FalcaoPunch
Onyx
BarcaLearning
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Modric - Song and Modric Empty Song and Modric

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:07 am

I may be outdated compared with many here, but I just read this great article, another good one ZM, I thought its very interesting and would like to see what everyone thinks:

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/08/30/modric-and-song-arrivals-indicate-barcelona-and-real-are-thinking-about-each-others-style/

For Modric, I think he is really talented and Mou trusted a lot in him and like he does to many of his players he trusts, gives him chance and again and probably thought he could solve Real's main problem which is relying too much on Alonso/Khedira/Ozil, and thought Modric can control better. I think him starting vs Dortmund says it all. It didnt work out in the end but the effort is for all to see.

What do u think about next season, Mou is leaving, and Alonso dependency will probably be lessened with Modric becoming a bigger influence in the team? What do u think should be his best role? A direct replacement for Alonso? Or just like now, depending and being flexible?

For Song, I think he is getting a lot of unfair criticism like a lot of Barca players. For me hes been very very good throughout the season, but unfortunately hes virtually never given a starts chance in the big games, but in the league and vs easier oppositions, hes usually bossed the games. Not perfect, but I think if used right he can really add a lot to the team. He has so much quality and able to play different roles. I am a big fan of Yaya and also think Keita deserved more credit, I think Song could really be that player too. I seen him in CB and done well so was surprised he didnt get a mention at all vs Bayern and Bartra was used. Talks of selling him is not right imo, and I hope he features more next season, although which role exactly Im not sure Razz

What do u think?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Modric - Song and Modric Empty Re: Song and Modric

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 am

Modric could take Alonso's spot and play alongside a pure DM. That would be his best position.

Even if we signed Gundogan, Verratti etc, they'd have to play alongside a pure DM as well instead of Khedira.

There aren't many DLP's like Alonso nowadays. Hopefully we change our system anyway.

In terms of Song, I think he's done adequately as a rotation player. Not sure why he's being named a flop. It's not like he was going to start anyway.

Not starting a game doesn't mean a player is a flop.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:14 am

I never wanted Modric here in the first place but over time with his performances I'm hoping he's one of the few who stay with us.

He can be a huge asset for us if used properly .
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Real Kandahar Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:21 am

modric is so mobile, dynamic, and amazing dribbler and his work rate is amazing!

he is rich man's toni kroos.. and he will stay
Real Kandahar
Real Kandahar
Banned (Temporary)

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Berbatov Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:29 am

Real Kandahar wrote:modric is so mobile, dynamic, and amazing dribbler and his work rate is amazing!

By "rich" you're referring to price, not quality, right?
Berbatov
Berbatov
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Real Betis

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:32 am

Modric is never going to be the player Madrid fans want him to be.

One day it will be realised, until then i will giggle to myself quietly in a corner.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:38 am

Song is quality. It's a travesty if he stays rotting at Barca.

paddy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:48 am

paddy power :bow:
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:52 am

55 million in total Laughing

they are both average imo

Last edited by REWB on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:58 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Modric is never going to be the player Madrid fans want him to be.

One day it will be realised, until then i will giggle to myself quietly in a corner.

Why though Mole? In Mou's system it wouldnt work? And if Mou leaves and another manager comes in who knows.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:10 am

Real Kandahar wrote:modric is so mobile, dynamic, and amazing dribbler and his work rate is amazing!

Berbatov wrote:

By "rich" you're referring to price, not quality, right?

Sign that
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:05 pm

BarcaLearning wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Modric is never going to be the player Madrid fans want him to be.

Why though Mole? In Mou's system it wouldnt work? And if Mou leaves and another manager comes in who knows.

Nothing to do with the system.... Modric is talented but lacks the mentality needed to perform when it matters.

Not to mention his defensively ability is inept at best and lacks the vision to be affective offensively.

His biggest asset is his mobility but at this level mobility isn't enough oh and the fact he's aesthetically pleasing obviously confuses the brain because he doesn't actually do anything which helps the team from a playmaking or offensive standpoint.

This isn't new, Modric has been like this ever since he came on the scene.

I challenge anyone to name a top midfield he's bossed in his career in England or Spain.... here's a clue you won't find one because it never happened.

Modric will never replace Alonso and not once has come close to reach his level.

It was an idiotic signing with no clear vision with what to do with him.

He can't do what Ozil can do, he can't do what Khedira can do, he can't do what Alonso can.... so what's the point.

Thing is everyone wanked over Modric at Spurs but in reality he wasn't even their most important player.... Lennon, Bale and VDV all trumped him with ease.

I have been saying this about Modric for over 2 years now and nothing has changed and if their new manager has any sense they will sell him for someone who actually makes sense for the fabric of Madrid's team.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:07 pm

Modric has had one worthy performance since joining Madrid... against a 10-man Man U. He has yet to show anything against a 11-man team.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Quite a fortuitous situation for Tottenham if you think about it no?

They had Redknapp whose system allowed Modric to shine v smaller teams, thus hype him beyond the stratosphere to the more elite clubs resulting in ludicrous price tags appointed to the Croatian. It was funny considering Bale, Van der Vaart were far more important to the system whether tangible or not and performed when it mattered.

Now we have Tottenham with a Manager who is so far ahead of Redknapp in every possible way in any aspect, and a very talented Belgian, Dembele who frankly I'd take over Modric with my eyes shut. Not hindsight, but foresight over the quality between players.

If Tottenham get Moutinho then the debate ends as the latter is far and away the best player between the three.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:02 pm

I agree with Mole. He's not a bad player as such but he was astoundingly overpriced and there's no real need for him at Madrid. He just isn't capable of what Ozil can do on a regular basis and nowhere near as defensive enough to be in the 2 man mid. It's not like he can effectively play as a DLP either.

At the end of the day the only way to fit him to his strengths would be to move of bench Ozil. And that's not going to happen.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:05 pm

If CA goes to Madrid, Modric is basically Verratti....
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:05 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
BarcaLearning wrote:

Nothing to do with the system.... Modric is talented but lacks the mentality needed to perform when it matters.

Not to mention his defensively ability is inept at best and lacks the vision to be affective offensively.

His biggest asset is his mobility but at this level mobility isn't enough oh and the fact he's aesthetically pleasing obviously confuses the brain because he doesn't actually do anything which helps the team from a playmaking or offensive standpoint.

This isn't new, Modric has been like this ever since he came on the scene.

I challenge anyone to name a top midfield he's bossed in his career in England or Spain.... here's a clue you won't find one because it never happened.

Modric will never replace Alonso and not once has come close to reach his level.

It was an idiotic signing with no clear vision with what to do with him.

He can't do what Ozil can do, he can't do what Khedira can do, he can't do what Alonso can.... so what's the point.

Thing is everyone wanked over Modric at Spurs but in reality he wasn't even their most important player.... Lennon, Bale and VDV all trumped him with ease.

I have been saying this about Modric for over 2 years now and nothing has changed and if their new manager has any sense they will sell him for someone who actually makes sense for the fabric of Madrid's team.

Modric doesn't lack vision to be effective offensively.

Modric can't do what Alonso/Khedira do, but they can't do what Modric can do. We need to change our system anyway.

We've needed a CM ever since Mourinho came. We lacked a quick and agile midfielder since Alonso and Khedira are slow. There were times when we thought 'we could do with a CM playmaker here' in certain games.

I know changing system would mean all of that is irrelevant, however I'm sure Modric would be able to succeed in a different system. We don't need to replace Alonso. We can just play a different system.

The way Alonso's being regarded, it feels as if he's the best midfielder ever, when he's not.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:07 pm

AbraKebabra Alacalamb wrote:I agree with Mole. He's not a bad player as such but he was astoundingly overpriced and there's no real need for him at Madrid. He just isn't capable of what Ozil can do on a regular basis and nowhere near as defensive enough to be in the 2 man mid. It's not like he can effectively play as a DLP either.

At the end of the day the only way to fit him to his strengths would be to move of bench Ozil. And that's not going to happen.

Nowadays most players are overpriced. He's probably worth 25m normally, but we paid like 7m extra.

He can play in a 4-2-3-1 as one of the '2' alongside a pure DM. Similar to Gundogan.

Both the '2' don't have to be defensive experts.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Of course they don't need to be. But if they're useless at defending normally they have to be a calm and complete passer. If I was coaching a rival team, and I seen Modric in the midfield 2 next to somebody who's not great at defending either, I would be identifying it as a weak spot.

Madrid would need a better 'Pure' DM. And there's plenty of players who can play holding mid better than Modric. Who was never worth over 15M imo.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Yeh, even if we wanted Gundogan or Verratti, we'd need a pure DM. Playmakers don't really have to be good defensively.

Why wouldn't Modric be worth more than 15m? Spurs signed him for 15.8m from Dinamo Zagreb.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:55 pm

As has been previously pointed out, he's essentially done nothing in big games. Granted he got that goal Vs Man United but they were down to 10 men and flopping all around the place.

I wouldn't pay more than 15M for an attack minded player who can't influence big games. It doesn't matter what Tottenham paid for him.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Yeh, even if we wanted Gundogan or Verratti, we'd need a pure DM. Playmakers don't really have to be good defensively.

Why wouldn't Modric be worth more than 15m? Spurs signed him for 15.8m from Dinamo Zagreb.

:facepalm:

How many pure DMs play in football. Sit down and count on your hand how many DMs there are that are playing top flight football :facepalm:

jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:01 pm

I can't really remember Spurs' big games since 2008, so can't remember if Modric influenced big games or not.

However if he didn't, then there could be a lot of factors involved that didn't allow him to influence big games.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:I can't really remember Spurs' big games since 2008, so can't remember if Modric influenced big games or not.

However if he didn't, then there could be a lot of factors involved that didn't allow him to influence big games.

Yeah, for example Modric being a big game flop banana
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:04 pm

I think it's pretty clear that MT would do anything to deny that Modric isnt as good as he hoped. Sorry if you hoped him to be our xavi, he is simply not that good, it's a sad thing to realize but it's the truth, he is not 22 and wont get magically better.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next