BarrileteCosmico
Robespierre
Freeza
41 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

The TV Series Thread - Part 5 - Page 35 Empty Re: The TV Series Thread - Part 5

Post by rincon Mon May 11, 2020 3:57 pm

AD is totally different to Community in everything, and both are amazing.

rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon May 11, 2020 4:41 pm

thank god then. I'll give it a try sometime down the line maybe, cant promise soon

i couldn't last past 3 episodes with Community, i really cant get into that over the top, forced humour
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon May 11, 2020 5:30 pm

El Gunner wrote:thank god then. I'll give it a try sometime down the line maybe, cant promise soon

i couldn't last past 3 episodes with Community, i really cant get into that over the top, forced humour

Couldn't get into community either (not that it's bad just not my type of comedy). AD is different. Intelligent comedy and really doesn't feel like a sitcom.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Mon May 11, 2020 6:03 pm

I would have resisted willingly to watch Community because there is Alison Brie, and so imagine a series tv with Alison Brie , but frankly I espouse the El Gunner's definition that is perfect :
really cant get into that over the top, forced humour
nothing more to add, translated exactly my thought
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon May 11, 2020 7:22 pm

Community gets way better in S2 and S3.

Season 1 at the beginning is really rough. I remember struggling at the start too but it gets really awesome later on.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon May 11, 2020 7:24 pm

Robespierre wrote: I would have resisted willingly to watch Community because there is Alison Brie, and so imagine a series tv with Alison Brie , but frankly I espouse the El Gunner's definition that is perfect :

Wait wat don't disrespect the Brie, she's done well in this series especially considering this was literally most of their careers.

That being said, I will change my 10 before you know it imo hmm
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Mon May 11, 2020 7:51 pm

Has anyone here watched The Shield?
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue May 12, 2020 5:48 am

Community has a couple of slow episodes at the start as is normal with a series finding it's characters. Get's amazing after that. Everything about it is Dan Harmon, it's the closest thing to a live action Rick and Morty with the level of insanity in the episodes and the amount of stuff squeezed into each half hour. A lot of subverting, or addressing, TV tropes like he does in Rick and Morty in most episodes.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Tue May 12, 2020 6:59 am

Nishankly wrote:
Robespierre wrote: I would have resisted willingly to watch Community because there is Alison Brie, and so imagine a series tv with Alison Brie , but frankly I espouse the El Gunner's definition that is perfect :

Wait wat don't disrespect the Brie, she's done well in this series especially considering this was literally most of their careers.

That being said, I will change my 10 before you know it imo hmm

No, you misunderstood !

I said I ' d watch willingly a series with Alison Brie (first reason : i consider her very beautiful, but she's also a good actress), so I begin with best intentions etc but  despite her welcome presence etc I had left soon this series ( on Amazon prime at that time, it's on Netflix now too ) because it looked like forcedly comedy for me.

I must say that I am not a fan of the genre comedy . I suppose it is main reason.
The most "comedian" series I've seen is .. Bojack Horseman,that a good number of ppl rates as depressive Laughing
Although personally, I believe the  nihilistic-depressive charge in Bojack is   overestimated. It's not " soft " ,  but in five seasons I think to have seen only 2-3 really heavy moments. The rest seems in line with many other things.
I don't know what's the vision about Bojack Horseman here on GL but I think this.

About Community anyway I listen your hype and I could give another chance in future ( atm I'm following an Italian serie tv for the first time in my life, Robes esterophilia Proud )
After all I rejected it after few episodes, it' s my limit, if I don't like a series I don't even get to first season.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue May 12, 2020 2:01 pm

For those of you not aware, I've been trying to get people on GL to watch my favorite show for years but nobody's been biting and I realized, some of you probably don't even know what Survivor is. If you've heard of it you're probably thinking it's a garbage reality show, however it's anything but.

Many countries have their own iterations of Survivor but none of them compares to the US version. Most of the international versions are very gimmicky and rigged and tacky and trashy. They are nothing like the US version. So if you are have this opinion about Survivor based on the gimmicky version of it that's running in your country, I'm here to tell you they don't compare.

Don't call me James wrote:It's the most difficult game of social strategy that exists in the world. Like a real life version of chess and poker but instead of cards or pieces actual people's lives in the game are at stake.

Tomorrow is the season finale of Winners a War (S40). A literal all winners season of Survivor. It's akin to Endgame. Everything coming back full circle, all the best players are back to compete against the best to figure out who's the GOAT. The season has been soooo good.

I would even classify it as more of a gameshow than a reality show where contestants compete for a $1million dollar prize. $2 million for the All Winners season.

In real life, I've gotten a lot of people in my life hooked on Survivor by incessantly talking about it all the time and every single person that actually gave it a chance fell in love and is now a huge fan.

Now the quarantine presents a perfect opportunity for me to try to get some of you to binge this.

It's available on Prime and on Hulu to binge, as well as CBS All Access if you have that. Also available in all the alternative places.

There are 40 seasons out, 13 episodes per season, but you do not have to watch all 40 seasons or start from Season 1 to understand Survivor. You can literally pick up at any season and jump in. Some seasons are better than others. But no season is the same. It's different gameplay and different dynamics every season because it's simply different people and they make different choices. I can absolutely give suggestions on where to start.

At the very least watch the following clips to see if this is something that would interest you.

McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue May 12, 2020 2:09 pm

im familiar with the concept of Survivor and how the reality gameshow works, yes, as i've seen a couple seasons of the South African iteration
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue May 12, 2020 2:13 pm

I'm pretty sure everyone knows the show. It's everywhere is every country basically
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue May 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Like I said:

Many countries have their own iterations of Survivor but none of them compares to the US version. Most of the international versions are very gimmicky and rigged and tacky. They are nothing like the US version. So if you are have this opinion about Survivor based on the gimmicky version of it that's running in your country, I'm here to tell you they don't compare.

Even if you know the concept of Survivor, if your opinion is based around the iteration that's airing in your country it's probably very different in core fundamentals that make US Survivor so great.

For example Russian and Turkish versions are terribly rigged and pretty much decided by the production teams and audience, which goes against the whole core principle of Survivor. The French version has unbelievably unfair twits that just lets people coast in the game. Bulgarian version actually had someone die.

Although, I've seen a few seasons of South African version and it's quite good. One of the closest ones to the US version. Another one that is close is Australian version.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue May 12, 2020 3:14 pm

So it's like Total Drama Island but in real life? I'm in

Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue May 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Myesyats wrote:So it's like Total Drama Island but in real life? I'm in

Lol Total Drama is supposed to be a parody of Survivor. I've never seen more than a few clips of this but I remember when it came out and my friends were telling me to watch it as it was making fun of Survivor.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue May 12, 2020 4:08 pm

it is something that can get you hooked for sure, because it's impressive to see all those people's endurance and limits get tested physically, but also psychologically too.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue May 12, 2020 6:32 pm

El Gunner wrote:it is something that can get you hooked for sure, because it's impressive to see all those people's endurance and limits get tested physically, but also psychologically too.

Absolutely, man. The players are in a constant state of heightened senses and emotions, sleep deprived, malnourished, paranoid for their survival in the game, not truly knowing who their friends are and who their enemies are.

Exposed to the elements and the environment, having to juggle being socially liked by strangers and building a small society within these tribes where leaders emerge, pecking orders emerge, hierarchies emerge. Having to push your body to the limit in its already weakened state in the harshest challenges designed to put you in terrible discomfort.

Having to do enough strategically and be liked socially to be deemed worthy at the end by your peers, whom you voted out, to give you their vote as the winner of the season. But also not being overly visible and threatening that your opponents realize too early that you will win the whole thing if you make it to the end, thus giving them the chance to get rid of you.

It's ridiculously complex and fun to watch players maneuver this game. It's sooo addicting once you catch the bug.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed May 13, 2020 3:16 am

Netflix is :bow: :bow: better be late at the party than not attend

Brooklyn Nine Nine i rate it B+ i've been binge watching the first 1.5 season. Love every character (and therefore every actor) in this show.

Of course it's not hilarious, but it's consistently entertaining and the jokes are not too cliché, it's a good show to pass the time

Not sure if i'll watch the whole series, slight feeling it's about to turn onto "who sleeps with who", then i'll probably lose interest... that's why i drop Vikings halfway through season 3, it became redundant

Drive to survive i rate it B
+ quality of image and the racing sequence themselves
- honestly not that much interesting if you've already watched the races Laughing they talk of superficial stuff, not much of the cars

Last Dance i rate it A
+ quite complete presentation of MJ as a player and person, exceptional footage inside the privacy of MJ and Chicago Bulls
- i'd prefer less travels in time, or chronologic order if anything

Killer Inside: the mind of Aaron Hernandez i absolutely recommend, A+, here the time travels are well crafted and the events are mind blowing
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed May 13, 2020 5:44 am

i share your sentiments on B-9-9
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed May 13, 2020 6:47 am

Community is rough for the first 5-7 episodes. It really starts to find itself after that. Then S2 and S3 actually build on S1.

I may have already said this before, but I rank S1-S3 among the greatest comedies of all time. Shame that didn't continue past S3, but that's what happens when you have a ticking time bomb like Chevy Chase and Dan Harmon on set. At some point something is gonna explode. And it did, and S4 was ruined and then the series tried to claw back, but lost main characters, and that's irrecoverable.

Anybody that likes Rick and Morty would like Community. Their humor is essentially the same as its Harmon behind both. But I agree you have to get through the first 10-15 eps to get to the show really finding itself.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed May 13, 2020 7:37 am

Fuck, so many comedies to catch up on. Arrested Development, Community, After Life, Big Mouth, Bojack

Will probably skip B99 because I can't stand Andy Samberg

what about Curb Your Enthusiasm? anyone seen that
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Wed May 13, 2020 8:21 am

Veep is also an amazing comedy.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed May 13, 2020 9:59 am

The Good Place, The Inbetweeners, Peep Show, The It Crowd are all great comedies.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 13, 2020 10:26 am

Myesyats wrote:Fuck, so many comedies to catch up on. Arrested Development, Community, After Life, Big Mouth, Bojack

Will probably skip B99 because I can't stand Andy Samberg

what about Curb Your Enthusiasm? anyone seen that

Curb Your Enthusiasm is great, if you give it time to develop (can only speak for season 1-6)
It's more cringe comedy than laugh-out-loud though, it becomes hilarious in hindsight, or in overview
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed May 13, 2020 10:31 am

If you're a fan of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (and everyone here should be, because that show is hilarious and legendary), you'll like Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I've been getting into Curb Your Enthusiasm recently. Never watched it before last month
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed May 13, 2020 11:04 am

M99 wrote:The Good Place, The Inbetweeners, Peep Show, The It Crowd are all great comedies.

As an IT guy, the IT Crowd is just my spirit animal.

If I ever own or manage at an IT company, I'm going to make this entire show required watching as part of employee training.

An absolute must watch.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next