REWB
Firenze
Swanhends
44 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship Empty You are a Wigan fan

Post by Swanhends Tue May 07, 2013 1:22 am

You can choose to either win the FA Cup, or survive the relegation battle. Which do you pick? Go :coffee:
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship Empty Re: Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship

Post by Firenze Tue May 07, 2013 1:29 am

Securing Premier League football is like a trophy :coffee:

Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship Empty Re: Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship

Post by REWB Tue May 07, 2013 1:31 am

win the fa cup, rap it up and call it a day. they have been in the pl for so long without improving as a club. winning the fa cup would improve the image of their club greatly.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue May 07, 2013 1:32 am

Nah league all day every day.

One moment of glory is not as good as the money and the prestige of playing in the prem.

Not even close for me.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Tue May 07, 2013 1:36 am

Would they get relegated if they win the FA cup?
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

https://www.youtube.com/user/juveman176

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue May 07, 2013 1:39 am

Getting demoted means having to sell all your best players and as a supporter I would hate that, not to mention the humiliation at it being brought up every time you face your rivals. I'd rather stay in the EPL.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 07, 2013 1:57 am

EPL all day err day

FA cup won't give them the money staying in the PL will.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 07, 2013 2:17 am

FWIW:

Wigan has won 3 trophies in their entire history, all mickey mouse cups

2 Football League Trophy's (Now the Johnstone's Paint Trophy) in 1985 and 1999
1 FA Trophy in 1973
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue May 07, 2013 2:23 am

Have to go with the league. From a purely monetary aspect. I'm not sure if Wigan would be able to get back up into the PL if they got relegated, to be honest. Especially if they lost Martinez and their best players.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Tue May 07, 2013 2:28 am

win the cup ALL DAY LONG !!

For a club like Wigan, that'd be the biggest thing they'll ever win !!

they are not progressing in PL, what's the point of surviving relegation when it'll be the same story again next year? eventually they'll go down.

FA Cup glory and that day out at Wembley will live forever, they can tell their kids about being there for Wigan's finest day in their history, beating Man City. Their name will go down in history of Wigan as the group of players who won it and the fans who saw it.

Cup success all day long. you can always go back to Prem after being relegated, but Wigan won't reach many more FA Cup finals in their life.

but then again, GL is filled with spoiled glory-hunters, so people will go after MONEYYYY option. I mean, I'd understand if you are the owner, but why would the fans pick TV money over FA Cup glory ?? the money doesn't go to them ffs.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Tue May 07, 2013 2:46 am

this is wigans best chance of winning something, this is a once in the life time opportunity. if wigan were progressives in the pl then id agree that staying in the epl is more important but that is not the case. wigan will NEVER be a top pl club because the city focuses primary on rugby, not football.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Tue May 07, 2013 2:54 am

REWB wrote:this is wigans best chance of winning something, this is a once in the life time opportunity. if wigan were progressives in the pl then id agree that staying in the epl is more important but that is not the case. wigan will NEVER be a top pl club because the city focuses primary on rugby, not football.

finally someone who hasn't been blinded by Wengerism Proud . unlike a certain mod :coffee:

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Tue May 07, 2013 3:21 am

I think they have to go with the league, they had an unlucky season plagued by injury. I don't think when healthy they are truly a relegation side. However, I think if they don't go down this season, they will go down next season after Martinez leaves for Everton :coffee:
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue May 07, 2013 3:56 am

Gotta be the cup.

An historic trophy the likes of which the club has never lifted or another season of struggling at the bottom of the PL pile, only to (hopefully) barely scrape by and most likely lose your best players come the next summer? Give the club it's proper moment in the sun and glory. Wigan managed to make it up once, who says they won't be able to do so again?
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by ioilersrock448 Tue May 07, 2013 4:10 am

FA Cup.

This time of season avoiding relegation will happen anyways for Wigan, they just cant go down its impossible. Only problem with this is, can Wigan beat City in the final?
ioilersrock448
ioilersrock448
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : FC Bayern

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue May 07, 2013 4:51 am

League for me. The money + the keeping the players means there is more chance of doing it again.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Tue May 07, 2013 5:00 am

Kick wrote:League for me. The money + the keeping the players means there is more chance of doing it again.

You're a wigan FAN. what does the money bring to you ?

plus, they lose their best player regardless of going down or not. it's happened each of the past 3 seasons with Valencia, NZogbia, and Moses.

and doing what again? a season of mediocrity and getting their asses spanked from August-April only to scrape in the end? what joy is it for the fan ?

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue May 07, 2013 5:03 am

Money brings better players than championship money will bring. If they got their act together they could improve and they'll have a better chance of that in the EPL than the championship.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Tue May 07, 2013 5:15 am

Kick wrote:Money brings better players than championship money will bring. If they got their act together they could improve and they'll have a better chance of that in the EPL than the championship.

but it's Wigan. they'll never be higher than mid-table.

even if they improve, they will never break into Europe through the league. they are a RUGBY town, that don't even sell our their stadium for the most important games. They have NEVER EVER won a single important trophy in their existence.

Prior to this coming saturday, the biggest game of their history was Carling Cup final 2006 vs United that they lost.

I think someone like Mole or NQDP would understand it how much joy winning trophies bring. The days history are made.

Hell, I was on a Reading forum and they were relishing Championship next year. Saying we'll be top dogs again, beating them, breading winning mentality, ENJOYING IT AS FANS, and come back up hopefully stronger.

I'd definitely take Liverpool being relegated for next season if it meant we'll win Carling Cup, FA Cup, and Europa League (if we get there through fair-play)....To me, these mid-table finishes are ZERO. I enjoyed last season A LOT more than this one, despite us scoring a lot more goals this season and being better in the league, because February 26, 2012 was one of the best nights of my life, and May 5th 2012 was one of the worst nights of my life.

The ups and downs of winning/losing a football match. that's what being football FAN is about.

not celebrating not being mediocre, or being less mediocre than last year.

but then again, maybe I am old school.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue May 07, 2013 5:16 am

So you're saying Wigan can't do a Swansea?
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue May 07, 2013 5:17 am

both
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Tue May 07, 2013 5:27 am

Kick wrote:So you're saying Wigan can't do a Swansea?

No. The culture of Wigan as a city is different. They are located in North west surrounded by Liverpool, Everton, Man United, and Man City. They are dominated and will never prosper that way. There is a ceiling to their growth.

Swansea were the first Welsh team ever in Prem.

Let's talk about Birgminham who was CC and was relegated. I am sure Aston Villa fans (local rivals) laughed their asses off.

2 years later.

Brum was in Championship play-offs last year, and this year they couldn't compete because of not finding an ideal replacement to Houghton. What have Villa done in those 2 years in Prem ?? struggled with relegation, for embarressed at times, and in no better situaion than they were 2 years ago.

in 20 years.....a Brum fan will show the clips of that day at Wembley to his kids, a rare triumph, something that happens once a decade or even more to his kids.

The villa fan will say, WE WERE IN DA PREM, but lost 8-0 7-1, 5-0, etc and barely escaped relegation. We won the "didn't get relegated trophy".

When you wikipedia Wigan...it doesn't say in their HONOURS as a club "17th place, 16th place , etc" ...it shows their silverwares. which they have none (of importance)...now this is a VERY VERY VERY RARE chance to make one.

I wish we had a Wigan fan here who would answer this.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Tue May 07, 2013 5:49 am

I don't think people here realize how prestigious the FA Cup is, especially for a club like Wigan. Winning it would mean everything to them.

The probability of winning the FA Cup for Premier League/Championship clubs is 1/64. Compare this to the promotion from Championship to Premier League: 2/24 = 1/12 (I'm not even considering the playoffs). In whatever way you look at it, winning the FA Cup makes much more sense.

Think of it this way, which season will be more fondly remembered? The season where Wigan escaped relegation or the season where they won their first major trophy?
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue May 07, 2013 7:40 am

A tough one. I feel for Wigan fans if they lose the final and get relegated.

But being in the Premier League is just a whole another world compared to the Championship. Again next season there's a new, improved TV deal bringing in even more money. If Wigan get relegated, they might not be back in the Premiership for a long, long, long time.

But I'll still answer winning the FA Cup, because this is Wigan we are talking about; They are probably bound to go down in the next five years anyway. They've escaped relegation so narrowly so many times now that one year their time will just be up, no matter what.

So if I were a Wigan fan I'd rather win the FA Cup and be happily supporting my club in the Championship.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 am

Survival, hands down...

I mean, the money difference between the first tier and second tier, is huge!!!
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next