Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

+32
Mr_Puyol
Robespierre
futbol
Brady2Moss
Juveman17
elitedam
Collblanc
RealGunner
windkick
McAgger
M99
Casciavit
Glory
Zealous
Art Morte
junkyard
Pedram
DeletedUser#1
messixaviesta
neuro11
BarrileteCosmico
rwo power
Bankz
BarcaLearning
Curtinho
Donuts
Great Leader Sprucenuce
sportsczy
Ganso
The Franchise
FalcaoPunch
matpol
36 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Who will advance to the quarter-finals?

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Vote_lcap72%Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 72% 
[ 13 ]
Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 5 ]
 
Total Votes : 18
 
 
Poll closed

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by messixaviesta Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:40 pm

Switzerland look one of the weakest teams left in spite of Shaqiri's latest heroics. One could argue that they wouldn't reach the last 16 from any other group except the one they were in and maybe H or not even that.

Let me be honest here. If we somehow lose this it will spell doomsday in Argentina. I can't see that happening but then no one has seen the future.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Posts : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-06

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by rwo power Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:01 am

messixaviesta wrote:Absolutely. Actually they were better in this aspect in the last two world cups. Maybe their key players are also over the hill now.
If Steve Van Bergen wouldn't have been taken out by Giroud, he and Fabian Schär would have formed a solid CB partnership. And if they'd have used Yann Sommer instead of Diego Benaglio who has a blind understanding with Schär from seasons at Basel, the backline would have been more than solid. IMO their current Swiss cheese defense is much due to Van Bergen getting injured, Diego Benaglio being dubious at times and Hitzfeld considering Djourou+Senderos a viable CB option (okay, in the last match he fortunately did field Schär).
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko
Posts : 20978
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:10 pm

rwo power wrote:
messixaviesta wrote:Absolutely. Actually they were better in this aspect in the last two world cups. Maybe their key players are also over the hill now.
If Steve Van Bergen wouldn't have been taken out by Giroud, he and Fabian Schär would have formed a solid CB partnership. And if they'd have used Yann Sommer instead of Diego Benaglio who has a blind understanding with Schär from seasons at Basel, the backline would have been more than solid. IMO their current Swiss cheese defense is much due to Van Bergen getting injured, Diego Benaglio being dubious at times and Hitzfeld considering Djourou+Senderos a viable CB option (okay, in the last match he fortunately did field Schär).


Agree with the first point. Don't know much about the second point but if you have followed these players closely then you should be right.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 43

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by DeletedUser#1 Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:12 pm

Hitzfeld was skyping Queiroz last night, asking for tips how to play Argentina.


DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid
Posts : 5155
Join date : 2012-12-06

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:28 pm

Natalie Portman wrote:Hitzfeld was skyping Queiroz last night, asking for tips how to play Argentina.



Queiroz knows only one way. He is one of most negative managers I have ever seen in football. Doing this for Iran is understandable but that he made Portugal play the way he did at WC 2010 showed that's all he knows.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 43

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:35 pm

BTW the last 16 knock outs first began in WC 1986 and we have hardly ever been knocked out by an unfancied team. Not just in last 16 but the team knocking us out of the world cup is almost invariably a super power.

WC 1986 - Champions

WC 1990 - Lost to Germany in the final

WC 1994 - Lost to Romania in the pre quarter finals (This is the one exception but the team was in ill mental health due to Maradona's drugs expulsion)

WC 1998 - Lost to Netherlands in the quarter final

WC 2002 - Went out in the group stage. Drew with Sweden and lost to England. Note that it was not a knock out and the only team which beat us was England who after everything else is still considered a big team and were even better then.

WC 2006 - Went out on penalties to Germany in the quarter final

WC 2010 - Lost to Germany is the quarter final


So what does that summary suggest? We do not lose to so called minnows and do not intend to have new experiences of this kind this time. Three times our bane has been Germany. So not facing them before the final is great. The other team who has knocked us out is Netherlands who we should meet in the semi final. That match could go either way but more on that when it happens. Romania I already mentioned was a special case. Anything less than semi finals from here for us is just so completely unacceptable that it's hard to even fathom.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 43

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by neuro11 Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:58 pm

messixaviesta wrote:BTW the last 16 knock outs first began in WC 1986 and we have hardly ever been knocked out by an unfancied team. Not just in last 16 but the team knocking us out of the world cup is almost invariably a super power.

WC 1986 - Champions

WC 1990 - Lost to Germany in the final

WC 1994 - Lost to Romania in the pre quarter finals (This is the one exception but the team was in ill mental health due to Maradona's drugs expulsion)

WC 1998 - Lost to Netherlands in the quarter final

WC 2002 - Went out in the group stage. Drew with Sweden and lost to England. Note that it was not a knock out and the only team which beat us was England who after everything else is still considered a big team and were even better then.

WC 2006 - Went out on penalties to Germany in the quarter final

WC 2010 - Lost to Germany is the quarter final


So what does that summary suggest? We do not lose to so called minnows and do not intend to have new experiences of this kind this time. Three times our bane has been Germany. So not facing them before the final is great. The other team who has knocked us out is Netherlands who we should meet in the semi final. That match could go either way but more on that when it happens. Romania I already mentioned was a special case. Anything less than semi finals from here for us is just so completely unacceptable that it's hard to even fathom.



wow...thats an interesting stat. i also hope this round wont be a big problem for us...

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 2206
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by neuro11 Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Natalie Portman wrote:Hitzfeld was skyping Queiroz last night, asking for tips how to play Argentina.



Quiroz is the reason of what Iran got in this world cup. otherwise they could do better. his math was to get a draw in first 2 games and win last one. they probably the only team who did not want to win the very first game.

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 2206
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by Pedram Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:42 pm

neuro11 wrote:
Natalie Portman wrote:Hitzfeld was skyping Queiroz last night, asking for tips how to play Argentina.



Quiroz is the reason of what Iran got in this world cup. otherwise they could do better. his math was to get a draw in first 2 games and win last one. they probably the only team who did not want to win the very first game.

If we played any other way we would've got our asses handed to us like other Asian teams in WC.

You have to understand that there's a huge difference in football quality between Asian teams and other continents.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 6745
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by neuro11 Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:00 pm

Pedram wrote:
neuro11 wrote:
Natalie Portman wrote:Hitzfeld was skyping Queiroz last night, asking for tips how to play Argentina.



Quiroz is the reason of what Iran got in this world cup. otherwise they could do better. his math was to get a draw in first 2 games and win last one. they probably the only team who did not want to win the very first game.

If we played any other way
we would've got our asses handed to us like other Asian teams in WC.

You have to understand that there's a huge difference in football quality between Asian teams and other continents.


and what glory did you take in the end??? :coffee: 
played wallball in first two game yet loosing one and got trashed in the third...unlike Australia and Japan putting a brave display every game ... Their game was entertaining to the least. you came this far to offer some extremely boring display....

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 2206
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by Pedram Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Yeah getting pounded 5-1 against Colombia and 4-2 against Algeria is considered brave display, there's a difference between courage and stupidity.

Also i don't share your view on how football should be played, for me a loss is a loss no matter how you try to sugar coat it.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 6745
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by rwo power Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:19 pm

Argentina? Switzerland? (That is, back to topic, please, or I will post a couple of yummy Yann Sommer pics ^^)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko
Posts : 20978
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by neuro11 Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Pedram wrote:Yeah getting pounded 5-1 against Colombia and 4-2 against Algeria is considered brave display, there's a difference between courage and stupidity.

Also i don't share your view on how football should be played, for me a loss is a loss no matter how you try to sugar coat it.


yeah...i can understand your view of football from your 4 WC appearance since 78 whereas Korea and Japan qualifying regularly since 86 and 98 respectively....

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 2206
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by neuro11 Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:03 pm

rwo power wrote:Argentina? Switzerland? (That is, back to topic, please, or I will post a couple of yummy Yann Sommer pics ^^)

sorry, thats my last off topic post

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 2206
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by Ganso Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:00 pm

things might get ugly tomorrow as Brazillian and Argentinian hooligans are setting up a confrontation  :facepalm: 
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 15522
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by messixaviesta Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Ganso wrote:things might get ugly tomorrow as Brazillian and Argentinian hooligans are setting up a confrontation  :facepalm: 

This world would be so much better off if some people didn't exist in it.


messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 43

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Ganso wrote:things might get ugly tomorrow as Brazillian and Argentinian hooligans are setting up a confrontation  :facepalm: 
Why are there such brainless idiots virtually everywhere? *sighs* I think in about every world cup there were (fortunately mostly only a handful) of those sorry excuses for human beings that only go to such events to beat the crap out of others... I would so hope that they would die out one day!
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko
Posts : 20978
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:17 am

Really looking towards Messi and how he will unlock that Swiss parked bus tonight, GO MESSI!
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 7728
Join date : 2011-12-08

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by junkyard Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:29 am

I always feel nervous and pessimistic when my team have to play against Hitzfeld's team. This pessimism is reaching to a new top level today when I hear Maxi will play for injured Aguero in stead of Lavezzi. Sad My only hope is they have Djourou and Senderos in defense.
junkyard
junkyard
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians
Posts : 308
Join date : 2014-05-23

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by junkyard Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:58 am

OFFICIAL: Sabella Choose Lavezzi To Start

News is out that tomorrow's line up will have Ezequiel LAVEZZI starting instead of Maxi RODRIGUEZ. Therefore Alejandro SABELLA will stick to the popular 4-3-3 formation for the match against Switzerland.

http://www.mundoalbiceleste.com/Article.aspx?id=3946&title=official-sabella-choose-lavezzi-to-start
junkyard
junkyard
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians
Posts : 308
Join date : 2014-05-23

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by Ganso Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:03 pm

there will only be 7.500 Argentina fans in the stadium today.Argentina will probably go through, but we will do our part Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 2997653223
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 15522
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by Art Morte Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:06 pm

Come on, Switzerland!
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 18226
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by Zealous Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:21 pm

They German in Switzerland right? I fully expect this affect the performance of Argentina :coffee:

Xhaka pls

Inler pls

Hitzfeld pls

Spoiler:
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo
Posts : 16098
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by Glory Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:38 pm

I am kinda scared about this match today. pale Have a strange feeling it might be curtains for us.

I dunno how to put it to words though. I think it emanated with the elimination of Uruguay and the newspaper the next day reporting Brazil wont be able to avenge the 1950 loss this time by beating them directly. So the next thing that came to mind was about the Albiceleste and a possible upset in the next match. I know its plain stupid, but .. hmm...

so only thing I want is a win, however shite we play today and I will be happy and I wont criticize the team and any player.  Smile 

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 6219
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by neuro11 Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Ganso wrote:there will only be 7.500 Argentina fans in the stadium today.Argentina will probably go through, but we will do our part Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 2997653223


why??? there were plenty supporters in group games, then why today it will be mostly brazillians....Same happened for Chile as well. can you explain exactly why is this happening.....i cant beleive supporter not coming...any conspirecy from fifa :coffee: 

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 2206
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:02 pm

I'm guessing group games (cheaper) attract more home fans whereas knock out games attract more developed countries fans and Brazilians, who get discounted tickets.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 27874
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E) - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 16: Argentina (1F) vs Switzerland (2E)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum