If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse?

+34
VivaStPauli
Adit
Zealous
Jack Russell
steve_smith
I Have Mono
BarrileteCosmico
leemhuis
viepr149
DRK
everest1
Sushi Master
animal.crackers
Catracho
CBarca
VanDeezNuts
RebaƱo Sagrado
Swanhends
S
stevieg8
hrealmadrid
Mr Nick09
justdoit_
stunt
paperbackwriter
Aensensen
TalkingReckless
The Franchise
che
FennecFox7
Le Samourai
Blackmore.
Blue Barrett
Flick
38 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse? - Page 4 Empty Re: If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse?

Post by justdoit_ Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:57 pm

I don't know why people keep bringing up China and India, huge population yes, but they have yet to show close to the capacity of creating dominant athletes like the United States. They don't have the facilities, the genes, etc.

justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse? - Page 4 Empty Re: If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse?

Post by EarlyPrototype Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:38 pm

If they want to then yes.

Obviously not for the upcoming Euro's and World Cup. If they focused on training their youth into becoming football super stars then easily.

EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by leemhuis Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:50 pm

justdoit_ wrote:I don't know why people keep bringing up China and India, huge population yes, but they have yet to show close to the capacity of creating dominant athletes like the United States. They don't have the facilities, the genes, etc.

If the U.S. had such dominant athletes and genes, why are they at no. 43 and behind Netherlands!!!, Russia, UK, Germany, Italy, France, Australia and many other countries with respect to Olympic medals per capita?
leemhuis
leemhuis
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by leemhuis Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:51 pm

http://users.skynet.be/hermandw/olymp/reloly.html
leemhuis
leemhuis
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:54 pm

per capita isnt relevant, we are discussing if the whole of the u.s. would be a powerhouse if football was their primary sport. and imo they would (or at the very least pose decent competition in the WC) because of their large population, large number of athletes, solid economy, and considering how well the u.s. does in the olympics across sports.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by leemhuis Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:15 pm

vanDEEZ wrote:per capita isnt relevant, we are discussing if the whole of the u.s. would be a powerhouse if football was their primary sport. and imo they would (or at the very least pose decent competition in the WC) because of their large population, large number of athletes, solid economy, and considering how well the u.s. does in the olympics across sports.

The Soviet Union had large population had football as it priamry sport and sport was well financed by the state, and still they never come close to even a small country like Netherlands in football.

The US does not do very well at all in the Olympic compared to the size of the population. That is what per capita means.
leemhuis
leemhuis
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by justdoit_ Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:22 pm

leemhuis wrote:
justdoit_ wrote:I don't know why people keep bringing up China and India, huge population yes, but they have yet to show close to the capacity of creating dominant athletes like the United States. They don't have the facilities, the genes, etc.

If the U.S. had such dominant athletes and genes, why are they at no. 43 and behind Netherlands!!!, Russia, UK, Germany, Italy, France, Australia and many other countries with respect to Olympic medals per capita?
That doesn't mean shit. We aren't going to suddenly become Holland-sized any time soon.

Try to disregard the facts as you wish. We put out the best athletes. Period.
justdoit_
justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs

Back to top Go down

Post by leemhuis Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:26 pm

justdoit_ wrote:
leemhuis wrote:

That doesn't mean shit. We aren't going to suddenly become Holland-sized any time soon.

I do not think you are getting the point or do not understand the term per capita.

And no, based on the statistics, the U.S. does not put out the best athletes though it does much better than China.
leemhuis
leemhuis
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by justdoit_ Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:27 pm

I understand the term.

We still put out the best athletes.
justdoit_
justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:29 pm

genes mean shit lol, the reason indians suck at sports is because we have a very lazy work ethic , terrible infrastructure and terrible sporting bodies, not to mention a very discouraging atmosphere towards sports

as for this question , usa have always produced great athletes in all sports, and if they start paying more attention to football, playing it more, they definitely have the chance of doing better
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:29 pm

leemhuis wrote:
justdoit_ wrote:
leemhuis wrote:

I do not think you are getting the point or do not understand the term per capita.

And no, based on the statistics, the U.S. does not put out the best athletes though it does much better than China.

per capita isn't rocket science....we understand what it means

Its just not relevant at all to the discussion Rolling Eyes
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by steve_smith Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:13 pm

viepr149 wrote:steve you are just naming players who are physically fit. That's it...by that logic African nations should be dominating futbal because they are physically superior.

Playing basketball - hand eye coordination is MUCH easier then soccer.

Football - even easier, you catch a ball and run. QB is the hardest position which requires the most mental strength and vision.

So if you are basing you opinions on strickly physical abilities, why haven't African nations ever won a world cup, its the number one sport there and gets a lot of funding. If you are gonna say disposable income and such...why do some of the best players come from the poorest parts of Brazil, Argentina.

Allen Iverson - Ronaldinho type player LOL...don't insult Ronaldinho. To do what he does with his feet is much harder.

Also some of the best basketball players say soccer has helped them become a better player because it builds exactly what you need for basketball. Steve Nash, Kobe.

Futbal requires more vision IMO.

WTF? Players who are JUST physically fit? Allen Iversan was a TOP QB in the nation out of high school. He's a 6'1 freak of nature who can dribble past entire teams jump over 7 foot players and put the ball in the basket. He's also a mental midget making him very similar to Ronaldhino.

And if you think Barry Sanders was just physically fit and all he did was 'catch the ball and run', you know nothing of sports.

Also Africans are much different than blacks in America. The blacks in America are bigger, stronger, faster and have been playing sports HARD since they were young children.

And also, I played both 'soccer' and basketball all through my youth competitively. There isn't much difference as far as vision and coodination and all that stuff.

steve_smith
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by steve_smith Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:20 pm

leemhuis wrote:
vanDEEZ wrote:per capita isnt relevant, we are discussing if the whole of the u.s. would be a powerhouse if football was their primary sport. and imo they would (or at the very least pose decent competition in the WC) because of their large population, large number of athletes, solid economy, and considering how well the u.s. does in the olympics across sports.

The Soviet Union had large population had football as it priamry sport and sport was well financed by the state, and still they never come close to even a small country like Netherlands in football.

The US does not do very well at all in the Olympic compared to the size of the population. That is what per capita means.

It is still always on top with medal counts right. That's all that matters.

International matches is not based on per capita.

We would definitely have the #1 league with most of the money in it. It would be hugely commercialized. Which means more poor freakishly athletic chidlren would play it at a young age here as a means out of the hood..........which would lead to global powerhouse in the sport. How can anyone argue against this. I dislike a lot of United States' politics and other stuff but no one can deny this.

steve_smith
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:39 pm

As a European-born US citizen who grew up in the states, I will say : No.

We can play the "what if" games all day long. America has fantastic athletes, no doubt, many of them can do the seemingly impossible, but futbol is a totally different game to any other sport. It's comparable to some sports, but foot-eye coordination is much different than hand-eye coordination.

How come we aren't even the world's best nation when it comes to baseball?
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by steve_smith Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Be/\/ceCALI wrote:As a European-born US citizen who grew up in the states, I will say : No.

We can play the "what if" games all day long. America has fantastic athletes, no doubt, many of them can do the seemingly impossible, but futbol is a totally different game to any other sport. It's comparable to some sports, but foot-eye coordination is much different than hand-eye coordination.

How come we aren't even the world's best nation when it comes to baseball?

So you are saying that we are born with foot-eye coordination????.....
This is something that is eeveloped over time and would be developed over time if......

Also, baseball isn't that popular here anymore. TV ratings are horrible, even college football beats baseball in ratings. Heck, Mexico - US soccer beats baseball........ And also, arguably, we still are the best in world at baseball.

steve_smith
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Not sure where I really was going with the foot-eye coordination thing tbh Laughing, but I guess I was just trying to comparing it to the sports we're very good at like Football and Baseball etc.

This is really a hypothetical thing based on what-ifs. I guess the real reason I say "no" is because soccer isn't embraced in the culture here as it is in big football nations. It really needs to be part of the lifestyle for us to be on top. We could have all our athletes playing non-stop with these expensive academies and all but if the passion isn't there and the lifestyle isn't focused on the sport then it would fail imo.

It's like saying "what if Europe's best Athletes played American Football from the start" .. granted that Europe is a nation it might be a bit apples to oranges, but I think you get the idea.

And yes, the baseball thing is arguable, but I was just basing it off the past Baseball world cups.
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by steve_smith Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Be/\/ceCALI wrote:Not sure where I really was going with the foot-eye coordination thing tbh Laughing, but I guess I was just trying to comparing it to the sports we're very good at like Football and Baseball etc.

This is really a hypothetical thing based on what-ifs. I guess the real reason I say "no" is because soccer isn't embraced in the culture here as it is in big football nations. It really needs to be part of the lifestyle for us to be on top. We could have all our athletes playing non-stop with these expensive academies and all but if the passion isn't there and the lifestyle isn't focused on the sport then it would fail imo.

It's like saying "what if Europe's best Athletes played American Football from the start" .. granted that Europe is a nation it might be a bit apples to oranges, but I think you get the idea.

And yes, the baseball thing is arguable, but I was just basing it off the past Baseball world cups.

it is all a big what if............ but this would be my dream world. I have season tix to my local nfl team.... have seen probably 100 live nfl games.... a lot of them have been dreadful.. Live 'soccer' is so much better. (soccer on tv is better too btw.)

but back on topic... if soccer was #1 here it would be a cultural thing. Americans love sports. Im watching kids play basketball right now on my street. When I was a kid I played basketball everyday too. The sports bars are filled with people here and attendance to every major sport is great in this country. 'If' soccer was #1 sport here the kids from the hood with live and breath soccer (as they do) basketball. It would be huge, Im sure of it

steve_smith
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4