spanky
Albiceleste
jibers
64 posters

Page 34 of 43 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 38 ... 43  Next

Go down

The official Tennis thread - Page 34 Empty Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by El Gunner Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:45 pm

I can assure you Osaka entered that match wanting to win, and if not now yet, in the next few days, she'll realise she is even more happy she won instead of Serena.

El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:45 pm

El Gunner wrote:I can assure you Osaka entered that match wanting to win, and if not now yet, in the next few days, she'll realise she is even more happy she won instead of Serena.

Osaka the tennis player? Yes, that is what she said. Osaka the person? No, unless you know her better than she knows herself hmm

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:07 pm

I wouldnt put it past some of these Refs that they sht on some player's matches on purpose. Serena though... what a disgrace with all that exaggerated and arrogant victimism, she looked like a caricature and let things escalate, happy she lost for letting herself get triggered and then spouting stupidly.

Hope Delpo wins, second best Argentinian player after Nalbandian? Doubt that Vilas guy counts.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Betty La Fea wrote:
El Gunner wrote:I can assure you Osaka entered that match wanting to win, and if not now yet, in the next few days, she'll realise she is even more happy she won instead of Serena.

Osaka the tennis player? Yes, that is what she said. Osaka the person? No, unless you know her better than she knows herself hmm

look at you separating one person into two indistinctive things Laughing
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:53 pm

El Gunner wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:

you realize that it's her that said it? she very clearly said that as a tennis player she went on the court to win. and then when she hugged Serena at the net she was like a little girl again, because she idolizes her. She also said in the press conf, that it's no secret everyone wanted Serena to win, and even she knows how important the 24th slam is important to Serena.

Again, those are her words. I get the sense you did not listen to a word she said after the game. She is the one who created the separation.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Really feel bad for Nadal. I really wanted him to get closer to Federer's number of grand slam wins.

I hope he works on his injury issues and comes back stronger because he deserves to hit that magical number 20.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Nole will win this in straight sets.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:
El Gunner wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:

you realize that it's her that said it? she very clearly said that as a tennis player she went on the court to win. and then when she hugged Serena at the net she was like a little girl again, because she idolizes her. She also said in the press conf, that it's no secret everyone wanted Serena to win, and even she knows how important the 24th slam is important to Serena.

Again, those are her words. I get the sense you did not listen to a word she said after the game. She is the one who created the separation.

I think the major thing is people dont particularly care about Naomi, her feelings, or her moment as much as they want to carry their decade(s) long grudge against Serena hmm hmm hmm

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:
El Gunner wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:

As a matter of fact, I did, Nick. But to me that was a bit of media talk from her part. Obviously, it's true, she loves Serena.

But as an entire person (Naomi Osaka) in her deepest inner desire, she would have chosen to win that match from the start, and now even still, every day of the week. It would be foolish to think otherwise.

@Betty, is that last post directed at me? I have no grudge against Serena. I would like for her to get her 24, and maybe even 25. She is a beacon for many black people, especially young kids as you yourself mentioned. I am just more happy that I find hope in Osaka dethroning her because I'm also tired of Serena and her clan of worshippers and her ego/sense of entitlement. Eras need to end, and hers is ending soon.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:43 pm

I don't watch much Tennis, but was bored at work and tuned in. Serena was well beaten even before the penalties. Osaka had her number in this match. Very sad she felt she had to apologize for doing nothing wrong.

As for Serena, I understand her frustration. I don't know the rules well, but that whole coaching penalty shit seems weird and a drag on the match to me. Breaking her racquet was definitely avoidable, but again I get it. Frustration and all that. What player hasn't argued with the ref? Especially when they feel aggrieved and that the match isn't be officiated fairly? I saw no issue with that. Right or wrong, if something doesn't feel right, speaking up should happen. What bothered me was the ref should've warned her that he'd take a game away from her. Instead he did it summarily, without warning, and I don't think that was fair at all to Serena. I think she would've dropped it had he warned her so her reaction was warranted imo. I dare anyone to keep it together in the face of that. No one's going to go into that post-match conference saying "I shouldn't have argued with the ref, he was right and I'm wrong". That's utter bullshit.

I don't think the racism charge is there, but sexism? Yeah sure. Women walk a tightrope in places men do not. Was McEnroe docked points for doing what Serena did? Sure he was and rightfully so. Was he also considered a firebrand and lauded it for it to no end? Absolutely. Why is it different for Serena and women who dare to show emotion when things aren't going their way? Why do they have to just "take it" when the same standard doesn't apply to men? That wasn't disrespect and petulance I saw. I saw it as someone standing up for herself while in despair.

What I'm struggling with is how do you point out unfairness in a sporting match when you lose are subsequently labeled a sore loser? It doesn't seem possible as that charge seems to just shut down any discussion.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:06 am

Djokovic's defence is insane, he is everywhere. Delpo is gonna get gassed quick in the 3rd set if he continues to grind with Nole.
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:09 am

Game over already tbh. Can't see Del Potro breaking back.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:01 am

Djokovic with the 14th slam :bow:

What an unbelievable comeback, after struggling for 2 years and being written off to winning Wimbledon and USO in a couple of months Proud ,next slam is AO, Novak's favourite one, let's go ffs it feels like 2015 GOATvak all over again.

inb4 Novak is holding all 4 slams again after RG19 lmao
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:03 am

I really feel sorry for Delpo, he deserves more slams in his career, but no one could have beaten Djokovic today.
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:07 am

Novak got broken only 7 times during the whole tournament, won 5 consecutive matches 3-0, what a tournament for him drinking :fishing:
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:10 am

Deserved win for Nole. He moves so damn well, it's unbelievable. Only contentious set was the 2nd one, other than that he was (mostly) in control. Still sad to see Delpo lose it, but I think most people saw this coming.

If Delpo stays healthy he definitely has another slam in him.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:14 am

McLewis wrote:
I don't think the racism charge is there, but sexism? Yeah sure. Women walk a tightrope in places men do not. Was McEnroe docked points for doing what Serena did? Sure he was and rightfully so. Was he also considered a firebrand and lauded it for it to no end? Absolutely. Why is it different for Serena and women who dare to show emotion when things aren't going their way? Why do they have to just "take it" when the same standard doesn't apply to men? That wasn't disrespect and petulance I saw. I saw it as someone standing up for herself while in despair.

What I'm struggling with is how do you point out unfairness in a sporting match when you lose are subsequently labeled a sore loser? It doesn't seem possible as that charge seems to just shut down any discussion.

Seems to me that this is an entirely unrelated issue? Does society have double standards, sure. But in both McEnroe's and Serena's case they were docked points/sets due to this kind of action. The actions by the umpires seem consistent.

This is what the umpire that docked McEnroe wrote btw, worth a read

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/it-is-serena-williams-who-owes-an-apology-to-umpire-carlos-ramos-20180909-p502q2.html
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:04 am

Funniest thing about this whole thing is people getting totally and utterly upset about a ref following the rules perfectly rofl
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:32 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
McLewis wrote:

Seems to me that this is an entirely unrelated issue? Does society have double standards, sure. But in both McEnroe's and Serena's case they were docked points/sets due to this kind of action. The actions by the umpires seem consistent.

This is what the umpire that docked McEnroe wrote btw, worth a read

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/it-is-serena-williams-who-owes-an-apology-to-umpire-carlos-ramos-20180909-p502q2.html

Thanks. I don't doubt at all that McEnroe got the same punishment. What I'm saying is that while he was punished adequately within the rules of the sport, he was venerated by fans for his fiery temper. It's part of his legend. Serena displays similar emotion and she's lambasted to oblivion. That double-standard bothers me.

@Freeza I get the "rules are rules" argument. What I don't get is why Ramos didn't at least warn Serena that her next outburst would result in a game being taken away. I gather that he isn't obligated to do so, but common courtesy goes a long way, especially in matches like this. We see this all the time in football with refs telling off players, but not booking them or sending them off. All I'm saying is the same courtesy probably should've been present in this match yet it didn't happen, leaving Serena had an even worse disadvantage.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Why should he warn her though? If you already got points docked for coaching and for destroying your racket, does it not follow that if you keep being billigerent and accusing the umpire of being a "thief" while throwing a tantrum that the deductions will continue?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:31 am

Logically? Sure, no argument there.

However, I personally don't think she understood how much thin ice she was on. A warning would've demonstrated that clearly. Serena is highly intelligent. She would've understood just where she stood with Ramos and likely would've avoided that 3rd penalty. And if she didn't? Well then I wouldn't be defending her.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:54 am

Djokovic made an absolute mockery of Nadal in the final...

Satan's spawn. He is not human.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:50 pm

when fit he is a perfect Tennis Machine. If he manages o stay fit he has time to become the best eva
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:09 pm

Considering no one else is left in the game, he will break the grand slam record.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:35 pm

amazing that in the same era we witnessed the 3 best players ever Proud
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:59 pm

Since i'm a Fed fan, i can't help myself: Let's not forget that in 2011, which is considered Djoker's greatest year, a past prime Federer beat him at the French, had several match points against Djoker at the US Open, and similarly choked at several key moments in the Australian Open. And Prime Fed ain't losing to Djoko at Wimbledon.

:coffee:
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 43 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 38 ... 43  Next