Thimmy
rincon
Warrior
Myesyats
66 posters

Page 19 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26 ... 34  Next

Go down

Where will Messi go?

Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_lcap18%Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 6 ]
Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_lcap9%Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]
Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_lcap0%Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_lcap0%Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_lcap3%Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_lcap38%Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 13 ]
Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_lcap9%Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]
Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_lcap3%Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_lcap6%Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_lcap6%Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_lcap8%Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 34

Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Empty Re: Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:20 pm

Honestly, I think it's a positive if we will have more posters supporting Man City on here, just the two of @Casciavit and @Winter is coming is very few for such a successful club

Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Empty Re: Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation

Post by CBarca Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:24 pm

Chemicalboi as well
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:35 pm

The Demon of Carthage wrote:Apologies if I'm missing points here, haven't been following football much lately, but if the rumors of Messi wanting out are truly legit, Barcelona shouldn't stand in his way.

It has absolutely nothing to do with me being a Madrid fan btw. I would rather Madrid compete with a full-strength Barça than a weakened one. However, keeping players against their will is never the answer, especially when we're talking about the greatest player in the club's history.

I think he has done enough for the club to be allowed to leave smoothly without resistance when he feels the time is right.

Madrid lowered Ronaldo's clause from 1 billion to 100m so Juve could afford him. That's how you repay a man who won many trophies for you. Barcelona should do the same with Messi. Just my two cents.

This is not the same scenario as Ronaldo, Perez and RM. Ronaldo wanted a pay rise and RM to defend him against his tax case in Spain, Perez felt with Ronaldo aging now this was the best way to cash in on him and start looking into the future and his next galatico project, they both came to an agreement at the end.

A 33 year old Messi didn't get out of his warm bed one morning in Barcelona and all of a sudden decide he needed a new challenge. His departure is solely down to the way this board has the ran this club, from transfer to mangers appointment have flopped, this is not 1 year thing its over a course of 3-4 seasons now. I believe he's had this thought in the back of his mind for a little while now too its just more easier for him to go now due to the way his contract is, it Barto is making his life hell right now, it would've been worse 1-2 years ago when he wouldn't have a leg to stand on compared to today.

Now as mentioned a couple of pages back by Nick and Sportz this board is liable with some of the losses they incurred in their time in charge, I've read online if Barto step down today him and his board members would have to pay just under 200M back to the club from their own pockets, many of the board members pleaded for Barto to stay because they'd be literally broke. Losing Messi will harm them two ways, one is them being held solely responsible for losing a club legends who may have retired here, another is them losing out on a lot of money from, sponsors, endorsements, prize money etc. With Messi we can still win titles and compete in the top 4 without him its a big question mark, because of how dysfunctional this team looks, so they either want that 700M for him or keep him here as he is a cash cow for them.

Messi believes he has 2 more years left at the top if not more and with this current team and board he ain't achieving much and will just waste his years here, which in all honesty has already been wasted.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:39 pm

how is Messi a cash cow for Barto and the board?

Messi makes a huge salary, if Messi leaves right now the numbers for next season are probably balanced just on the relief of his salary right away.

If they negotiate like sane people and sell Messi for some 100m like Madrid with Ronaldo, then that's 100m to balance the books + around 100m more from his unpaid salary for next season.

If the priority is to not be liable for losses, then selling Messi at a reasonable price seems like an extremely easy solution. This doesn't add up
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:06 pm

Problem is, how do you quantify the effect Messi has on sponsorships, ticket sales, shirt revenue, price money, etc? I don't think he's a 'cash cow' either, but it's possible that the effect of having Messi on the books is neutral or maybe even slightly positive.

Would the players Barca signs as replacements for Messi (as there would have to be two or three) have the same star power appeal to those sponsors or fans? Highly unlikely. So maybe Messi has a neutral effect, but his replacements have a negative effect.

Barca has to renew shirt sponsors soon, and without any stars it's going to be hard to argue that they have much value as a brand. Who's the biggest player after Messi and Suarez leave, Pique? Barca would be in trouble.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:23 pm

It’s definitely measurable in some respect. Ronaldo signing for Juventus brought share prices way up.

I’m willing to say that Messi’s debut for City (or wherever), will be one of the most watched matches of the season. His appeal for a new club will be massive.

Barca and la liga will take a big hit with him leaving.

You really have to think of this far beyond the sport. This is a guy who is one of the most recognizable people in the world. This is about marketing.

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:25 pm

Messi will just sit out the season, worst-case scenario, according to some good reporters.  Under no circumstance will he play another game at Barca...  His contract has one year left and he would just forego his wages.

Barca should try and end this amicably because the alternative is disastrous for them.

Here are the details of his deal with Man City:

3 years with City, 100 mil euros net per season
transferred to NYFC for a fee of 250 mil euros, that Messi would pocket personally. There is no FFP in MLS.
2 years with NYFC, 100 mil euros net per season

so 750 mil euro, 5-year package...  500 mil of which will be tax-free.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:34 pm

If the whole reason Messi is leaving is because he doesn’t want to waste the rest of his elite years, I find it hard to believe he’d sit out an entire season. The only conclusion I can see is that he goes to court if Barca doesn’t accept a reasonable fee.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:44 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Problem is, how do you quantify the effect Messi has on sponsorships, ticket sales, shirt revenue, price money, etc? I don't think he's a 'cash cow' either, but it's possible that the effect of having Messi on the books is neutral or maybe even slightly positive.

Would the players Barca signs as replacements for Messi (as there would have to be two or three) have the same star power appeal to those sponsors or fans? Highly unlikely. So maybe Messi has a neutral effect, but his replacements have a negative effect.

Barca has to renew shirt sponsors soon, and without any stars it's going to be hard to argue that they have much value as a brand. Who's the biggest player after Messi and Suarez leave, Pique? Barca would be in trouble.

But the premise that I'm refuting is not that Messi is good for Barca, its that Barto and co. are acting the way they are to get rid of some financial liability. Barto's personal financial interest in this sense =/= Barca's.

Barca's elections are in a few months right? Surely the financial effects of selling Messi will be positive for the end of their cycles in the books

Then when its time to negotiate new sponsorship and start new cycles they won't be there anymore will they?

So no, I don't think pushing Messi to the limit in this situation has much to do with financial liability for Barto. At least in terms of what has been publicly explained.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:57 pm

Cruijf wrote:The only conclusion I can see is that he goes to court if Barca doesn’t accept a reasonable fee.

Will he though? I mean, I understand that he has a very strained relationship with the board, but taking them to court would cast a shadow over his incredible legacy at the club.

I really can't see it happening.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:12 pm

CBarca wrote:Chemicalboi as well

and Nasir
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:39 pm

Can’t wait for Harmonica to prepare a spreadsheet explaining to Firenze why Messi is the best ever player in Manchester, with some era adjusted stats
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:31 pm

rincon wrote:But the premise that I'm refuting is not that Messi is good for Barca, its that Barto and co. are acting the way they are to get rid of some financial liability. Barto's personal financial interest in this sense =/= Barca's.

Barca's elections are in a few months right? Surely the financial effects of selling Messi will be positive for the end of their cycles in the books

Then when its time to negotiate new sponsorship and start new cycles they won't be there anymore will they?

So no, I don't think pushing Messi to the limit in this situation has much to do with financial liability for Barto. At least in terms of what has been publicly explained.

Starting from the assumption that Bart's interest is making sure that when he hands off the team Barca are on-budget and he doesn't have to pay a cent, maybe. But it may be that Barca are so heavily off-budget that selling Messi for 100m won't make enough of a difference. So he's taking a hard-ball stance hoping to get 200m.

It's not enough for him that it helps, it has to dig him out of his hole.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:07 pm

Myesyats wrote:So if Messi retires Jiopsi will scurry away and leech onto something else? insallah

Still remember the days when I was accused of being a CR7 fan boy and that I was a plastic fan Proud

Can messi not just buy out his contract? Anyone know?
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Perucho21 Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:18 pm

Messi just needs to quit playing around and make the ultimate sacrifice, and that is to take his talents to the Santiago Bernabeu. What better way to stick it to Farto and the board by joining your eternal rivals. Ramos and Messi burying the hatchet while on the way to la decimocuarta :bow:

Perez already licking his lips on the prospect of taking Barcelona's most legendary player away from them and have him wear the beautiful white jersey of Real. Just like he did 20 years ago with Figo but this would be even bigger than the Figo saga.
Perucho21
Perucho21
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:44 pm

No thank you, 100 millions per year for old age Messi who disappears in CL every year is not worth it
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:18 pm

Manchester City's director of football Txiki Begiristain is in Barcelona. [cadena ser]

Man City's intention is to offer Lionel Messi a two-year contract. [ser]
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:23 pm

I didn't think anything would beat the Nerman saga in recent memory, but this one just might. Especially if it ends up resorting to court.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Perucho21 Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:42 pm

Myesyats wrote:Manchester City's director of football Txiki Begiristain is in Barcelona. [cadena ser]

Man City's intention is to offer Lionel Messi a two-year contract. [ser]

Messi's father will meet with Barto on Wednesday. Barto wants to extend but Messi's dad will only negotiate an exit.

For Barto and Messi's sake, they should come to an agreement along with City's football director
Perucho21
Perucho21
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:10 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Problem is, how do you quantify the effect Messi has on sponsorships, ticket sales, shirt revenue, price money, etc? I don't think he's a 'cash cow' either, but it's possible that the effect of having Messi on the books is neutral or maybe even slightly positive.

Once you build up a brand, then the sponsors will more or less. Our success over the past 30 years has built up a brand which should comfortably overcome the loss of Messi. Besides, we have always had superstars and we will soon have another one on the books.
The kit deal was signed recently and has a few years left. Even without Messi, our kit should still be top 3 or top 5 at worst and the sponsorship should go for a pretty penny.
From a financial perspective, letting Messi go is a no brainer. Especially, if we get good money. We instantly become a financially viable business.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:37 am

Yeah the kit deal is good for another few years, the shirt and sleeve sponsor deals are coming up though, and I'd say that (Messi or no Messi) Barca are in a very weak negotiating position right now. People invest in success, and the club looks like a house of cards. And that's before taking COVID into account.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:32 pm

dont want to start a new thread but who do you guys see Barca trying to sign to replace Messi as a marquee player?

kinda hope its Pogba tbh but I don't think he has 'star power' that much nowadays

Nerman and Mbappe are untouchable

so who?
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:40 pm

I think they already foolishly hoped it would be Griezmann

Doubt there will be any big signings this month and next summer new board will be in charge and who knows what they have in mind and what 2021 brings but I see them going for a Sancho type or Lautaro again next year depending on their development.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:51 pm

Firenze wrote:dont want to start a new thread but who do you guys see Barca trying to sign to replace Messi as a marquee player?

kinda hope its Pogba tbh but I don't think he has 'star power' that much nowadays

so who?

Lionel Messi Transfer Speculation - Page 19 Images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTCu7aEpx6nJzSuQxwIM8ivrGzN99_QCGqlQg&usqp=CAU
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:55 pm

Firenze wrote:dont want to start a new thread but who do you guys see Barca trying to sign to replace Messi as a marquee player?

so who?

like i said before, if i was Koeman, i'd make Haaland my priority. Stone cold killer in front of goal for the next decade, and in principal a great matching player for Griezmann to play off of.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:13 pm

With Covid and the current situation of this board trying to limit financial losses for which they can be made accountable, I would not expect big spending. If they can get a transfer fee for Messi, they might use some of it. Also, for a lot of the players they want to kick out, they will not get much of a transfer fee, look at Rakitoc going back to Sevilla.

The player we know they are targeting is Memphis Depay, that’s the level of signings they can afford.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26 ... 34  Next