If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse?

+34
VivaStPauli
Adit
Zealous
Jack Russell
steve_smith
I Have Mono
BarrileteCosmico
leemhuis
viepr149
DRK
everest1
Sushi Master
animal.crackers
Catracho
CBarca
VanDeezNuts
RebaƱo Sagrado
Swanhends
S
stevieg8
hrealmadrid
Mr Nick09
justdoit_
stunt
paperbackwriter
Aensensen
TalkingReckless
The Franchise
che
FennecFox7
Le Samourai
Blackmore.
Blue Barrett
Flick
38 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse? Empty If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse?

Post by Flick Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Just wondering what you guys think because I was in an argument with one of my friends and he didn't agree with me. The reflexes of baseball players at goalie, the strength of american football players at the back with the speed and what not.

Flick
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse? Empty Re: If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse?

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:07 pm

If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse? Tumblr_lx5lqyG19e1qaa7gwo1_400

:coffee:
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse? Empty Re: If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse?

Post by Blackmore. Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:09 pm

If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse? 2859867778
Blackmore.
Blackmore.
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 pm

2 of Americas 3 best athletes do play football....

Messi and Nerman :cofffee:
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Probably. There's quite a bit of talent here, but the coaching is not always the best and many players aren't dedicated.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by che Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:12 pm

they've got arguably the best talent pool in the world (biggest and most diverse) so yes, if they actually focused on football they could easily be one of the best... look at what holland can produce from like 8 mil people
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Flick Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Giggity5313 wrote:Probably. There's quite a bit of talent here, but the coaching is not always the best and many players aren't dedicated.

If futbol was America's primary sport then there would be much better coaching and I'm sure that players would be motivated to be the best in America like how Matt Kemp from baseball or Peyton Manning want to be the best.

Flick
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:17 pm

Yeah probably, if they focused on it from the start.

But some players of other sports, who have been playing that sport for years with hardly any real football devolpment think they can play...and those guys are retarded lol

Then again, Usian Bolt thinks he can play too..so yeah, not just USA.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:19 pm

You could say the same for India or China....

having a big talent pool and utilizing is a big thing

Last edited by Legend on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Aensensen Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:19 pm

I absolutely disagree. Not because I have something against USA, but because there is a reason why USA is not a powerhouse at football. It's their mentality I would dare to say.

Look at how different nations play their football differently. Their mentality rules what their playing style will be. You can see how different football German football is from south American. And how different Italian football is from English, Spanish from Croatian, Holland's etc. This is, imo, caused by nation's mentality. I would never imagine Americans to become a powerhouse because their mentality goes along with big, strong, fast - more is better, while in football there is a lot of mental pressure when you need to overcome the urge to go all out and pull the brakes, change the lane and so on. On the other hand there are sports where your nation excells because of your mentality. Sports where you need to have "big, fast and strong" like basketball, NFL, Hockey etc. Don't get me wrong I'm simply trying to explain myself.

I think USA has lots of mentalities mixed because of all the immigrants from different cultures but still - they assimilate (or sometimes they dont Razz ). What I'm trying to say is you can't have a team full of real Americans and be a real powerhouse in football. Again, don't get me wrong, I've met lots and lots of real Americans and they are awesome, but that mentality just wont do in football, it will however do in those other sports.
Aensensen
Aensensen
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbackwriter Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:21 pm

It's not about if "americas best athletes..." but rather if football was as dominating in the US as in Europe and South America. Yes, then USA would probably be up there somewhere among Brazil, Argentina, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Portugal, England and Holland. And depending on the generation serious contenders for silverware.
paperbackwriter
paperbackwriter
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22 pm

I don't think they would for a couple reasons.

>Their domestic leagues would be heavily determined by media and financial success , which would result in a Premeir League esque environment with no real tactics or philosophy behind it.

>Their "best athletes" are almost exclusively physical freaks. Physical freak is not really on the CV for a footballer.

I think they would be a national powerhouse...but in the same Manner that England is a national powerhouse. They would be constantly in search of a identity.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stunt Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22 pm

It doesn't work that way.

Most basketball players are too tall to become footballers.

Most American Football players are too big to become footballers.

The physic needs of different sports are different. The actual problem is that due to Football not being very popular in the US, people who are more suited for Football end up going to other sports. There's not enough support and encouragement for someone to become a professional player.

The USA arent a powerhouse because football is not popular enough, and is not very viable as a professional career (atleast compared to other sports). Not because all the talent is in other sports. Talents used for Football are different.

But I get your point. There are some people who are just so talented that they excell at any sport. And yeah, some of those sports top players could become atleast decent players in Football.

Last edited by stunt on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

stunt
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by justdoit_ Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:23 pm

I just had a vision of LeBron as a target man. Rape.
justdoit_
justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Aensensen wrote:I absolutely disagree. Not because I have something against USA, but because there is a reason why USA is not a powerhouse at football. It's their mentality I would dare to say.

Look at how different nations play their football differently. Their mentality rules what their playing style will be. You can see how different football German football is from south American. And how different Italian football is from English, Spanish from Croatian, Holland's etc. This is, imo, caused by nation's mentality. I would never imagine Americans to become a powerhouse because their mentality goes along with big, strong, fast - more is better, while in football there is a lot of mental pressure when you need to overcome the urge to go all out and pull the brakes, change the lane and so on. On the other hand there are sports where your nation excells because of your mentality. Sports where you need to have "big, fast and strong" like basketball, NFL, Hockey etc. Don't get me wrong I'm simply trying to explain myself.

I think USA has lots of mentalities mixed because of all the immigrants from different cultures but still - they assimilate (or sometimes they dont Razz ). What I'm trying to say is you can't have a team full of real Americans and be a real powerhouse in football. Again, don't get me wrong, I've met lots and lots of real Americans and they are awesome, but that mentality just wont do in football, it will however do in those other sports.

That's not true at all, American sports are sports of contact and intensity in short sequences usually, while football is a game of endurance. The logic behind is completely different.

The "bigger, stronger, faster" bit is a myth imo, surely you will find physically impressive athletes in US sports, but i only need to look at the way Quaterbacks in football are prepare to know that their understanding of the mental aspec of the game is supreme.

I can say the same thing about Baseball or Basketball, and there is a wonderful emphasis on the intellectual aspects of the game. So i have no doubt that they would figure out the ins and outs of football and adapt.

But at core, if they do focus only on football, they will be as good as elite european football. Athletes wll simply develop differently, and the urge to get as big as an apple wouldnt be the same.

Last edited by Mr Nick09 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 pm

justdoit_ wrote:I just had a vision of LeBron as a target man. Rape.

Lebron would not settle for being a target man, he would try to be the CM and string passes around like Xavi.....(and fail miserably).

Howard as a target man.....Shocked
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by hrealmadrid Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Steve Nash would tear it up. Too bad he's Canadian.
hrealmadrid
hrealmadrid
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flick Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:28 pm

Le Samourai wrote:

Lebron would not settle for being a target man, he would try to be the CM and string passes around like Xavi.....(and fail miserably).

Lebron is one of the best passers in the NBA... I don't think he would fail miserably..

Flick
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Aensensen Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:30 pm

If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse? MikeBunkerPhoto%5B6%5D

a real American

If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse? 5_ugly

not a real American

I imagine the other guy winning in football. It's the neck :coffee:

EDIT: and the jaw Razz

Last edited by Aensensen on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aensensen
Aensensen
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Flick Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Aensensen wrote:
If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse? MikeBunkerPhoto%5B6%5D

a real American

If America's best athletes played futbol, do you think the USA would be a national powerhouse? 5_ugly

not a real American

I imagine the other guy winning in football. It's the neck :coffee:

This post makes no sense at all.

Flick
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Aensensen wrote:I absolutely disagree. Not because I have something against USA, but because there is a reason why USA is not a powerhouse at football. It's their mentality I would dare to say.

All this post tells me is that you fundamentally misunderstand Basketball, Football and Hockey on a tactical level. Pros /=/ little league, and being the strongest/fastest all the time would fail miserably in any of those leagues.

That being said, I was talking about this with a friend the other night. Imagine this, if they had trained in soccer since they were 4 or whatever:

Brian Urlacher
Adrian Peterson-------Ray Lewis----Clay Matthews----Arian Foster
Andrew McCutchen----Kobe----Wade-----Jacoby Ellsbury
Lebron---Calvin Johnson

Would be dominant in the air, with fantastic pace on the wings and up front, and a couple of marshalls in the middle to control the pace when necessary and keep the team focused.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by stunt Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Flick wrote:
Le Samourai wrote:

Lebron is one of the best passers in the NBA... I don't think he would fail miserably..

Lebron is 2 meters tall. His ball controll would be horrendous. How many 2m footballers have you seen play? Not many I wager.

Tall people have a hard time making it into pro football. Being tall = high centre of gravity -> low ball control.

Last edited by stunt on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

stunt
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by S Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Stevie's team right there would fit well in the Donkee League.:coffee:
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:36 pm

I have to seriously question the mental state of anyone who says no.

Just based on statistics, demographics, and probability, the answer is an impossibly obvious yes.
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Surag wrote:Stevie's team right there would fit well in the Donkee League.:coffee:
I'll take it Thumbs up
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next