For a team who has possession, what are the best ways to break down a good defense?

+34
zigra
halamadrid2
DeletedUser#1
Helmer
BusterLfc
Zealous
El Gunner
Eivindo
urbaNRoots
The Franchise
Busby Babe
AnchorMan
Hapless_Hans
rwo power
Art Morte
Blue Barrett
Robespierre
Forza
ioilersrock448
Adit
Winter is Coming
CBarca
guest_07
lszanto
Lord Awesome
I Have Mono
fatman123
Pedram
VivaStPauli
Kick
harhar11
Lupi
Onyx
38 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

For a team who has possession, what are the best ways to break down a good defense? Empty For a team who has possession, what are the best ways to break down a good defense?

Post by Onyx Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:40 am

So in recent games there have been examples of a side dominating 70%+ of the ball, however they have been unable to create clear chances.

Atletico aren't a possession side at all and they struggled to break down Chelsea.

Bayern on the other hand are a pure possession side, however they were too passive. They made our defense look better than it is.

So what do you think are the best ways to break down a solid defense, for both a pure possession side and for a side forced to have possession?

Last edited by Yohan Modric on Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

For a team who has possession, what are the best ways to break down a good defense? Empty Re: For a team who has possession, what are the best ways to break down a good defense?

Post by Lupi Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:46 am

well i can tell you you have to have equal amount of tiki and taka ,when you have too much tiki and no taka you end up with possession only
Lupi
Lupi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

For a team who has possession, what are the best ways to break down a good defense? Empty Re: For a team who has possession, what are the best ways to break down a good defense?

Post by harhar11 Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:49 am

Get lucky, and I am serious.

Every team that has to play against a team that defends deep like Chelsea or Real Madrid did, everyone suffers. The only reason why people seems to think that Barça suffers more than anyone else, is because 99% of the oppositon that they play against plays that way, hence a bigger chance of losing.

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:53 am

Counter attack them.

Seriously, if a team is parking the bus, let them win an attacking free-kick and hit them on the counter from that, you have to be clinical though.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:57 am

Kick wrote:Counter attack them.

Seriously, if a team is parking the bus, let them win an attacking free-kick and hit them on the counter from that, you have to be clinical though.

Real Madrid are a counter attacking team and they have even a bigger problem against a defensive team than Barça does. So I don't think thats the solution..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:01 am

@Kick: I think you're making it sound easier than it is. If a team isn't pressing forward, I don't see how you will get them to do so.

I also get the feeling people are just starting to use the Tiki Taka label for the sake of it. If a team is going to have everyone behind the ball, it's not going to be easy to create spaces/chances without moving the ball around and picking/chooses your moments to penetrate. I don't think there is a best way to break down a team like that outside of remaining patient and forcing the defensive team to pressure the ball. For example, don't even bother pushing the ball forward, but that would be bordering on some Anderson Silva fights.

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:03 am

Shoot.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:06 am

VivaStPauli wrote:Shoot.

Then it will be blocked by one of the 9 defenders..

There isn't a magic forumla against this tactic..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:08 am

Gives you a better chance than not shooting, and trying to walk the ball into the net against 11 defenders.
A player in the mold of Robben or Kroos, maybe Lampard or Gerrard, can always snatch a goal from distance, and if not, it forces the bus-parking team to defend earlier, which creates spaces.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:14 am

VivaStPauli wrote:Gives you a better chance than not shooting, and trying to walk the ball into the net against 11 defenders.
A player in the mold of Robben or Kroos, maybe Lampard or Gerrard, can always snatch a goal from distance, and if not, it forces the bus-parking team to defend earlier, which creates spaces.

Last night Atletico took 25 shot, not a single shot was threatening. In 2012 in the CL final I belive that Bayern took around 40+ shot, only scored 1 goal. Barca in the same season against Chelsea took 25 shot, 15 on target, didn't even score a goal etc

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:22 am

Give up the possession idea and join others, teams like Bayern and Barca are isolating themselves with insisting to play only way of football, it makes them predictable.

Whatever they like it or not possession is just not effective anymore, they have to deal with it.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:24 am

Maybe teams could try unconventional tactics? Like maybe literally overloading one side of the box when crossing or attacking.

The team who is sitting back would then have to work whether to stay in shape or to mark the players.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:29 am

This imo.

True that theres going to 8+ men in the box trying to block the shot, but if someone with a really good long shot gets a nice lay off outside the box theres also a chance their shot be deflected in, trick the GK etc
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:30 am

Yohan Modric wrote:Maybe teams could try unconventional tactics? Like maybe literally overloading one side of the box when crossing or attacking.

The team who is sitting back would then have to work whether to stay in shape or to mark the players.

Its an idea, but at the same time you are playing into the defending teams hands. Imagine if Atleti tried this last night and it allowed Chelsea to counter with Willian, Schurlle and Ramires
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:30 am

Pedram wrote:Give up the possession idea and join others, teams like Bayern and Barca are isolating themselves with insisting to play only way of football, it makes them predictable.

Whatever they like it or not possession is just not effective anymore, they have to deal with it.

What if the defending team just keeps on hoofing the ball up field like Chelsea did last night? Should the attacking team just leave the ball on the halfway line and wait for the defending team to start attacking?

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:32 am

Pedram wrote:Give up the possession idea and join others, teams like Bayern and Barca are isolating themselves with insisting to play only way of football, it makes them predictable.

What style do you suggest they play? Perhaps they should give the other team the ball and put 11 men to defend as well? The philosophy is still a good one, it just seems other teams have grown content with countering with a defensive style. Team like Barca and Bayern (as well as other possession based teams) will have to figure a way to counter this new tactic, but I'm not sure there is one. But I don't understand your post...the philosophy and style is still a good one, it's not like Bayern have already lost the tie.

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:32 am

fatman123 wrote:

This imo.

True that theres going to 8+ men in the box trying to block the shot, but if someone with a really good long shot gets a nice lay off outside the box theres also a chance their shot be deflected in, trick the GK etc

It's not that simple. Bayern took over 40+ shots in the 2012 CL final, scored only 1 goal. Barca took 25 shots against Chelsea, didn't help them score a goal.

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:33 am

harhar11 wrote:Should the attacking team just leave the ball on the halfway line and wait for the defending team to start attacking?

I'd love to see that Laughing
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupi Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:35 am

why would you want to bring up ur defence and pin the other team down and then struggle to break them? why choosing the extreme?
Lupi
Lupi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:37 am

That is essentially what I was getting at, harhar, but I don't really think it should be attempted. But that is the only tactic I can think of when responding to a post like the one Pedram made. It is also exactly what I meant when using the Anderson Silva reference. I really can't think of anything else outside of not changing the philosophy of passing the ball and attempting to create space.

I think there have been overreactions when people claim the possession style is over and done with. It's still one that can succeed, especially when you have the players for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by I Have Mono Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:38 am

Accurate longshots ( forces the defenders to come close you down quickly) then try to play through balls.

I Have Mono
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:41 am

fatman123 wrote:
harhar11 wrote:Should the attacking team just leave the ball on the halfway line and wait for the defending team to start attacking?

I'd love to see that Laughing

There is a big possibility of that happening if you and Real Madrid reaches the final :coffee:

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:46 am

Long shots from the Half Moon area are the best possible solution. A tall CF who has good header and having good crossers is another. An Ibra-style player would be perfect though it also depends on who your playing against.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:50 am

LOL Just saw Atletico Miniero get their clean sheet torn up by a long shot as I finished the above post. Go figure. lol
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by lszanto Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:15 am

A few years ago united had an insane amount of own goals for their team, from memory it was because teams would park against them so they'd just shoot from outside the box and eventually a shot got deflected in. Harder against teams like Chelsea though when they throw every single person in front of the ball when you shoot.
lszanto
lszanto
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next