BeautifulGame
RedOranje
mr-r34
36 posters

Page 9 of 42 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 25 ... 42  Next

Go down

Our Squad - Page 9 Empty Re: Our Squad

Post by McAgger Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:54 am

Borini out??? Shocked He hasn't even had enough game time to prove himself. Much too harsh. He's only 21 too. I think he'll come good with time.

McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:27 am

donttreadonred wrote:Kaka? No, Eriksen isn’t Kaka, either. I actually think Eriksen is slightly more versatile, but not the virtuoso that Kaka was at his prime. In fact, forget that reference altogether. It was never made to suggest a substantial comparison.

I would agree that with our current setup I don’t think we use/are in particular need of a pure CAM. Without departures, I would say that a CB (or two), LB, DM and ST should be our priorities. Our defense is at best prone to errors and at worst somewhat soft. We lack real cover at the LB position. Johnson is a good fullback, but I’d rather not have to move our best full back around and play teenagers in the other position. Allen had a decent spell as a DM early in the season, but he’s no Lucas. We could really use a physical player alla Sissoko (I wouldn’t be so pleased with Diame, though) to sit in front of the defense when Lucas isn’t available or when we want to lock down a game. Ideally, this would be a player that can pass as well. Capoue would be great, but is likely a class above what we are willing to spend in this area. We could also use another striker capable of playing in Sturridge’s role. I still have hope that this can be Borini. Even so, we could stand another striker. One more decent shout is Ngoo. He’s been playing well for Hearts and might just be ready for a few appearances next season.

I’m not so sure that we’re going to be buying for a specific, formational role, such as the CAM in a 4-2-3-1 or a right wide-forward in a 4-3-3. We’ve seen Rodgers adapt tactics to get the most out of the squad this season and not necessarily use players where they’ve been pigeon-holed (see Downing, Henderson, Shelvey, and Enrique). Because of this, I think we will see signings both to address specific needs such as CB and LB, and to improve the quality of the squad/plan for the future. It seems that we’re scouting De Vrij fairly heavily. He’s likely to be targeted to fill the need at CB. Eriksen, however, is likely to be a general upgrade to the squad, capable of being a star player in the side for years to come.

A lot of supporters forget that Suarez was a similar signing. At the time we were scouting Suarez, Torres was still very much an integral part of the squad. It’s only down to Torres’s emotional instability that they never were able to line up together. I think Eriksen may be viewed as a long-term successor to Gerrard as the preeminent midfielder in the squad. I’m not saying they’re currently a similar player, and they could even be used in the same squad with their current roles. I’m saying that in the next few seasons we will need to replace Gerrard’s quality in the middle of the pitch. While we may not be in dire need of Eriksen now, the opportunity to pick up a high-level talent that can contribute for years to come is not one that we should pass up.

Now we're just arguing for the sake of it and agreeing with most of what each other is saying haha. I don't feel we need a LB. I rate Kelly highly and Wisdom is reliable enough to play at RB with a solid defence. Moving Glen to LB isn't a problem. Infact, he probably enjoys it more as he has the ability to cut in and shoot more. I just prefer him on the right as of now as he is the ONLY threat on the right hand side.

Regarding CM, I like Diame a lot but I do feel we should go with someone else. We missed our chance to sign Diame at the start of the season before West Ham picked him up. Tidy player with a massive engine. We really would of benefited with him in the squad.

I also can't agree with the Suarez / Torres and Eriksen / Gerrard part. Suarez was bought to play with Torres, not replace him. If Suarez replaced anyone it would be a prime Steven Gerrard, forcing Gerrard to play deeper in midfield. Similiarly to what he's doing now with the Alonso role.

Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't look at Eriksen. I just don't feel Eriksen should be Liverpool's main signing in the summer. I feel we have other priorities (again CM -Sissoko/Diame type, RF, CB and GK) before we go out and splash the signing on Eriksen. Like somebody posted above, Liverpool has talented young players. We just lack that experience in the final third which makes us wasteful infront of goal. Eriksen, as good as he is for his age, isn't that experienced. And he's pretty wasteful infront of goal too.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:29 am

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:Borini out??? Shocked He hasn't even had enough game time to prove himself. Much too harsh. He's only 21 too. I think he'll come good with time.

A million times this. Borini will be massive for us.

With that said, I can't believe you didn't notice him secretly saying let's keep Downing. :X
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:43 am

Borini is too brittle by PL standards. Gets injured often. Doesn't have pace, acceleration and trickery. Decent positioning and a hard worker. Certainly won't be a massive player, squad player at max. I don't have any hopes on him, he hasn't been good even in patches unlike Allen who was really good at the start of the season.

As for Downing, I was really skeptical about him staying at the start of the season, but he has improved massively since December. Since we'll be focusing on different areas in summer, he might just make the cut and I have no qualms with him being a squad player. His track backing will help us in big games. Provides natural width.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:50 am

Fiorentina are ready to pay £8m. He has certainly fallen down the pecking order. That's a good amount of money.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:26 am

Borini isn't brittle. We can't say that right now. Yes, two injuries has cost him this season but don't forget Lucas (one of the most robust players in our squad) had a season-long injury too. Glen, Agger, Gerrard too had prolonged bouts of injuries. We need to be sure if he is our Aurelio or Kewel in disguise.

Borini isn't just squad quality. I haven't seen him (that is for other clubs) but I have this huge positive vibe for this kid. At his age Lucas wasn't that awsome. He needs time and deserves at least the average time Ngog, Babel, Poulsen, Downing, Cole or Jovanovic had.

I believe if he gets a 10-game run (start and sub) he will blossom.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:58 pm

It's pretty tough to say that a shoulder dislocation makes someone brittle. That would be like saying Stuart Holden is injury prone because he happens to get his lack shattered by Nigel De Jong. Wrong place, wrong time sort of situation for both of them.

If you saw the fall that triggered the dislocation, you'd know what I'm talking about. ANYONE who hit the ground like that would've been out for a few months, it just happened to the wrong player. Let's see what he does with a full healthy season. If he gets another long term injury next year than I'll agree with you, but a couple of flukes do not make a trend.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:50 pm

ExtremistEnigma wrote:Fiorentina are ready to pay £8m. He has certainly fallen down the pecking order. That's a good amount of money.

Unless they will give us Jovetic in exchange for Borini and cash, I don't want to entertain this thought whatsoever.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:55 pm

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:
ExtremistEnigma wrote:Fiorentina are ready to pay £8m. He has certainly fallen down the pecking order. That's a good amount of money.

Unless they will give us Jovetic in exchange for Borini and cash, I don't want to entertain this thought whatsoever.
There is no reason we should entertain anything besides a ridiculous offer for Borini. The kid has great potential, and can eventually perform a similar role to Sturridge. Right now, he's squad player quality when he's fit and has any sort of confidence. He needs to gain a little muscle/power, but he could be precisely the player we need to fill the CF role when Sturridge is out. The lad has simply been terribly unlucky with injuries this season and hasn't had a chance to settle into the team.

Barring a Jovetic deal, as 'Swag' mentioned, there's no reason for use to get rid of him. Even 8m is a farce. That's a 2 mil loss on a player we've barely seen... If he fails to make any sort of impact next season, I would consider it, but not now.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 am

Thoughts on Honda?
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:36 am

He can take a freekick, that much I know for sure. I rate him just as high as Kagawa even if others don't. ynwa, you and I rate the Russian just fine.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:40 am

Suarez can take a freekick too. Wink

I do rate the Japanese footballer, yes. Razz

I just fear we'll get him more for PR reasons than for on-field matters.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:47 am

ynwa wrote:Suarez can take a freekick too. Wink

I do rate the Japanese footballer, yes. Razz

I just fear we'll get him more for PR reasons than for on-field matters.

Laughing I meant the Russian league, obviously Honda isn't Russian Razz

I'd be glad if we got him for PR reasons. I feel SAF is the only one that's digging the gold from the far east. He's a pretty good footballer as well. Would be an improvement over Downing, wouldn't you say?
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:56 am

Yeah, I definitely feel the Russian League is underrated. A lot of talent in the league but too many people have opinions on it because of the fans. Which is a shame because the league itself has the potential to be very very good.

I have nothing against signing him for PR reasons. And he'll definitely be an improvement over Downing. But I do feel we should really go out and sign a player that is one of the more talented players in the world. Honda is a very solid player and a very nice passer. And has great technique. With that said, I just don't feel we should sign him as a consistent first-team player. I would also be down for him to be used as a squad member as he can also play as a CAM if needed.

EDIT: Not too mention the experience he'll bring to the final third.

I guess it'll come down to wages and if there are any other suitors for him. But I definitely wouldn't mind him.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:53 pm

The general manager of CSKA Moscow, Roman Babaev, declared to Sport-Express, the possibility that the midfielder Keisuke Honda can leave the club un the summer. "We said more then once that Honda wants to move to a great European club. We'll try to trade for the deal extension, but he is not forced to stay. All will depend on the will of the player".

so i guess that is a confirmed news that he will leave the club, the bigger question is where will he go. I have also read on a random blog that liverpool are having pre contract talks with him. No doubt it will be a brilliant signing for us.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Honda will be brilliant, he's a player who makes the midfield tick.

Anyways, see what I meant about Downing? He has massively rejuvenated under BR and might just stay for the next season.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:13 am

I didn't know which thread should go on. I guess this seems appropriate.

53 - Liverpool's total of 53 goals from 28 games is their second best at this stage of a PL season (after 56 in 1995-96). Menace.

More than 2008-09 Shocked

McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:24 am

Also, for the record, six more than our total for all of last season! At the very least, we're more enjoyable to watch than we used to be.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:40 am

True we are sooo much more enjoyable to watch compared to 2009-10, last season, and the beginning of 2010-11 under Woy.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 am

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:I didn't know which thread should go on. I guess this seems appropriate.

53 - Liverpool's total of 53 goals from 28 games is their second best at this stage of a PL season (after 56 in 1995-96). Menace.

More than 2008-09 Shocked

We went on to hammer teams at the end of the season no? I think we scored 20 odd goals in our last 6 games in that season. 4 past United, 5 past Villa, 4-4 against Arsenal etc.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:27 am

ExtremistEnigma wrote:Anyways, see what I meant about Downing? He has massively rejuvenated under BR and might just stay for the next season.

Massively rejuvenated lol. Put Wisdom in Downing's position and I'm certain Wisdom will be much more of a goal threat. He'll also do all that defensive work that Downing is rated for.

Fact is, he's still shit and should be sold. There is no way we should keep him on the bench week in week out as a rotational player next season on his wages anyway. Ridiculous.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Uhh, you're not getting my point. I'm not in my favour of him staying but given that we'll be focusing on different areas in summer, he might just stay. Infact I didn't want him to stay even in January but a few good games in December and BR was impressed.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:05 pm

We could just sell him while he still has some value. 20 million now i just remembered. He aint going costly, Almost 30 now.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:37 am

Sh!t I'm reading reports that Carroll doesn't want a West Ham move or West Ham don't want Carroll. This could pose some problems for us in the summer. He clearly has no place in our team, him coming back wouldn't help us in the slightest. What do you guys think??
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:03 am

ExtremistEnigma wrote:Uhh, you're not getting my point. I'm not in my favour of him staying but given that we'll be focusing on different areas in summer, he might just stay. Infact I didn't want him to stay even in January but a few good games in December and BR was impressed.

Except we HAVE to improve in that area of our starting XI. He's our weakest player in our team.

I don't think BR is impressed. The only reason he's being played there right now is because we have no depth and Suso etc are too young. I'm yet to see Sturridge, Suarez and Coutinho all ready and fit to play also or they'd most likely rotate with each other in our front three.

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:04 am

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:Sh!t I'm reading reports that Carroll doesn't want a West Ham move or West Ham don't want Carroll. This could pose some problems for us in the summer. He clearly has no place in our team, him coming back wouldn't help us in the slightest. What do you guys think??

Quite understandable that he doesn't want to stay there, West Ham's midfield is so bad that it can't be fun for a striker to be playing there. If they lose Diame in the summer they become instant relegation candidates in my eyes. But there will be Premier League takers for Carroll, absolutely, but they probably won't be willing to pay that £17m figure that's been mentioned in relation to the Hammers.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 42 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 25 ... 42  Next