RealGunner
Jay29
LeSwagg James
Doc
Le Samourai
37 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is the term "soccer" acceptable?

Post by CBarca Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:48 am

It's acceptable but I don't agree with it, even from the States.

I constantly confuse others by having to switch between the two different names all the time, since I always use football with people who know what the hell I mean, and soccer with those that don't.

It's a pain Sad

CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is the term "soccer" acceptable?

Post by S32TABLANCA Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:07 am

stevieg8 wrote:
S32TABLANCA wrote:People thinking Vibe is English :bow:

stevieg8 wrote:I never understood the controversy over this. It's called different things in different places, it's not like football/soccer are the only names around the world. I mean, it's freaking "calcio" in Italian (maybe I'm missing some etymological connection with "foot," but the point still stands) and various other terms in other languages. Unsure why anyone should give a s***, it's still the same game.

Calcio=kick. You're welcome.

So in Italian they call it kickball? HOW DARE THEY STEAL OUR SPORT'S NAME FOR SOMETHING THAT IT'S NOT.

(aka, point still stands)

No, in football you kick the ball. Corners, freekicks and penalties are also called calci of different varieties :coffee:
S32TABLANCA
S32TABLANCA
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:47 am

S32TABLANCA wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
S32TABLANCA wrote:People thinking Vibe is English :bow:

stevieg8 wrote:I never understood the controversy over this. It's called different things in different places, it's not like football/soccer are the only names around the world. I mean, it's freaking "calcio" in Italian (maybe I'm missing some etymological connection with "foot," but the point still stands) and various other terms in other languages. Unsure why anyone should give a s***, it's still the same game.

Calcio=kick. You're welcome.

So in Italian they call it kickball? HOW DARE THEY STEAL OUR SPORT'S NAME FOR SOMETHING THAT IT'S NOT.

(aka, point still stands)

No, in football you kick the ball. Corners, freekicks and penalties are also called calci of different varieties :coffee:

i was referring to a playground game we have here that is called "kickball," thus pointing out, through use of sarcasm, the absolute ludicrous nature of the reasons presented by others earlier in the thread. :coffee:
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by animal.crackers Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:57 am

VivaStPauli wrote:If it wasn't for the Americans, you'd all be calling it "Fußball" :coffee:
Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 Tumblr_lu34z16EuC1qgzv8ro1_250
animal.crackers
animal.crackers
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:23 am

I think US would be a great footballing nation if it was there main focus. Apart from all the talent that isnt developed to play football, many foreigners also play but never get the attention they need to go all the way.
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:28 am

Kenneth Wolstenholme used 'soccer' in the 50s-60s.

Personally, when referring to myself playing the sport, I say 'soccer'. e.g. "I have soccer training." Although when I talk about European football or pretty much any football that's on TV, I say 'football'.

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:37 am

Good lord! Why does it matter what it's called in the States?

It's been referred to as soccer in the States mainly due to the overwhelming popularity of American Football (gridiron). That sport is so popular, that it's referred to as football by default. Soccer doesn't have a chance of being the predominant "football" in the States, so it is referred to as soccer. I believe it's a much similar situation to that of Australia. There, Aussie Rules is the predominant sport with the moniker of "football." This is probably why their national team is called the "Socceroos."

Honestly, when I'm talking to people in the US, I call it soccer. When I'm on here, I refer to it as football. It really doesn't take that much mental effort, and it avoids dredging up the latent, but fierce, nationalism that has become so apparent in this thread. Razz
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DRK Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:01 am

If I'm ever talking to a friend about it I call it football and on here I call it football. In my area if you say football people immediately think of American football so I call it soccer. Either way I don't really think its that big of a deal and if I ever drop soccer on an international friend they don't care
DRK
DRK
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by leemhuis Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 am

Calcio means kick.

"The history of Calcio officially stretches back to the 16th Century. However the roots of Calcio can be found in the Roman game of Harpastum.

The most famous game of Calcio took place on 17th February 1530 in Piazza Santa Croce in Florence. At the time the entire city of Florence was under siege from the Medici.

In 1580 a gentleman called Giovanni Bardi published the first set of rules regarding Calcio, approximately three hundred years before the rules of association football were recorded.

Calcio was an incredibly popular game in Italy and its influence even stretched to the Vatican where popes such as Pope Clement VII, Leo IX and Urban VIII were known to play occasionally."
leemhuis
leemhuis
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:06 am

I add my country to the short list that calls the game 'soccer' because there was already a more popular established 'football' code - which also uses hands more than feet and no longer has the Imperial system of measurement to explain the length of the ball. It's like American football, except without the body armour and the only way of scoring is by kicking the ball between two posts in the ground.

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 CatTackle_wideweb__470x317,0

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 Fisher_handball246x316b

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 036117-leo-barry

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 Bestmark2007

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 Cafc_v_efc_1st_ef_26.preview

If you think this is a very, very, strange game... you're competely right. Wink
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by leemhuis Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:08 am

That is why the team are called Socceroos! Or is because of Kangaroos?
leemhuis
leemhuis
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:29 am

leemhuis wrote:That is why the team are called Socceroos! Or is because of Kangaroos?
Both. It's a combination of soccer and kangaroos.

'Footyroos' or 'footballroos' doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Recently, there has been a push to to get people to use the term 'football', e.g. Football Federation Australia is now the name of our National Association. The nickname 'Socceroos', which has been around for around 40 years, is not going to change though.

I would only call the round ball game 'football' if I was talking with a dedicated fan, otherwise it can get very confusing when you start talking about 'football' and the other person thinks you are talking about Australian Rules Football (AFL).

This is because the sports are, of course, not mutually exclusive - fans of soccer also follow AFL and vice-versa. For instance, I became a Milan supporter originally because of the colours of my favourite AFL team, Essendon (look at the last picture I posted in my comment before).
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:54 am

for us american's we really dont have a choice but to call it soccer. football (american) here is KING so we just cant refer to it as that. plus i dont see what the fuss over the term is. when we say soccer you know exactly wtf we're talking about. you guys just have to understand our predicament lol

sometimes we just have to be pompous a-holes and do stuff different than everyone else in the world because we think our way is better, ex. metric system vs. U.S. customary

p.s. American Football doesn't suck.
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by barca 2011 Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:07 am

Even though the english invented it, it's still a bit dumb to call it soccer. It's football in like 99% of the world anyways. I wouldnt say its unacceptable, just annoyingly confusing because to anyone who does call it football, having a talk with other american fans who call it soccer means u always have to go back and correct yourself like "oh, I meant soccer".
barca 2011
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:13 am

barca 2011 wrote:Even though the english invented it, it's still a bit dumb to call it soccer. It's football in like 99% of the world anyways. I wouldnt say its unacceptable, just annoyingly confusing because to anyone who does call it football, having a talk with other american fans who call it soccer means u always have to go back and correct yourself like "oh, I meant soccer".
Not really. I agree with the rest of what you said though. It's too confusing not to call it soccer.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:43 am

Off topic:

They're recently started airing Aussie Rules where I live, and I gotta say that I think I'm a little addicted. It's absolutely fascinating.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:49 am

The Australian NT is called the socceroos, U MAD EUROPE?
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:53 am

fatman123 wrote:The Australian NT is called the socceroos, U MAD EUROPE?
I think the U.S, Canada & Australia are the only countries that call it 'soccer'.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:54 am

Forza Rossoneri wrote:I add my country to the short list that calls the game 'soccer' because there was already a more popular established 'football' code - which also uses hands more than feet and no longer has the Imperial system of measurement to explain the length of the ball. It's like American football, except without the body armour and the only way of scoring is by kicking the ball between two posts in the ground.

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 CatTackle_wideweb__470x317,0

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 Fisher_handball246x316b

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 036117-leo-barry

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 Bestmark2007

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 Cafc_v_efc_1st_ef_26.preview

If you think this is a very, very, strange game... you're competely right. Wink

Arial ping-pong :bow:
For those who haven't watched AFL next time your eating hot chips throw a few to seagulls, they way they squabble for chips is a mirror of AFL players competing for the ball.
In the nicer part of Australia football refers Rugby League
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Forza likes gAyFL :vagi:.

I just realised that when I hear someone say football, I just think association football ... because AFL sucks Razz, and rugby's rugby :L.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:16 pm

beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:Forza likes gAyFL :vagi:.

I just realised that when I hear someone say football, I just think association football ... because AFL sucks Razz, and rugby's rugby :L.

LOL, I actually don't like AFL so that is double deception.

:vagi: :vagi:

All I did was explain was how I became a Milan supporter because of the Essendon's colours. Soccer/football/whatever is the far superior sport IMO. Having said that, I'm not one of those people who is aggressively anti-AFL. I don't mind watching AFL for the spectacle of it, but it's hard to really appreciate certain elements of the game which are simply boring, bereft of skill and rely on brutality rather than creativity.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Se7en wrote:Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 3849
That's what I have been saying for ages, too. Thanks for the perfect illustration Very Happy

BTW, in Germany we say "Fußball" (literally "football") when we mean the real thing and "American Football" (English term) for handegg.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Forza Rossoneri wrote:

All I did was explain was how I became a Milan supporter because of the Essendon's colours. Soccer/football/whatever is the far superior sport IMO. Having said that, I'm not one of those people who is aggressively anti-AFL. I don't mind watching AFL for the spectacle of it, but it's hard to really appreciate certain elements of the game which are simply boring, bereft of skill and rely on brutality rather than creativity.
You didn't like AFL, but you just liked Essendon?

Sounds like wrestling :vagi:.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:43 pm

fatman123 wrote:In the nicer part of Australia football refers Rugby League

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 3 4444c08af531d75f1699dfb4e5cda84e0

Pull the other one. AFL >>>>> Union >>>>> League.

To address the OP, I refer to the game as either soccer or football depending on my company, because in the end clarity is the key to communication and it's a detail which has no bearing on the quality of the conversation, however whenever possible I steer the conversation towards using the term football.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:08 pm

beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:
Forza Rossoneri wrote:

I used to like AFL and follow Essendon when they had Hird and Lloyd playing, but I grew out of AFL somewhat when I started watching far more football. Still, I see no reason to hate AFL.

Being a South Australian, I have no idea what rugby is or the differences between league and union and tbh a whole bunch of guys bending over and ramming into each other doesn't interest me in the slightest.

---

Also, note that the Australians have taken over this thread!
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:59 pm

Forza Rossoneri wrote:
beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:
Forza Rossoneri wrote:

I used to like AFL and follow Essendon when they had Hird and Lloyd playing, but I grew out of AFL somewhat when I started watching far more football. Still, I see no reason to hate AFL.

Being a South Australian, I have no idea what rugby is or the differences between league and union and tbh a whole bunch of guys bending over and ramming into each other doesn't interest me in the slightest.

---

Also, note that the Australians have taken over this thread!
Who're Hird and Lloyd :vagi:.
The difference between Union and League is that in Union, you can keep the ball FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
From the three minutes I watched, at least.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next