Lex
billionmillion
che
Le Samourai
paperbackwriter
32 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Messi GOAT claimers who hate on CR7... Empty Messi GOAT claimers who hate on CR7...

Post by paperbackwriter Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:58 am

More and more voices in the Messi symphony are starting to sing "GOAT", still the same posters/fans usually are the ones who love to hate on Ronaldo, claiming something along the line that he's not fit to shine Messis boots.

Still the same posters now see Messis three in a row Ballon d'Ors as further proof that Messi is on his way to GOAT status. There is a big hole in the logic here. For Messis Ballon d'Ors to be worth anything in a historical context, he must be challanged by great contemporary footballers. Otherwise he'll go down in history as the best player during an era with not much competition. So for Messi to be considered great and for the Ballon d'Ors to have any weight, Ronaldo must be considered great in a historical context too.

Messi fans are currently raging about the three Ballon d'Ors, which in fact puts Messi in the same bracket as Cruyff, Van Basten and Platini on an individual award levels. God knows how many Ballon d'Ors Pele and/or Maradona would have won if they were eligible. But lets look at the competition those players faced from contemporary footballers. Cruyff played at the same time as players like Best, Müller, Zoff, Beckenbauer and Mazzola among others. Platini played at the same time as Schuster, Rossi, Dalglish, Rummenigge and Lineker. Van Basten played at the same time as Baresi, Matthaus, Butragueno, Bergkamp, Stoichkov and Baggio among others.

All legendary footballers in their own right.

But what about Messi? If you'd have it the Barca/Messi fanboys way, Ronaldo is a glorified pretty boy with not much talent, the only other players in the world fit to be called historical greats are ofcourse his team mates Xavi, Iniesta and maybe Dani Alves. The second best player and constant competition for Ballon d'Or? Not so much.

See the flawed logic here? I'm not claiming that Messi is not the best player of our time nor that he's not comparable to the best the game have seen. But you can't have it both ways, he can't be GOAT without harsh competition.
paperbackwriter
paperbackwriter
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Messi GOAT claimers who hate on CR7... Empty Re: Messi GOAT claimers who hate on CR7...

Post by Le Samourai Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14 am

........................Messi is not THE GOAT.

When Ronaldo actually does win Competitions watch the balance shift and people start calling him the best or even the GOAT.It's inevitable because people overreact.

Messi is the most talented player I've ever seen tho , a blind man could see that and he is translating that talent into sucess so I don't see any reason why hec can't become the GOAT.He has GOAT potential.........

I don't think Ronaldo has GOAT potential sorry.....not aknock on him....that's just the way it is.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Messi GOAT claimers who hate on CR7... Empty Re: Messi GOAT claimers who hate on CR7...

Post by paperbackwriter Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:22 am

ragbirjosh wrote:........................Messi is not THE GOAT.

When Ronaldo actually does win Competitions watch the balance shift and people start calling him the best or even the GOAT.It's inevitable because people overreact.

Messi is the most talented player I've ever seen tho , a blind man could see that and he is translating that talent into sucess so I don't see any reason why hec can't become the GOAT.He has GOAT potential.........

I don't think Ronaldo has GOAT potential sorry.....not aknock on him....that's just the way it is.

Ronaldo don't have GOAT potential if he doesn't suddenly reach some kind of higher prime in his 26-30s, which I don't think he will if there isn't some big change (for example, convert him to CF along with development and he has the potential to be one of the greatest CFs of all time). I agree. And it's not the point, But Ronaldo is putting out similar numbers to Messi in La Liga with a lesser team. He's performing on a similar level with his NT and he have already established himself as a Man Utd legend and certainly will be a Real Madrid legend aswell as possibly the greatest goal scorer in Real Madrid history (112 goals in 114 games so far).

Still Messi is "GOAT", and Ronaldo is nothing special?
paperbackwriter
paperbackwriter
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:59 am

paperbackwriter wrote:

Cruyff played at the same time as players like Best, Müller, Zoff, Beckenbauer and Mazzola among others. Platini played at the same time as Schuster, Rossi, Dalglish, Rummenigge and Lineker. Van Basten played at the same time as Baresi, Matthaus, Butragueno, Bergkamp, Stoichkov and Baggio among others.

lol, moar revisionist bullshit please

in 20 years people will remember that messi played at the same time as the likes of henry, iniesta, van persie and etoo and all of them will be revered as legends of the game... similarly, the same people will be acting like the back-in-my-day douchebags of today who judge players from 20-30-40 years ago by youtube videos and a few matches

just because you can't appreciate current players doesn't mean they're not good
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:04 pm

This is a childish argument. goals or stats doesnt make you great. otherwise all golden shoe winners would be considered in the same level as cryuff platini maradona. but who remembers all time top scorer of barcelona? or r.madrid?very few fans. People rate players by performances and their contribution at winning titles. after 50 years if anybody watches one of el clasicos he will not rate CR as a legend

about current competitors level, as che said with time and nostalgia todays player will be considered in the same level as past players
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:14 pm

When is Ronaldo going to win these competitions? I'm not getting any younger here.............
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:14 pm

messi is not the goat.....hes goat potential but he does need a WC to compete with pele and maradona
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:17 pm

will argentina ever win a WC???
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by baresi Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:19 pm

billionmillion wrote:This is a childish argument. goals or stats doesnt make you great. otherwise all golden shoe winners would be considered in the same level as cryuff platini maradona. but who remembers all time top scorer of barcelona? or r.madrid?very few fans. People rate players by performances and their contribution at winning titles. after 50 years if anybody watches one of el clasicos he will not rate CR as a legend

about current competitors level, as che said with time and nostalgia todays player will be considered in the same level as past players
If that was true we would have seem Snijeder winning one in his treble season, but I guess its more about "fanboyism".
baresi
baresi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:21 pm

halamadrid2 wrote:will argentina ever win a WC???
i think they might win it in 2018,but no chance they are having a good campaign in 2014.

i can assure you that in every argentina game there will be 3/4 of the stadium cheering for the opposition and booing the feck out of gentina :coffee:
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

ooohh yh remembered that the WC is in Brazil, but i was thinking more in the lines of are they good enough???
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:03 pm

Ganso wrote:messi is not the goat.....hes goat potential but he does need a WC to compete with pele and maradona

Winning a World Cup is all about chance. If you arent born in the right generation of team mates you are not winning it, it's that simple. I hate this arguement. The entire NT flops like a saggy nut sack and it's Messi's fault for some reason for not taking them to glory
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:09 pm

halamadrid2 wrote:will argentina ever win a WC???

Maybe not in Messi's career. But does he really need it? Cruyff and Di Stefano didn't.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Of course people are gonna expect Messi to lead Argentina to glory and it's only in that sense that people are gonna blame him for Argentina's failures. It's god damn harsh and wrong but it is how it is. You really think it's Cristiano's fault that Portugal don't do as well as they should: nope but he gets the fair amount of the blame. Why? Because he is their talisman.

The same applies to Messi. I know it isn't Messi's fault Argentina under achieve. They have been under achieving since 1994 (judging from the talent that consistently appears every 4 years), I doubt Messi can stop that from not continuing. But it is really hard to really claim GOAT status without a World Cup.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:19 pm

The WC thing is utter tripe.......

WC is not even the biggest stage anymore ffs.......

Cruyff and Di Stefano didnt need it and neither does Messi, if you dominate enough at club level then WC is irrelevant.....

Does anyone really think if Messi wins the next 2 Balon D'or that he wont be considered a GOAT?

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:23 pm

windkick wrote:
Ganso wrote:messi is not the goat.....hes goat potential but he does need a WC to compete with pele and maradona

Winning a World Cup is all about chance. If you arent born in the right generation of team mates you are not winning it, it's that simple. I hate this arguement. The entire NT flops like a saggy nut sack and it's Messi's fault for some reason for not taking them to glory
but most of the time Pele and Maradona are considered as the GOAT,in the end of the day Cruyff,Di stefano,Baggio etc are just football greats imo
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Not sure if you realise but people are literally calling Messi the greatest of all time Mole. Not one of or a part of but literally the greatest player ever. Not even old man Johan and grumpy old man Don Alfredo are given such a title and both probably deserve it in their own right.

Should not having a WC define Messi's career: f-ing no. The man is on course of being an absolute football legend but to be really considered the (silly) title of being the greatest ever, he's gonna need to win that wonderful gold statue.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Doc wrote:Not sure if you realise but people are literally calling Messi the greatest of all time Mole. Not one of or a part of but literally the greatest player ever. Not even old man Johan and grumpy old man Don Alfredo are given such a title and both probably deserve it in their own right.

Should not having a WC define Messi's career: f-ing no. The man is on course of being an absolute football legend but to be really considered the (silly) title of being the greatest ever, he's gonna need to win that wonderful gold statue.
yeah,thats what i meant
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:32 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:The WC thing is utter tripe.......

WC is not even the biggest stage anymore ffs.......

Cruyff and Di Stefano didnt need it and neither does Messi, if you dominate enough at club level then WC is irrelevant.....

Does anyone really think if Messi wins the next 2 Balon D'or that he wont be considered a GOAT?

This.

The WC isn't the best tournament. Most prestigious? Yes, but the cl has overtaken the world cup on every level. Messi has dominated it like no other, possibly with the exception of Di Stefano. The guy is smashing records left right and centre.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Doc wrote:Of course people are gonna expect Messi to lead Argentina to glory and it's only in that sense that people are gonna blame him for Argentina's failures. It's god damn harsh and wrong but it is how it is. You really think it's Cristiano's fault that Portugal don't do as well as they should: nope but he gets the fair amount of the blame. Why? Because he is their talisman.

The same applies to Messi. I know it isn't Messi's fault Argentina under achieve. They have been under achieving since 1994 (judging from the talent that consistently appears every 4 years), I doubt Messi can stop that from not continuing. But it is really hard to really claim GOAT status without a World Cup.

No, the Portuguese expect CR to be their talisman. Right now, he not reached anywhere near level that expectation and hasn't really ever done so for his national team.

His performances have been nowhere near how they have been for his club.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 pm

People are already calling Barca the GOAT, dont mean its true tho.......

Point is if you dominate at club level enough then the WC means diddly squat....

Messi has already dominated more at club level than Maradona ever did ffs....

Pele is the only one who dominated at International and Club level from the GOAT list....

And thats mainly because the team he played with was full of GOAT's Laughing

WC propels your name into the stratosphere, but if you dominate enough year in year out it is not necessary.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:35 pm

Doc wrote:Not sure if you realise but people are literally calling Messi the greatest of all time Mole. Not one of or a part of but literally the greatest player ever. Not even old man Johan and grumpy old man Don Alfredo are given such a title and both probably deserve it in their own right.

The idea of a single goat is laughable at best. For me there is an elite group of players and Messi is in that list arm.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:35 pm

Arquitecto wrote:
Doc wrote:Of course people are gonna expect Messi to lead Argentina to glory and it's only in that sense that people are gonna blame him for Argentina's failures. It's god damn harsh and wrong but it is how it is. You really think it's Cristiano's fault that Portugal don't do as well as they should: nope but he gets the fair amount of the blame. Why? Because he is their talisman.

No, the Portuguese expect CR to be their talisman. Right now, he not reached anywhere near level that expectation and hasn't really ever done so for his national team.

Euro 2004?CR made it with portugal to the final and performed well no?(didnt watch it,thats what i hear)
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:37 pm

Ganso wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:

Euro 2004?CR made it with portugal to the final and performed well no?(didnt watch it,thats what i hear)

He did perform well.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:39 pm

Arquitecto wrote:

ARFFFF!!!!!

Euro 2004, World Cup 2006. He performed very well.
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next