coaches to waste time during games. the 4th sub will be left for like the 90th minute when the official has signified how may minutes of added time there would be.

it probably doesn't add for more excitement but i absolutely love the idea by @m99 - the person who was fouled should take the penalty
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:25 am

I don't think I would change anything reaaally, however it would be interesting to watch these elite players play 9v9 or 8v8 on a smaller pitch.

I would expect a fast pace match with more goals.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:42 am

One 10 minute power play for each team that can be started at any time from the 5th - 75th minute.

Power play involves:
Addition of 1 extra player (managers choice)
reduction of 1 player from the opposing team (opposing managers choice)
15 seconds between the ball leaving the pitch and play resuming or the ball is given to the other team

Thumbs up
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutti Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:05 am

Dig up holes randomly across the field, cover them with trapdoors and fake grass, and let a computer open them randomly during game.
Dutti
Dutti
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:50 am

Football is still quite exciting though. What needs to happen is better enforcement of certain rules and within that same thought, a clearer fking rule for handball.

I do like the guy who won the PK should take it rule. Other than that, it's fine as is.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:59 am

Allow follow through or trailing legs after getting the ball in tackling. Makes the game 100 times more intense and interesting. Encourages tackling as well rather than standing off and ball watching nowadays. Fuck that coward mentality. Get stuck in like the old days lads.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:13 pm

I'd introduce actual playing time
But under some indications

To be fair I am not even a great fan of actual time introduction in the football, because it means to upset this sport .
Of course you can't continue on matches long for 90 minutes + actual time, you should make something as 30 + 30 , and tbh I'd not renounce to two half times long 45'.
Anyway the last 10-15 minutes have became pure teather in the football, and I am so tired to watch things as that PSV Eindhoven players who feigns to be dead because he wants to prevent to continue the match to Inter.
Therefore, I 'd introduce actual time for last 10-15 minutes.

Yes, anyone could argue   even now the referee in his watch inserts the actual time (but anyway in his watch, no transparency) and he says it is going to  recover every waste of time, but everyone knows it is a fictitious extratime.

Moreover, if the unsportsman player is aware about the existence of the actual time in last minutes,  he will have to adapt and will not carry out  some unsportsmanlike practices on the pitch , because they are very useless. Certified uselessness.

So I'd introduce actual time for last 10-15 minutes of every match.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:13 pm

For me the easiest change that I think would make the biggest impact is to change the point system in leagues/groups so a tie counts as a loss (0 points) for both teams. Would make games 1000x more exciting because now there’s no incentive to park the bus for a draw. 0-0s would almost completely disappear and the last 5-10 mins of tied games would become exhilarating with both teams going all out for it.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:56 am

Three new rules were used:

1⃣ Self-pass from any set piece (corner/free kick/goal kick etc)
2⃣ Kick-in/self-pass in stead of a throw-in
3⃣ Time penalties in stead of yellow/red cards

The self-pass.

The biggest influence this had on the game was the ball was in play more often. The actual playing time increased from ~60 to ~65 minutes per game.

Surprisingly it did not lead to a significant increase in fast attacks.

Kick-in instead of throw-in.

This was reported by most participants as a more intuitive solution than a throw-in. It also led to an advantage for the attacking side, as it was easier to retain the ball.

Time penalties (5/10 minutes) in stead of yellow/red cards.

Fewer cards were given by quite a margin. The question is whether this was due to players being more careful, or referees thinking the punishment was more severe and thus it wasn't warranted as frequently.

All-in-all opinions of participants, referees and Dutch FA were very positive. IFAB attended the final presentation but seemed to be conservative when it came to giving an opinion. Future experiments will probably be considered.

hmm

Self pass would give attacking too big of advantage and make life hard for defenders (also linesman)
Dont like it
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:32 am

No need to add technical rules and i prefer continuous time. Football should remain simple.

Reacting on the other members suggestions...
Hand ball in the box = penalty
Fouled player takes the PK = makes sense
More substitutions = i think 3 is the perfect amount, i'd give the coach a emergency sub at disposal strictly for injuries, yet i see a risk that players would fake it, so i'd let it at 3

If i can add a suggestion...
Yellow card: stays the same
Orange card: given after 2nd yellow card, sent off for 20 minutes
Red card: given after a unsportsmanship foul, sent off until the end of the match
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:05 am

rincon wrote:Dont change any rules, just refine the execution of VAR to enforce the current rules.
This.

May be additional substitutions for Extra-Time and official Drinks-Breaks when games are played in particularly hot (Like AFCON in July) conditions.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:39 am

I do hate throw ins. Especially as everyone does foul throws anyway. The Sunday league is reffed more stringent on foul throws than professional football.
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:48 am

Salary Cap.

Football is shite now because it's a basically who has money competition.

The same teams win the league every year and usually the CL is the same ( this year won't happen very often)

No one will agree to it because they want to keep the status quo and shut everyone else out but it's what the sport desperately needs.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next