If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse?

+34
VivaStPauli
Adit
Zealous
Jack Russell
steve_smith
I Have Mono
BarrileteCosmico
leemhuis
viepr149
DRK
everest1
Sushi Master
animal.crackers
Catracho
CBarca
VanDeezNuts
Rebaño Sagrado
Swanhends
S
stevieg8
hrealmadrid
Mr Nick09
justdoit_
stunt
paperbackwriter
Aensensen
TalkingReckless
The Franchise
che
FennecFox7
Le Samourai
Blackmore.
Blue Barrett
Flick
38 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse? - Page 2 Empty Re: If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse?

Post by stevieg8 Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Surag wrote:Stevie's team right there would fit well in the Donkee League.:coffee:
I'll take it Thumbs up

stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse? - Page 2 Empty Re: If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse?

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:40 pm

stevieg8 wrote:
That being said, I was talking about this with a friend the other night. Imagine this, if they had trained in soccer since they were 4 or whatever:

Brian Urlacher
Adrian Peterson-------Ray Lewis----Clay Matthews----Arian Foster
Andrew McCutchen----Kobe----Wade-----Jacoby Ellsbury
Lebron---Calvin Johnson

Would be dominant in the air, with fantastic pace on the wings and up front, and a couple of marshalls in the middle to control the pace when necessary and keep the team focused.
The only person on that list that might make it in football is Wade. I don't even know most of the other names but oh well. Razz
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Barrettinator wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:
That being said, I was talking about this with a friend the other night. Imagine this, if they had trained in soccer since they were 4 or whatever:

Brian Urlacher
Adrian Peterson-------Ray Lewis----Clay Matthews----Arian Foster
Andrew McCutchen----Kobe----Wade-----Jacoby Ellsbury
Lebron---Calvin Johnson

Would be dominant in the air, with fantastic pace on the wings and up front, and a couple of marshalls in the middle to control the pace when necessary and keep the team focused.
The only person on that list that might make it in football is Wade. I don't even know most of the other names but oh well. Razz

Well good thing you analyzed it in depth Razz

Personally, I think all of them would make it in football, if they had prior training and experience in it. They are all professional athletes, and are some of the craziest physical specimens I've ever seen...
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Basketballers only.

................................Marcus Camby..........................
Westbrook.......Arstest..................Rondo------------Gerald Wallace
--------------Dwill..............................Paul................................
Drose....................................................................Dwade.........
.................................................Kobe...................................
............................Lebron.....................................................

Coach : Otto Rehanel.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Le Samourai wrote:Basketballers only.

Westbrook.......Arstest..................Rondo------------Gerald Wallace
--------------Dwill..............................Paul................................
Drose....................................................................Dwade.........
.................................................Kobe...................................
............................Lebron.....................................................

Swap Paul and Kobe, and not bad. Although Rondo's a little small to be a defender. Maybe someone like Durant?
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Aensensen Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:46 pm

Well, don't get me wrong, I still think not every nation can be excelent in football. Not in some metaphorical world, but in real world - maybe I banalised the idea of a nations mentality too much, but I was simply pointing to the fact that because of this mentality there is not so much of an interest in one particular sport - and that is the reason why some nations can't be excelent in some sport (Or there's not enough interest in one sport. What, football is like really low on American popularity list, right?).

There is absolutely no physical obstacle for Americans to be great in football, but it will not happen in real world, imo, because they will choose other sports instead - and I think mentality plays a big role here.

I posted the pic of these two guys because the first one is an image of a real American (at least in my mind - that's what I imagine when I think of a "real American"). His name is Mike and he's a sports comentator for ESPN (again I'm banalising but I'm just explaining what I see as a real American), likes beer, has a wife and two kids, and is actually a cool guy. I think that you cannot make a great football team with 11 Mikes.

Now if you're gonna mix in some other mentality/nation, then yes it's possible.
Aensensen
Aensensen
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by stunt Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:47 pm

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:I have to seriously question the mental state of anyone who says no.

Just based on statistics, demographics, and probability, the answer is an impossibly obvious yes.

It depends on how you interpret the question. In football, you need talent, not an "athletes" body. Barcelona is the epitome of that.

The USAs best athletes are tall and bulky, the opposite of what you generally want in a footballer.

The majority of the people most suited for Football in the USA are either:

a) Not playing any sport professionally.
b) Playing a sport other than Football professionally (But most are not at the top of the sport).

stunt
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:50 pm

This isn't about throwing modern athletes from other sports onto a pitch...

Its what would be the result if kids in this country were funneled into serious soccer programs instead of baseball/football/hockey/basketball etc programs....

The answer (even if you assume 0 changes to youth structure or coaching) is England on super-steroids and HGH...No country on earth can match the U.S athlete for athlete cause our genetic diversity is through the freaking roof - Even if our players lacked top-level technical skills we could produce lightning fast/freakishly strong/ludicrously tall/iron-lunged players like it was nothing...

Last edited by BhritanniaBhlue on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:51 pm

stunt wrote:
BhritanniaBhlue wrote:I have to seriously question the mental state of anyone who says no.

Just based on statistics, demographics, and probability, the answer is an impossibly obvious yes.

It depends on how you interpret the question. In football, you need talent, not an "athletes" body. Barcelona is the epitome of that.

The USAs best athletes are tall and bulky, the opposite of what you generally want in a footballer.

The majority of the people most suited for Football in the USA are either:

a) Not playing any sport professionally.
b) Playing a sport other than Football professionally (But most are not at the top of the sport).

Outfielders, Middle Infielders, Point/Shooting Guards, Wide Receivers, Cornerbacks and Linebackers. All positions that athletically fit the bill pretty perfectly, at least for the stereotypical versions of each.

All that needs to happen is for the understanding of soccer here to shift. I mean that in an economic sense; with so little popularity, and especially because of the lower status of the American league, most of the kids who could be growing up with a soccer ball instead of a basketball don't fully realize that you can just as wealthy and famous (if not more so, due to the worldwide nature of the sport) through soccer. That perception is changing, as ESPN starts flogging the sport relentlessly and a few Americans are getting footholds in leagues abroad. I genuinely believe that the first WC American player will come about within the next 20 years, as this generation grows up seeing it on TV and billboards as much as the big 4. It's just a question of exposure reaching the point where kids are picking up something new from a young age.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:52 pm

Le Samourai wrote:Basketballers only.

Westbrook.......Arstest..................Ibaka------------Gerald Wallace
--------------Dwill..............................Allen................................
.................................................Paul...................................

Fixed. :coffee:
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Ibaka is from the Congo.

Allen has has literally been diagnosed with ODD for Shooting and you want to play him as a CM.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:56 pm

Arian Foster>Dani Alves :coffee:
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:59 pm

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:This isn't about throwing modern athletes from other sports onto a pitch...

Its what would be the result if kids in this country were funneled into serious soccer programs instead of baseball/football/hockey/basketball etc programs....

The answer (even if you assume 0 changes to youth structure or coaching) is England on super-steroids and HGH...No country on earth can match the U.S athlete for athlete cause our genetic diversity is through the freaking roof - Even if our players lacked top-level technical skills we could produce lightning fast/freakishly strong/ludicrously tall/iron-lunged players like it was nothing...

Right.

And Spain would play you of the park every day of the week.

England on drugs is what I'm assuming and I don't consider a national powerhouse.The genetic diversity in Brazil is more than that of the US to be honest, you guys wouldn't produce athletes who can actually play football moreso than Brazil.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:02 pm

Le Samourai wrote:
BhritanniaBhlue wrote:This isn't about throwing modern athletes from other sports onto a pitch...

Right.

England on drugs is what I'm assuming and I don't consider a national powerhouse.The genetic diversity in Brazil is more than that of the US to be honest, you guys wouldn't produce athletes who can actually play football moreso than Brazil.

We beat Spain in 2009 without this fantasy scenario.
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:08 pm

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:
Le Samourai wrote:

Right.

We beat Spain in 2009 without this fantasy scenario.

Spain played you off the park tho.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stunt Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 pm

If that's the case, then the answer would be yes. The US would probabbly generate good talent and have a good NT. But it still depends. This is a big IF and it is incredibly hard to predict the implications something like this would have in the US culturally. With the USA becoming a big football country your league would be bigger than even the EPL. UEFA would have to make an European league just to outshine your own League. America vs Europe rivalries would reach an all time high.

Heck, your league would be like the EPL but your talent pool would be at the level of Brazil's, but you would have the money to keep your players in your country.

But.. That is impossible. Other sports won't ever go away. Your nation's sporting attention won't ever shift completely to football. Even if your football does improve in the coming years, if it gets more popular, it will never reach such a level. You might get a good league and have decent NTs in the future. But American Football, Basketball, and Baseball are there to stay.

stunt
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:32 pm

absolutely, considering how they essentially dominate the olympics in every sport. big talent pool.

but the other factor to consider is how sports are set up in america, it is mainstream for athletes to play college sports BEFORE professional, its not this way obviously in other countries

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:35 pm

I don't see why not.

Thing is...

I have personally met (and watched over the years) many young athletes/ football players that have been just...tremendously talented from a young age, but then they go on to play basketball or gridiron football, and totally give up football.

It's depressing, to say the least.

If we did get rid of that problem and the MLS continues to develop as it has and it gets more popular, there is no reason why not.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:41 pm

There is a huge reason for that.

Baketball is much much more fun to play.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Le Samourai wrote:There is a huge reason for that.

Baketball is much much more fun to play.

I hate basketball Razz

But love football more than anything in the world.

But there's much more...'glory' to be gained over here through basketball. Seriously- you will become a much more popular person, more women will like you, and you will overall be more 'glorified' over here if you play basketball or gridiron. As long as your not a total social outcast at the same time.

Granted, I wouldn't want that or to hang out with any of the people that you would get from being good at those sports (douchebags for the most part) but the point still stands.

At least where I am, your just another 'soccer player'. I much prefer it that way though.

Don't see where basketball is more fun but that's my bias.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:11 pm

I know all that lol.

Me and TMO talked about this on the old forums, football is disrespected in the States alot, people think of it as a less physical game where less rugged play is allowed.

To some extent that's true , but people should still have more respect for the game rather than calling those who play it pussies and what have have you.

More than popularity and whatever , Basketball is easier to get locked into, you always have something to do you get more touches, more opportunity to feel the rush of scoring.

It's easier to practice and you don't get called for fouls on every little thing.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Catracho Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:27 pm

lold @ Marcus Camby playing Goalkeeper. Gimme Duncan as GK plz and thanks.

Catracho
Catracho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Dortmund

Back to top Go down

Post by animal.crackers Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 pm

The genetic diversity in Brazil is more than that of the US to be honest.
USA is the most ethnically diverse country for certain. Not only that, but the population is massive.

To answer the topic. I think the USA would absolutely be a force.

Can you imagine if the yanks' best athletes were ALSO developed with focus on technique like Holland? A Lebron James playing with elegant touch & grace? I mean look at Yaya Toure, he's a physical specimen with excellent technique. When he runs, NO ONE can push him off the ball.

Last edited by animal.crackers on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
animal.crackers
animal.crackers
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:48 pm

Of course it would be. An international powerhouse, even.

We constantly have small countries churning out top talents.

If Venezuela were a football nation and not a baseball nation, we'd be at Uruguay level at least. :coffee:
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:56 pm

its not as easy as it looks

Mexico :facepalm:
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by animal.crackers Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:10 am

Problem with Mexico is coaching and development. The raw talent is undoubtedly there.
And still, Mexico is pretty good. Not a top, top team but easily better than USA.

Look at USA's females. Football is the top female sport in USA and they can pick their best female athletes. Whenever you watch the women's games it's insane how much better athletically they are than the competition.

They're not even technically good but excellent athleticism can compensate if one has at least decent technique.
animal.crackers
animal.crackers
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next