Emaharg
The Franchise
EarlyPrototype
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Why Arsenal lost Empty Why Arsenal lost

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:46 pm

1. Movement: I was honestly shocked at the movement or should I say lack of movement from the Arsenal players especially in the first half. They looked like they were in a training session. Moving the ball back and forth without any of the players really making any runs or creating any space for their team mates. I watch Arsenal nearly every week and it wasn't the same team that I watch regularly. A better collective effort and the results could have been massively different.
The CB's also had minimal protection from Song who had a very poor night not to mention he was covering a very very rusty Vermaelan. He didn't know when to drop of Ibra or when to close him down.

2. Lack of width: I don't know if this was due to the clipping of Arsenal's wings (what ever Milan did to the pitch), but in no way did Arsenal take advantage of Milan's narrow game. They played with no wingers and played nearly all their game centrally. Walcott was the one I was expecting to take advantage of that, but he barely made any runs in behind Antonini the duel between them was one of the key battles imo. Rosicky was a pile of crap lol. Barely any contribution to defense and hardly any impact in the final 3rd. What is he still doing at Arsenal? do you gunners actually rate him?

3. A couple of tactical brain farts from Wenger. What was he expecting when he brought on Henry? that he was going to single handed change the game around? If anything he should have brought on Chamberlain who was Arsenal's brightest spark on the pitch. Looked like a threat as soon as he came on. Arsenal's lack of options from the bench is worrying. Get back into the market Wenger!

4. Bad luck: Only Arsenal would concede from a Robinho header lol. Scored twice actually.
Missing Wilshere was the worst thing that could have happened to Arsenal (apart from RVP). The outcome would have been completely different had he played. He was the main reason Arsenal beat Barca last year. The Arsenal midfield would have been built around him today if he was fit.
Subbing out Koscileny because of injury was another big blow. He was great when on the pitch don't let the score line deceive you.
The penalty could easily have not been given too I guess.
Second goal was offside too.

5. Lastly, but not least AC Milan were at their best today. Credit to all the players especially Ibra. Finally stepped up in the knock out stages.

Your input would be welcomed.

Last edited by EarlyPrototype on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Why Arsenal lost Empty Re: Why Arsenal lost

Post by The Franchise Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:57 pm

About point 1. I dont think anything was Song's fault. None of the goals came from his area.

About 2. I think playing Rosicky was a mistake. He plays centrally and this just plays into Milan's hands. Walcott couldnt make any runs in behind because all passes from the midfield were rushed because of the Milan pressure. To get balls in behind, the passer needs time and he needs to be a reasonable distance to make it accurate. Neither happened.

3. I agree to an extent, I didnt like Rosicky in the 11 and I didnt think Wenger made the adjustments. However, I felt Henry was a good move and he created a good chance while holding the ball up well.

4. Allowing a Robinho header was not luck, it was bad defending. I agree they missed Jack, he could of made a big difference in this game with his ability in tight spaces and under pressure.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Emaharg Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:01 pm

1) Agreed we moved the ball into wide areas and no one made runs into the box, this is an old problem with Arsenal many times you watch us our only players in the box from crosses is the opposite side winger and RVP. The midfielder should be making runs as well. Defensively Milan attacking players made us look like a joke, playing a high line Milan just played balls over the top and we never adapted. Robinho's goal no one tracked his run we had 3 defenders in the box and couldn't track one player.

2) Milan defended deep and since Walcott never really took players on he was useless, Rosicky cut inside a few times and made some decent shots but again with only 1 or 2 targets in the box vs the likes of Silva and Mexes we were never going to score.

3)Yea he made some mistakes, Chamberlain should of started as he has been very good past month or so. Ramsey while scoring vs Sunderland has not been very good.

4) Bad Luck is just an excuse, we knew Gervinho would be at AFCON when we signed him. Wilshere we knew was out and could of signed someone in January if Wenger thought we needed to. They lost Seedorf too so can't really complain about Kos going off.

5) Milan adapted to our lack of pressing and high line and teared us apart, they were not getting closed down and took lots of good long shots. Ibra held the ball up well and made some great passes. They also did what you need to do in big matches and finished their chances.
Emaharg
Emaharg
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:03 pm

Milan's obvious vulnerability was always going to be the wings, but even if Arsenal could've exploited that weakness, who would they have crossed too? Van Persie? Ramsey? scratch

I was also struck by how badly Arsenal struggled to cope with the movement...surely if there is one thing the EPL DOESN'T lack, its movement no?
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:04 pm

I also felt Van Bommel got too much time on the ball. Once or twice, RVP would sort of close down TS, Rambo would venture up towards Mexes, Walcott and Rosicky while not pressing where at least somewhere around the two fullbacks.

But all it took was the fullbacks to go high and wide, Mexes or TS (whoever doent have the ball) can go wide and it was easy to find Van Bomell who had no pressure and could turn easily.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:06 pm

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:Milan's obvious vulnerability was always going to be the wings, but even if Arsenal could've exploited that weakness, who would they have crossed too? Van Persie? Ramsey? scratch

I was also struck by how badly Arsenal struggled to cope with the movement...surely if there is one thing the EPL DOESN'T lack, its movement no?

I agree, but I think Milans movement is very different to what they are used to.

Two "strikers" Ibra and Robinho moved out wide sometimes, then one would come deep and then Prince Boateng would run over to the top. Emanuelson and Nocerino would go wider than you expect for centermids and there was generally alot of moment you dont usually see.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:08 pm

Agree with franchise
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by red&blacklegion Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:08 pm

I think Nocerino and Emanuelson did a wonderful job on supporting their defenders.
red&blacklegion
red&blacklegion
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:09 pm

The thing I noticed with Song was that he never knew when to drop off Ibra or close him down. Ibra and Robinho both played "false" positions leaving Song not knowing what to do at times. His ball playing wasn't up to scratch too.

And about the Robinho thing, he always misses easy chances, but tonight he scored 2 vs Arsenal lol. It was just a slight dig at Robinho. Was obviously down to Arsenal's poor defending though.

Chamberlain used the width much better than Walcott did which is what I basically thought Walcott should have done. He needed to work Antonini more and take him on more.

And yeh Bhends Arsenal's poor movement was a surprise.

EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by red&blacklegion Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:12 pm

But Robinho didnt really head the ball,Ibras shot was aimed to his head ,so it would deflect in the goal. Laughing
red&blacklegion
red&blacklegion
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:15 pm

Agree, I felt all Song could really be done is watch his position in front of the defence and not get caught following Ibra or Robinho into wide areas.

Yeah, get what you mean about Robson. He isnt an expert finisher at all, but as soon as he scored it reminded me of his goals vs Arsenal for Man City. Maybe he likes playing vs them.

I agree Ox used the wide areas better than Theo, but to be fair to Theo, once Milan were 3-0 up they didnt apply the same pressure and Arsenal were more able to come forward.

I think one mistake Wenger did. If they werent going to press high, then surely RVP should of dropped onto Van Bommel and not allow him to start the play so easily. Let the centerbacks play the ball from longer, but Van Bommel shouldnt be given that much time.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Yeh you make a good point about RVP not dropping deep. I haven't even thought about that lol. RVP could have made life for Milan so much harder, but I guess that falls under the lack of movement.

Btw if you look at each Milan goal individually.

1. That was a stunning finish from KPB. 9/10 he would have missed.

2. Ibra was offside

3. Vermaelan slipped

4. That penalty decision could have gone both ways

Milan played Arsenal off the park, but imo the score line very easily could have been different.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:21 pm

1. Agree

2. Agree. btw, the reason for the poorer quality pitch on the wings was the fact that it was only laid recently. We did not deliberately plough it or something. Razz Nevertheless, we used the flanks to good effect, no reason why Arsenal couldn't have.

3. Agree

4. Bad luck with injuries is just an excuse. Boateng, Abbiati and Pato were rushed back into the squad after 3-4 weeks of being injured, the very important Nesta was missing and a whole string of other players (Merkel, Flamini, Strasser, Yepes, Cassano, etc.) were also injured.

The penalty was certainly not heavy contact, but Djourou played the man instead of the ball and illegally dispossessed Ibra. It would have been unfair not to give the penalty, so it was the obvious decision to make really.

5. Agree. Robinho played his best game all year. Boateng, van Bommel and Ibrahimovic were superb.

Last edited by Forza Rossoneri on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:22 pm

Perhaps it could of been, but I have to say Milan were probably worth their 4 goal win. Especially when the game was really in play the first hour, they were very superior.

But yes, the result could of been different.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:28 pm

Milan outplayed them, simple.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Why Arsenal lost NO_SHIT_SHERLOCK_by_NooShitSherlockplz
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:44 pm

zonal_marking wrote:In one of their long-running spats at the turn of the century, Arsene Wenger once commented upon Sir Alex Ferguson, saying that “His weakness is that he doesn’t think he has a weakness.” Wenger’s weakness is that he doesn’t seem to know his side’s strength.
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Why Arsenal lost Dailyfail

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:57 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

:facepalm:
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:58 pm

El Chelsea Fuerte wrote:Why Arsenal lost Dailyfail

:bow: +1
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:59 pm

EarlyPrototype wrote:

1. That was a stunning finish from KPB. 9/10 he would have missed.

2. Ibra was offside

3. Vermaelan slipped

4. That penalty decision could have gone both ways
Only thing i disagree with. Penalty was legit
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:06 am

Kinda agree. Way too much contact and zero ball. Once Ibra went down, it was over with.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:40 am

El Chelsea Fuerte wrote:Why Arsenal lost Dailyfail

Looool.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:13 am

Why Arsenal lost?

Its simple,they are not good enough.

Walcott will be a bench player at best for top teams.Ramsey wouldnt start for Malaga.They overrate their players and coach to max and in the end they just look at each other and asks what went wrong.

Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:12 am

Adit wrote:Ramsey wouldnt start for Malaga
That's because you wouldn't find a player of Ramsey's calibre at such a shit team
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next