TheRedStag
pdolson
54 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Zidane was not that great  - Page 3 Empty Re: Zidane was not that great

Post by bazinga Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:32 pm

drakefyre wrote:
bazinga wrote:Laudrup was better passer than Zidane, and hardly anybody even talks about him.

fixed .

Lemme guess , couple of barca fans who think's zidane's not that great ? I agree he may have been over-hyped , particularly after his retirement , but the man is that great a footballer . And also , when someone comes back from retirement , leads his country to the WC , was instrumental in two against the odd victories , completely outshone Ronaldinho in the big clash , led his country to the final , he's supposed be hyped up .

Random quotes on Zidane from the who's who of football

Carlos Alberto Parreira labelled Zidane "a monster" for his performance and playing skills.

Michel Platini - "Technically, I think he is the king of what's fundamental in the game – control and passing. I don't think anyone can match him when it comes to controlling or receiving the ball."

Franz Beckenbauer -"Zidane is one of the greatest players in history, a truly magnificent player."

Pelé, - "Zidane was the magician in the game."

Marcello Lippi -"I think Zidane is the greatest talent we've known in football these last 20 years, yet he never played the prima donna. I am honoured to have been his manager."

David Beckham - "the greatest of all time"

Xavi -"the '90s and early 2000's best player"

Roberto Carlos - "he is the best player I've seen"

So, we take these quotes seriously when it's about Zidane, but when someone says something similar about, say, Messi, they're talking bullshit?

Want me to pull out quotes about Laudrup?

bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by pdolson Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:33 pm

bazinga wrote:Laudrup was better than Zidane, and hardly anybody even talks about him.

i agree and also for drakefyre

* Romário: "The best player I have ever played with and the 5th best in the history of the game"[13]
* Raúl: "The best I have ever played with."[12]
* Zamorano: "Un genio!", "The reason why I make so many goals, is Laudrup."[20]
* Cruyff: "One of the most difficult players I have worked with. When he gives 80–90% he is still by far the best, but I want 100%, and he rarely does that."[21]
* Cruyff (After Real Madrid with Laudrup had won 5–0 over Cruyff's Barcelona): "When Michael plays like a dream, a magic illusion, determined to show his new team his extreme abilities, no one in the world comes anywhere near his level."[22]
* Platini: "One of the biggest talents ever. The best in the world on the training pitch, but never used his talent to its full during matches.[22]
* Platini: "Michael had everything except for one thing: he wasn't selfish enough."[11]
* Guardiola: "The best player in the world, I can't believe he hasn't won the title as best player."[citation needed]
* Beckenbauer: "Pelé was the best in the 60s, Cruyff in the 70s, Maradona in the 80s and Laudrup in the 90s."[22]
* Roberto Galia: "I have played against Maradona, Platini and Baggio. But the player I saw do the most indescribable things was Michael Laudrup."[23]
* Clemente: "To me, Michael Laudrup is the most genius player the world has ever seen. He will always be my numero uno. Always."[22]
* Bakero: "No one has given the club [Barcelona] as much inspiration as Michael. We all look up to him. It is a privilege to have your day enriched by a genius."[22]
* Koeman: "Michael was possibly the most skilful and elegant player I ever played with. Few could dribble like he could. He could sense when a game was ready to be seized and transformed by a moment of individual brilliance."[24]
* Stoichkov: "One of the best European players I’ve ever seen. An elegant, old-fashioned playmaker, he did things few other footballers could do."[25]
* Brian Laudrup: "My brother started as an attacker but became an elegant attacking midfielder, perhaps the most complete there has ever been. His vision, speed of thought and passing were on a different level; he always knew what was going to happen before anybody else did. If anyone had a ‘football brain’, it was him."[26]
* Ferrer: "Few people made me enjoy the game as much as Michael. Maybe he didn’t get the media recognition he deserved, but he was so classy and a real thinker. A master of the blind pass and impossible through-balls and I will never forget his ‘spoon’ pass in a game against Osasuna. He lifted the ball right over the defence and Romario touched it in first time."[27]
* Capello (After the 4–0 win of Milan against Barcelona in the 1994 CL final):"Laudrup was the guy I feared but Cruyff left him out, and that was his mistake."[28]
* Figo:"I think maybe Laudrup was the best player I ever played against."[29]
* Mourinho:"He was phenomenal in Barcelona. He was a fantastic player whom I would love to have on my team today." [30]
* Stoichkov:"Laudrup was the greatest"[31]
* Iniesta:"Who is the best player in history? Laudrup."[32]

Last edited by pdolson on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

pdolson
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by xabi Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Zidane was fantastic, still is....
xabi
xabi
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by bazinga Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Let me get down to my point - Zidane was great, but IMO not good enough to be an all time great.

If you consider consistency to be any indicator of performance, that is.

He never had the sort of season that Messi or even Cristiano Ronaldo or Ronaldinho had.

I would say he's a top 15 of all time, not more. That too on ability, not actual consistent performance.

On a related note - can't wait for alex to find this thread.
bazinga
bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:47 pm

bazinga wrote:Let me get down to my point - Zidane was great, but IMO not good enough to be an all time great.

That's like your opinion ,I respect that . And if you read the other replies around here , you can know what the general consensus is .
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by pdolson Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Kid Cudi wrote:Haven't mustered up the courage to read through his entire posts but from what I read it seems pretty clear that this guy is either a troll or just isn't worth responding to because he has no clue what the hell he's talking about.

In any case, it isn't worth a response.

i wouldn't write all that just to troll. if you can't respond, well than you're not proving me wrong.

pdolson
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by awalezelin Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:50 pm

talent aspect,
zidane = riquelme

achievement aspect,
club, zidane < riquelme

international, zidane > riquelme

Smile

awalezelin
awalezelin
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by bazinga Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:52 pm

drakefyre wrote:
bazinga wrote:Let me get down to my point - Zidane was great, but IMO not good enough to be an all time great.

That's like your opinion ,I respect that . And if you read the other replies around here , you can know what the general consensus is .

The general consensus is that people don't want to take the trouble to read a rather well thought out post and offer some genuine counter arguments.

Look at the quotes about Laudrup posted above.
bazinga
bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:54 pm

bazinga wrote: when someone says something similar about, say, Messi, they're talking bullshit?

FYI , If someone makes a thread saying Messi isn't that great , my reaction would be the same . I'm a football fan first , my eyes aren't blinded by the color of the team I support .
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by shamr9pato Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:54 pm

for me he will always be the best player ever who ever played but after ronaldo R9 they both were just pure legends how could you even use their names in the same sentence as overrated??/
shamr9pato
shamr9pato
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:58 pm

He never had the sort of season that Messi or even Cristiano Ronaldo or Ronaldinho had.

I would say he's a top 15 of all time, not more. That too on ability, not actual consistent performance.

But we're not basing this solely on consistency are we? Talent-wise, I'd say that Zizou was one of the best, top 10 of all time.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by xabi Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:59 pm

7amood11 wrote:

But we're not basing this solely on consistency are we? Talent-wise, I'd say that Zizou was one of the best, top 10 of all time.

agreed, but he was very consistant too imo. best CAM of all time
xabi
xabi
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:00 pm

pdolson wrote:
bazinga wrote:Laudrup was better than Zidane, and hardly anybody even talks about him.

i agree and also for drakefyre

<snip/>

Back in the old forums , the one before the last one , there was thread debating Laudrup , and i posted exactly what you said . But then I had a point , the thread was discussing Laudrup , not Zidane . And I said as a passer , as a pure creative force Laudrup was better than Zidane . Your quotes kinda support my point , dont they ?

And if you wanna make an article stating how under-rated Laudrup was , make a new thread . I'll even up-vote you Razz

And please dont educate me on player who you have barely seen play , I've seen Laudrup , I've seen Zidane , I can judge on my own .

Last edited by drakefyre on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:01 pm

bazinga wrote:
drakefyre wrote:

The general consensus is that people don't want to take the trouble to read a rather well thought out post and offer some genuine counter arguments.

And that's again , your opinion .
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by bazinga Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:01 pm

7amood11 wrote:

If we were to rank players solely on ability, nobody would ever agree on anything, though Wink

On ability, ranking lists would look very different. I'd say a top 10 without Messi, Ronaldinho, Zidane and Laudrup in such a case would be incomplete.

What about players like Recoba or Quaresma, who had talent but never made it? They would be ranked quite high as well.

Pure talent cannot be the only factor, but if it was, I have no objections with Zidane being a top 10 of all time.
bazinga
bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by bazinga Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:02 pm

drakefyre wrote:
bazinga wrote:
drakefyre wrote:

No, that is quite obvious to anyone who goes through the thread.

Just saying.

I don't want to fight though, so let it be.
bazinga
bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by pdolson Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:02 pm

[quote="shamr9pato"]for me he will always be the best player ever who ever played but after ronaldo R9 they both were just pure legends how could you even use their names in the same sentence as overrated??/[/quote

never said ronaldo was overrated.

pdolson
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:06 pm

bazinga wrote:
drakefyre wrote:
bazinga wrote:
drakefyre wrote:

No, that is quite obvious to anyone who goes through the thread.

Huh , kinda contradictory isn't it ? Anyone who goes through the thread knows the general consensus is wrong .......
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by bazinga Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Anyone who goes through the thread knows that nobody has actually bothered to counter the OP, just flamed him.
bazinga
bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:14 pm

bazinga wrote:Anyone who goes through the thread knows that nobody has actually bothered to counter the OP, just flamed him.

Zidane was not that great ... not enough assists and goals ... only two goals in a WC final ... and one great goal in a CL final .... and then one brilliant tournament at a time when the world thought he was finished ... random comparisons with greats of yester-years purely based on stats .

and yea , he was in the right place at the right time when he scored that goal against Leverkusen .

And then suddenly Laudrup props up into the argument , when the OP probably didn't even know who he was .

That deserved a counter ?
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by bazinga Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Why not explain his deification?
bazinga
bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by The BoyWonder Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:21 pm

is this some kind of sick twisted joke r what?

Zidane is, beside Ronaldo and ROnaldinho, the greatest player i have ever seen...

The BoyWonder
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:30 pm

bazinga wrote:Why not explain his deification?

I just re-read the posts , you say Zidane is probably a Top 10-15 player . Isnt that worthy of being called a great ?

drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by cositomilan Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:32 pm

when Zidane was on the field other teams fear france thats how I remember it
cositomilan
cositomilan
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:34 pm

Meh, zidane was ok. Barrios has been doing a better job, he should transfer to get some playing time.
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:34 pm

The BoyWonder wrote: is this some kind of sick twisted joke r what?

Zidane is, beside Ronaldo and ROnaldinho, the greatest player i have ever seen...

You wouldn't include Messi in that group? scratch
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next