Messi having better goal scoring season than Müller or Pele ever had.

+19
stunt
DuringTheWar
Albiceleste
Zealous
billionmillion
Dutti
Ganso
Valkyrja
Yuri Yukuv
rwo power
kiranr
dronte
Vapotrini
FoulerHorse
VivaStPauli
bayernfan2785
ÖMARz
fatman123
Harmonica
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Messi having better goal scoring season than Müller or Pele ever had. Empty Messi having better goal scoring season than Müller or Pele ever had.

Post by Harmonica Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Messi has now same amount of games, that Gerd Müller had in his record braking season. Noticeable is also that Müller's season lasted 339 days, where as Messi have to had play the same amount in 234 days.

Era adjusted statistics:

Messi having better goal scoring season than Müller or Pele ever had. Di-KYGM

Era adjusted Messi has 10 goals more in same amount of games that spanned 100 days less than Müller's.

:bow:

EDIT: btw, here is Pele's best season (66 goals) era adjusted, I did this when Messi had played 46 games:

Messi having better goal scoring season than Müller or Pele ever had. Di-4ZG0

Last edited by jiopsi on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Messi having better goal scoring season than Müller or Pele ever had. Empty Re: Messi having better goal scoring season than Müller or Pele ever had.

Post by fatman123 Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:21 pm

era adjusted scratch

seems like your pretty good with stats though, want to do my stats assignment for me?
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Messi having better goal scoring season than Müller or Pele ever had. Empty Re: Messi having better goal scoring season than Müller or Pele ever had.

Post by ÖMARz Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:22 pm

lmao wtf is era adjusted.

ÖMARz
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by bayernfan2785 Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Yeah.. Messi also > Muller for national team

bayernfan2785
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : FC Bayern

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Meh as I have said time and time again defenders and defences are at the worst I have seen since watching football in the early 90's and still worse than anything I've seen on DVD's/Video/Super 8 back to the 60's....

No way in hell would Messi and Ronaldo be scoring like this against defenders of 5-6-7-8-9-10 years ago.

Whether it's refs not letting defenders get away with anything anymore or just defenders being subpar I do not know, but in either case I don't really rate Ronaldo or Messi's goal scoring expolits.

I mean come on Hunterlaar has scored 42 goals this season ffs.....No offense to him, but seriously lmao

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:59 pm

Messi having better goal scoring season than Müller or Pele ever had. Meme-no
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by FoulerHorse Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:15 pm

So your saying Muller would still be better

FoulerHorse
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Vapotrini Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:31 pm

Crimson wrote:I mean come on Hunterlaar has scored 42 goals this season ffs.....No offense to him, but seriously lmao

Huntelaar, having 42 goals really says it all for me.

Bottom line: CR7 & Messi while great, are both vastly overrated. (best ever to play, best scorers ever, blah blah blah)

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:46 pm

ÖMARz wrote:lmao wtf is era adjusted.
It basically takes into account of average amount of goals scored in per games in the era, and then compares that into a different era.

In Gerd Müller's 72-73 season and competitions which he played, they scored on average 3.91 goals per game, which is about 1.4x more than what is scored now ( 2.8 ). Which then indicates that it was easier to score in the 72-73, or that offence was better than defence on average than now.

Last edited by jiopsi on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dronte Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Vapotrini wrote:
Huntelaar, having 42 goals really says it all for me.

Bottom line: CR7 & Messi while great, are both vastly overrated. (best ever to play, best scorers ever, blah blah blah)
Thumbs up Thumbs up
Totally agree with you.
But seriously, half of today football fans would say CR7 and Messi are the greatest footballers ever... Which really makes me sad.

dronte
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:21 pm

jiopsi wrote:

In Gerd Müller's 72-73 season and competitions which he played, they scored on average 3.91 goals per game, which is about 1.4x more than what is scored now ( 2.8 ). Which then indicates that it was easier to score in the 72-73, or that offence was better than defence on average than now.

That is an excellent stat Jiopsi.

I guess that puts rest to the greater defence myth :vagi:
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Well, unless Messi starts actually scoring for Argentine, too (and mind you, Argentine are one of the big powers of the football world with two world championships, so you can't claim he plays for a hopeless NT and has no chance to shine internationally due to the country he plays for), you can certainly not consider him as good as Gerd Müller. ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:28 pm

Won't disagree with you Rwo right now. But if he continue doing this year after year for Barcelona, i will disagree with you then.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:31 pm

rwo power wrote:Well, unless Messi starts actually scoring for Argentine, too (and mind you, Argentine are one of the big powers of the football world with two world championships, so you can't claim he plays for a hopeless NT and has no chance to shine internationally due to the country he plays for), you can certainly not consider him as good as Gerd Müller. ^^
Müller scored 6 in 5 for his NT 72-73, Messi 5 in 7. I don't think it would change the fact that Messi is having better goal scoring season than Müller or possibly anybody ever had.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:33 pm

jiopsi wrote:
It basically takes into account of average amount of goals scored in per games in the era, and then compares that into a different era.

Jiopsi, what competitions are you referring to when you talk about currently and in Gerd's era? Are they the specific competitions played by those two players or is it all european or all global?
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:34 pm

Yuri Yukuv wrote:
jiopsi wrote:

Jiopsi, what competitions are you referring to when you talk about currently and in Gerd's era? Are they the specific competitions played by those two players or is it all european or all global?
Competitions that Müller and Messi participated only.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:37 pm

If (one of them) Ronaldo, Romario,Muller or Van Basten would have played in this Barcelona, they would score 80/90 goals in a season.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:49 pm

jiopsi wrote:
Yuri Yukuv wrote:
jiopsi wrote:

Competitions that Müller and Messi participated only.

Thats mighty impressive.

I guess this is settled then, as a striker Messi is the best of all times*

*Based on Era Adjusted figures
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:57 pm

kiranr wrote:
jiopsi wrote:

That is an excellent stat Jiopsi.

I guess that puts rest to the greater defence myth :vagi:

Yes lets ignore all other teams that played in that era

1972/73:

While Mullers Bayern scored 93 goals in the league and went onto win the Bundesliga that year, 2nd placed Koln only scored 66, 3rd placed Dusseldorf 62, 4th placed Wuppertaler 62 again

If we move over to Spain, 1st placed Atletico Madrid scored only 49 goals, 2nd placed Barcelona 41, 3rd Espanyol 48 goals, 4th Real Madrid with 45 goals

England?
1st placed Liverpool 72 goals (one of the best liverpool sides ever), 2nd Arsenal with 57, 3rd placed leeds with 71 and 4th Ipswich with 55.

Italy?
1st placed Juventus with 45 goals, Milan in 2nd with 65 goals, Lazio in 3rd with 33 goals!, Fiorentina with 39 in 4th

What about Europe?

Other than Muller who scored 12 goals in the European Cup, who else was there?

2nd went to Bene with 6 goals, 2 other players with 5 goals and then a whole bunch with 3.......

Hardly comparable to the crap goal fest going on in this day and age ffs

I actually have watched games from that era unlike the op and other people opposing my arguments and I can tell you right now the defenders held nothing back and were much more competent and given more freedom than those of today

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:08 pm

Crimson wrote:Yes lets ignore all other teams that played in that era
OP era adjustment takes into account every player and team that played in the competitions that Müller and Messi participated. Era adjustment also takes into account difference in rules, difference in tactics, basically difference in everything.

It indicates that it was 1.4x times easier to score in the competitions that Müller played in 72-73, than what Messi played this season.

Also if you examine Müllers EC goals, you see that even there he had it easier than probably anyone else, they outscored Galatasaray and Omonia 20-1. And then the failed against Ajax 5-2.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:14 pm

jiopsi wrote:Müller scored 6 in 5 for his NT 72-73, Messi 5 in 7. I don't think it would change the fact that Messi is having better goal scoring season than Müller or possibly anybody ever had.
Okay, I'll give you the season Very Happy But my point still stands: he really has to start doing more with the Argentine NT (although, I wouldn't mind if he doesn't do it in the WC2014 Razz).
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:18 pm

rwo power wrote:
jiopsi wrote:Müller scored 6 in 5 for his NT 72-73, Messi 5 in 7. I don't think it would change the fact that Messi is having better goal scoring season than Müller or possibly anybody ever had.
Okay, I'll give you the season Very Happy But my point still stands: he really has to start doing more with the Argentine NT (although, I wouldn't mind if he doesn't do it in the WC2014 Razz).
That's true, this was only about only the best seasons both had, not the whole career. Though I don't think Messi has even peaked yet.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:22 pm

Yeah, Messi is still very young. I just hope he won't have to deal with injuries or even burnout in the future as he really plays a lot of matches every season and he is a number 1 target for press and fans all the time.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:52 pm

btw, here is Pele's best season (66 goals) era adjusted, I did this when Messi had played 46 games:

Messi having better goal scoring season than Müller or Pele ever had. Di-4ZG0

Interestingly Pele's season was on average lower scoring than Müller's.

Also changed the title for more appropriative.

Last edited by jiopsi on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:57 pm

I was going to take this seriously until the adjustment part
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next