Go down

The Matriarchy= Apocalypse  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Matriarchy= Apocalypse

Post by The Madrid One Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:21 am

The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:06 am

That video is really old. I remember watching that before #MeToo and all this talk about toxic masculinity and oppressing patriarchies.

This one is more recent, and the comments crack me up.

Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:18 am

Thanks for sharing that, i will make sure i never buy anything by Gillette again.

The Madrid One
The Madrid One

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:47 am

What's wrong with that commercial, exactly? I'm curious.

I'm not saying I agree with everything in it, but it does the job of saying that there are some troubling aspects of masculinity. We should try and root out those troubling aspects.

Again. People who don't like what toxic masculinity is are not informed as to what it is.

I don't like the term either. I like what it stands for.

Saying you don't like toxic masculinity is like saying you actively like violence. Or you actively like racism, or sexism.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:48 am

The Madrid One wrote:Thanks for sharing that, i will make sure i never buy anything by Gillette again.

The tears here Laughing
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:23 am

lol

This is basically what happens when US people try to be left. Instead of protesting for disarming their 800+ military bases all over the world, stop meddling in other countries' internal affairs, ensure first world health care system for all people, stop spreading weapons to everyone in the supermarket, tax the rich, abolish the death penalty, normalize relations to Russia etc. etc. etc.

They twitter #meToo and talk about "toxic masculinity". My sides.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:06 am

Yeah! Fuck people for trying to have a healthier life!
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:56 am

The so called left has always been fighting against non existent issues.

Well said Futbol.

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:08 am

Straw man

You can admit there are troubling aspects of masculinity and strive for a world where women don't get sexually assaulted at the rates they currently do (just two examples) while also agreeing that everything futbol said is also desirable.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:17 am

CBarca wrote:Straw man

You can admit there are troubling aspects of masculinity and strive for a world where women don't get sexually assaulted at the rates they currently do (just two examples) while also agreeing that everything futbol said is also desirable.

There’s nothing wrong with striving for both, however it’s a valid criticism that some of the left do push less important issues like #metoo and other social issues that honestly can take a backseat for a minute.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:28 am

How about, men on the buss stop manspreading for a moment? If you disagree, you're part of the problem. CB, Rincon - let's start a crowdfunding campaign against the crazy majority of straight, white men who take up too much space on the bus because of patriarchy Clubber #MeToo? That's old news. #AllInAgainstImportantIssues, #FemaleEmpowerment. Imagine the revenue when we get this thing started Molenation
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:22 am

I think it is insultingly simple and clear why there's so much wrong with that Gillette video. Sure, the message of respect and equality for all  is ideal, but this video does not represent that. The video is symptomatic of the shaming against men that exists today. It's a nuanced topic that lots of leftist sheep are totally missing.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:15 am

The left is trying to shame men into being equal with women whereas they should be focused more on empowering women instead. You shouldn't bring others down so that they're equal with those who are beneath. Should be the other way around.

Nevertheless, not everything can be equal in this world. Some of this stuff stinks of Communism and I ain't got time for that crap.

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:23 am

The Madrid One wrote:I think it is insultingly simple and clear why there's so much wrong with that Gillette video. Sure, the message of respect and equality for all  is ideal, but this video does not represent that. The video is symptomatic of the shaming against men that exists today. It's a nuanced topic that lots of leftist sheep are totally missing.

I get the same impression. If you scroll down the comment section, you'll see some people pointing out that they don't see what's wrong with the commercial, and they seem firm in their conviction that it's only theme is "happiness" or whatever. That seems incredibly dense, to me. The commercial doesn't particularly offend me, but I think the subliminal message is quite clear. Wrapping it up as some kind of family-oriented, inspirational video doesn't change the underlying message, and I think even the most progressive and women sympathizing members of this forum would've seen what's wrong with it, if it was aimed at women from a male standpoint.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:43 pm

At 40:20, Stephen Fry talks briefly about the modern left, or the "regressive left". And I think he does so in a grounded, sensible and articulate way.

Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqhp4mitFak

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:19 pm

Thimmy wrote:How about, men on the buss stop manspreading for a moment? If you disagree, you're part of the problem. CB, Rincon - let's start a crowdfunding campaign against the crazy majority of straight, white men who take up too much space on the bus because of patriarchy Clubber #MeToo? That's old news. #AllInAgainstImportantIssues, #FemaleEmpowerment. Imagine the revenue when we get this thing started Molenation

Again, it's possible to agree with aspects of a movement without agreeing with the entire thing, or the people involved, or even the types of people who are the most avid about it. The idea of manspreading is stupid as shit imo as is a lot of mansplaining.

I think those things happen, but I don't think they're phenomena related to men so much as they are related to assholes.

FennecFox7 wrote:
CBarca wrote:Straw man

There’s nothing wrong with striving for both, however it’s a valid criticism that some of the left do push less important issues like #metoo and other social issues that honestly can take a backseat for a minute.

I agree and I do criticize the part of the left that focuses too much on identity politics, absolutely. They annoy me as much as conservatives do

You're pretty grossly overstating how much actual time and effort is spent by politicians from the left on #MeToo and other social issues though. Those are mostly cultural movements that can be supported on the side (like through Twitter, or by wearing white to the STOTU address to celebrate Women's Suffrage). It doesn't really overlap with "defunding the military", abolishing the death penalty, or stricter gun control.

It's not like politicians have to make a choice when they wake up in the morning about whether they want to discuss the earned income tax credit or attack another politician who showed his penis to the janitor
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:43 am

So in your opinion, guys,..... What do the terms "man up" or "grow a pair" mean to you?

Why are these terms different from simply "step up to the plate", "take charge", "take control", "be brave", "seize the day" or more plainly "take responsibility"?
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:57 am

Interesting question, gonna try to be honest and coherent in my response.

"Manning up" or "grow a pair", to me, is not being a coward in the face of adversity. To face a challenging situation head on and whatever the outcome maybe, you do your best. Sure, you can say all those things (they all carry the same meaning anyway) but this just carries more punch by saying "man up, stop being an ass!" since you're going at another man's manhood. Or his perceived manhood.

The follow up question might be "what do you consider manhood or your definition?" and I don't really have a concrete answer to that. I do know, as a man, you gotta find a balance in being assertive but at the same time acknowledge that you gotta actually fucking listen and learn to understand ever so often.

Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:02 am

McLewis wrote:So in your opinion, guys,..... What do the terms "man up" or "grow a pair" mean to you?

Why are these terms different from simply "step up to the plate", "take charge", "take control", "be brave", "seize the day" or more plainly "take responsibility"?

The term, "manhood" is almost extinct here. I live in a progressive country and such terms seem to commonly be deemed divisive, these days. My definition of manhood is to possess, or being able to showcase the qualities that men typically have to a larger extent than women - physical strength and being able to solve issues that women more commonly struggle with, due to the differences in emotional response, depending on the situation.

The expectations related to manhood aren't fair for everyone, since not all men possess the qualities that men are supposed to be inherently better at, but those expectations seem to be shared among both men and women. Men and women, generally speaking, have different strengths and weaknesses, and that's the basis for our gender expectations. One could argue that some expectations may be a bit unreasonable, unfair, or has room for improvement, but I wouldn't want to live in a society where we strive for equality of outcome in this regard. Or in any regard, for that matter. It's baffling that the people who push for equality of outcome, don't seem to have even mentally prepared themselves for a society were everything is equal. That would be a depressing society with a shit ton of issues.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:32 am

Doc wrote:Interesting question, gonna try to be honest and coherent in my response.

"Manning up" or "grow a pair", to me, is not being a coward in the face of adversity. To face a challenging situation head on and whatever the outcome maybe, you do your best. Sure, you can say all those things (they all carry the same meaning anyway) but this just carries more punch by saying "man up, stop being an ass!" since you're going at another man's manhood. Or his perceived manhood.

The follow up question might be "what do you consider manhood or your definition?" and I don't really have a concrete answer to that. I do know, as a man, you gotta find a balance in being assertive but at the same time acknowledge that you gotta actually fucking listen and learn to understand ever so often.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer, Doc.

I personally see the concept of "manhood" in purely biological terms. Hitting puberty, experiencing a drop in our voices, in our balls, beating the meat for the first time and experiencing the result of that, growing hair everywhere, experiencing heightened aggression, etc....these are all events in "manhood" because they are exclusively unique to us as men. Working hard, starting a family, making tough decisions, defending that family and providing for it are not. Women do this too and have done this for millennia. I personally was raised by a single mother. She was both my mom and my dad so I learned virtually everything about being an adult from her.  How to be a man in the modern world? Well I learned that mostly from a combo of pop culture and male figures in my life, some bad and some good, but all useful. So I think when a man is told to "man up" or "show some balls" as a means of hearkening back to the rather archaic hunter-gather trope of the male being primarily the one that must take responsibility in a situation, it never fails to occur to me that "step up" would be just as effective yet modern society seems stuck on attributing this in purely patriarchal terms. We are a product our upbringing, however, so it's no real mystery that those of us who grew up with a dad who was the main breadwinner or even with a single dad will subscribe to the "man up" side of this concept while those of us who grew up on the polar opposite side of that spectrum won't.

Thimmy wrote:
McLewis wrote:So in your opinion, guys,..... What do the terms "man up" or "grow a pair" mean to you?

The term, "manhood" is almost extinct here. I live in a progressive country and such terms seem to commonly be deemed divisive, these days. My definition of manhood is to possess, or being able to showcase the qualities that men typically have to a larger extent than women - physical strength and being able to solve issues that women more commonly struggle with, due to the differences in emotional response, depending on the situation.

The expectations related to manhood aren't fair for everyone, since not all men possess the qualities that men are supposed to be inherently better at, but those expectations seem to be shared among both men and women. Men and women, generally speaking, have different strengths and weaknesses, and that's the basis for our gender expectations. One could argue that some expectations may be a bit unreasonable, unfair, or has room for improvement, but I wouldn't want to live in a society where we strive for equality of outcome in this regard. Or in any regard, for that matter. It's baffling that the people who push for equality of outcome, don't seem to have even mentally prepared themselves for a society were everything is equal. That would be a depressing society with a shit ton of issues.

Thanks for your thoughtful post as well, Thimmy.

So what I highlighted in red is quite a curious comment. Can you elaborate with examples to support this notion?

Regarding the rest, this leads me to another question. Physical strength is a given as men are biologically built to be physically stronger than women. That's true of virtually all mammals. No disagreement there. However, when it comes to mental, emotional or psychological strength and overall ability, I fail to see where men are better than women or vice-versa. Are you referring to testosterone and estrogen being the dominant hormone in each respective gender? What are some positions in modern society (excluding those where physical strength is the primary requirement) that women are incapable of doing better than men?
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:23 am

McLewis wrote:
Doc wrote:Interesting question, gonna try to be honest and coherent in my response.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer, Doc.

I personally see the concept of "manhood" in purely biological terms. Hitting puberty, experiencing a drop in our voices, in our balls, beating the meat for the first time and experiencing the result of that, growing hair everywhere, experiencing heightened aggression, etc....these are all events in "manhood" because they are exclusively unique to us as men. Working hard, starting a family, making tough decisions, defending that family and providing for it are not. Women do this too and have done this for millennia. I personally was raised by a single mother. She was both my mom and my dad so I learned virtually everything about being an adult from her.  How to be a man in the modern world? Well I learned that mostly from a combo of pop culture and male figures in my life, some bad and some good, but all useful. So I think when a man is told to "man up" or "show some balls" as a means of hearkening back to the rather archaic hunter-gather trope of the male being primarily the one that must take responsibility in a situation, it never fails to occur to me that "step up" would be just as effective yet modern society seems stuck on attributing this in purely patriarchal terms. We are a product our upbringing, however, so it's no real mystery that those of us who grew up with a dad who was the main breadwinner or even with a single dad will subscribe to the "man up" side of this concept while those of us who grew up on the polar opposite side of that spectrum won't.

Thimmy wrote:

Thanks for your thoughtful post as well, Thimmy.

So what I highlighted in red is quite a curious comment. Can you elaborate with examples to support this notion?

Regarding the rest, this leads me to another question. Physical strength is a given as men are biologically built to be physically stronger than women. That's true of virtually all mammals. No disagreement there. However, when it comes to mental, emotional or psychological strength and overall ability, I fail to see where men are better than women or vice-versa. Are you referring to testosterone and estrogen being the dominant hormone in each respective gender? What are some positions in modern society (excluding those where physical strength is the primary requirement) that women are incapable of doing better than men?

I'm not talking about being better at something, I'm referring to how women are typically more emotional, and perhaps more relevantly - expected to show more of a feminine side, which makes certain tasks more suited to, or expected to be taken care of by men. Needless to say, that doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't women who can handle those tasks better than men. An arbitrary example would be, getting rid of an insect in the house. Typically, women would prefer if men took care of such tasks. As much as some may believe it's a negative social perception or expectation towards them, women who can squash bugs without flinching, or get blisters on their hands from doing DIY work around the house, aren't conventionally considered as desirable as those who don't. Modern feminists can rage at men all they want, for harboring these expectations, but I don't believe that's ever going to change. Men like women who display feminine trats, women like men who display masculine traits. Obviously, that doesn't mean that femininity or masculinity are desired in any and all situations, it doesn't mean that all women want men to approach them with blunt and overwhelming confidence, or that men always appreciate it when conceited women approach them in a similar fashion.

Men who cry or get emotional from watching sappy, "chick flicks" are most often seen as being outside the norm, and therefore not representing their gender in an "ideal" or expected way. Women and men are different, and I firmly believe that we are attracted to these differences. Some of the differences are genetical, and some are clearly based on expectations for us to be different. I don't even want to imagine what our interactions would be like, if we were all the same. The way we view genders in our societies isn't always perfect, but like TMO pointed out, it's a nuanced topic that is unfortunately treated with extreme rhetorics, as a means of pushing forward certain agendas. I don't think "he or she is better at.." is the most fitting way to describe the differences between men and women. It's fair to be a Tomboy or a guy who's more emotional than average, if that's how your genes and/or your social upbringing has shaped your personality, but blaming society for it, doesn't solve anything. My belief is that if society caters too much to the need of this minority that doesn't fit the norms, then the majority will have to pay for it. Modern feminists aren't doing themselves, or anyone else any favors by suggesting that this is how it should be.  

I've watched a lot of videos on the gender and feminism debate, and I know there are a lot of sensible people among both men and women who have a more nuanced view on it, but the power and influence of these emotionally fueled individuals who aggressively push for so called "womens' rights" or "trans rights" can be quite scary sometimes. For instance, as much as I like to write off recently "enlightened", Hollywood celebrities as insignificant airheads in this debate, they possess the power to potentially influence substantial amounts of impressionable kids and young adults. I wish I could take Hans' laidback stance and just say "everyone's just exaggerating, it'll all work out, ya silly divas". Presumably, he lives in an area that's unaffected by these changes. But I've witnessed first hand how much of an effect the indoctrination of this new wave feminism can have on young people, and it can be quite surreal.

Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:07 am

Dear lord, anyone still living in the twilight zone regarding the seepage of extremist and illogical SJW mentalities into the mainstream and status quo should make Yahoo.com their homepage.

I will now be transitioning my email correspondence to another provider. I've had Ashley Graham shoved down my throat for the last time. Let's see Yahoo endorse a 250 pound woman with down syndrome and facial disfigurements on a daily basis as a fashion model the same way they do Graham.

The Madrid One
The Madrid One

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:05 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2018/07/20/feature/crossing-the-divide-do-men-really-have-it-easier-these-transgender-guys-found-the-truth-was-more-complex/?fbclid=IwAR2Y9ao5S3J43-YuQ8WYgNsa3VIrgc04sVflBj7Dks6209NAldu86rRObbc&noredirect=on&utm_term=.f6488b1d76f9

To those of you who can't be bothered to read the full article:

There are also ways in which men deal with sexism and gender oppression that I was not aware of when I was walking around in a female body. A couple of years after my transition, I had a grad student I’d been mentoring. She started coming on to me, stalking me, sending me emails and texts. My adviser and the dean — both women — laughed it off. It went on for the better part of a year, and that was the year that I was going up for tenure. It was a very scary time. I felt very worried that if the student felt I was not returning her attentions she would claim that I had assaulted her. I felt like as a guy, I was not taken seriously. I had experienced harassment as a female person at another university and they had reacted immediately, sending a police escort with me to and from campus. I felt like if I had still been in my old body I would have gotten a lot more support.

Prior to my transition, I was an outspoken radical feminist. I spoke up often, loudly and with confidence. I was encouraged to speak up. I was given awards for my efforts, literally — it was like, “Oh, yeah, speak up, speak out.” When I speak up now, I am often given the direct or indirect message that I am “mansplaining,” “taking up too much space” or “asserting my white male heterosexual privilege.” Never mind that I am a first-generation Mexican American, a transsexual man, and married to the same woman I was with prior to my transition.

I can recall a moment where this difference hit home. A couple of years into my medical gender transition, I was traveling on a public bus early one weekend morning. There were six people on the bus, including me. One was a woman. She was talking on a mobile phone very loudly and remarked that “men are such a–holes.” I immediately looked up at her and then around at the other men. Not one had lifted his head to look at the woman or anyone else. The woman saw me look at her and then commented to the person she was speaking with about “some a–hole on the bus right now looking at me.” I was stunned, because I recall being in similar situations, but in the reverse, many times: A man would say or do something deemed obnoxious or offensive, and I would find solidarity with the women around me as we made eye contact, rolled our eyes and maybe even commented out loud on the situation. I’m not sure I understand why the men did not respond, but it made a lasting impression on me.

I thought this article on life as a man, from the perspective of women who have transitioned into becoming men, was a really interesting read.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:17 am

She does not understand why the men did not react because she does not understand that biological women are conformists by nature, always looking for confirmation of others. Be it the opinion of their best friends about the new boyfriend, about the new dress, or, in this instance, the need for confirmation that she just witnessed something out of the norm (getting called names by a stranger). She needed confirmation that she definitely wasn't at fault for the situation.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:02 am

@McLewis

I grew up with mom as well after my parents got divorced. Pops was still around but my mom when she was alive had a far greater influence on me. And I guess it actually helped, quite a lot actually. Particularly when it comes to understanding women. I ain't no expert obviously but I do not carry that same "disdain" other men tend to carry. I disagree about the "archaic" stuff about man-ing up. Personally find that us men should at least strive to have propensity to be providers, if not for our families but for the very least, ourselves. But at the same time, if your lady is the one who doing the leg work, support her in other functions. Basically, I'm agreeing to disagree on that one but I get where you're coming from.

In essence, my pops and my uncles showed me their version of being a man and my mom and sisters showed me how to understand being around and indirectly being with women.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next