Tino Asprilla on Dalglish

4 posters

Go down

Tino Asprilla on Dalglish Empty Tino Asprilla on Dalglish

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:29 pm

TINO ASPRILLA today stuck the boot into Kenny Dalglish – and branded the dour Scot: “The man who destroyed the Entertainers.”

Dalglish returns to St James’ Park on Sunday for the powder-keg Premier League clash that could go a long way to deciding whether Tino’s old team qualify for Europe – in a week when painful memories are sure to be evoked.

The former Newcastle boss arrived on Tyneside in 1997 hoping to lift the Premier League title, but only succeeded in dismantling one of the greatest teams in the Magpies’ history as he incredibly sold Peter Beardsley, David Ginola, Les Ferdinand, Lee Clark, John Beresford, Robbie Elliott – and the talisman himself, Asprilla.

Dalglish did lead the black-and-whites to the Champions League, but his wrecking spree on Tyneside broke up Kevin Keegan’s dream team – to the fury of the Toon Army.

Worse still, Dalglish then caused astonishment at St James’ Park by replacing the terrace favourites with veterans like John Barnes, Ian Rush, Stuart Pearce and virtual unknowns like Des Hamilton and Garry Brady.

Asprilla told the Chronicle: “When Kenny Daglish arrived at Newcastle I had heard so many good things about him.

“And I could not wait to play for him.

“Anyone who achieves so much as a player like he did you would naturally expect him to do well as a manager.

“This was not the case. Within months he had the team playing a style that was alien to most of us and he started to sell some of our star players.

“The stars like Ginola, Ferdinand and Beardsley were moved on.

AS United prepare to take on Liverpool, former Toon star Tino Asprilla gives his verdict on Kenny Dalglish’s time in the St James’ hot seat.

“It was a team that could have gone on to win the league, having come so close in 1996.

“But instead we were broken up and the dream faded. I was sad to see Dalglish destroy the team.”

Asprilla endured a fraught relationship with Dalglish.

And even after the pair’s finest hour together when Asprilla scored a hat-trick against Barcelona in the Champions League in 1997, he didn’t manage to nail the permanent run in the side he was looking for.

The 1997-98 season in question resulted in Newcastle tumbling from second place to 13th – a situation Tino feels he could have rectified.

Asprilla, who has always claimed he would never have quit Newcastle had Keegan left, said: “I found myself out of the side and on the bench.

“I did not feel that this was fair and knew that given the chance I could turn around our average season.

“I did not complain, I just did my training and waited for my chances, but they were few and far between.”

The relationship couldn’t be resolved. Newcastle papered over the cracks of their horrendous league form by beating Stevenage, Tranmere, Barnsley and Sheffield United to reach the FA Cup final and Asprilla was sold back to Parma.

Asprilla said: “My departure was a sad day for me and I wish things could have been different.

“I have no malice towards Kenny, but with hindsight I think the club and the fans realise now that he was not the right man for the job.”

GOAT Tino :bow: , he's right btw.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Tino Asprilla on Dalglish Empty Re: Tino Asprilla on Dalglish

Post by Zealous Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:32 pm

Why would you sell Peter Beardsley? That guy was f*cking good FFS.

Les and Ginola were good too.

:bow:
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Yep Zeal this is the main reason iam so negative towards Dalglish he destroyed one of the best teams we ever had and one that was very close to winning the league, NOT ONCE BUT TWICE.

And look at the players he replaced them with :facepalm:

I wont say what i really think of him, because id probably get banned but i dont rate him or like him lets say that.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:40 pm

If it helps KD still isn't that much of a coach.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Struggling with one club does not overshadow the success he has had elsewhere in his managerial career. (not aimed at Mole, as his opinions are understandable; Zeal, on the other hand, is talking shite Very Happy )
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:31 pm

I wouldnt dream of ignoring Dalglish's achievements at Liverpool in his first stint and at Blackburn but its hard for me to ignore his performance as manager for my club.

He ruined one of the best sides we ever had and replaced them with players well into thier 30s we went from arguably the best team in the league to between relegation and mid-table in 1 season.

And i cant forgive him for that.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Asprilla>>>

My colombian brother from another mother
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:43 pm

As I said, it wasn't aimed at you.

RedOranje wrote:(not aimed at Mole, as his opinions are understandable)

See?
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:43 pm

I know Red, iam just making my point Smile
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce