Should Arsene Wenger leave the managerial role?

+7
AnJl
Highburied
urbaNRoots
Raptorgunner
Jay29
MJ
Zuhum Omar
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should Arsene Wenger leave the managerial role?  Empty Should Arsene Wenger leave the managerial role?

Post by Zuhum Omar Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Well, there's been a lot of talk on what's wrong with Arsenal this season and last. Every pundit thinks they got it right and they can come to our club and give us the solution to get back to our glory days. I want to know what our own fans think. The fans on Facebook don't seem to know much about Football in general, let alone our current state of affairs at Arsenal Football Club. So, who thinks Wenger should be cut loose, why and why not?

Zuhum Omar
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Should Arsene Wenger leave the managerial role?  Empty Re: Should Arsene Wenger leave the managerial role?

Post by MJ Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:56 pm

Welcome Zuhum cheers

We've got an entire thread with a poll dedicated to this very question that was created last season:

http://www.goallegacy.net/t17270-the-definitive-wenger-poll?highlight=wenger

But getting fresh perspective on it following the Blackburn loss makes sense even though I don't think he was at all at fault for the defeat. It's a bit tough to call with the season still rolling even though our standings in all competition speak for themselves. We'll see on Tuesday though, if we have any hope of maintaining 'big club' status. I'll wait till then to chip in my two cents.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Should Arsene Wenger leave the managerial role?  Empty Re: Should Arsene Wenger leave the managerial role?

Post by Jay29 Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:26 am

It's hard to give a definite answer either way. When you examine the club's progress in the last few seasons, you get the impression that Wenger's taken Arsenal as far as he can. At the same time, when you examine the club's progress in the context of it's own resources and the resources of its rivals, you realise that he has, to a large degree, done a really good job.

Part of me likes to think that if he gets the team into the top four again, he should be given the summer to improve things, but then another part of me asks the pertinent question: "where do we draw the line?" He's had chances before to improve the squad and didn't take them. How many more chances do you give him?

Then you get the nagging doubts about the board; whether they can be trusted to get a good enough replacement, and whether they're as focused on on-field success as much as they lead us to believe they are.

Right now, I'm of the opinion that some fresh ideas is needed, regardless of where we end up at the end of the season.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:34 am

Welcome Zuhum, long time lurker? you see we dont bite. :whistle:

I agree with everything Jay said.

Telegraph is claiming that Wenger is only looking to buy the Toulouse midfielder Etienne Capoue to be the main holding midfielder next season, with just a possibility of bringing in another young striker if any of the current ones fail to make the grade.

Is this good enough?
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:42 am

Wenger held 45-minute crisis talks in a bid to salvage Arsenal's season

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2280245/Arsene-Wenger-held-crisis-talks-Arsenal-team-ahead-Champions-League-clash-Bayern-Munich.html#ixzz2LCsUynRF

Wenger is under no pressure from the club’s hierarchy.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 am

Unless Arsene manages this team to win the Champions League (yeah I know...) I want a change, someone who's young, has fresh ideas and prepares the team before big games.

This won't happen before 2014 though, so we might aswell stick with Arsene and support him while he's still here.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:16 am

With or without Wenger, something should be done this summer.

Look at Juventus. From Serie B to Champions of Serie A.

This means, even if we dont make the top four, ita never too late to shake the squad .

Every sensible Arsenal fan knows that winning a trophy is hard but NOT trying to win it is PAINFUL.

I would never question Wenger and the Board if they actually tried a bit harder but the didnt ffs!

This is my opinion.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by AnJl Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:42 pm

To me, it seems as clear as day.

Regardless of the teams position this season, Wenger should be allowed to invest in whoever he wants or rather, be allowed to do whatever the hell he wants.

But the catch is this.

If the position of the club is not top notch (forget satisfactory) and the FANS of the club are not happy with the position/progress of the club by the January window, Wenger packs his bags and leaves.

The reason behind this is simple:

This is Arsene Wenger we are talking about. The man who has taken this club to standards with a philosophy, etiquette and a budget that would have drove many managers to the point of insanity.

I know this season hasnt been great and I have a feeling Wenger is more hurt than all of us. I think he has gotten a big slap on his face, but doesnt want to show it to the public.

On that and many other factors, I would keep Wenger, or rather, allow him ONE. LAST. CHANCE.

No matter what he does this summer, if we arent where a club of Arsenal's stature, culture and heritage is suppose to be by January, he should leave his post.

Now.

How comes in?

Ohhh...... that is an ENTIRELY different matter.
AnJl
AnJl
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by boyzis Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:12 pm

i have been watching arsenal reguarly for almost 12 years now. Lots of things have changed since that time.

a) Game plan, Strategy wise
b) Talent Quality Wise
C) Influence of Money
d) Media Presence
d) THE MOST IMPORTANT- MENTALITY, CLUB PHILOSOPHY
e) Medical Technq
f) Training Methods

Wenger has gone past his prime. The likes of RDM have got the best out of their squad based on managerial traits.

a) Game plan Startegy Wise= ARSENAL HAVE NO PLAN "B". There is only one team in world which can play like barcelona and its only barcelona. we are not like them in any manner nor do we have players like them. Yes, we copy them but what do we do when the other team is parking the bus ? For some time we had quality players but selling them have cost us alot. Now everylower league managers knows to beat arsenal park the bus and hit on counter. If they are lucky they win. Baracelona have a better acadmy yet they sign established players like alexis sanchez, fabregas. There is a huge huge difference in quality btw giroud, podolski etc. Barca have a same core of players arsenal change them every season. Either make ur team so strong that parking the bus does not work or just wait for a miracle. this is modern day football. IMO now arsenal doesnot have time to allow players to settle and develop. Its time to bring in developed players and winners. Instead of Giroud get benzema. Model arsenal were following would only have worked if the team had a core of seasoned players like man united does. Arsenal gambled on selling their stars and getting less known players. this was the reason arsene failed. More emphasis was placed on getting potentional players and reducing stadium debt instead of keeping those proffesional with us.

b) Talent quality wise= I dont have much to say here. just look at swansea the potentional players they have. Michu, Tarabat, Benteke, Diame, Fellani etc etc. All of these players will get better and their teams have benefited from them alot. Arsenal have talent to match them but we dont need to match these lower teams. Our goal should be trophies and for that we need better quality. The quality arsene previosuly got was sufficient for his goals. Now other teams have scouts everywhere and its more difficult to get better players.

c) Money= Motiviation of today is money and arsene hates to loose other peoples money.

d) Media Presence= Can be a blessing and nightmare. Media potrays arsenal in a manner completely different from the past. Its because arsene is not keeping up with it.

e) Mentality= IN the past it was to challenge for the trophies now its to challenge for top 4.

Same mistakes arsenal have made again and again. yet they dont fix them.

The most stupid thing i am seeing these days is arsene starting a side based on names rather than form

The ability of his team is questionable when seen with regards to other top 7 sides in EPL.

All of the factors have contributed to my final decision which is " to give him one more season, regardless where we finish this season. The team he is trying to make ramsey,wilshere, walcot, gibs jenkinson. Might just grow up next season and the times to come. "

If he sells any one next season from the current players we have. Fck Him. Let him go.

boyzis
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:27 pm

@boyzis

Your Talent Wise sentence has some errors buddy?
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:28 pm

Blehh, posted in the wrong thread Embarassed

Anyway, I love Arsene, but if we don't finish in the top 4, I think he should step down. I don't know who the hell I'd replace him with, but really we had this same discussion about giving him one last season last year and it hasn't turned out too well so how many chances can you give him? I would love to see him take us back to the glory days even if we don't finish top 4 this year, but I don't know if he would make any groundbreaking changes if we did give him another try. Of course, if he leaves, a lot of players will get unsettled. We would have to make a huge move to fill his shoes properly.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zuhum Omar Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:49 pm

To those who welcomed me to this website, thank you. It was recommended by Planet Arsenal on Facebook and we had some interesting discussions on Arsenal in general.

Um, the question I asked is a really sensitive one. I am a Wenger fan myself. I have never seen Arsenal win a trophy by the way. Started supporting this team back in 2006 when I watched them lose to Barcelona in the Champions League. Even though they lost, I somehow got attached.

Anyway, on the topic of the matter, it's really hard to say....I mean, I guess I can give Wenger this summer as a last chance to do something. But, it's more of a pity chance. For all he's done for Arsenal, at the end of the day he will always be an Arsenal man.

However, I don't think the problem is only in the way he doesn't like to spend money. A lot of it has to do with the way he plans things in general.
One thing would be the motivation of his players for matches against "weaker" teams. Even Wenger and Vermaelen spoke today I think, about how the team must have under-estimated Blackburn, but this isn't the first time the team has under-estimated "weaker" teams. And it's cost us. That must be down to the manager.

Also, I have a problem with his man-management. I mean, you see Mourinho bench Casillas when he's not performing to his standard, and in big matches too. When Vermaelen or Szcesny, or any other "big player" at Arsenal start under-performing, you RARELY see him make a statement by benching that player.

I have a problem with his tactical denial when it comes to defending. Our players seem to lack basic footballing knowledge. Whether it be in defending or attacking, we just lack this sense of professionalism. That's entirely down to the manager in my opinion.

His management of the wage system is ridiculous. We have so much dead-weight in our squad and they get paid very flattering amounts of money. That money can be (could've been) used to keep our best players. Except for Cesc Fabregas, Van Persie, Nasri, Song, and a few more quality players would have still been with us and our team would be much stronger. But no, instead, you have players like Chamakh, Squillacci, Arshavin, Park Chu-Yung and so on be absolutely inefficient and taking up space which could be used to improve our squad. But no, we're still with them....and we're paying the price when matches don't go our way and we look to the bench and see players and think to ourselves, "shit." That's also the manager's fault.

He had the chance to improve last summer, and although he showed positive signs by signing Poldi, Santi and Giroud, I never felt that was enough. Now we have players that are just not good enough for Arsenal. The likes of Gervinho and Chamakh. It's all in shambles. Completely his fault.

He needs to fix this. We are no longer a club that's feared by every team on the planet. We no longer have expectations that require a win every weekend, every game, no matter who it is. Teams look at Arsenal and think to themselves, "We can even win this match." We're fragile. We're not where we're supposed to be.

Now, it's only fair to mention that Arsene Wenger is the reason behind our high expectations, but once you set standards, you have to live up to them. If you don't, it doesn't matter who you are anymore and what you've done will always be memories (sadly) and you will be replaced.

I'm still not sure I can stand to see Arsene at the dug out for one more season. We'll see I guess.

Zuhum Omar
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Arsenal must be only club in world football where the manager gets upset the media report he is about to get a new contract, not sacked. rofl
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by SUPERCARTTS Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:56 am

His time is up! I have absolutely no faith in Wenger anymore. I appreciate everything he's achieved for Arsenal and himself; but right now, we're in danger of missing out on the only thing that makes us relevant - CL football. Whether we achieve that goal or not, Wenger has to leave
SUPERCARTTS
SUPERCARTTS
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:12 am

It is simple.. Whenever i see such questions.. I just ask who could have done a better job at Arsenal in a transition period when the club had to change its policy to build a stadium and sacrifice for a better future.. None.. So i will support Wenger forever..

And most fans take it for granted that Arsenal must win trophies every season just because we won loads in the first 8 years of Wenger era.. The funny thing is those who call for trophies would never have had such expectations if it was not for Wenger...
Wenger is the victim of his own success.. I hope fans understand that the scenario today is completely different from those glorious eight years.. And i dont expect us to go back to those days in the near future..
And i am damn sure that all these fans who call for Wengers resignation will regret once the club falls further down when Wenger leaves...
so as Henry said.. "You will know his importance only when he leaves.. By then it will be too late.."
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SUPERCARTTS Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 am

@ Wilson,

I am so surprise by your reluctance to realise Wenger's recent failings, persistent lies, poor decision making, tactically & strategically inept and lack of motivation towards players?

SUPERCARTTS
SUPERCARTTS
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:00 pm

SUPERCARTTS wrote:@ Wilson,

I am so surprise by your reluctance to realise Wenger's recent failings, persistent lies, poor decision making, tactically & strategically inept and lack of motivation towards players?

It's like you didn't even read anything he said.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Peter Hill-Wood: "You have your ups & downs & we are having a bit of a down. But some of the reaction has been a bit hysterical."

Hell wood, Satan and Donkey face must leave with Wenger also.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:16 pm

MJGunner wrote:

What he said?
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:25 pm

We want a manager like SAF who ll NEVER get tired of winning, I remember SAF was angry at his team for only beating us 2-1. If we tied Man u at home that is like victory for Wenger.

We had some of the greatest players on the planet and won some trophies, for us that's OK to sit around and wait another 10 years? 8 seasons I think is more than enough time to judge someone successes or failures.

These days, I tend to thing Wenger is actually gambling, he really does not know his precise way round tactics and encouragement of players.

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:27 pm

All know that Wenger can make his mistakes like any other manager.. but whatever he does, he does with a vision and plan for the future.. time has proven that most of his actions were correct and will prove again..
All this is because many fail to acknowledge the circumstances today in the league and expect us to return all of a sudden to those glory days.. and 8 years is nothing in the grand scheme of things..

just a question.. it is the truth that we never were near to winning the PL or CL in recent years (arguably 2011 when we were competing till that Carling Cup.. would a few league cups or an FA cup have been enough to satisfy these fans who cry trophy drought..? instead they forget that all important 4th spot which has still kept the clubs status as elite allowing us to compete with the best and the fans having dreams...
even Portmouth and Birmingham won these cups.. does that elevate their status or content their fans or was it enough for them to attract and keep their strong players ? so the reality is nobody gives a sh*t about these trrophies except when some big teams win these and their fans brag about the number of trophies, and the f*in media who take advantage of the frustrated gooner...
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Look at United they have dominated English and European football for the past twenty odd years but still every year are looking to improve their squad.

Wenger does give us some stability which is always important. At the same time no one will understand some of the things he has done. He could have signed players in January for under £10 mil that would have helped us in the run in but chose not too until Gibbs got injured again and was forced to sign Monreal. This frustrating attitude of trudging along and not really trying to improve the team is what is so annoying. He’ll only ever make a move because he’s replacing another player and more often then not the new man to come in isn’t even as good.

Is he a Banker or Manager?

Whats the point of making top 4 when he is going to sell the best player? it doesn’t matter how much is spent overall it’s just about showing the fans that the club is trying to compete and trying to bring in the best players they can rather then settling.

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:40 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:We want a manager like SAF who ll NEVER get tired of winning, I remember SAF was angry at his team for only beating us 2-1. If we tied Man u at home that is like victory for Wenger.

We had some of the greatest players on the planet and won some trophies, for us that's OK to sit around and wait another 10 years? 8 seasons I think is more than enough time to judge someone successes or failures.

These days, I tend to thing Wenger is actually gambling, he really does not know his precise way round tactics and encouragement of players.

that is a part of a persons personality.. Dont expect Wenger to come out and point fingers in the media or mock the opposition as Fergie does.. there are loads of other managers who have the same attitude and won nothing.. the comparison here is only because Fergie has won trophies..

i know it is frustrating to hear these post match interviews.. tbh, what do you actually expect from a manager to say after a loss ? to come out and say we dont have the quality to beat them.. or to say that our tactics went wrong.. or just say we lost because of Gervinho, or Santos..?
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Wilson37 wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:We want a manager like SAF who ll NEVER get tired of winning, I remember SAF was angry at his team for only beating us 2-1. If we tied Man u at home that is like victory for Wenger.

that is a part of a persons personality.. Dont expect Wenger to come out and point fingers in the media or mock the opposition as Fergie does.. there are loads of other managers who have the same attitude and won nothing.. the comparison here is only because Fergie has won trophies..

i know it is frustrating to hear these post match interviews.. tbh, what do you actually expect from a manager to say after a loss ? to come out and say we dont have the quality to beat them.. or to say that our tactics went wrong.. or just say we lost because of Gervinho, or Santos..?

I know what you saying, but for a Manager who is having his worst season and come out and say we cant buy until we sell Arshavin and Squid is just ridiculous.

This is what drives fans crazy, I love Arsenal and proud of them but I just cant stand losing anymore.

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by SUPERCARTTS Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:52 pm

MJGunner wrote:

Beg you're pardon? Did you even read his post at all?
SUPERCARTTS
SUPERCARTTS
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next