The Messiah
lenear1030
Art Morte
justdoit_
FennecFox7
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

are shorter people better at football Empty are shorter people better at football

Post by FennecFox7 Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:55 pm

Many players like maradona, pele, messi are all short.

What I am saying is, why don't 6'8 people or something like that play just as good?
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

are shorter people better at football Empty Re: are shorter people better at football

Post by justdoit_ Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:57 pm

Limited mobility for the tall guys, i'm 6'6" and the only way I can cope with quick, small strikers is playing rough and using my length.
justdoit_
justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs

Back to top Go down

are shorter people better at football Empty Re: are shorter people better at football

Post by Art Morte Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:59 pm

Short people are better suited for some key aspects in football, like dribbling and ball control. Just like tall people are better suited for basketball or volleyball.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Art Morte wrote:Short people are better suited for some key aspects in football, like dribbling and ball control. Just like tall people are better suited for basketball or volleyball.

yes.

too bad i played the wrong sport growing up. i couldve been world class...
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:08 pm

There are more short people in the world, but never before has short people become this good in football the likes of Xavi & his nephews.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:12 pm

It is not a matter of being automatically better. It is about abusing your advantages and coping with your disadvantages.

Ibrahimovitch is a tall guy, yet moves with rare grace.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:20 pm

You can be tall and technical. Most tall guys nowadays are crap with their feet, though. The game has evolved to focus on the physical side, which means tall guys are huge, strong, fast, but total shit in other aspects of the game. It doesn't have to be that way.

What do you define by "tall", anyways? 180 - 190 I consider tall and you can find many technical players in this area.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:25 pm

but ibra used to be short.. thats why he has those skills
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:28 pm

I guess it depends on where they play. Shorter people have it more difficult when playing as goal keepers...
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:31 pm

rwo power wrote:I guess it depends on where they play. Shorter people have it more difficult when playing as goal keepers...

and yes of course as a CB's
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by InvalidComment Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:31 pm

Giggity5313 wrote:but ibra used to be short.. thats why he has those skills

lol,everybody used to be short
InvalidComment
InvalidComment
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:33 pm

InvalidComment wrote:
Giggity5313 wrote:but ibra used to be short.. thats why he has those skills

lol,everybody used to be short

Mad
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by xabi Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Shorter people have an advantage that they recieve for example a freekick much easier than tall people when going into challanges. Also shorter people seem to be alot quicker at changing directing, better agillity and balance then tall players like caroll or ibra which often can feel clumsy on the field.

The rules are defenitely an advantage to short people imo.. they can just go down on the ground easily when a big guy tries to take the ball and it looks brutal.

If Ibra was short he would be equal to messi imo
xabi
xabi
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:09 pm

i think you mean attacking footballers, beacause size and strength is what make better CB's Goalies and depending on there role midfielders.....it is about balance and low center of gravity, they are more agile because they have less weight to shift, shorter legs allows them to keep the ball closer to there body while running at full pace because there strides are not as long.....being short and a attacker is an advantage....but it depends on the position you play, because a man like vidic is a better footballer in the sense of what his position is then a lot of average attack players

i'm 6'2 (188cm) and played CM my whole life...and goal keeper when i was younger as i was the only kid who could reach the cross bar lol Laughing
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:16 am

It depends, if you consider 1.70 short, then maybe. But truth is, that very short people is not suited for football. There are very few professional players under 1.68cm. In la liga, probably only Pablo Piati.

So I think that while being short has some advantadges, it can also be a disadvantadge.

On the other side, it is very rare to find skilled attacking players over 1.88.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:51 am

Well, I just checked - Philipp Lahm is 1.70m - I always thought he was smaller. But then, it's probably because one sees him often next to Manuel Neuer when the camera pans over the German team in international matches Very Happy
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by ChollaVille Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:31 am

Lets see:

Average: 180
Short: 170
Big: 190

Ibra 195
van Basten 188
Cruyff 180
Ronaldo 183
Cristiano 186
Shevchenko 183
Henry 188
Zidane 185
Rivaldo 186
Figo 180
Ronaldinho 182
Batistuta 185
Džeko 193
Gomez 189
Llorente 195
Trezeguet 190
Ballack 189
Lampard 184
Gerrard 183
Vieri 186
etc etc...
ChollaVille
ChollaVille
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:42 am

im 173..

Im to quick and agile for my defenders .. :coffee:

ADVANTAGE...
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:43 am

But you lose out in physical battles and 1v1 running shoulder to shoulder.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:58 pm

yeah, but you can just turn though
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:01 pm

both of the ronaldos are above 180cm and they have great technical abilities as does ibrahimovic, ronaldinho, di maria etc.... technical skill has nothing to do with height. the only difference is that smaller people have a lower center of gravity which makes them more agile than their taller counterparts.
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:05 pm

Idrisozet wrote:There are more short people in the world, but never before has short people become this good in football the likes of Xavi & his nephews.

yes, xavi is better than Maradona and pele. Get a grip. SCholes.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:08 pm

Another thing people overlook is the fact that there are far more people under 6 ft than there are way over is. So out of hundreds of 5 ft 7 footballers a few are bound to be exceptional whereas out of a handful of pro footballers who are 6"6 + the chances are slim.

Obviously smaller people are better at skills etc but being a target man can be just as good for the team.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:38 pm

You can put 50 midgets in a team and hope they play like Barca, but they won't. It's all about the style, training and education.

Any large player can be very technical if they train that part of their game. ChocaVille made a nice list.

It's just nowadays most big dudes completely focus on their physical side and end up headless chickens.

180 cm isn't the average size, anyways... at least not in the Americas and some parts of Europe. Definitely not in Asia.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:22 pm

Well, in Germany around 1.80m it is for the guys Very Happy

Interesting stats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_height
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next