Lord Awesome
EarlyPrototype
Swanhends
117 posters

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25

Go down

Stats thread - Page 25 Empty Re: Stats thread

Post by free_cat Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:31 am

What?? in 13-14 Messi wasn't selected as one of the top 3 attacking midfielders or strikers in the League. Laughing Laughing Laughing What a joke.
Only surpassed by the joke of him not being selected as best player of a month ever by LFP.
Thanks for the info.

free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:34 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:
Curtinho wrote: Most of these players, at least in the same leagues, play against the same teams and face the same defences, players, etc. .

That's the thing though. They don't. Different games are not the same, because they're well, DIFFERENT.
A 9 men Rayo is different than a 11 man Rayo.
To give more context to the Bale example.

Bale scored a large number of his goals against a 9 man Rayo.
Of course, this important difference is NOT entering the calculation of goal+assists per minutes.

Sorry for the broadside earlier, I am too grumpy.

But the way stats become more and more central for valuing football stuff is really, REALLY, getting on my nerve.

There's SO much that can go wrong when converting stats, i.e. numbers, quantitative information, into arguments and qualitative statements.
People use the stuff so careless. It's really *bleep* annoying me.

Yeah but I wasn't use it to qualify any kind of staetment about Bale >>>> Messi or anything like that. In fact even though I really like Bale I was saying all last year (and maintain) that the three best players in the world are Messi, Neymar and Suarez. I was just posting those for fun because it so happens that, right now, Bale (I think, didn't check other leagues) is the most productive player per minute in the world. Again, that's excluding context, performance, etc.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:10 am

Easiest League to dribble (dribbles per game on average 09-15)

24,1 Bundesliga
16,1 Serie A
15,0 Premier League
14,8 La Liga
13,7 Ligue 1
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Harmonica wrote:Premier League

14-15 PFA Hazard, Whoscored Hazard 7,96
13-14 PFA Suarez, Whoscored Suarez 8,43
12-13 PFA Bale, Whoscored Bale 7,92
11-12 PFA Van Persie, Whoscored Van Persie 7,80
10-11 PFA Bale, Whoscored Nani 7,71 (Bale #18 7,38), Nani won league, Bale 4th
09-10 PFA Rooney, Whoscored Drogba 8,32 (Rooney #4 7.91), Drogba won league, Rooney 2nd

La Liga

14-15 LFP Messi, Whoscored Messi 8,84
13-14 LFP Cronaldo, Whoscored Messi 8,34 (Cronaldo #2 8,27), Messi excluded from vote by Perez
12-13 LFP Messi, Whoscored Messi 8,83
11-12 LFP Messi, Whoscored Messi 8,88
10-11 LFP Messi, Whoscored Messi 8,76
09-10 LFP Messi, Whoscored Messi 8,67

Serie A

14-15 AIC Tevez, Whoscored Vazquez 7,74 (Tevez #3 7,66)
13-14 AIC Pirlo, Whoscored Cuadrado 7,71 (Pirlo #6 7,56)
12-13 AIC Pirlo, Whoscored Pirlo 7,82
11-12 AIC Pirlo, Whoscored Zlatan 8,14 (Pirlo #2 7,88)
10-11 AIC Zlatan, Whoscored Lucio 7,77 (Zlatan #4 7,60)
09-10 AIC Milito, Whoscored Lucio 7,76 (Milito #16 7,47), both won the league

Based on statistical analyse and league finish (if rating is close), only 3 seasons appears to be controversial.

PFA 09-10, 10-11
LFP 13-14 (only controversial because Messi was excluded from vote, Messi would have probably won it otherwise)
AIC 09-10

If we take the Cronaldo's stolen award away, statistical analyze and league finish agreed with voters 15 of 18 times or 83% of the time.

Great work putting that together Thumbs up

But for Serie A whoscored looks like it does a poor job. 09-10 isnt the only controversial one. 10-11, 13-14 and 14-15 as well. Thats 4/6 well off the mark.

If its controversial to give it to Lucio in 09-10 over Milito, then its far more controversial to give it to Lucio in 10-11 over Zlatan.

Tevez in 14-15 was a runaway winner, no chance Vazquez was the best player.

Cuadrado in 13-14 has more of an argument than Vazquez but its still reaaaaaaaally wide off the mark. This was the season Roma got a 10 match winning streak and got enough points to normally win the league, except Juve destroyed the competition with 102 points. No chance for Cuadrado to even be in the running.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:48 pm

rincon wrote:
Harmonica wrote:Premier League

09-10 PFA Rooney, Whoscored Drogba 8,32 (Rooney #4 7.91), Drogba won league, Rooney 2nd

La Liga

13-14 LFP Cronaldo, Whoscored Messi 8,34 (Cronaldo #2 8,27), Messi excluded from vote by Perez

Serie A

Based on statistical analyse and league finish (if rating is close), only 3 seasons appears to be controversial.

PFA 09-10, 10-11
LFP 13-14 (only controversial because Messi was excluded from vote, Messi would have probably won it otherwise)
AIC 09-10

If we take the Cronaldo's stolen award away, statistical analyze and league finish agreed with voters 15 of 18 times or 83% of the time.

Great work putting that together Thumbs up

But for Serie A whoscored looks like it does a poor job. 09-10 isnt the only controversial one. 10-11, 13-14 and 14-15 as well. Thats 4/6 well off the mark.

If its controversial to give it to Lucio in 09-10 over Milito, then its far more controversial to give it to Lucio in 10-11 over Zlatan.

Tevez in 14-15 was a runaway winner, no chance Vazquez was the best player.

Cuadrado in 13-14 has more of an argument than Vazquez but its still reaaaaaaaally wide off the mark. This was the season Roma got a 10 match winning streak and got enough points to normally win the league, except Juve destroyed the competition with 102 points. No chance for Cuadrado to even be in the running.
But it's also based on league finish.

"Based on statistical analyse and league finish (if rating is close), only 3 seasons appears to be controversial."

Zlatan won the league 10-11, and Pirlo 11-14 and Tevez 14-15, so taking that into consideration they are not so controversial. But Milito and Lucio played in the same team, and statistically Lucio played better, so it was controversial.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:55 pm

I'm not sure that I'm catching your meaning. Are you saying that the league awards are controversial? or that the whoscored ratings are controversial?

What I meant was that whoscored isn't doing the best job at rating players in serie A (can't speak with the same certainty about other leagues) since there is no chance that Vazquez should have a close score (let alone better) than Tevez in 14-15. The level of performance was just too different. Same for Cuadrado in 13-14. Or Lucio vs Zlatan in 10-11.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:59 pm

rincon wrote:I'm not sure that I'm catching your meaning. Are you saying that the league awards are controversial? or that the whoscored ratings are controversial?

What I meant was that whoscored isn't doing the best job at rating players in serie A (can't speak with the same certainty about other leagues) since there is no chance that Vazquez should have a close score (let alone better) than Tevez in 14-15. The level of performance was just too different. Same for Cuadrado in 13-14. Or Lucio vs Zlatan in 10-11.
No, certain individual awards are controversial, based on league finish and statistics. If they're statistically close, league finish can explain it, but it doesn't explain example Milito and Lucio 10-11.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:09 pm

Harmonica wrote:
rincon wrote:I'm not sure that I'm catching your meaning. Are you saying that the league awards are controversial? or that the whoscored ratings are controversial?

No, certain individual awards are controversial, based on league finish and statistics. If they're statistically close, league finish can explain it, but it doesn't explain example Milito and Lucio 10-11.

I see, I get you now.

But whoscored's system for rating players is not doing great when their stats are giving it to players whose performances (and league finish) are so inferior.

Individual wards always have problems, but in this case they are much closer to reality than whoscored's algorithm. Out of the more disputable choices in the Serie A list, Lucio vs Milito is the closest one, but Vazquez vs Tevez, Cuadrado vs Pirlo and Lucio vs Zlatan are all a no-go. Zlatan and Tevez did absolutelly everything for their teams in terms of attack and won the league while at it. Zlatan at Milan that year was too dominant for Lucio to come close, same with Tevez at Juve 14-15. The 13-14 season was Juve's and Roma's best in Serie A for the last 5 years, Cuadrado was nowhere near the best player that season.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:16 pm

rincon wrote:
Harmonica wrote:

I see, I get you now.

But whoscored's system for rating players is not doing great when their stats are giving it to players whose performances (and league finish) are so inferior.

Individual wards always have problems, but in this case they are much closer to reality than whoscored's algorithm. Out of the more disputable choices in the Serie A list, Lucio vs Milito is the closest one, but Vazquez vs Tevez, Cuadrado vs Pirlo and Lucio vs Zlatan are all a no-go. Zlatan and Tevez did absolutelly everything for their teams in terms of attack and won the league while at it. Zlatan at Milan that year was too dominant for Lucio to come close, same with Tevez at Juve 14-15. The 13-14 season was Juve's and Roma's best in Serie A for the last 5 years, Cuadrado was nowhere near the best player that season.
Whoscored is good on rating players, because you can check where it comes from. For example

Vasquez - Tevez, Stat 14-15

10 - 20 goals
10 - 7 assists
67 - 61 chances created
126 - 61 dribbles
7 - 3 throughballs
67 - 26 tackles
26 - 10 interceptions
8 - 7 MoM (relative to the game)

Statistically Vasquez showed more quality.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:31 pm

Harmonica wrote:
rincon wrote:
Harmonica wrote:

I see, I get you now.

Whoscored is good on rating players, because you can check where it comes from. For example

10 - 20 goals
10 - 7 assists
67 - 61 chances created
126 - 61 dribbles
7 - 3 throughballs

Being able to check where it comes from doesn't mean that they are good on rating players, it means that they are transparent.

That list doesn't tell you anything about how "Statistically Vazquez showed more quality". Which stats you pick, and how you weight completely changes the meaning of that list.

Just going by that list:

Comparing number of MoM is completely useless. Vazquez and Tevez play with different players. MoM is only good for comparing players in a single game, or on the same team.

They both played a very similar role that season, the second most advanced player in their teams. Tevez more as a second striker, Vazquez more as trequartista. They made the same number of chances (67 vs 61 doesn't matter) by whatever definition they choose.

That throughball stat is 100% meaningless, why is it better to make more throughballs? why not include long shots or steps taken?

Vazquez dribbles more, how does that possibly make him better? Even if we just accept that he is a better dribbler (which that stat doesn't reflect). Tevez outruns and outmuscles opposition players, for them what matters is getting past defenders, not "dribbling" more.

Tevez has twice as many goals, Vazquez has 3 more assists. Tevez did it in significantly less game time, 700 minutes (~8 full time games).

20 goals and 7 assists is better in my book than 10 goals and 10 assist specially factoring in the minutes played. Most importantly, this ignores every other aspect of the game. Who presses more? who is more tactially aware? who defends more? who runs more?

Anyone that watched Serie A closely last season will tell you that the answer to all those questions is Tevez.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:37 pm

rincon wrote:
Harmonica wrote:
rincon wrote:

I see, I get you now.

10 - 20 goals
10 - 7 assists
67 - 61 chances created
126 - 61 dribbles
7 - 3 throughballs

Being able to check where it comes from doesn't mean that they are good on rating players, it means that they are transparent.

That list doesn't tell you anything about how "Statistically Vazquez showed more quality". Which stats you pick, and how you weight completely changes the meaning of that list.

Just going by that list:

Comparing number of MoM is completely useless. Vazquez and Tevez play with different players. MoM is only good for comparing players in a single game, or on the same team.

They both played a very similar role that season, the second most advanced player in their teams. Tevez more as a second striker, Vazquez more as trequartista. They made the same number of chances (67 vs 61 doesn't matter) by whatever definition they choose.

That throughball stat is 100% meaningless, why is it better to make more throughballs? why not include long shots or steps taken?

Vazquez dribbles more, how does that possibly make him better? Even if we just accept that he is a better dribbler (which that stat doesn't reflect). Tevez outruns and outmuscles opposition players, for them what matters is getting past defenders, not "dribbling" more.

Tevez has twice as many goals, Vazquez has 3 more assists. Tevez did it in significantly less game time, 700 minutes (~8 full time games).

20 goals and 7 assists is better in my book than 10 goals and 10 assist specially factoring in the minutes played. Most importantly, this ignores every other aspect of the game. Who presses more? who is more tactially aware? who defends more? who runs more?

Anyone that watched Serie A closely last season will tell you that the answer to all those questions is Tevez.
Read couple of lines and I don't really agree with any of it, it came forth as a "supporter" argument, so I'm not going to convince you otherwise. I leave with this:

Vasguez - Tevez

67 - 26 tackles
26 - 10 interceptions

There was also huge difference in defensive quality.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Harmonica wrote:
rincon wrote:
Harmonica wrote:

10 - 20 goals
10 - 7 assists
67 - 61 chances created
126 - 61 dribbles
7 - 3 throughballs

Just going by that list:

Read couple of lines and it came forth as a "supporter" argument, so I'm not going to convince you otherwise. I leave with this:

Vasguez - Tevez

67 - 26 tackles
26 - 10 interceptions

There was also huge differene in defensive quality.

Laughing one thing, as I've said before on the calcio thread. I'm Italian before a Juve fan and Vazquez plays for the national team. Tevez is not even at Juve anymore, I always want the players of the nazionale to do best. I also mentioned the Zlatan year, he is no Juve player, you were the one that chose to talk about Tevez.

Regardless of which side you chose, Tevez or Vazquez, what I said about the validity of those stats remains true, they are arbitrarily picked and weighted in whichever way by their algorithm (which would be interesting to see).

I actually watch these teams play. I rate Vazquez, and he would start at TQ for Juve. But that doesn't mean he was the best player in the league.

Vazquez has never outrun anyone in his life. Very, very slow player for a midfielder. He plays a tight game, all about close control, dribbling and passing. He both wins and loses the ball in tight spots. He plays further back than Tevez did so he has different responsiblities and shines in different ways. He is more exposed to the ball and this will reflect on the stats. But he isn't pressing anyone. He isn't hounding the ball. He plays are more narrow game relative to his role. He is a specialist. Tevez in that season, relative to a striker's duty, affected the rest of the game much more.

Vazquez is as traditional no 10 as they come. If a player is gonna specialize that much in terms what they do on the field, then he has to be truly outstanding to best Tevez's last season. Pirlo did it, he played a certain way and forced all his teams to adapt because he was THAT good at what he did. Vazquez isn't on that caliber.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:50 am

Added PFA and La Liga 15-16. Another controversial (read delibrate bias and corruption) decision in La Liga. This is the worst decision of them all, which happened probably because Messi and Suarez split the vote.

Best Player Trophy relative to Overall Statistical Quality and League Finish

Premier League

15-16 PFA Mahrez, Whoscored Mahrez 7,84

La Liga

15-16 LFP Griezmann, Whoscored Messi 8,46 (Griezmann #9 7,50), Messi won league, Griezmann 3rd
13-14 LFP Cronaldo, Whoscored Messi 8,34 (Cronaldo #2 8,27), Cronaldo 3rd in League, Messi excluded from vote by Perez

Serie A

Based on statistical analyse and league finish (if rating is close), only 4 seasons appears to be controversial.

PFA 09-10, 10-11
LFP 15-16, 13-14 (Cronaldo 3rd in league, only controversial because Messi was excluded from vote, Messi would have probably won it otherwise)
AIC 09-10

If we take the Cronaldo's stolen award away, statistical analyze and league finish agreed with voters 16 of 20 times or 80% of the time.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:24 pm

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:59 am

RealGunner wrote:

EDIT 30 MINUTES LATER
nvm what I wrote below, hadn't realized this is a video. Amazing graph Embarassed  Laughing

Honestly stat comparisons like this tell so little without the work of adding context, and therefore I fail to see how the graph is "incredible"?

Players's careers have different gears and are shaped differently.
Some players are starters already at age 20, some are not. This is connected with at what size club they are at a young age, and when they make a move.
That has a lot of influence on their goalscoring stats.
Some players are wingers, and as such score not as many goals at a young age as later when, being superstars, the whole team is geared towards getting them to score (Messi, Ronaldo), while other always got played as strikers.

What this graph does remind us of however, is what an absolute monster and stunning world class talent young Rooney was, but then I don't think anyone really has forgotten that, except for Man United fans.

At no point I can possibly remember did anyone doubt Aguero to be an elite striker and goal machine, it's just he transfered to Man City, the least glorious and most unlikeable as well as most boring of top clubs, which has also a definite record of flopping and underperforming in Europe so far in relation to the investments made, so if there's a slight feeling Aguero's is not attributed enough glory given his stunning career of performances, it's exactly because of that. His fault, not ours.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:07 am

Awesome graphic Very Happy

CR will be remembered and a goal scorer with Messi probably more of an all round player, but even Messi's goal scoring will very likely be more than CR though once he reaches that age Very Happy
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:44 am

Love the music, reminds me of Runescape Proud
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:34 am

This is really interesting.

It feels like Chelsea changed the entire football transfer market when they got rich. City is ridiculous.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:03 pm

Stats thread - Page 25 PnRC417TvjnF7mof96kF4QdUfUZf0e0DW1rSQBT7eo8

Mbappe playing on his own out there.

Alexander-Arnold creates a lot for a full-back.

Moussa Dembele is a surprising one. He banged them in for Celtic but he seems to be doing okay for Lyon, too. Not far off Jovic who's having a brilliant season.

Iwobi and Maddison. hmm

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:02 pm

RealGunner wrote:

It feels like Chelsea changed the entire football transfer market when they got rich. City is ridiculous.

Inter before that is way more interesting

They were spending like 2x/3x more than the next highest spending club
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:08 pm

RealGunner wrote:

NO EXCUSES for any team that is in the top 10 at the end

I'm looking at you, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus, and Liverpool
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Jay29 wrote:Stats thread - Page 25 PnRC417TvjnF7mof96kF4QdUfUZf0e0DW1rSQBT7eo8

Mbappe playing on his own out there.

Alexander-Arnold creates a lot for a full-back.

Moussa Dembele is a surprising one. He banged them in for Celtic but he seems to be doing okay for Lyon, too. Not far off Jovic who's having a brilliant season.

Iwobi and Maddison. hmm

Just realized that this is not goals and assists, but expected goals and assist.

GTFO of here man
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:18 pm

S wrote:
RealGunner wrote:

Inter before that is way more interesting

They were spending like 2x/3x more than the next highest spending club

They were a bit of a joke back then, weren't they? Spending so much and not winning anything. At least that's what my shitty memory tells me.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25