Doc
Great Leader Sprucenuce
McLewis
36 posters

Page 10 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 23  Next

Go down

The Official Roma Thread - Page 10 Empty Re: The Official Roma Thread

Post by adun101 Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:55 pm

Arquitescu wrote:Monchi I revere to know end but having Strootman and Naingollan sold i.e 50% of your midfield with a constantly injured De Rossi, a sluggish Nzonzi, flop in Pastore (sums up his career) and a deer in headlights Cristante is a joke.

And of course replacing Alisson with a goalkeeper who dips in his gloves in soap before each game (Olsen has been better than we say though).

Roma needed a rebuild and a change of mentality, just like Marotta did when he came at Juventus and like he looks to be doing at Inter. Naingolan is an alcoholic, he needed to go. Dzeko should be next, he's good, but he's a moody veteran who kinda sets the tone for the rest of team. Strootman was probably a mistake, he wasn't that old and his injuries looked to be behind him. Maybe he was making too much money?

Allison wanted to leave and they got a great offer for him. The replacement was a mixed bag.

Nzonzi was good at Sevilla, he just wasn't a fit for EDF's firestarter tactics.

Pastore was a dumb move, I have no idea what was Monchi thinking there.

So, looking at this, the big mistake was letting Strootman go and replacing him with Pastore.

Arquitescu wrote:#JusticeForEusebio

He got his justice all right. It should have happened after the Cagliari game.

adun101
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:08 pm

Roma have been doing well with some older players in recent years, but signing players who are nearing or over 30 is not a sustainable strategy. They should sign some younger players and try to develop them.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:37 pm

So I posted this over at Chiesa di Totti. It about sums up what I think of this decision

These players failed him. It's as simple as that.

I’m not gonna sit here and pretend EDF didn’t make mistakes. He made loads of them. What coach doesn't? Continuing with Florenzi at RB, when it’s clearly not his best position, is the biggest one to me. Yet I think it’s the players that have let him down more than it was the other way around. There’s just no belief in this group anymore. Even among the leaders and that is such a pervasive feeling that just eeks its way throughout the squad. Too many games they just didn’t have the heart or passion to get themselves out of the quagmires they played themselves into. Too many times no one stepped up when he needed someone to. It shouldn’t have have had to be DDR because that’s expected of him and he has done it every time and it damn sure shouldn’t have had to be Zaniolo as he’s still just a kid. Not a single player in between these 2 showed the requisite strength of character to grab this team by the scruff of the neck and drag them out of the lethargy that saw us drop points against clearly inferior teams. EDF’s job is to get it tactically right and I think he did that more often than not. The job of the players is to execute those tactics and they failed more often than not yet it’s EDF who gets the sack for it.

I hate that this club lacks continuity in virtually every area that matters. I really do. It’s the one thing (other than money) that separates us from Juve and Napoli. However, it’s become abundant that there are quite a few players that just aren’t willing to fight for the shirt, despite the pretty words in the interviews. They gotta go or this shit is going to keep happening no matter who our DS or coach is. This is literal insanity.

Ranieri is a known quantity so at least there won't be any surprises. Unless he can get us qualified for the CL, I expect him to kick rocks in the summer or become a suit on our board.

As for Monchi, I've been a supporter of him the whole season. I believe in his strategy and I believe in the long game he's playing. The problem is Roma isn't built for the long game (despite Rome literally not being built in a day, the irony is not lost on me here). We're a passionate bunch and unfortunately that means we prefer instant, expressive, stylish and gratuitous results over longer, more calculating and ultimately boring ones. It's just who we are. I've said it before and I'll say it again. We are that tween on the block who thinks he's grown and can run with the big boys yet gets shown his place every time when it counts. We've yet to have that moment when we standup and truly be counted as adults. Last year in the CL showed a glimpse of that, but that's not enough until we get over everything that gives this club the reputation it has right now. We're not even close in that regard. Monchi was supposed to be the first real step in that direction, but now I think our loss will be Arsenal's gain. This will be a bigger loss than EDF imo.

So what happens now? Well Ranieri comes in and I expect us to either scrape out wins (or slump to defeats) in these next 2 matches as he tries to restore some confidence in that dressing room or we'll destroy these next 2 teams because the players are on a post-EDF high. I think the former is more likely, but I've always been pragmatic like that.

Thanks for the kind words, Arq. You're entirely right. So many years of ups and downs as a fan of this club have numbed me to both the euphoria (like last year) and the despair of this year. I'm just so indifferent at this point that all I have left is my ability to analyze the situation rather than actually feel it. You know what though? This pretty much why I could never be a Juve fan or a United fan or a Madrid fan or a Barca fan or a fan of any sports team that wins perennially. This is why I support the Detroit Pistons, who haven't won anything in 10+ years. Why I support the Detroit Lions, the butt of SuperBowl jokes who haven't won anything in over half a century. The Chicago Fire, where making the playoffs is an achievement (just like the Lions). What do these teams have in common? They're all losers. Not a single winning mentality among them, but they are lovable losers and when they play well, they shine like nothing else. It's a real high to support teams like that in those moments and it's not one I feel I could get from supporting Golden State or New England. There is literally no variety in supporting these teams. So this may sound strange and maybe it's a hot take I don't know or care at this point, but to me it just comes down to the fact that they win too fucking much for my liking. Football, to me, is entertainment. Results are secondary to the aesthetic of play. Results didn't draw me to Roma, their passion and talented play did. It's no different than watching a well written TV show. I hate movies and shows where the hero always wins, where the villain always loses, where all the good guys always survive.  That shit bores me to tears. There has to be some drama, some suspense, some horror, some excitement. Of course, this is not an attack on any fans of the aforementioned clubs but winning Serie A 89493 times in a row or the CL 58 times in a row just doesn't sound exciting to me.  It truly doesn't. I just can't see myself getting enthusiastic about my team's 100th title win in a row. To support Roma is not a rollercoaster as that's a massive understatement, it's a goddamn takeoff and landing to and from space. Always iffy, but never dull. It gets the blood pumping and leaves heart in tatters. That shit is intoxicating to me. It's very addictive. So that's how I can put up with all of this year after year. Roma's my drug and there's no getting clean from it. I wouldn't even if I could.

We'll be all right in the end.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:52 am

What an absolutely terrific post. The last summary is a tour de force testament on whats driven you to support this club and I hope this is quoted for many ages on this forum.

Back onto Monchi, he has officially departed and nothing really exciting seems on the horizon given this Di Francesco-Monchi combination was exciting enough for me to tune in to each Roma game as Ranieri being flown in (even if interim) and names like Osti as sporting director just seem such a regressive move that will cause Roma to likely buy Okaka, Rosi and Brighi with a star signing in some PSG reject of sorts as the only thing on the horizon really is that stadium and it seems the ambition behind the project itself is a quadrant of the delay, even if it is worth it.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:17 am

Mutual agreement has been reached for Monchi to terminate his contract and leave Roma today according to Di Marzio.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:52 am

Art Morte wrote:Roma have been doing well with some older players in recent years, but signing players who are nearing or over 30 is not a sustainable strategy. They should sign some younger players and try to develop them.

Not sure if serious. Roma signs a ton of younger and develops them. Under, Pellegrini, Kluivert, Cristante, Salah, El Shaarawy, Zaniolo, Florenzi, Alisson, Schick, Karsdorp, Luca P, Coric, Marquinhos, Nainggolan, Pjanic, Benatia, De Rossi, etc. were all signed before their prime or developed.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:56 am

McLewis wrote:Thanks for the kind words, Arq. You're entirely right. So many years of ups and downs as a fan of this club have numbed me to both the euphoria (like last year) and the despair of this year. I'm just so indifferent at this point that all I have left is my ability to analyze the situation rather than actually feel it. You know what though? This pretty much why I could never be a Juve fan or a United fan or a Madrid fan or a Barca fan or a fan of any sports team that wins perennially. This is why I support the Detroit Pistons, who haven't won anything in 10+ years. Why I support the Detroit Lions, the butt of SuperBowl jokes who haven't won anything in over half a century. The Chicago Fire, where making the playoffs is an achievement (just like the Lions). What do these teams have in common? They're all losers. Not a single winning mentality among them, but they are lovable losers and when they play well, they shine like nothing else. It's a real high to support teams like that in those moments and it's not one I feel I could get from supporting Golden State or New England. There is literally no variety in supporting these teams. So this may sound strange and maybe it's a hot take I don't know or care at this point, but to me it just comes down to the fact that they win too fucking much for my liking. Football, to me, is entertainment. Results are secondary to the aesthetic of play. Results didn't draw me to Roma, their passion and talented play did. It's no different than watching a well written TV show. I hate movies and shows where the hero always wins, where the villain always loses, where all the good guys always survive.  That shit bores me to tears. There has to be some drama, some suspense, some horror, some excitement. Of course, this is not an attack on any fans of the aforementioned clubs but winning Serie A 89493 times in a row or the CL 58 times in a row just doesn't sound exciting to me.  It truly doesn't. I just can't see myself getting enthusiastic about my team's 100th title win in a row. To support Roma is not a rollercoaster as that's a massive understatement, it's a goddamn takeoff and landing to and from space. Always iffy, but never dull. It gets the blood pumping and leaves heart in tatters. That shit is intoxicating to me. It's very addictive. So that's how I can put up with all of this year after year. Roma's my drug and there's no getting clean from it. I wouldn't even if I could.

We'll be all right in the end.

Loved this. I am actually very happy to be reminded again of the beautiful core of posters who built and kept this community not only alive, but at a high standard over the years, in spite of the trolling and the daily dose of superficial posts we see here and there.

I completely understand this need to root for a team that doesn't necessarily deliver year in year out trophies, but mostly a passionate and an attractive display of football accompanied by a loud, loyal and beautiful fan base. In 9 out of 10 cases I am choosing to root for the underdogs if am not emotionally attached to one of the sides which can only happen with Man United at the end of the day. I am not rooting for the favorites not because I hate them or because I see danger in them as Man United rivals or something like that, but more because I would probably die of boredom. It's not thrilling, exciting or dramatic at all. This mixture of antithetic feelings is what keeps me alive, what keeps me sane.

So, while I imagine it is not always pleasurable to stay loyal and support a team like Roma, I can also understand how rewarding it is when things go their way.  Very Happy

And, to be honest, winning trophies was not exactly the thing that made me truly fall in love with Man United. It mattered a lot when they've won, but the most important aspects were the stadium, the fans, the atmosphere they created and the team spirit. Without these, Man United would be nowadays similar to PSG, Chelsea or City. So, when the team was not performing well, there was always this crazy vibe in the air, the fans being behind them, driving them back to glory by filling at 75000 stadium every week. The positive attitude and the winning mentality surrounding them were stronger than anywhere else. It's the biggest and most loyal gallery I've seen in Europe alongside the one of Borussia Dortmund's. :bow:

Last edited by Vlad the Impaler on Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:05 am

Monchi was too closely aligned with EDF to stay honestly. His position became untenable almost immediately after the sacking, especially if one believes that he wasn't even at the meeting to decide who will take over after EDF as well, which appears to have been the case.

I wish him all the best with Arsenal. They have the patience we lack so he will do good things with them.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:08 am

I don't understand why Monchi staked his position completely on EDF. It's was always mistake to do so. He made the club hostage over a decision that's not only his.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Roma have appointed Claudio Ranieri as head coach on a deal until June 2019.

The experienced Italian has replaced Eusebio Di Francesco, who was sacked on Thursday following the Serie A club's Champions League exit against Porto.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11861/11658819/roma-appoint-claudio-ranieri-as-head-coach
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:32 pm

Glad there's no agreement to keep him on beyond this 3 months. It's nothing personal and I like him a lot as he's quite an affable guy, but he ain't the answer for this club's malaise. He's to us what Hiddink has been/was to a ton of teams in turmoil.

Even if he can somehow qualify us for the CL, I don't think he's got what we need to succeed next season.

Just hoping for some good results over the next 12 games.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by adun101 Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:31 pm

How do you feel about Sarri?
adun101
adun101
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:39 pm

McLewis wrote:Glad there's no agreement to keep him on beyond this 3 months. It's nothing personal and I like him a lot as he's quite an affable guy, but he ain't the answer for this club's malaise. He's to us what Hiddink has been/was to a ton of teams in turmoil.

Even if he can somehow qualify us for the CL, I don't think he's got what we need to succeed next season.

If it were up to you @McLewis, who would you pick from Sarri and Rafa???
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:27 pm

adun101 wrote:How do you feel about Sarri?

Tactically, he'd be a good pick. I also think he has a resilience about him that would be needed for the pressure cooker of coaching in Rome. Beyond that, I'm not all that sure about him. I suppose you could call that indifference. I'd support him of course, this I know.

iftikhar wrote:
McLewis wrote:Glad there's no agreement to keep him on beyond this 3 months. It's nothing personal and I like him a lot as he's quite an affable guy, but he ain't the answer for this club's malaise. He's to us what Hiddink has been/was to a ton of teams in turmoil.

If it were up to you @McLewis, who would you pick from Sarri and Rafa???

I don't think Rafa is brave enough to withstand the heat that is to be a Roma coach. He'd crack rather easily. I also believe he would need a lot of time that he wouldn't really get to make this team his own. As for Sarri, see my comments to @adun.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:28 pm

I'd play my two cents on Marco Giampaolo...

Despite he plays with "rombo" and Roma has many wingers..that'd be a problem ...
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:31 pm

The popular pick among us fans emerging is Gasperini of Atalanta. Some of us have wanted him on the Roma bench since his Genoa days when he was linked to Man United. Tactically, he's the best of the bunch and he'd be an excellent gain considering the youth we have in the first team and Primavera. However, what I'm unsure of is his ability to stand up to scrutiny as a Roma coach. That really has to be the factor that gets looked at. The fanbase are fickle, aggressive and impatient. They'll kiss the coach when he's winning and verbally beat him down when he's not until his brain his mush, his nerves are frayed and he looks like he's aged 10 years (like EDF when he got the sack). The next coach must be able to handle the pressure that comes with that or else it doesn't matter how good they are tactically, how many titles they've won or how good they are with managing players.

I personally don't think there is a coach out there that can handle it. Can't think of a single one. So we'll have to settled for the next best thing probably.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:39 pm

I read Gasperini, and I think Gasperini, but this seems to be a fan-only thing. I've read 0 rumors or news about Gasperini to Roma. Which is strange because he seems great for that squad. All these kids should explode under Gasperini, and he is an expert on controlling the midfield. Average mids always overachieve with him because of his system.

Giampaolo is dying for a big club to come get him. That one I think is more likely only because Gasperini was burned by the Inter experience.

Both of them definitely over Rainieri for next season.

As for the Roma pressure thing, the semi realistic one that I think can take it is Sarri. He managed the Napoli pressure perfectly. From the very start Maradona spoke against his appointment and Sarri knew better than to argue with him. Managed ADL's madness and the city's increasing expectations (due to his own great work). In England too he is always brushing off media comments and acting oblivious towards it all, as a way to not fall into provocations.

The problem I see with Sarri is that Roma's team is built completely opposite to what he likes. Roma is built for Spalletti even after he left. EDF already had trouble finding his way, and he is much less extreme than Sarri in his preference towards quick passing play.

Cristante/NZonzi is a Sarri nightmare but a Gasperini dream.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:22 pm

Gasperini needs of time and patience to develop his game
And soliders ready to follow his tactical methodism
I remember Atalanta began with 5 losses in a row under him....
Inter didn't give It to him, Roma Is another histerical place so similar risks
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:51 pm

You know something, I'm getting increasingly nervous about Mou ending up at Roma. It's not about probability or even rationality, just an ever increasing tingling fear.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:57 pm

Oddly enough I would see Jose a resounding success in Roma though only if he takes year long hiatus to overlook what he needs to redevelop in his game and tactics.

Way more exciting than if Ranieri stayed or if Gasperini joined.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Mou to Roma Is impossible, Pallotta can't give that salary to him as first thing.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Beyond the fact that we likely will never be able to afford him, Mou is anathema to Roma. He represents everything we don't want or need in a coach. He is a proven winner of course and we'd likely win something under him, but not only is his playing style negative, his overall attitude and outlook on the game itself is as well. There's also the fact that he actively encourages adversial relationships among his players and with the media, which would spill directly into the fanbase as well. In a word, he's toxic. That does not mix well at all with the volatility of Rome.

Would take Ranieri and more trophyless seasons all day, every day.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:37 pm

So SPAL have done the double over us this season.

Not something I thought I'd be writing at the beginning of the season, but here we are.

With EDF gone and Ranieri with virtually no time with this squad, I expect the blame for this will fall on Monchi yet it needs to be on the players. I'll never understand why they continue to be let off the hook when it's they who are failing.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:46 pm

Ranieri will not improve anything. We should have kept EDF till end of the season. He at least kept us in the hunt for top-four.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Do you think Manolas will be offloaded this summer?
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by adun101 Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:57 pm

Kaladin wrote:Do you think Manolas will be offloaded this summer?

Yes. To Juve
adun101
adun101
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 23  Next