RealGunner
Jay29
LeSwagg James
Doc
Le Samourai
37 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the term "soccer" acceptable?

Post by Swanhends Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:28 pm

we can name things whatever we want you weird-cheese-eating surrender monkies

Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the term "soccer" acceptable?

Post by stevieg8 Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:I never understood the controversy over this. It's called different things in different places, it's not like football/soccer are the only names around the world. I mean, it's freaking "calcio" in Italian (maybe I'm missing some etymological connection with "foot," but the point still stands) and various other terms in other languages. Unsure why anyone should give a s***, it's still the same game.

I was about to say you must be American,but then I saw your flag...

Yeah, I am. Is it a stereotype of Americans to not get worked up over something as silly as semantics? I missed that one. :coffee:

The thing is,in America football is not primary and there are things like baseball and handegg.When a non-footballing country renames your sport of course it isn't gonna sound natural...

Also,in Italy they don't call fishing football,or whatever it is they do over there.

So you're problem is less that the English renamed the sport over 100 years ago, but that we call American football by the same name? So don't watch, they'll continue making the most money of any sports league worldwide without you. Not quite sure how your factually inaccurate post has anything to do with my points, though...
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:29 pm

If it wasn't for the Americans, you'd all be calling it "Fußball" :coffee:
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 pm

I sometimes say Football instead of soccer in the states and people get confused/offended lol I think it's ridiculous but not changing anytime soon, or at all for that matter.

The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 pm

stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:I never understood the controversy over this. It's called different things in different places, it's not like football/soccer are the only names around the world. I mean, it's freaking "calcio" in Italian (maybe I'm missing some etymological connection with "foot," but the point still stands) and various other terms in other languages. Unsure why anyone should give a s***, it's still the same game.

Yeah, I am. Is it a stereotype of Americans to not get worked up over something as silly as semantics? I missed that one. :coffee:

The thing is,in America football is not primary and there are things like baseball and handegg.When a non-footballing country renames your sport of course it isn't gonna sound natural...

Also,in Italy they don't call fishing football,or whatever it is they do over there.

So you're problem is less that the English renamed the sport over 100 years ago, but that we call American football by the same name? So don't watch, they'll continue making the most money of any sports league worldwide without you. Not quite sure how your factually inaccurate post has anything to do with my points, though...

If they renamed it el fiesta del cojones in Brazil no one would care...That is my point.America just sucks.
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by justdoit_ Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 pm

Nobody would care if they were calling it soccer in just about any other country besides the US. Who cares.

VivaStPauli wrote:Doesn't change the fact that American Football is a silly, silly game.
Pshht. Says you.
justdoit_
justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guliver90 Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 pm

Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:

don't get all cranky.
in England you guys drive on the wrong side of the road just because you always need to be upside down. English arrogance and superiority complex...while your history explains it...is very, very annoying.
Guliver90
Guliver90
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:

If they renamed it el fiesta del cojones in Brazil no one would care...That is my point.America just sucks.

Ah, gotcha. Well, losing your "first in the world status" to one of your former colonies would make anyone bitter. Very Happy
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by stunt Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:35 pm

I think that instead of relying on a name that is not even used in it's place of origin, Americans could have called our sport "European Football" or "English Football", just like we call theirs "American Football".

stunt
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:36 pm

stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:

Ah, gotcha. Well, losing your "first in the world status" to one of your former colonies would make anyone bitter. Very Happy

LMAO I'm not even English...Those 2 last posts making fun of my cockneyness Laughing
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:38 pm

Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:

LMAO I'm not even English...Those 2 last posts making fun of my cockneyness Laughing

Your flag :vagi:
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:38 pm

el fiesta de cojones :bow:
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guliver90 Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:

i realized you are not really 12...but the flag... :vagi:
Guliver90
Guliver90
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:

Not Miami though. :coffee:
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:

So why do you bear an English flag? Evil or Very Mad
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Guliver90 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:

You don't really think I'm a City fan do you? Laughing
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guliver90 Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Vibe wrote:
Guliver90 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
Vibe wrote:

You don't really think I'm a City fan do you? Laughing

everybody knows Vibe is an Inter fan. It' written in the stars, man. :dance:
Guliver90
Guliver90
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by S32TABLANCA Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:04 pm

People thinking Vibe is English :bow:

Calcio=kick. You're welcome.
S32TABLANCA
S32TABLANCA
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Is the term "soccer" acceptable? - Page 2 3563572_700b_v1
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by che Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:13 pm

huh, so after a year on this forum, people still can't use the *bleep* quote function properly...
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:21 pm

S32TABLANCA wrote:People thinking Vibe is English :bow:

Calcio=kick. You're welcome.

So in Italian they call it kickball? HOW DARE THEY STEAL OUR SPORT'S NAME FOR SOMETHING THAT IT'S NOT.

(aka, point still stands)
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:29 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:If it wasn't for the Americans, you'd all be calling it "Fußball" :coffee:

:bow:
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 pm

JEALOUS HATERS

USA USA USA

and seriously? american football is fun as hell
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by zarola Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:41 pm

I always call it "the sport" to avoid calling it soccer when I'm on the forum or anywhere else online because I feel that it would derail the topic and my point won't be as easily made.

As mentioned before the name for American Football is completely logical: the ball is a foot long. To avoid confusion between soccer and football we simply call it soccer since football is very popular here: get over it.

The thing is, if you say soccer everyone immediately knows which sport you're referring to. If you say FOOTBALL, then you could either be talking about american football or "english" football. I don't see the problem with calling it by either name, it just seems stuck up to get angry about the way someone calls the sport.
zarola
zarola
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:43 pm

Rebaño Sagrado wrote:JEALOUS HATERS

USA USA USA
and seriously? american football is fun as hell
You've got an Argentine flag. :vagi:
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:48 pm

It's acceptable but I don't agree with it, even from the States.

I constantly confuse others by having to switch between the two different names all the time, since I always use football with people who know what the hell I mean, and soccer with those that don't.

It's a pain Sad
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next