FalcaoPunch
Onyx
BarcaLearning
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Modric - Song and Modric - Page 2 Empty Re: Song and Modric

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:04 pm

I think it's pretty clear that MT would do anything to deny that Modric isnt as good as he hoped. Sorry if you hoped him to be our xavi, he is simply not that good, it's a sad thing to realize but it's the truth, he is not 22 and wont get magically better.

Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:07 pm

True he is a Modric fan Laughing

He's not a bad player, but he's just not influencial and really has no purpose in Madrids starting XI.

This was just the case of Mou being Mou and stacking his squad with a hyped up player.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:07 pm

jibercus wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:Yeh, even if we wanted Gundogan or Verratti, we'd need a pure DM. Playmakers don't really have to be good defensively.

Why wouldn't Modric be worth more than 15m? Spurs signed him for 15.8m from Dinamo Zagreb.

:facepalm:

How many pure DMs play in football. Sit down and count on your hand how many DMs there are that are playing top flight football :facepalm:

Bender, Martinez can play as a pure DM, Busquets, Sandro, Mikel, Gonalons? Lars Bender, Capoue, Matic? Toulalan, Fernando, Luiz Gustavo, Javi Garcia, Lucas, Medel? Motta, de Jong. I assume all of those can play pure DM.

I'm sure there's more. I don't really think pure DM's are a dying breed.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:I think it's pretty clear that MT would do anything to deny that Modric isnt as good as he hoped. Sorry if you hoped him to be our xavi, he is simply not that good, it's a sad thing to realize but it's the truth, he is not 22 and wont get magically better.

He's done alright this season whenever he's played. He had a bad game vs Dortmund, but then again most of the players did.

I'd like to see how he does when he's a starter playing his preferred position.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:12 pm

AbraKebabra Alacalamb wrote:True he is a Modric fan Laughing

He's not a bad player, but he's just not influencial and really has no purpose in Madrids starting XI.

This was just the case of Mou being Mou and stacking his squad with a hyped up player.

I don't really think it was a matter of stacking. We've needed a CM ever since Mourinho joined. Obviously we tried Sahin first, but he left and we got Modric. Who I think was a better suited player due to him being more agile (Khedira/Alonso being slow as well) and the ability to be a B2B playmaker.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:13 pm

Now that I think of it, I believe it would've made more sense had Modric joined Barca and Song Madrid. hmm

Song is a proper box-to-box midfielder who would've really shone alongside Xabi/Khedira and would've fit in Madrid's system perfectly while Modric is more in the Iniesta mould. If I remember correctly, Mourinho never wanted Modric in the first place (?) and was signed just for the sake of it.

Last edited by ExtremistEnigma on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:
jibercus wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:Yeh, even if we wanted Gundogan or Verratti, we'd need a pure DM. Playmakers don't really have to be good defensively.

Why wouldn't Modric be worth more than 15m? Spurs signed him for 15.8m from Dinamo Zagreb.

How many pure DMs play in football. Sit down and count on your hand how many DMs there are that are playing top flight football :facepalm:

Bender, Martinez can play as a pure DM, Busquets, Sandro, Mikel, Gonalons? Lars Bender, Capoue, Matic? Toulalan, Fernando, Luiz Gustavo, Javi Garcia, Lucas, Medel? Motta, de Jong. I assume all of those can play pure DM.

Well I'm not going to even dignify this post with a response. Foe's list will be utilised.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:16 pm

rofl Jibercus

And if Mou thought Modric was the solution to his midfield then I deserve his job more than he does.

Might as well make me Manager of Juventus and spend 40M on a new Goalkeeper.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:17 pm

ExtremistEnigma wrote:Now that I think of it, I believe it would've made more sense had Modric joined Barca and Song Madrid. hmm

Song is a proper box-to-box midfielder who would've really shone alongside Xabi/Khedira and would've fit in Madrid's system perfectly while Modric is more in the Iniesta mould. If I remember correctly, Mourinho never wanted Modric in the first place (?) and was signed just for the sake of it.

you are wrong. Madrid told Mou that Spurs asked too much money for a player that they didnt think was worth it. as a response, they talked to Malaga about Cazorla and Malaga even proposed Cazorla and Isco to us for less than 40 millions. Mourinho said no to Cazorla, he wanted Modric at all costs, just like Coentrao the summer before.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:18 pm

AbraKebabra Alacalamb wrote:rofl Jibercus

And if Mou thought Modric was the solution to his midfield then I deserve his job more than he does.

Might as well make me Manager of Juventus and spend 40M on a new Goalkeeper.

Well Modric certainly fits the attributes our midfield lacked.

Also he cost 33m. I think Modric is a bit underrated.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:20 pm

jibercus wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:
jibercus wrote:

Well I'm not going to even dignify this post with a response. Foe's list will be utilised.

I've watched them all play, however I don't watch all of them every game to know how they're all getting on. Which is why I assume they're pure DM's.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Oh okay, my bad.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Nah not underrated. Like I've said he's not a BAD player, but 33M and going to Madrid? Naah.

He doesn't have the attributes your Midfield lacked, he's best played further up the pitch and Ozil is much better than he is at almost everything.

He's too physically limited to be sitting back and doesn't have some sort of Vidal type player to cover up for him.

Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Based on how we played under Mourinho, a lot of people agreed in 2011 we needed a CM, Alonso/Khedira were too slow etc etc.

Modric isn't an AM, he's a CM.

Physically limited as in not strong enough etc? In terms of someone backing him up, I agree. He needs a pure DM next to/behind him.

I'm sure a lot of playmakers need someone protecting them. Alonso's kinda good defensively, so it's alright for him to have a B2B like Khedira alongside him. However I doubt there are many DLP's like Alonso nowadays who would be able to play without a DM.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:29 pm

MT, how many teams are successful nowadays playing with a midget like Modric in the double pivot?
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:30 pm

There you go then. Modric was never the solution because Madrid would either play him over Ozil (Which is stupid) or play him in the Midfield '2' which would require them to bring in a more defensive minded player. Therefore he was never a viable solution to Madrids problem.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:
jibercus wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:

I've watched them all play, however I don't watch all of them every game to know how they're all getting on. Which is why I assume they're pure DM's.

Modric - Song and Modric - Page 2 Nba_wtf_gif

Last edited by jibercus on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:MT, how many teams are successful nowadays playing with a midget like Modric in the double pivot?

Would it be a problem defensively or attacking wise? If it's attacking wise it's not much of a difference to a 4-3-3. One of the CM's usually goes a bit advanced anyway.

Only reason I'm suggesting a double pivot is because Ozil dropping deeper to make it a 4-3-3 I guess doesn't make sense to a lot of people. It's what I would prefer though.

AbraKebabra Alacalamb wrote:There you go then. Modric was never the solution because Madrid would either play him over Ozil (Which is stupid) or play him in the Midfield '2' which would require them to bring in a more defensive minded player. Therefore he was never a viable solution to Madrids problem.

It would have been possible for him to start ahead of Di Maria in a 3 man midfield. Also to eventually take Alonso/Khedira's spot.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Yeah but you're not getting it. For him to take over from either Khedira or Alonso he would need a very defensive, physical midfield partner to pick up his defensive slack. Madrid would then have to buy another player to perform that role.

And would you really want Modric playing in Di Maria's role?
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:MT, how many teams are successful nowadays playing with a midget like Modric in the double pivot?

Would it be a problem defensively or attacking wise? If it's attacking wise it's not much of a difference to a 4-3-3. One of the CM's usually goes a bit advanced anyway.

Only reason I'm suggesting a double pivot is because Ozil dropping deeper to make it a 4-3-3 I guess doesn't make sense to a lot of people. It's what I would prefer though.

yeah that's what i thought...
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:48 pm

You're in a bad mood Nick lol.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:49 pm

jibercus wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:
jibercus wrote:

Modric - Song and Modric - Page 2 Nba_wtf_gif

I don't watch them closely enough, however when I have/do watch them, they are DM's. I guess that sounds a bit better.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:51 pm

AbraKebabra Alacalamb wrote:Yeah but you're not getting it. For him to take over from either Khedira or Alonso he would need a very defensive, physical midfield partner to pick up his defensive slack. Madrid would then have to buy another player to perform that role.

And would you really want Modric playing in Di Maria's role?

Yeh but I'm sure we'd have to buy a pure DM to play alongside Gundogan, Verratti or whoever else we're looking to replace Alonso with.

Modric would play in a 3 man midfield, not at RW in Di Maria's role.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Gundogan is much better defensively than Modric, he's more physical. You wouldn't need to bring in a heavily defensive minded midfielder.

At the end of the day if you replace Alonso/Khedira with Modric right now, teams will exploit your midfield.

He was a bad signing whichever way you look at it. He's too expensive to be nothing but a sub, and he doesn't have the qualities by himself to improve the starting XI.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Its not even about physique Tom.... Gundogan is just better defensively....

Its about positioning and intelligence not strength and power.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:02 pm

I know that but his physique is also a negative. Get close enough to him and you're not going to have a hard time brushing him aside. Compare him to somebody like Pogba who has used his size & strength plenty of times to his advantage in the middle of the park.

And i'm not saying Pogba is as good as Modric yet. Just pointing out that considering Madrid don't have a heavily defensive Midfielder, Modric's small stature doesn't help him.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next