Juveman17
Tomwin Lannister
REWB
Firenze
Swanhends
44 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship - Page 2 Empty Re: Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship

Post by El Gunner Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 am

Survival, hands down...

I mean, the money difference between the first tier and second tier, is huge!!!

El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship - Page 2 Empty Re: Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship

Post by El Gunner Tue May 07, 2013 8:03 am

ExtremistEnigma wrote:I don't think people here realize how prestigious the FA Cup is, especially for a club like Wigan. Winning it would mean everything to them.

The probability of winning the FA Cup for Premier League/Championship clubs is 1/64. Compare this to the promotion from Championship to Premier League: 2/24 = 1/12 (I'm not even considering the playoffs). In whatever way you look at it, winning the FA Cup makes much more sense.

Think of it this way, which season will be more fondly remembered? The season where Wigan escaped relegation or the season where they won their first major trophy?
You actually make a good point in that last paragraph.

But still the future of the club won't be that bright. As mentioned before they'll lose players, money coming in to the club will not be as MUCH as it would if they'd be in PL, and we never know how long its going to take to come up again.

They might come back up like Newcastle did, or they might just stay there and struggle like a team like Middlesborough has.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue May 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Stay in the PL. It's a better long term thing. If they get relegated, it may be a long time until they're promoted again. They might even decline so bad that they get relegated twice in a row like Wolves.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue May 07, 2013 12:55 pm

For a club like Wigan, getting to a final of the FA Cup/League Cup would be easier than getting out of the championship and back into the top tier IMO. Besides, Wigan fans already had the pleasure of winning multiple cup finals this season. Martinez has been banging on about how every game is one since around November. :coffee:
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 07, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm actually going to be at the final so I hope they win the cup lol
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Tue May 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Staying up in the premier league. I would rather watch the team play against top quality opponents every week than watch them in the championship and have the memory of an FA cup win. The cup is just not as important.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Guys saying winning the cup isn't important need to realise something. Wigan may never get a chance like this ever again so an FA cup win at Wembley would live forever at Wigan. It would be something the fans could look back on and never forget.

Besides They won't go down Cool
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Tue May 07, 2013 1:31 pm

Zealous wrote:Guys saying winning the cup isn't important need to realise something. Wigan may never get a chance like this ever again so an FA cup win at Wembley would live forever at Wigan. It would be something the fans could look back on and never forget.

Besides They won't go down Cool

Of course the FA cup is important. But, given a choice, I would rather look at the future and think about the possibilities rather than look at the past and be happy about the memories. I don't mind sacrificing a cup for a relatively brighter future.

kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 07, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm with Sepi here, btw

There is no bright future for Wigan, realistically Premier League mid-table is the end of the road for them bar some Man City type takeover (highly unlikely)

Surviving and getting more money is going to help them achieve what, exactly?

They keep surviving every year and all they've managed to do with all that money is to stay exactly where they are because they sell their best players every year anyway

Money lasts a season or so, an FA Cup is forever
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue May 07, 2013 1:37 pm

the cup

of course a forum full of barcelona/chelsea/juventus fans will claim playing in the league is more important, because to them the mickey mouse competitions don't matter but fans of small teams prefer winning... a lot of my friends support championship/league 1 clubs and they go insane over occasional good cup runs
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Wake up and smell the money. Small clubs have no future in football unless they get a huge surge in investment. Wigan's future is a series of relegation battles because they sell their best players every year.

They play good football, imo they deserve something to show for it.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 07, 2013 1:42 pm

Swanhends wrote:I'm with Sepi here, btw

There is no bright future for Wigan, realistically Premier League mid-table is the end of the road for them bar some Man City type takeover (highly unlikely)

Surviving and getting more money is going to help them achieve what, exactly?

They keep surviving every year and all they've managed to do with all that money is to stay exactly where they are because they sell their best players every year anyway

Money lasts a season or so, an FA Cup is forever

Proud

I want to be able to say that I was there when Wigan beat Man City in dream final at Wembley Proud

(watch them lose 5-0 now lol)
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 07, 2013 2:05 pm

I 100% agree with Che, Bhends, Zeal(Razz) and Sepi.

Its hard for some of you to understand, but a trophy will always trump money to fans of clubs like this.

FYI i would take relegation if it meant we won the FA Cup.

Its actually very sad its come to the stage that trophies are second to money to a lot of people.

Last edited by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Tue May 07, 2013 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Moal why didn't you include me ffs, I'm the only Wiganista on this board ffs.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 07, 2013 2:08 pm

Zealous wrote:Moal why didn't you include me ffs, I'm the only Wiganista on this board ffs.

Didn't see your post brah, i am sorry Sad
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 07, 2013 2:17 pm

<3
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue May 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Wigan Athletic have been in the Premier League since 2005 and their highest finish was 10th in 2005, they will never finish higher than that despite having a very good coach in Martinez.

It won't matter how much money they get next season being in the Premier League because others teams will get similar money too and those teams will strengthen aswell as Wigan so there's a high possibility that Wigan will have a relegation fight once again next season.

Maybe they'll survive again in the last day but as a fan of a small club as Wigan I would prefer winning the FA Cup and being a midtable Championship team instead of seeing my team lose 18-20 games every season just to survive in the last day in the Premier League.

My prediction for Wigan is that they will lose the final AND get relegated in the end.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue May 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Btw Dave Whelan (Wigan's owner) answered a similar question:

"Survival in the Premier League remains the number one priority for this football club," he told The Evening Post.

"Winning the FA Cup would be amazing, but not if it comes at the expense of us losing our Premier League status."
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue May 07, 2013 3:10 pm

What the hell am I reading? Money over trophies? I never knew clubs gave fans some of the TV and sponsership money. They don't? Then GTFO with that stupid view. Has football fallen so low, that fans are willing to accept eternal mediocrity in the top league over immortalising your club in history with a cup win? No one remembers who finished 12th in the EPL in 10/11 season, but everyone remembers that Birmingham City won the Carling Cup that year.

I don't know, maybe I benefit from having a smaller club I support, Motherwell, along with Barcelona, has allowed me to experience both sides of the scale, so I appreciate cups more, though you shouldn't have to support a small team in order to take the cups seriously. To fans of smaller clubs, winning a cup is worth being relegated for. If it means we never come back up again, then so be it.

"In our hearts, regardless of what happens, we will always be there. Even if our team is reduced to having to play on the streets, then we will follow on from the pavements."
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue May 07, 2013 3:10 pm

What the hell am I reading? Money over trophies? I never knew clubs gave fans some of the TV and sponsership money. They don't? Then GTFO with that stupid view. Has football fallen so low, that fans are willing to accept eternal mediocrity in the top league over immortalising your club in history with a cup win? No one remembers who finished 12th in the EPL in 10/11 season, but everyone remembers that Birmingham City won the Carling Cup that year.

I don't know, maybe I benefit from having a smaller club I support, Motherwell, along with Barcelona, has allowed me to experience both sides of the scale, so I appreciate cups more, though you shouldn't have to support a small team in order to take the cups seriously. To fans of smaller clubs, winning a cup is worth being relegated for. If it means we never come back up again, then so be it.

"In our hearts, regardless of what happens, we will always be there. Even if our team is reduced to having to play on the streets, then we will follow on from the pavements."
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 07, 2013 3:11 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Btw Dave Whelan (Wigan's owner) answered a similar question:

"Survival in the Premier League remains the number one priority for this football club," he told The Evening Post.

"Winning the FA Cup would be amazing, but not if it comes at the expense of us losing our Premier League status."

Considering he's the owner its only natural he cares more about money than trophies.... hardly surprising.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

He's speaking as an owner though. Money is the first priority in those cases.

Anyway I think Wigan can do it. Proud
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Tue May 07, 2013 3:16 pm

What you guys are saying is that you are willing to accept years of playing in a second tier competition for a single cup win.

I would rather see my team fight it out with the big boys every weekend and lose rather than sit and watch them play in a lower league and recollect the glory year when the FA cup was won.

kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Well that's you, but I don't think someone who is an actual Wigan fan would agree.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Tue May 07, 2013 3:19 pm

How would you know what a Wigan fan wants? Razz But, maybe, you are right. But i am sure there are some Wigan fans/supporters that want the same thing as me.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:Btw Dave Whelan (Wigan's owner) answered a similar question:

Considering he's the owner its only natural he cares more about money than trophies.... hardly surprising.
Even if they prioritize the cup final they already have very slim chances vs a city that is motivated to win it. It would be wrong to prioritize that, as it's very likely they'll just end up with no cup and no premier league if that is the case.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next