Lex
RedOranje
RebaƱo Sagrado
daneq
andiii
36 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

what i find painful about football - Page 3 Empty Re: what i find painful about football

Post by McLewis Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:03 am

Think it's officially time to recognize Megan Rapinoe as the female incarnation of David Beckham.

That woman has some serious tekkers in the pass. Don't think there's a player in all of women's football who's more deadly out wide or with set-pieces. She just sliced Canada open time and again with those long balls. Amazing.

I do not find Women's football at all painful to watch. Been some great games over the years. Gold medal match with USA-Japan is a must watch, I'd say.

McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

what i find painful about football - Page 3 Empty Re: what i find painful about football

Post by stevieg8 Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:47 am

McLewis wrote:
I do not find Women's football at all painful to watch. Been some great games over the years. Gold medal match with USA-Japan is a must watch, I'd say.

Definitely agree. The game might not be as technically sound, but by slowing everything down you can really see plays develop and watch the players' thought process, which makes for some excellent drama in tight matches. Having a good national team to root for doesn't hurt either. I've had a blast watching these games.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:24 am

The reason there is no diving in basketball is because there are 3 (!!!!) refs for such a small court, you won't get away with it. As for which is tougher, does that really matter? Seriously.

Diving exists in football because there are 3 refs covering such a large field, which is why reffing is a very hard demanding job in football. Given the size of the field and the amount of refs, you can't often be right in the thick of the action, and most of the time you won't be. So diving is so much more effective and a lot of times it works.

Honestly if there is a game of which people play professionally and you can dive and get away with it, I think it's extremely ignorant to think it won't exist. People play to win.

No we don't need more refs, no we DON'T need technology. But I do agree with punishing divers retrospectively.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:42 am

CBarca wrote:The reason there is no diving in basketball is because there are 3 (!!!!) refs for such a small court, you won't get away with it. As for which is tougher, does that really matter? Seriously.

Diving exists in football because there are 3 refs covering such a large field, which is why reffing is a very hard demanding job in football. Given the size of the field and the amount of refs, you can't often be right in the thick of the action, and most of the time you won't be. So diving is so much more effective and a lot of times it works.

Honestly if there is a game of which people play professionally and you can dive and get away with it, I think it's extremely ignorant to think it won't exist. People play to win.

No we don't need more refs, no we DON'T need technology. But I do agree with punishing divers retrospectively.

Firstly there is diving in Basketball, it's known as Flopping but there is little playacting (other than Oscar nominee Paul Pierce Laughing).

Linesmen have the right to give fouls, so do the refs behind the goal, they all have the right to influence the game.

But for me, it's not diving that's pathetic, it's the completely unnecessary playacting which follows it.in basketball where flopping actually hurts considerably more than diving in football, people just get up and play.No rolling around on the ground and crying,
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:57 am

It was rather presumptuous to claim that there isn't any diving, since I don't watch basketball, so you got me there, but I will assume there is little (ffs there are 3 refs for that tiny court lol)- maybe I'm wrong again there but I find it hard with the whole...3 ref thing.

Yeah I can agree the playacting is the worst.

I'm not sure we are disagreeing here.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:10 am

How to easily disprove Goal legacy:

a) Open youtube.
b) Enter a search: worst football injuries.
c) Come accross with dozens of videos with terrible tackles, head collisions, broken legs, etc. most of them caused by opponents:

(There are like 20 videos more of those)

d) Enter another search: worst basketball injuries.
e) Find this and only 4 more videos of 1 non very serious injury more:

f) Deliver the pwnage on goal legacy.

g) Receive the critical acclaim. Very Happy

(Don't know why I can't embed).
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:19 am

free_cat wrote:(Don't know why I can't embed).
Because you used "https" and not "http". I fixed it for you.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by andiii Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:56 pm

free_cat wrote:How to easily disprove Goal legacy:

a) Open youtube.
b) Enter a search: worst football injuries.
c) Come accross with dozens of videos with terrible tackles, head collisions, broken legs, etc. most of them caused by opponents:

(There are like 20 videos more of those)

d) Enter another search: worst basketball injuries.
e) Find this and only 4 more videos of 1 non very serious injury more:

f) Deliver the pwnage on goal legacy.

g) Receive the critical acclaim. Very Happy

(Don't know why I can't embed).

h) Wake up from the dream

andiii
andiii
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:17 pm

bow to me or gtfo from my ownage thread.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Your not owning nothing free, football nowadays is full of fairies and diving pansies who roll around for 5 mins with the slightest contact.

They act like they have been shot by an elephant gun.

As mentioned last night, the women are tougher Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:23 pm

So Free_cat youtubed worst injuries and presented that as his arguement? Laughing

Stick to the Barca section boy. Laughing
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:56 pm

free_cat begging the question ftw. :bow:
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Eivindo Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Amar wrote:Even women's football at the Olympics has opened my eyes to how much playacting there is in the men's game.

Apart from a couple Japanese woman diving this tourney, most of the chicks that get fouled, get up and get on with it with no theatrics or dramatic falls.

Have you seen the pace in womens football? Its so slow its hard to find a place where it would look natural to dive.
Eivindo
Eivindo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:05 pm

A couple things.

Immediately you have to recognize that the sample size for basketball injuries is relatively circumspect compared to that for football injuries. Not only are there less players, but more importantly there are less teams that would be watched regularly and only one truly elite league where most of these highlights will come from.

Football is the one and only truly global sport.

Nonetheless I can provide examples from this one league that in one way or another counteracts your argument.

Example 1 : Broken arm , dislocated elbow : Got up and played 5 minutes later.

Example 2: Severe concussion, tried to get up and play.

Example 3: Andre Bogut Broken hand, Slightest push from behind.

Example 4:

Example 5 : Rubio Torn ACL on a completely normal play.

I can post more if necceaary.

The chance for freak injuries in football is probably higher, but from experience, the level of pain experienced in game is no comparison. You can get away is basketball with most of the stuff considered red card worthy in football.

As I said, unintentional elbows , jabs to the back and ribs and getting slight pushes in the back and being left helpless in the air are not uncommon and don't lead to expulsion.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Im shocked at how many people think basketball is the more "painful" sport here

Definitely soccer for me, not even close IMO

Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:31 pm

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:Im shocked at how many people think basketball is the more "painful" sport here

I've regularly played competitive soccer for almost 10 years now, and have avoided basketball (due to being awful at it) most of my life, and have still managed to get more hurt on a consistent basis when playing pickup bball. There's substantially more contact, it's a more aggressive game, and the hard surface makes it more likely. I've been tackled pretty hard, but nothing compares to being boxed out by a player bigger than you and falling on concrete or hardwood.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:45 pm

stevieg8 wrote:
BhritanniaBhlue wrote:Im shocked at how many people think basketball is the more "painful" sport here

I've regularly played competitive soccer for almost 10 years now, and have avoided basketball (due to being awful at it) most of my life, and have still managed to get more hurt on a consistent basis when playing pickup bball. There's substantially more contact, it's a more aggressive game, and the hard surface makes it more likely. I've been tackled pretty hard, but nothing compares to being boxed out by a player bigger than you and falling on concrete or hardwood.

Falling to the ground is such an irregular occurrence though, especially violently

The constant injuries in basketball are jammed fingers, rolled/sprained ankles (which are not usually a contact injury) and getting hit by hands/arms/elbows in the upper body

Perhaps its just personal preference, but in my experience I would MUUUUCH rather have one of those things happen than the common injuries in soccer: Getting your foot stepped on by someone wearing cleats, getting kicked in the leg, and pulling/straining leg muscles getting tackled

In my experience with both sports the most frequent injury in basketball is jamming your fingers (which I've done so many times it really doesn't even bother me anymore) and the most frequent injury in soccer is getting your foot stepped on (which still infuriates me and hurts like hell)

Thats just my .02$ though
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:56 pm

It's silly arguing this. Everyone knows which sports is more dangerous between basketball and football. Football has way more serious injuries, even deaths, than basketball.

Anyway, think as you please.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:34 pm

It doesn't really matter which sport is more dangerous Football players don't flop and dive around because football is dangerous. The NFL has a lot more serious injuries than both basketball and football combined and yet you hardly see any flopping there. It has a lot more to do with the culture of the sports. In some sports and in some countries flopping is a lot more accepted as a common tactic.

I absolutely hate it. It's the worst aspect about this beautiful game and it takes away from the spectacle. It's infuriating and steps should be taken to discourage players from doing it.

It's why I loved seeing Neymar getting booed every time he went to ground in the olympics. Although many times he wasn't faking it, he has a rightfully earned reputation as a flopper. Maybe it will teach him something.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:13 pm

It is a fact that in a game it is more probable for a player to get injured in Football then Basketball. The stupid videos of someone getting knocked out are stupid.. do you remember Drogba getting knocked out?
Also ask yourself would you rather get punched in your face or get a facefull of cleats.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:43 am

free_cat wrote:
Le Samourai wrote:Lol@ Contact is harder in football.Because a tackle hurts more than getting pushed mid air and falling off balance onto a wooden floor.

Lol at you thinking that contacts in basketball hurt more.
It's basic physics.

A 75 kgm player running at you at 25 km/hour and making a sliding tackle further propelling himself possibly over 40 km/hour and concentrating all his this force in his feet/studs carries much more force than a 100 kg basketball player moving at barely 10 km/hour and pushing you with his hands.

You've never played basketball with serious people...
You don't know how hard it hurts getting slammed to the floor..
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:47 am

free_cat wrote:It's silly arguing this. Everyone knows which sports is more dangerous between basketball and football. Football has way more serious injuries, even deaths, than basketball.

Anyway, think as you please.
No one knows this. Your pulling crap out of your ass.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:58 am

I actually read through this thread whilst eating my dinner today instead of watching TV. The entertainment value is astronomical
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:14 am

Donuts wrote:It is a fact that in a game it is more probable for a player to get injured in Football then Basketball. The stupid videos of someone getting knocked out are stupid.. do you remember Drogba getting knocked out?
Also ask yourself would you rather get punched in your face or get a facefull of cleats.

Another who hasn't played basketball :facepalm:
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:39 am

elitedam wrote:It doesn't really matter which sport is more dangerous Football players don't flop and dive around because football is dangerous. The NFL has a lot more serious injuries than both basketball and football combined and yet you hardly see any flopping there. It has a lot more to do with the culture of the sports. In some sports and in some countries flopping is a lot more accepted as a common tactic.

I absolutely hate it. It's the worst aspect about this beautiful game and it takes away from the spectacle. It's infuriating and steps should be taken to discourage players from doing it.

It's why I loved seeing Neymar getting booed every time he went to ground in the olympics. Although many times he wasn't faking it, he has a rightfully earned reputation as a flopper. Maybe it will teach him something.

Where in gridiron football is flopping...useful? I don't know much about gridiron but I'm pretty sure there is no real use for it. It's not like you're trying to get someone sent off for a tackle, you get tackled all the time.

People dive to win. Football is the easiest sport to dive in and get rewarded for it, which is why it's most common there. As for playacting...well same thing, pretty much.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:16 am

Giggity5313 wrote:
Donuts wrote:It is a fact that in a game it is more probable for a player to get injured in Football then Basketball. The stupid videos of someone getting knocked out are stupid.. do you remember Drogba getting knocked out?

Another who hasn't played basketball :facepalm:
I used facts not a stupid childish argument of what you think.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next