mr-r34
36 posters

Page 8 of 42 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 25 ... 42  Next

Go down

Our Squad - Page 8 Empty Re: Our Squad

Post by Red Alert Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:57 am

Skrtel is better than Williams.

And Skrtel would not be sold.

Carragher is retiring, Coates will be sent out on loan and we'll try and bring someone like Lovren as Sepi said. Or someone like Sakho. (Although he's probably unrealistic.)

I don't understand the logic in selling Henderson. To begin with, he was never as bad as everyone was saying last season. He's improved this season. He's made Joe Allen into a squad player, got rid of a world class talent in Sahin, is finally getting recognition for his work ethic and performances.
He's also one of the few at the club that GENUINELY cares about the club atm (that's just basing it on emotion during games, I obviously don't see the players in training etc) but many players in football today only care about themselves and Jordan definitely plays for the shirt.

Enrique I can't see us selling personally.

I can see Downing and Carroll definitely gone in the summer. You can probably add Pacheco. And Reina's definitely not safe imo.

Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:03 am

Lovren would be a dream come true. From what I've seen of him the guy looks immense.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:52 am

We need:

1. A GK who will replace Reina in 1-2 years time. No matter how much leadership Reina provides in locker-room and on the field, he has peaked and will only be down-hill from now on. Jones is purely back-up material. Urgency level 7/10

2. A back-up for Enrique. If a CB is prefered on the flanks, that says a lot about Robinson. With Carragrer retiring, we need Wisdom to prove he is capable for future role. 8/10

3. The third CB. I think Coats will be sold (or atleast sent on loan). 8/10

4. Back-up for Lucas. Allen or Henderson are not made for that role and I don't think we have any competent player in youth/reserve to cover for few games. 8/10

5. A competent winger or WF who will strech the opposition back-line. Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge all tend to drift or stay in the middle. 9/10
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:08 am

Also, we need to:

1. Sell or at least loan-out Robinson.
2. Sell or at least loan-out Coats.
3. Sell Downing
4. Loan-out (but to PL team) Shelvey.
5. Loan-out Suso (but to PL team).
6. Sell Pacheco.
7. Expected to see more of Assaidi and Yasil, on the fence about them.
8. Expect few more from youth and reserve to be sold or relesed.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:22 am

Carroll and Downing are most likely gone. We'll get atleast 25m+ from those two imo. Carroll will leave for around 19m to West Ham if he agrees to join them permantently, and we'll probably get anywhere from 7-12m for Downing. If we sell Reina for atleast 10m, we'll have a budget of ATLEAST 35m. We may even get 15m or so from TV deals and sponserships, so this transfer window will be MASSIVE for us. We need to sign the right players.

Pacheco is most likely gone, but I can't see us getting anything for him personally. Assaidi may or may not go.

Coates SHOULD stay at the club. Carragher will be retiring and that only leaves Agger and Skrtel.

We need a new keeper, defensive cover (for CB and LB), someone who can play on the right hand side in the final third and cover for Lucas and we'll title challenge imo.

I'd personally sign Cacares for defensive cover. He can play both CB, LB and is still young. He can only get better, fits FSG project and is Uruguayan. Razz

Somebody like Ben Arfa or someone like him for the right hand side is KEY as the right hand side in the final third is our weakest area. We have Coutinho, Sterling, Assaidi, Borini and Suarez who can all play on the left hand side. We can even play Henderson there if we're desperate. We'll most likely sign Ince, but he is far too young to be our main right winger. He'll replace Downing imo, and be the back-up for the main RF.

Maher (and force Henderson to be the back-up to Lucas) would be a dream come true for me. He's been the arguably the best midfielder in the Eredivisie this season, and he's most likely set to replace Eriksen at Ajax. This is probably the least of our worries though.

I'll need suggestions for keepers. I'm really not fond of Reina anymore.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:44 am

"and we'll title challenge imo."

No offense but this is delusional.We would need a complete squad overhaul to challenge for the league,if we just challenge for 4th next season I am happy.
worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:57 am

Yeah I don't think we'll challenge for the title even with a squad overhaul or without it. We're a club in transition and these things don't happen like that. Plus I think City are going on a crazy signing spree this summer and will strengthen much more than anyone else. Top 4 challenge would be my expectation.

@ynwa: for the keeper suggestion, my personal favorite is Bernd Leno from Bayer. The kid is 20 and has been an absolute beast 2 seasons now. Hyypia might not want to part ways with him but if we come calling he may even let us off on the cheap. Wishful thinking, I know :whistle:
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:03 am

iftikhar wrote:Also, we need to:

1. Sell or at least loan-out Robinson.
2. Sell or at least loan-out Coats.
3. Sell Downing
4. Loan-out (but to PL team) Shelvey.
5. Loan-out Suso (but to PL team).
6. Sell Pacheco.
7. Expected to see more of Assaidi and Yasil, on the fence about them.
8. Expect few more from youth and reserve to be sold or relesed.

I don't want us to sell any of the youngsters just yet. They've all shown potential.

I would like us to loan out Flanagan, Robinson, and Shelvey. Suso I think will still be needed unless we do sign another mid or a forward player (like Eriksen) then a loan to PL team should be on the cards. Coates loan (with an option to call back at any time) should also be on the cards, because we all know we will be signing a new CB and his game time again will be limited.

We'll definitely bank some cash on Carroll, Downing, and Pacheco. Possibly Reina.

The most important thing would be to spend it wisely. I'll list my personal preferences some other time.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:28 pm

We've had the most shots in EUROPE this season.
We're going to be A LOT better under Rodgers' philosophy next season.
Individual mistakes will definitely still play a part, but there will not be as much as this current season.

A signing for a new keeper that is not mistake-prone aslong as getting someone that's competent in hitting the target so very often will help us heaps. Title challenge is maybe an overstatement, but we're going to be A LOT better next season.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:34 pm

RedOranje wrote:That's inaccurate. In an ideal world (and in the real world initially) Allen plays in the position currently occupied by Gerrard. He's not appeared there much this season due to injuries (filling in for Lucas) and form (his poor, Gerrard's resurgent). He has played in a more advanced role because that's the only midfield position open... Gerrard and Lucas have the other two (rightly) secured. It is neither his best/ideal position nor is it an indication of long-term plans, it is merely an adaptation made to deal with real-world influences.

Allen won't play in Gerrard's position unless he's needed too. He'll also be the back-up to Lucas unless we sign somebody else to do that ask. If Allen's to make it here, he's going to have to play that role Gylfi had at Swansea. He actually played that role in the first 6 months of the season with Swansea in the last campaign. That's when I personally first saw his talent. He's going to be a great player for us, and that is why I don't think Eriksen will be needed.

I still like Shelvey as well, but what we're looking for this summer are players that can provide more immediate impact. Shelvey will/should head out on loan next season to get some proper, consistent game time. IF we're in the market for a CAM (as I said previously, I'm not convinced we will be after Coutinho's arrival) then Maher does not make real sense given the criteria. Eriksen does. The fact that he is entering the final year of his contract and has heavily hinted that he will not be signing a new deal will counterbalance the inflated price tag, to some extent. Still, there's no indication we could even interest him if he does move, so it is all hypothetical at best.

We really do need players to make an immediate impact. I wouldn't mind Jonjo going out on loan but he should NOT be sold. I'm not saying let's go out and splash the cash on a David Villa type (out of favour at his club, and only has 1 or 2 seasons in him), but preferably somebody at a mature age - anywhere from 23-26 imo. We have far too many young players at the club that are talented, but that lack experience. Our midfield imo, is fine though. The only way we'd sign Eriksen is because of his reputation at being one of the best in his age group and for future value - he's definitely not urgently needed as of now.

I do feel we should be buying somebody like Diame on the cheap to help give us that physical steel in midfield against the likes of Stoke and West Ham and City (when Yaya plays). Somebody that would have the same effect as Sissoko did to help cover Lucas.

We don't need a "number 9" though because Sturridge IS our "number 9"; in position if not in style and actual kit number. Perhaps you want a large, strong forward that can be a plan B but that's not really what you seem to be saying, especially when you put it alongside the suggestion of Jovetic (who, by the way, fills an entirely different role to HBA). If you had said an HBA-type player I'd have agreed, but he's neither of comparable stature nor the position to Jovetic. An attacking player that could fill a wide role, as well as cover across the attack, and who would cost £10-£20m, is exactly what I suggested the club would look for. That is a far cry from a £30+m player who will be expecting to play almost exclusively in a similar role to Suarez.

No, I do not want a large, strong forward for a Plan B or I'd keep Carroll at the club. I'm not entirely sure Sturridge has the ability to play as a CF consistently to maintain his current goal scoring run. I wasn’t a fan when he first signed if you remember, and I’m still not going to change my opinions on him on a couple of months he’s had in a red shirt – although he’s been very good and proving me wrong at the moment which is a good thing for the club. But I do feel we still lack cover in the striking department.

Jovetic can play anywhere in the final third. That is a lot like Ben Arfa. I wasn’t comparing their playing style but their qualities of a player. Both players are creative, they’re skilful, a goal threat and both have a footballing brain. They also do whatever they possibly can to get their respected team to win which is MASSIVE. Jovetic is obviously the better player, but Ben Arfa would be immense for us. I don’t feel we’ll go for him though, so I’m hoping we can get a player that has similar traits. Jovetic would go for 20-25m. And the prospect of him interchanging with Suarez and the movement of Sturridge will definitely put us as one of the most feared teams in the league. That’s a title-challenging front trio by the way.
Don’t forget, we’ll have a budget of around 50-60m this summer with the new TV deal and selling the services of Downing and Carroll. Splashing half that cash on a player like Jovetic would in no way be a problem for the club as he’s quality will get us back in the CL. I don’t feel the value would put us off though, it would be more of the fact of him wanting to join us or not. He really does love playing for Fiorentina.

And yet the defense looked far more composed when Carra returned to the side and was issuing orders again... while appearing utterly lost at times when Carra and Reina were both gone. Rodgers has cited the issue as needing to be addressed when Carra retire, many pundits, analysts, and reporters have noted it, and even I myself, half-blind and thick as a Chris Kristy's thighs, have noted the difference when said players are present and when they're missing. It is definitely an issue.
Has it though? Agger’s form in the last month or so has looked a different player partnered up with Carra. He looks A LOT more solid whilst playing with Skrtel. Jamie and Daniel also argue a lot during games. Skrtel and Agger have a mental understanding. Skrtel is highly criticized because he’s had to play with an inexperienced back-line against Oldham. Games like that I’d argue we’d need Carragher – but not when the likes of Johnson, Agger and Enrique play. We’ve also looked a lot more composed because Lucas Leiva has returned and found some form again. I’m certain when he gets to 500 games Skrtel will slot straight back into the defence.
Agger has shown glimpses of being able to organize the defense but it has been inconsistent. Skrtel, despite being the hard man that he is, does not offer a calming or commanding presence. The fullbacks both spend too much time forward to have the view necessary for organizing a defense. Carra will be retiring. Rodgers has stated that leadership will be a key skill he'll be looking for in any replacement but said player will still require time to bed in and familiarize himself with the new tactics and teammates. In the meantime we will need a leader to fill the void. Reina (and Agger) will be expected to do so.
Agger can command the back as can Leiva. We don’t need Reina barking out orders as most of the players know what to do. They have enough experience and quality back there. You’d only need leadership when the Robinson’s, and Wisdom’s, and Coates all play in the same game.
Take the long view here. Reina may be past his peak (I'm not so sure) and the club may be interested in a long-term replacement... but one more season is unlikely to see him completely fall apart (and his current struggles have been somewhat exaggerated, IMO) and the rebuilding process not a short-term project. Keep him for a year to oversee defensive transition (and maybe more, to help bed and train a new young replacement). It's the most prudent plan, both tactically and economically.
Reina is not the same player he was. He’s been the most inconsistent player in our squad over the last 3 seasons. He’s past his best. He used to be one of the best reflexes / aerobatic keepers in the world and now struggles to save shots at his near post. Or shots that are straight to him but have power on the shot. I havn’t seen him make an aerobatic save in quite a while. We should exploit the issue of Barcelona this summer and cash in.

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:07 pm

ynwa wrote:Allen won't play in Gerrard's position unless he's needed too. He'll also be the back-up to Lucas unless we sign somebody else to do that ask. If Allen's to make it here, he's going to have to play that role Gylfi had at Swansea. He actually played that role in the first 6 months of the season with Swansea in the last campaign. That's when I personally first saw his talent. He's going to be a great player for us, and that is why I don't think Eriksen will be needed.
He scores a goal and all of a sudden he's the next Kaka. :facepalm:

In all seriousness, Allen had around 10 starts at AM before RODGERS brought in Sigurdsson to fill a need. After that, Allen played the distributing CM role that Gerrard is currently occupying in our squad. He's simply not enough of a goal threat / forward-thinking player to occupy the AM position. Rodgers actually brought in 3 players to occupy that AM position: Routledge, McEachran and Sigurdsson. Allen was always a CM pushed up the pitch.

If we're looking at playing with an AM, we need to seriously consider upgrading in the transfer market. We realistically have Shelvey, Hendo, Coutinho, and Allen (I'm assuming Gerrard as a deeper-lying midfielder). Coutinho seems to be preferred as a wide player at the moment, and it's still yet to be seen whether he will make good on his potential. Eriksen is comfortably better than any of the aforementioned players in the true CAM position, and is versatile enough to play CM, CAM and even CF (false9) in a pinch. If we're going to buy for that position, he should be the target.

The big question for me is if we will buy in that position. This is not due to Coutinho (as I've said, I see him wide left) as much as Suarez. We've recently opted for a 2-striker system in the league (where Daniel Sturridge is available). This only leaves two true midfield positions, and those are currently occupied by Gerrard and Lucas. So where does a new AM fit in that setup?
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 pm

I already posted Allen will be playing as a CAM at times before the Zenit game so :facepalm: straight back at ya.

We don't need a CAM in the summer transfer window. It's as simple as that. We've been playing a 4231 as of late with Sturridge as the ST and Suarez as the CAM anyway.

Oh, and McEachran isn't a CAM.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:08 pm

ynwa wrote:I already posted Allen will be playing as a CAM at times before the Zenit game so :facepalm: straight back at ya.

We don't need a CAM in the summer transfer window. It's as simple as that. We've been playing a 4231 as of late with Sturridge as the ST and Suarez as the CAM anyway.

Oh, and McEachran isn't a CAM.
So, you thought Allen was the next Kaka before he scored his second goal for the club? Now that's counting your chickens before they're hatched, so to speak. In this case, the chickens are goals, and Allen would be the one not scoring them. He's easily behind Henderson and Shelvey at CAM. While I do believe he's a good player simply going through a rough patch, I do not believe he is at all effective in the CA position.

I'm glad you ignored the entire section in which I doubted if we would buy in the CAM position due precisely to the point you summarized.

Oh, and McEacheran isn't much of anything at the moment. He'll take a game where he can get one. However, I was going off the quotes from the AVB era at Chelsea when he claimed to idolize Zidane and attempted to base his game on the French legend. Whatever Zidane may be, a deep-lying midfield, he is not. So, McEachran is having about as much success copying Zidane's game as he is breaking into the Chelsea bench.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:16 am

I have no idea where you're pulling this Allen and Kaka comparison from but you really need to stop putting words in my mouth. I never mentioned Kaka ANYWHERE in my posts regarding this whole conversation. Also, Allen HAS played at CAM before. He'll make a good back-up there when needed. He already has the likes of Suarez, Hendo and Coutinho infront of him in that position. He's not behind or infront of Shelvey in the pecking order. Eriksen will NOT be needed.

Secondly, I didn't ignore anybody. I was debating with RedOranje in a whole different area of this forum and responded to his post here as we were derailing a thread in the General Section.

Lastly, McEachran is a central midfielder. He's a lot like Henderson in the fact that he's vertasile and plays wherever needed for the team but at the end of the day, he naturally plays in the middle of the pitch and will play there in the future.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:57 pm

ynwa wrote:I have no idea where you're pulling this Allen and Kaka comparison from but you really need to stop putting words in my mouth. I never mentioned Kaka ANYWHERE in my posts regarding this whole conversation. Also, Allen HAS played at CAM before. He'll make a good back-up there when needed. He already has the likes of Suarez, Hendo and Coutinho infront of him in that position. He's not behind or infront of Shelvey in the pecking order. Eriksen will NOT be needed.

Woah, calm down. Believe it or not, I actually wasn't trying to wind you up. I mentioned Kaka.( I alone, and not you.) I did however insinuate that Allen is being overrated at CM, comparing him to Kaka. Since you asked, the thought process was this: you quite obviously were advocating Allen at the position of CAM -> Kaka was one of the most widely touted CAMs of recent memory -> The British media likes to label people "the next..." -> Ergo, I described Allen as the next Kaka in jest. You have evidently not taken it as such.

Now, as far as Eriksen goes, I will once again stress that all of my points relate to a situation in which we are still in the market for a CAM. The closer we get to summer, the more I believe that we will focus almost solely on defense. You’re right in that Suarez should rightly be preferred in what is far more of a free second-striker than a CAM. However, my point regarding Eriksen is that he is head-and-shoulders above our current CAM options. I think Coutinho has been brought in to play a creative wide role, ala Sterling’s instructions from earlier in the season. That leaves Hendo, Shelvey and Allen if you insist on including him. Can you honestly tell me that Eriksen would not be a large step up in quality?

Secondly, I didn't ignore anybody. I was debating with RedOranje in a whole different area of this forum and responded to his post here as we were derailing a thread in the General Section.

I understand that, and I even stumbled upon the general section thread. However, that’s not completely true as you keep putting words in my mouth. You respond as though I’m saying we should definitely buy Eriksen, when in fact I’m saying is an “if-then” statement. IF we are going to play in a certain way, THEN we should pursue this player. And you accused me of putting words in your mouth… Well, hello Mr. Pot, evidently my name is Kettle. I won’t finish this statement for fear of the FA misinterpreting it and giving me an 8-game ban.

Lastly, McEachran is a central midfielder. He's a lot like Henderson in the fact that he's versatile and plays wherever needed for the team but at the end of the day, he naturally plays in the middle of the pitch and will play there in the future.

Yes he is… and I’ve almost forgotten why this is significant. The point was always that Rodgers has already dipped into the transfer market at a much smaller club in order to replace Allen at CAM (with Sigurdsson), so that Allen can move back to his preferred position.
In summary, I’m sorry you took it the wrong way, but the Kaka statement was a joke. It was never meant as anything more. As for Allen, I know he’s played the position before. What I contest is his ability to do so at a level that we would consider effective and acceptable. In addition, I contest that should we play with a CAM, we would want to acquire one that can play the position at a higher standard than the recognized CAMs at the club.

It was all banter and discussion. If you took it as hostility, I am truly sorry.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:15 am

I think Eriksen would be an absolute steal for Liverpool if you want me to be honest.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:30 am

CBarca wrote:I think Eriksen would be an absolute steal for Liverpool if you want me to be honest.

Yes, but he will also cost a fortune (€20-25 million) and will he be a radical improvement over Coutinho!

I don't like putting Coutinho on the wings. As I have mentioned before Sturridge, Suarez, Coutinho (regardless of their mobility in the wide areas) along with the AM (whoever that may be) will tend to crowd the middle area leaving the flanks to the L/RWB.

Instead, why not play Coutinho as CAM and leave the wings to players (winger/WF) who tend to play wide!!!

For a very long time we have been using players (Kuyt, Suarez, Henderson, Suso) who aren't typically wide players.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:36 am

Eriksen and Kaka are nothing alike though. They're two different types of CAMs.

The only way I'd be delighted we signed Eriksen if we got our priorities straight in the summer. Eriksen is a massive talent - one of the best of his age groups. He will only get better and has a wonderful understanding of the game and the right mentality to succede. But he is not someone we should making a number one transfer target. There is no reason why we should go out and splash the cash on Eriksen when we still need to buy 3-4 players in different positions to really push on the quality in the side.

Reina's spot is surely not guaranteed. We're either going replace him (especially if Barca come in for him; they're known to target players from their academy's) or get someone to actually fight for his place.

Carragher is retiring - we're definitely going to need a back-up defender in the summer. I'm really hoping it's not Williams as I don't rate him as much as most people do but signing a CB is huge.

Downing still manages to get time on the pitch because we have no one that can play in that right hand side in the final third. Getting someone in that can actually play there with QUALITY is actually where we should invest serious money for in the summer. I really do hope we splash the cash on someone here as I truly believe we'll get back into the CL if we do.

We also need a Diame/Sissoko type of midfielder.

Eriksen may be better than Shelvey, Hendo and Allen but he's still not needed. I also feel Henderson is hugely underrated and will become massive for the team in a couple of years. You can see the drop-in performance the whole team has when he comes off in games. We go from playing a smooth passing game to a more 'lump it forward' approach.

Allen won't play in his preferred position at the moment. We already have Gerrard and Lucas who are undroppable in our side. Lucas is one of the best DMs in the world and Gerrard is well, Liverpool. We didn't invest 15m on Allen for him to sit on the bench. If he wants to succede here he needs to pull his socks up and start adapting to the team - much like Henderson has done.

There is no doubt Eriksen will be looked at and have tabs kept him, but my whole point was we shouldn't make him a serious target. He should be looked at after we get a couple of other players before any serious bid goes in.

I don't take anything as hostility on the internet, don't sweat it. I'm also liking the discussion too, this section has been dead lately.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:39 am

iftikhar wrote:
CBarca wrote:I think Eriksen would be an absolute steal for Liverpool if you want me to be honest.

Yes, but he will also cost a fortune (€20-25 million) and will he be a radical improvement over Coutinho!

I don't like putting Coutinho on the wings. As I have mentioned before Sturridge, Suarez, Coutinho (regardless of their mobility in the wide areas) along with the AM (whoever that may be) will tend to crowd the middle area leaving the flanks to the L/RWB.

Instead, why not play Coutinho as CAM and leave the wings to players (winger/WF) who tend to play wide!!!

For a very long time we have been using players (Kuyt, Suarez, Henderson, Suso) who aren't typically wide players.

Coutinho is much more effective on the wing than in the middle. He can play in the middle, but he is a lot better when he has that extra space to move into on the wing. He's played on the wing (drifting into the middle) for majority of his time in Europe.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Doesn't Eriksen have one year left on his contract in the summer and he announced he won't renew? (honest question, I really have no idea).

Not saying he'll come cheap, but I think 20-25 million would be stretching it.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:08 am

CBarca wrote:Doesn't Eriksen have one year left on his contract in the summer and he announced he won't renew? (honest question, I really have no idea).

Not saying he'll come cheap, but I think 20-25 million would be stretching it.

OK I didn't know that.

But we tend to over-pay. This has been the trend for last 2-3 years. Also, considering we will not be the only one after him, some immidiate cash benefit (for club and player) might be the only lure to land him.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:10 am

Kaka? No, Eriksen isn’t Kaka, either. I actually think Eriksen is slightly more versatile, but not the virtuoso that Kaka was at his prime. In fact, forget that reference altogether. It was never made to suggest a substantial comparison.

I would agree that with our current setup I don’t think we use/are in particular need of a pure CAM. Without departures, I would say that a CB (or two), LB, DM and ST should be our priorities. Our defense is at best prone to errors and at worst somewhat soft. We lack real cover at the LB position. Johnson is a good fullback, but I’d rather not have to move our best full back around and play teenagers in the other position. Allen had a decent spell as a DM early in the season, but he’s no Lucas. We could really use a physical player alla Sissoko (I wouldn’t be so pleased with Diame, though) to sit in front of the defense when Lucas isn’t available or when we want to lock down a game. Ideally, this would be a player that can pass as well. Capoue would be great, but is likely a class above what we are willing to spend in this area. We could also use another striker capable of playing in Sturridge’s role. I still have hope that this can be Borini. Even so, we could stand another striker. One more decent shout is Ngoo. He’s been playing well for Hearts and might just be ready for a few appearances next season.

I’m not so sure that we’re going to be buying for a specific, formational role, such as the CAM in a 4-2-3-1 or a right wide-forward in a 4-3-3. We’ve seen Rodgers adapt tactics to get the most out of the squad this season and not necessarily use players where they’ve been pigeon-holed (see Downing, Henderson, Shelvey, and Enrique). Because of this, I think we will see signings both to address specific needs such as CB and LB, and to improve the quality of the squad/plan for the future. It seems that we’re scouting De Vrij fairly heavily. He’s likely to be targeted to fill the need at CB. Eriksen, however, is likely to be a general upgrade to the squad, capable of being a star player in the side for years to come.

A lot of supporters forget that Suarez was a similar signing. At the time we were scouting Suarez, Torres was still very much an integral part of the squad. It’s only down to Torres’s emotional instability that they never were able to line up together. I think Eriksen may be viewed as a long-term successor to Gerrard as the preeminent midfielder in the squad. I’m not saying they’re currently a similar player, and they could even be used in the same squad with their current roles. I’m saying that in the next few seasons we will need to replace Gerrard’s quality in the middle of the pitch. While we may not be in dire need of Eriksen now, the opportunity to pick up a high-level talent that can contribute for years to come is not one that we should pass up.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:06 am

RedOranje wrote:We have depth in all areas of the pitch the likes of which we haven't seen in decades and our squad is relatively young (but with experienced heads) and what by all accounts appears to be a very good chemistry. Best transfer window in ages for me.

We managed to move on just about every piece of deadwood we have bar Jones and one or two reserve players and we've brought in some real talent and very exciting young players. The Meireles deal does seem to leave us just a tad thin in central midfield but then he rarely if ever played there for us anyway and at his age we got a good price for him.

Assuming Bellamy's knees hold up and he stays away from karaoke and golf clubs I think we've pulled off an absolute stormer. Mr's Henry, Comolli, Kenny and all the rest of the staff deserve huge praise for their works this summer.

Well, this is funny. eco smile
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:17 am

Tbf to RedO, we were all optimistic before last season.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:34 am

I'd personally don't want Eriksen. Will cost huge money and again and is a kid; need experience in the squad or we're going down the Arsenal way. I also hope that we get players on the cheap rather than spend exorbitant amounts.

My wishlist for the summer would be:

OUT: Reina, Coates (loan?), Borini, Wilson, Carroll, Pacheco, Spearing

IN: Ben Arfa, de Vrij, GK, CM, LB (?)
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:54 am

Borini out??? Shocked He hasn't even had enough game time to prove himself. Much too harsh. He's only 21 too. I think he'll come good with time.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 42 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 25 ... 42  Next