Who is the ultimate big-game scorer in football history?

+11
Gil
sportsczy
BarrileteCosmico
Onyx
Lord Spencer
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Swanhends
Ganso
VivaStPauli
Zealous
Harmonica
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who is the ultimate big-game scorer in football history? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the ultimate big-game scorer in football history?

Post by sportsczy Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
sportsczy wrote:Zidane. His record speaks for itself.

The same Zidane who consistently flopped in CL finals at club level until that wonderful volley against Leverkusen?

No. The one that scored 3 goals in 2 WC finals... dominated play in WC 2006, including MOTM against Spain, Brazil and Portugal to get to finals. Was the only reason France NT qualified to begin with in WC 2006. Completely dominated Euro 2000. Not to mention the rest of it.

When pressure was at its highest... which is how i rate WC and Euro... he was at his best.

sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Who is the ultimate big-game scorer in football history? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the ultimate big-game scorer in football history?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Yh he was ridiculous for France everyone knows that but i can't call him the ultimate big game scorer when there was a big selection of big games for Juve and Madrid where he didn't produce.

Platini was probably better in this regard. ( well maybe not performances i don't know obviously but goalscoring wise he was)

Which is what the thread is about.

Although i will admit my original post was slightly trollish.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:03 pm

I'll also add that you guys have no idea the amazing games Zidane put in to get Juve to those CL stages. Even Zidane himself rates some of his Juve CL games as the best games of his career over his France ones... So was Messi a a flop last year because Barca didn't win CL or La Liga? Juve won Serie A and other trophies by the way.

But you are right Mole... Platini was insane also in big games. He scored like a madman in those. But i can't rate him ahead of Zizou because he didn't win a WC or get to the finals even.

To me, the WC is where you separate the men from the boys. The rest is child's play in terms of pressure.

That's why i think Maradonna was also an incredible big stage player.

As far as best ever? Pele. Not even a question.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Anyone with a clue would look at Drogba's record and realize this list is BS.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Drogba has mostly flopped with Ivory Coast in CAN. That's the problem. They should have won 4-5 of those... but have yet to win one. He missed a PK in last year's final which cost Ivory Coast the game.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Sports i followed Zidane's career since his Bordeaux days ( well the latter part of it anyway) i know full well he had some fantastic matches at CL level all i said was that was many games ( as there is with any player) where he didn't quite up with the goods.

I wouldn't call Messi the ultimate big game scorer either tbh....

Zidane had a good record at club level but in my personal opinion which is relevant from 1995 till now i think there were a few better ones in regards to big game scorers.

Maybe not big game performers as Zidane to be the premium big game performer more often than not but big game scorer? i think we can think of better.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Who though? R9 flopped against France in WCs. Drogba with Ivory Coast. RVP is a Dutch no show. Argentina NT have been flopping since Maradonna left. Ronaldinho flopped in WC 2006. I can go on and on.

There is no such thing as the perfect player.

i can remember matches starting in 1982. Since that time, i have the following guys that were huuuuge in big games MOSTLY: Platini, Maradonna, Van Basten, Zidane, R9, Iniesta, Casillas, Villa and Xavi. Probably have to throw an Italian in there; but i can't think of one. Before you jump all over the Spaniards... they were complete flops before 2008 and they all played in that period.

Flip a coin with these guys.

Before them? Everyone tells me Pele. But i don't know since i never saw those games.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Tbf i have always been someone who takes more from club performances ( as you can probably tell) in which instance there's probably a bigger pool of players to pick from.

As you say a lot of those players have flopped on quite a few occasions for their national team.

Tbf to R9 though, aside from that one final against France when he obviously wasn't 100% he has been pretty consistent over the years when it comes to big match goals.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Ronaldo wasnt fit and Ronaldinho had already declined, they surely dont count?

If Ronaldinho flopped now in a tournament would you hold it against him? Because he is better now than then Laughing

Ronaldo shouldnt of been on the pitch.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Judging based on one or few games is flawed method already since we don't know what was the current form or fitness of the player, or the opponents. It's rather pointless to say he scored in this or that particular game.

It's when the sample size gets big enough, when the real story of ones overall quality or decisiveness comes forth.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:20 pm

ronaldinho had already declined in wc 2006????? he was player of the year for the season just before. best season of his career. must have been a massive decline if it happened in less than a month lol.

and r9 flopped in wc 98 final too.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Is that Cristiano Ronaldo?

LOL

It's the real Ronaldo the one that acts like man and was one of the greatest players to play this game.
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Shakhtar Donetsk

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:17 pm

league and era adjusted id say were looking for the correct answer of messi by 1298 and a half gelgamechs

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 pm

sportsczy wrote:ronaldinho had already declined in wc 2006????? he was player of the year for the season just before. best season of his career. must have been a massive decline if it happened in less than a month lol.

and r9 flopped in wc 98 final too.

I know that, but if you actually look closer you would of already seen the decline. 3 month before the WC he was disastrous and the season directly after it he was worse still

And again, R9 shouldnt of been on the pitch so no he didnt.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:36 am

Gerd Müller, he scored in every big game in any competition he has faced. The thread is about goal scoring I think not about the influence in big games eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:07 am

Kleines Dickes Müller > All.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2