Juveman17
Tomwin Lannister
REWB
Firenze
Swanhends
44 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship - Page 3 Empty Re: Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:Btw Dave Whelan (Wigan's owner) answered a similar question:

"Survival in the Premier League remains the number one priority for this football club," he told The Evening Post.

"Winning the FA Cup would be amazing, but not if it comes at the expense of us losing our Premier League status."

Considering he's the owner its only natural he cares more about money than trophies.... hardly surprising.
Even if they prioritize the cup final they already have very slim chances vs a city that is motivated to win it. It would be wrong to prioritize that, as it's very likely they'll just end up with no cup and no premier league if that is the case.

BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship - Page 3 Empty Re: Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship

Post by Zealous Tue May 07, 2013 3:26 pm

kiranr wrote:How would you know what a Wigan fan wants? Razz But, maybe, you are right. But i am sure there are some Wigan fans/supporters that want the same thing as me.

Do you know who you're talking to son? Razz

I'm the most hardcore Wiganista this forum will ever likely have. I've been to more Wigan games than all the forum members will ever likely go to combined and this weekend I'll be at Wembley supporting Wigan in an FA cup final FFS eco smile
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 07, 2013 3:27 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:Btw Dave Whelan (Wigan's owner) answered a similar question:

"Survival in the Premier League remains the number one priority for this football club," he told The Evening Post.

"Winning the FA Cup would be amazing, but not if it comes at the expense of us losing our Premier League status."

Considering he's the owner its only natural he cares more about money than trophies.... hardly surprising.
Even if they prioritize the cup final they already have very slim chances vs a city that is motivated to win it. It would be wrong to prioritize that, as it's very likely they'll just end up with no cup and no premier league if that is the case.

Wigan can beat City imo.

Unlikely it actually happens lol but I know for sure that they can.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Tue May 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Zealous wrote:
kiranr wrote:How would you know what a Wigan fan wants? Razz But, maybe, you are right. But i am sure there are some Wigan fans/supporters that want the same thing as me.

Do you know who you're talking to son? Razz

I'm the most hardcore Wiganista this forum will ever likely have. I've been to more Wigan games than all the forum members will ever likely go to combined and this weekend I'll be at Wembley supporting Wigan in an FA cup final FFS eco smile

Come off it! You are going to support your cousins from Dubai :coffee:
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue May 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Zealous the true Al-Habsista Proud
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 07, 2013 3:30 pm

kiranr wrote:What you guys are saying is that you are willing to accept years of playing in a second tier competition for a single cup win.

I would rather see my team fight it out with the big boys every weekend and lose rather than sit and watch them play in a lower league and recollect the glory year when the FA cup was won.

To you its "a single cup win"

To them its their first major trophy in history
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 pm

You mean Abu Dhabi and no I'm not going to be with the City fans. I'm going to be behind the Wigan goal ffs.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 07, 2013 3:33 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Zealous the true Al-Habsista Proud

It was like that at first but I've come to love Wigan for real now Proud
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Tue May 07, 2013 3:35 pm

Swanhends wrote:
kiranr wrote:What you guys are saying is that you are willing to accept years of playing in a second tier competition for a single cup win.

I would rather see my team fight it out with the big boys every weekend and lose rather than sit and watch them play in a lower league and recollect the glory year when the FA cup was won.

Possible. I cannot have the same perspective as Wigan fan, so my arguments may not actually be relevant.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Tue May 07, 2013 3:36 pm

Zealous wrote:You mean Abu Dhabi and no I'm not going to be with the City fans. I'm going to be behind the Wigan goal ffs.

Dat jinx attempt by supporting Wigan :bow:

Okay, i am just joking around. No one's doubting your Wigan love bro Very Happy
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 07, 2013 3:37 pm

Swanhends wrote:

Exactly.... speaking from a personal point of view.

We haven't won a FA Cup since 1955, a League since 1927 and a ( what is now called the Europa League) since 1969.

I would take a FA Cup and a relegation all day every day.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue May 07, 2013 4:14 pm

I'd choose the cup.

Honestly, I've swayed to both sides of the argument during our trophyless period. Money and stability is important for growth as a club, but at the end of the day, we, as fans, don't celebrate prize money, but trophies and other accomplishments for the club. Nowadays, I'm an advocate for the COC and FA Cup and wish we actually tried to win one of those.

Wigan have shown little signs of significant growth in the eight years they've been in the Premier League. They aren't a club on the up and if I were a fan of them, I'd probably think that their isn't much to look forward to in the future and wouldn't enjoy the prospect of another season of struggle and last-minute survival. Fans do enjoy their club being in the big-time, but they also enjoy winning.

The FA Cup would be a great memory for Wigan fans and a great accomplishment for the club itself.

In any case, who's to say that Wigan won't just come straight back up? They'd be one of the richer and bigger Championship clubs and would certainly be able to attract the players required for them to gain promotion. It's not like they'd have a massive clear out, either. They'd probably lose McCarthy, Maloney and Kone but they can replace them, just like how they replaced key players in the past.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship - Page 3 Empty The " My Heart is about to explode for 90 mins" thread

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship - Page 3 O8glf5

affraid
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Probably the first time in a long long(or ever) time that 40 points doesn't seem safe enough
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue May 07, 2013 5:01 pm

Hopefully NUFC can beat QPR away, they just lost against Arsenal at home, so yeah..
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 07, 2013 5:04 pm

El Shaarawy wrote:Hopefully NUFC can beat QPR away, they just lost against Arsenal at home, so yeah..

That's what i got down on my predictor.... win to QPR and lose to Arsenal.

Even so though..... 3 teams with the same goal difference and points and 7 teams on the same points lmao.

Going through it as well, most of the results are realistic ones.

Just crazy if it turns out to be anything like this, i'll probably end up with a cardiac arrest at some point.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue May 07, 2013 5:05 pm

El Shaarawy wrote:Hopefully NUFC can beat QPR away, they just lost against Arsenal at home, so yeah..

I hope so too, they owe it to Mole. Proud

I think Norwich will go down but that goal difference is killing Newcastle. Sad

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Tue May 07, 2013 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue May 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Mole giving LFC six points from the last two games.

Mole Proud
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Jonathan28 wrote:What the hell am I reading? Money over trophies? I never knew clubs gave fans some of the TV and sponsership money. They don't? Then GTFO with that stupid view. Has football fallen so low, that fans are willing to accept eternal mediocrity in the top league over immortalising your club in history with a cup win? No one remembers who finished 12th in the EPL in 10/11 season, but everyone remembers that Birmingham City won the Carling Cup that year.

I don't know, maybe I benefit from having a smaller club I support, Motherwell, along with Barcelona, has allowed me to experience both sides of the scale, so I appreciate cups more, though you shouldn't have to support a small team in order to take the cups seriously. To fans of smaller clubs, winning a cup is worth being relegated for. If it means we never come back up again, then so be it.

"In our hearts, regardless of what happens, we will always be there. Even if our team is reduced to having to play on the streets, then we will follow on from the pavements."
I don't know, but as a fan I'd rather my team play in the most prestigious league in the world, than playing in a crappy Championship, or worse drop down even further and playing League 1 or League 2 football.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by timzink Tue May 07, 2013 6:42 pm

I dont understand what the problem is in taking pride in your clubs financial position, if as an individual fan thats what you take pride in, whose business is it for other people to tell you that trophies are better ? Sure, as a fan you dont get any of the money, but as a fan, you are attracted to all facets of a club, history, trophies, etc, and surely financial muscle should be considered as a valid reason too . I honestly dont see what the problem is . And in any case local clubs do impact on communities in other ways like sponsering local charities, starting fitness initiatives, hell, Arsenal opened a pitch in Jordan for refugees this week, and all this costs money . In my opinion, I would rather be part of a club that though is trophyless helps alot of good causes, than one with lots of trophiies that doesnt have as much of an impact on the local community .

However, as a fan, I would prefer to win the cup as in anycase, relegation doesnt mean an instant descent into obscurity, and theres every chance that they would come back up . And in any case, as fan, what you will see on the pitch even if they got relegated, would still be football, just football matches where there is greater chance for a win, and with different teams than what you were used to playing .
timzink
timzink
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Tue May 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Goodbye Wigan, have fun in Championship - Page 3 7EktgXV
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue May 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Get the cup.

Its the only thing as a fan I'd get to celebrate. Staying in the league where they don't progress and barely hang on doesn't mean much. It might even be good to go down, at least the fans might get a chance to see their team win or compete each weak instead of loosing all the time
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Tue May 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Hope Stokes goes down
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue May 07, 2013 9:12 pm

So is this the "relegation and top-4" thread now?

Anyway, Wigan letting their 2 - 1 lead slip with a conceded goal you shouldn't see anywhere in the football league of England. If you leak in goals like that at home against a rather weak lost-all-interest Swansea side, you prolly deserve to get relegated after all.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Yea, what thread is this anyways ?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue May 07, 2013 9:32 pm

timzink wrote:I dont understand what the problem is in taking pride in your clubs financial position, if as an individual fan thats what you take pride in, whose business is it for other people to tell you that trophies are better ? Sure, as a fan you dont get any of the money, but as a fan, you are attracted to all facets of a club, history, trophies, etc, and surely financial muscle should be considered as a valid reason too . I honestly dont see what the problem is .

yea... i bet in 20 years nobody will remember bayern's dominance, barcelona's excellent team or man utd bulldozing the domestic league, but arsenal's fiscal responsibility will be the stuff of legend

"sit down little timmy, i'm going to tell you the tale of the great 2013/14 season of a pretax profit of 18.7 million pounds and a 23% payroll decrease"

football clubs exist to win trophies, or at least attempt to do so, and when you're a small club small trophies are all you can aspire to

In my opinion, I would rather be part of a club that though is trophyless helps alot of good causes, than one with lots of trophiies that doesnt have as much of an impact on the local community .

again, you seem to not understand the purpose of sports teams... it's to win, if you support charitable intentions over trophy runs go buy a red cross jersey
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum