Raptorgunner
Jay29
Mr Nick09
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Vertonghen wants Arsenal Empty Vertonghen wants Arsenal

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:42 am

Arsenal have been presented with an invitation to sign the Belgium international Jan Vertonghen as part to the club's efforts to restore their competitiveness in the Premier League and convince key players not to leave them.

Related

■ Salomon Kalou will 'not fight for a new deal' at Chelsea
Experience counts in the psychological warfare
Topic Arsene Wenger Arsenal English Premier League football teams English Premier League (EPL)
The Dutch club Ajax have agreed to allow the versatile left-sided defender to leave if their €13 million (Dh63.7m) asking price is met and the player's preference is to join the London club.

Vertonghen, who turns 25 this month, can play in central defence, left-back or as a holding midfielder.

He has admirers across the continent. The two Manchester clubs have monitored him closely, and Tottenham regard the Belgian as a potential successor to Ledley King.

Part of Arsenal's appeal to Vertonghen is his friendship with international colleague and former Ajax teammate Thomas Vermaelen, who has introduced him to Arsene Wenger on trips to the UK.

A further attraction is London's suitability to Sophie de Vries, Vertonghen's girlfriend, who is pursuing a career as a theatre director.

Vertonghen has said that he will not prioritise financial terms; a salary of £3m (Dh17.6m) is likely at Arsenal. He is, however, keen to have his future determined early in the summer. Last week, he said he hopes to have "clarity" in June.

At the other end of the pitch, Arsenal have contacted Olivier Giroud to assess the France international striker's interest in joining the team. The French first division's leading scorer believes he will be allowed to leave Montpellier for a fee of between €10m to €15m despite his club president's statements that the tall and technically able striker is worth four times that amount.

Wenger already has secured the €13m acquisition of the Germany striker Lukas Podolski, and has discussed taking Salomon Kalou on a free transfer from Chelsea. The Ivory Coast forward has refused to renew his contract at Stamford Bridge, telling friends that his ambition is to play for Arsenal.

Whether this movement will be enough to convince Robin van Persie and Theo Walcott to extend their contracts remains to be seen.

Van Persie will need to be rewarded with Arsenal's richest deal; he has provisionally agreed a contract worth £210,000 a week should he join Manchester City.

Also entering his final year, Walcott has been unimpressed by Wenger's efforts to retain him to date. Asked last week when Arsenal would secure his two leading scorers, Wenger said: "Very early.

"To say that I am always confident, yes, I am. Of course we want to keep our best players.

"These players want to win things and they want to be in a team that has a chance. Our end of season will help … me convince them that they can. It depends now how well we finish."

Arsenal lost 2-1 to QPR on Saturday.

"Newspapers open talks now. They should inform me how much they offer and for how long because I would like to know."

From Duncan Castles on The National
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Vertonghen wants Arsenal Empty Re: Vertonghen wants Arsenal

Post by Jay29 Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:55 am

He can "want" us all he wants. We don't need a defender of that calibre.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:58 am

We cant never have enouph defenders, but the sad part is no one would take Djouru he is on 65k a week. :facepalm:

I dont think we would sign anymore defenders. Mad

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:59 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:He can "want" us all he wants. We don't need a defender of that calibre.

This.

Olivier Giroud on the other hand :hungry:
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by JAY-Z Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:27 am

Every club needs a player like Vertonghten. His versatility..
JAY-Z
JAY-Z
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Sell Squillacci. Get him. Done.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Sell Squid, Djourou is content with the bench or Juve and then we can have the problem of Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Koscielny and Vertonghen, 3 of which can play multiple positions.

If we're analyzing next season in a purely ideal sense where we always have enough defenders playing natural positions then fitting him in would be hard but if we clear out some deadwood in the summer and make sure him coming doesn't affect any other potential transfers financially then I want him. Plus, I'd rather have him here than anywhere else in the EPL.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by usman111 Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:25 pm

why not Very Happy
usman111
usman111
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:29 pm

A team doesn't need four centre backs at that sort of level.

For starters, you don't want to be rotating your central defenders. Vermaelen and Koscielny is the first choice partnership and in order to get best out of it they need to be playing most games. Mertesacker is a great alternative option for when we need to rest someone or someone is injured/suspended. Djourou is a solid backup.

If you replace Djourou with Vertonghen, how do you propose we give him the necessary game time? A player like him would have to be playing every week, because he's too good to simply sit on the bench and be used as a backup. But at the same time, Vermaelen, Koscielny and Mertesacker are also too good not to be playing every week.

Inevitably, someone will have to sit out and this creates problems as it affects their form and confidence and our backline would lack cohesion with a new player coming in and not having enough time to forge a partnership.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:30 pm

I am not being funny but why would Vertonghen join Arsenal to sit on the bench when he can start for Spurs or City?
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by usman111 Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38 pm

the thing is city want to win titles and they need the best players to do it. so it doesnt matter if they replace the good ones with the better ones. their is ambition in city, at arsenal its all about future , future , future....... you might find some one here who will say "why get him when we have bartley and djrouru who will be worldclass in the future"
usman111
usman111
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:39 pm

the thing is verton is better than mertesacker, simple as that. he will be 3rd choice and he will be getting game time. mertesacker will be 4th choice
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:45 pm

REWB wrote:the thing is verton is better than mertesacker, simple as that. he will be 3rd choice and he will be getting game time. mertesacker will be 4th choice

Based on what? Mertesacker is a high class central defender and too good to be 4th choice. Heck, he's too good to be 3rd choice. Plus he's earning £80k p/w and we paid £10mil for him. He should not be a 4th choice defender.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:36 pm

We haven't go the space
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Artilleristen Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:31 pm

He can play LB, which is where I think the team is not good enough. Plus since he can play as a CB we can give Kos and Tv matches off at the same time in an attempt to cut down on injuries, not that we have had a ton of injuries in the center of defense, but would you rather switch Vertonghen and Mert if TV and Kos got injured, or Mert and a combo of Johan and Ignasi?
Artilleristen
Artilleristen
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:40 pm

you guys are saying that we don't need so many good Verm/Kosh type CBs and I agree

and then next season we will be saying the only reason we are 4th is because we had defensive injuries

when are we gonna learn lol
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm surprised (and a little shocked) at how much people underrate Mertesacker :facepalm:
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:01 pm

julias wrote:you guys are saying that we don't need so many good Verm/Kosh type CBs and I agree

and then next season we will be saying the only reason we are 4th is because we had defensive injuries

We are not city lol, we can't sign every player and keep them happy. what happens next season if we start with all centre halves fit. Do you think Mertesacker and Vertonghen will be happy on the bench ??, they are international players ffs
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Our defense was tighter with Mertesacker, IMO. He had his moments, but considering it's his first year of PL football, he did mighty well.

I still maintain my opinion that Koscielny and Vermaelen are too similar to play together. They don't maintain shape well at all.

I agree with all here in that Vertonghen would be too good to ride the bench. Djourou is good enough and there's also Miquel who can be given a chance. We barely play Shitlacci, what's the point of another CB to ride the bench, nevermind what he'd cost in wages and transfer fee. Waste of money.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Having too many really good CBs is a problem I'd pay to have. Especially since we cant keep players healthy
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:37 pm

as much i as i would want him, we can't afford to have another 50k+ bench player,

we should either be promoting a young CB (Bartley or Miquel) or buying one...
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Russell Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:55 am

Ronald de Boer: Vertonghen is better than Vermaelen

:coffee:
Jack Russell
Jack Russell
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:38 am

gunnerlistick wrote:
julias wrote:you guys are saying that we don't need so many good Verm/Kosh type CBs and I agree

We are not city lol, we can't sign every player and keep them happy. what happens next season if we start with all centre halves fit. Do you think Mertesacker and Vertonghen will be happy on the bench ??, they are international players ffs

probably not but I know what I'll be thinking if we have our yearly only-in-one position injury crisis and end up playing miquel and squillaci w/e as a cb pairing Razz
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:19 pm

Lex wrote:I'm surprised (and a little shocked) at how much people underrate Mertesacker :facepalm:
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:22 pm

Legend wrote:as much i as i would want him, we can't afford to have another 50k+ bench player,

we should either be promoting a young CB (Bartley or Miquel) or buying one...

Djouru and Squid are making 60k and 65k a week. :facepalm:

I dont mind giving someone over 50k a week if he is worth it.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next