spanky
Albiceleste
jibers
64 posters

Page 39 of 43 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

Go down

The official Tennis thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Warrior Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:05 am

Don't follow tennis either but i know Canada is on the rise. Players like Aliassime and Shapovalov have great potential. Andrescu is also a top player. We hear those names more and more in radio, i think tennis is growing in popularity

Tennis is fun to play but surprisingly difficult. I prefer the badminton :coffee:

Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:43 pm

Nole couldn't even win a bronze for Serbia Laughing

Will never reach GOAT status without an Olympics medal Proud
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:48 pm

No tennis fans actually care about the olympics, they barely care about the Davis cup Laughing

Still that Del Potro - Federer match in London that went to 19-17 on the 3rd set will forever be one of the most epic things I have watched
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:43 pm

Classic example of lengths people go just to hate on Djokovic
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:02 pm

Vibe wrote:Classic example of lengths people go just to hate on Djokovic

Not hating on him but in his, Federer and Nadal's prime, he sucked balls against those two, specially vs Federer. With them in decline and no proper competitor in sight, he looks like a goat winning everything left and right.
Yes, medal/trophy wise, he's gonna end up as one of the greats. The opposite would be Tyson Gay. He's been one of the best sprinters of all time. He'd mop the floor with anyone today. It just so happened, in those 15 years, a freak called Usain Bolt had his prime and won everything Very Happy
If it's about Serbian pride, he is the most Unserbian dude I know. Balkan people in general are anything but crybabies. Nole is a crybaby, a very big one.

Last edited by Babun on Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:35 pm

Well that post is just wrong from first letter to last.

Jesus.

Nadal and Djokovic are the same age. Federer had years of no world class competition before Nadal and Djokovic.

Djokovic is a classic Serbian guy.

You should probably stick to pretending you have a girfriend.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:18 pm

Vibe wrote:Well that post is just wrong from first letter to last.

Jesus.

Nadal and Djokovic are the same age. Federer had years of no world class competition before Nadal and Djokovic.
Being in prime doesn't equal age. Ronaldinho was in his prime 2 years long. In those years though, he was unplaybale.
Vibe wrote:Djokovic is a classic Serbian guy.

Down to personal opinion, IMO, he's a top sportsman but a crybaby when it comes to character.

Vibe wrote:You should probably stick to pretending you have a girfriend.

Getting personal is the first, sure sign someone is losing an argument. For your info, I'm still together with her. We watched Italy lose vs China in volleyball today..
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:38 pm

Oh, heck.

Shouldn't have done that, now the argument is lost.

Federer and Nadal are the greatest. Sorry Novak, you won all that shit and now it's worthless because I just couldn't keep my mouth shut Mad

I'm sure your GF is real, probably hanging out with my lawyer. Ad hominem is kind of my MO, I must be a loser tbh
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:03 am

Vibe wrote:Oh, heck.

Shouldn't have done that, now the argument is lost.

Federer and Nadal are the greatest. Sorry Novak, you won all that shit and now it's worthless because I just couldn't keep my mouth shut Mad

I'm sure your GF is real, probably hanging out with my lawyer. Ad hominem is kind of my MO, I must be a loser tbh

The official Tennis thread - Page 39 HLcEkSh
Olympic Gold for Germany by Zverev, Steffi Graf remains the only tennis player to ever win a golden slam in history albino
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:43 am

The big 3 debate in tennis is probably even more bloody than the Ronaldo vs Messi debate and arguments will almost always be filled with bias and contempt from start to finish.

The way I see it, if Novak is going to get such exaggerated hate then it is only fitting for him to reply by storming the record books the way he's doing. Kinda reminds me of CR7 and Michael Schumacher in this respect. The three big records left for him are to surpass the 24 singles grand slams of Margaret Court, the 377 weeks at world #1 overall record held by Graf (he already has the men's record at 332 weeks), and to stand alone with the men's' year end #1 ranking record with 7 wins, which he can get to this year even if he doesn't win the Us Open (tied with Sampras).

I've followed Tennis since even before Football and the general feeling that I have felt has always been that the Olympics in Tennis is not too much of a big deal, just slightly more valuable than what it means in Football for example. Recently it has gained more traction because of the current Olympics and the Golden Slam story + big 3 rivalry. Andy Murray case in point, has 3 grand slams and 2 Olympics medals and people tend to see those medals more as a curiosity than a GOAT achievement.

Legitimately speaking Steffi Graf's Golden Slam has never been lauded as much as Rod Laver's Calendar Grand Slams for example, not even close, she deserves more recognition but again, the Olympics have always held a bit of an esoteric and fleeting feeling to them. Also, Graf had it a little easier than Djokovic, she was younger, the Olympics were held after all 4 grand slams were finished, and there was also more time spaced out between the different competitions, more rest.

Djokovic's story in his book, how his diet change in 2010 changed him as a player and as a person, the hardships he experienced as a child in war torn Yugoslavia, and the ungodly discipline and dedication that it has taken him to achieve what he has is stunning, hope this loss just ignites him further on.

As for Federer his post 2009 record is a bit damning I think, people throw names around like Safin, Nalbandian, Hewitt, Roddick, and Davydenko to counter the famous weak era claims but that's all a weak mirage, a good number of those names were finished by 2007 and are retroactively overhyped. As much as I love Safin and Nalbandian (2 of my top 3 favorite ever) they were supremely talented but not up for the task like Andy Murray was physically and mentally for example.

And Nadal exaggerated his Grand Slam and Masters 1000s count with all the clay tournaments and still hasn't won the ATP Finals. His record post 2010 is also a bit damning.

Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Laver, Borg, Sampras, is a good GOAT list for me.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:19 am

As for Federer his post 2009 record is a bit damning I think, people throw names around like Safin, Nalbandian, Hewitt, Roddick, and Davydenko to counter the famous weak era claims but that's all a weak mirage, a good number of those names were finished by 2007 and are retroactively overhyped. As much as I love Safin and Nalbandian (2 of my top 3 favorite ever) they were supremely talented but not up for the task like Andy Murray was physically and mentally for example.
i find this anti-Federer argument poor though. At the end of the day you play up to the level of your competition, and you can only beat what's in front of you.

Plus there's nothing damning about Federer post-2009. He had a bit of a lull 2010 and 2011, but then he has constantly adapted his game and continued to play some incredible tennis, while still beating Novak and Nadal. He actually has a better H2H record vs Nadal since 2017. Federer pretty much owned Djokovic the whole Wimbledon final in 2019 but then of course Federer's one weakness (his killer instinct to close off the game) bit him at the end. Still, that final is far more impressive to me than some of his early career major wins... considering the age he was at and Djokovic being in the prime of his life
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:42 pm

How can we say that nole doesn't have proper competition when he's only a year younger than Nadal? Rafa came into his prime earlier but we shouldn't talk about him as if he were a much more senior player.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:55 am

And Djokovic only gets 2nd place at the US Open. On to the next one but for now it remains 20-20-20
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:37 pm

It was extremely unlike him last night.

He is still most likely to win 21st than the other two.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:13 pm

Roger has played some of his best tennis of the last 5 years or so at the Aus Open, but i have a feeling father time has finally caught up with him.

how awesome would it be if they all end with 20 lol, but highly unlikely because Rafa has Roland Garros and Djokovic still has years left in him.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:58 pm

Federer is done. The age was already against him but now the injuries seem to be too serious. I won't be surprised if he never plays again.

As for Nadal he has had his fair share of injury problems but I still think he has a RG or two in him.

Nole can go further because he has managed to keep himself healthy for a long time. Whether the younger generation can deny him a 21nd is a big question, because they are not consistent at all. Wouldn't be one bit surprised if Medvedev is eliminated the first round of AO.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:52 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncsNZacfla0
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:05 pm

I didn't realize Novax wasn't deported back to Serbia, he's actually being held in a "deportation camp" outside of Australia. WTF Laughing
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:58 pm

lol pls someone post a video on that Novak story, sounds interesting
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:05 pm

It's a bit of a meme in Serbia, cause our biggest drug lord was released and spent Christmas at home, while Djokovic spent it in prison Laughing
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:14 pm

Novak Djokovic ‘lured to Australia to be humiliated’, says Serbia

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/07/novak-djokovic-lured-to-australia-to-be-humiliated-says-serbia

Australian officials have said the player, who has refused to reveal his Covid vaccination status but previously said he was opposed to vaccination, was refused entry because he failed to meet exemption requirements. They have also said the player is free to leave the country whenever he chooses.

From what I've seen the australian government is off the rails regarding covid
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:51 pm

Watched the Australian customs tv-show about month ago. They stopped a man who smelled bad and had his clothes on plastic bag. After concluding that he had indeed reserved hotel for a week, but because he only had 500€ money, they decided not to let him in the country. There and then I decided that I'll never visit Australia, horrible people.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:41 pm

yea also was faced was some incredible visa demands and stipulations 7 years back or so when i considered applying to universities there... realised there and then the same thing
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:11 pm

El Gunner wrote:lol pls someone post a video on that Novak story, sounds interesting

While I hate the DM, this actually has all the info you need

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10374269/Novak-Djokovic-kicked-Australia-HOURS-lawyers-battle-stop-deportation.html

TLDR Nole was going to skip the Australia Open in Melbourne because he couldn't get into the country. This is a shame because if he were able to participate he's the favorite (by far) to win the AO and surpass Nadal's and Federer's grand slam counts.

A few days before the AO he announced he got an exemption and will be participating after all.

This majorly pissed off Australians, who have been living with one of the longest and most brutal quarantines in the world, and it turned into a political scandal.

When Nole arrived Australia, border patrol said he did not provide evidence for his exemption, denied him entry, and sent him to a hotel under guard as he awaits deportation.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:39 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
El Gunner wrote:lol pls someone post a video on that Novak story, sounds interesting

While I hate the DM, this actually has all the info you need

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10374269/Novak-Djokovic-kicked-Australia-HOURS-lawyers-battle-stop-deportation.html

TLDR Nole was going to skip the Australia Open in Melbourne because he couldn't get into the country. This is a shame because if he were able to participate he's the favorite (by far) to win the AO and surpass Nadal's and Federer's grand slam counts.

A few days before the AO he announced he got an exemption and will be participating after all.

This majorly pissed off Australians, who have been living with one of the longest and most brutal quarantines in the world, and it turned into a political scandal.

When Nole arrived Australia, border patrol said he did not provide evidence for his exemption, denied him entry, and sent him to a hotel under guard as he awaits deportation.

Why is that? What sets them apart from France or the UK or hell India (200 people died here due to the lockdown)?
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:53 am

Idk, wish we still had some Australians around to tell us why, but it's true that Melbourne has taken covid more seriously than most

Last edited by BarrileteCosmico on Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 43 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next