Mr Nick09
Le Samourai
BarrileteCosmico
Swanhends
The Franchise
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Interesting parts of Rafa Benitez article Empty Interesting parts of Rafa Benitez article

Post by The Franchise Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:59 pm

As the tactical discussion continues, it's only natural to ask if we've reached the pinnacle of tactical evolution in the modern game. Just how much more advanced can the thinking develop? After all, many of the staples such as pressing, a high defensive line and zonal marking were in fact proposed or instituted by Victor Maslov, famed for his work with Dynamo Kyiv in the Sixties. "It's not the same systems they were using in the past, similar systems but there's now more pace, more intensity," said Benitez. "I remember an article when they talked about the time you had when you received the ball, I don't remember the exact figures but I think it said it was 4 seconds for Garrincha, 3.5 for Cruyff, 2 for Maradona, 1.5 seconds for the lowest etc.
"So it means you have less time and you have to do things quicker, you don't see as many people dribbling and running with the ball because the opposition are on top of you so quickly you have to pass the ball -- nowadays there's more emphasis on collective technique more than individual technique."

The conversation inevitably drifts to what Benitez is looking for in his next management job. He's certainly not been short of offers since leaving Inter, but he's in no hurry and is waiting for what he sees as the ideal project, a team that matches his desire to win trophies and a team that doesn't necessarily have to be in the Premier League. With his daughters happily settled in at school in the Liverpool area, Benitez is accepting of the fact that he might have to move on his own and commute when possible if his next job falls outside England. It's also no secret that Benitez would consider returning to Liverpool if he were ever asked at some point in the future. It's not something he is keen to discuss and he is quick to emphasize his respect for the job that incumbent Kenny Dalglish has done, but there's a sense of unfinished business on Benitez's part, of the inability to complete his project at Anfield.
There continues to be a pervading myth in some quarters that Benitez had vast transfer sums at his disposal during his time at Liverpool. While it's true he spent around £223 million during his six-year tenure, in actuality, according to calculations by Paul Tomkins, author of Pay As You Play, his approximate total net spend was only £62M, a figure that puts Liverpool below the likes of Aston Villa, Sunderland and Tottenham over the same period. The figure drops further to £20.5M (if you include the subsequent sales of all players Benitez bought such as Torres and Mascherano).
"To be fair, everyone has had bad signings," said Benitez. "But if you analyze the current squad of Liverpool -- [Pepe] Reina, [Glen] Johnson, [Daniel] Agger, [Martin] Skrtel, Lucas Leiva, [Dirk] Kuyt, Maxi -- a lot of these players that are doing really well, they were signings that we did. So the people that talk about [Philipp] Degen or [Andriy] Voronin who were free, how you can compare them to the signings of [Fernando] Torres and [Xabi] Alonso? Even with Torres, Alonso, [Javier] Mascherano and the money brought in [with their sales] and still they talk about the other signings, the majority [of which] were not too expensive. "
We debate some of those moves that didn't pan out as planned at Liverpool such as the signing of Dutch forward Ryan Babel in what seems to be Liverpool's never-ending search for a potent winger. "Babel played in a 4-3-3 system at Ajax, " said Benitez. "But he didn't do well as a winger at the end, we were trying to find his best position but it was not going well. Babel was a young player that needed to understand the English game and he didn't." Benitez admits he had searched extensively for wingers while at Anfield, in hopes of replicating his use at Valencia of dangerous widemen Vicente and Rufete. One deal he confirms, which almost came to fruition, was that of Brazilian Dani Alves, then at Sevilla. "Daniel Alves was our first option on the right side," said Benitez. "The problem that we had -- I had to decide to bring Alves as a winger when he was an offensive fullback. It was a difficult decision as we had money at the time for only just one striker or a winger/fullback. We signed a striker, the striker was Kuyt, who to be fair has turned out to be a fantastic contributor to the club."
As for the much criticized sale of midfielder Alonso in the summer of 2009, Benitez explains that his plan had been to bring in both Alberto Aquilani and Stevan Jovetic. "Jovetic was our target but we didn't have the money," said Benitez. "My idea was to play Mascherano, Lucas, [Steven] Gerrard, Aquilani -- two of these four players in the middle and Jovetic between the lines, but we didn't have the money."
In theory, weren't the funds from the sale of Alonso more than enough to cover the purchase of both Aquilani and Jovetic? "You are right. In theory," is Benitez's response.

The other stick which is often used to beat Benitez with is his relationship, or supposed lack of, with players. Too cold, too dour, too calculating say those same critics. It's a gross misrepresentation if ever there was one. In person, for those who know him, Benitez has always been warm and friendly. He explains his philosophy thus. "Normally the manager has to do his job, he cannot be the close friend of the players, it's an old style that does not [necessarily] work now. You have to do your job, you have to improve your players, you have to teach them, you have to coach them properly. At the end they will realize and see the difference. You cannot say there's no relationship -- every day we train, you can see managers that don't train for 3-4 days. I train every day with my players and talk to them every day, trying to improve them. "
As for not getting along with players, Benitez says it's simply not true and reels off a list of players he's still in close contact with, including several stars who some media outlets have falsely claimed to be estranged from him. Benitez might not text his former players as frequently as certain other managers do -- largely out of respect to their current mangers -- but as he shows me, he's clearly viewed fondly by many of his former charges.
By now, Benitez is running late to pick up his daughters from school -- as he's dashing out the door there's only time for one last question, one that has bothered the masses who've been reading the tactical blogs on his website. Why then does he include the goalkeeper when he's mentioning formations, why 1-4-2-3-1 instead of 4-2-3-1?
"I was saying 4-2-3-1, but if you go to coaches' schools they say 'oh you have to play with a keeper,'" smiled Benitez. "I've also had this conversation with some goalkeeper coaches and they all say 'listen, the keeper also plays' so I have to say it to keep all the goalkeepers happy!"

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20120322/rafa-benitez/#ixzz1qGpwHsvr
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Interesting parts of Rafa Benitez article Empty Re: Interesting parts of Rafa Benitez article

Post by Swanhends Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:39 pm

god I love Rafa

Nothing but respect for the dude, great football mind...his stuff is fascinating to read
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Interesting parts of Rafa Benitez article Empty Re: Interesting parts of Rafa Benitez article

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Went for Kuyt instead of Dani Alves, doesn't regret it

Like a bus :bow:

I thought it was very interesting the point he made about the amoutn of time people get on the ball nowadays.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Kuyt....despite his alarming averageness, has been an amazing buy from Rafa.He has done Liverpool proud.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:41 pm

i think i could have read 3 more pages of that interview. Great football mind, i hope he finds a club soon. If a 3rd club was rising in Spain via outside investment, in a larger way than Malaga, he would be the man to lead it. Spanish football need people like him.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Painted as the pantomime villain with Inter for no good reason other than he wasn't Mou. It was shameful and disgraceful honestly because he's such an excellent tactician.

Great read, Dani.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:57 am

Inter played genuinely entertaining football when Benitez was in charge, before he lost the entire squad to injury, and even then they were nowhere near as painful to watch compared to Ranieri's side. I hope a side does invest time in him in the near future, I'd even like an Italian side to give him another chance, though I can only think of Lazio as a side who might just interest him, unless Guidolin leaves Udinese.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:18 am

rafa :bow:
pretty much rules out a move to chelsea when he said he wants to be given time in his next job
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:25 am

So charismatic.
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by JAY-Z Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:40 am

Rafa is class.
JAY-Z
JAY-Z
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:48 am

Sad

meanwhile unai emery - "we lacked intensity"
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:13 am

Wow... so glad people are finally coming around to what I've been saying for years. It only took two nonsense sackings and near-Administration for LFC to make people understand the larger issues.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:19 am

----------Mascherano--------Gerrard------------

xxxxx------------------Jovetic------------xxxxx

-----------------------Torres--------------------

With Aquaman and Lucas as depth.....

Niiiice
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:21 am

The Franchise wrote:

----------Mascherano--------Gerrard------------

Silva-----------------------------------Mata
------------------------------Jovetic--------
-----------------------Torres--------------------

With Aquaman and Lucas as depth.....

Niiiice

:bow:
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:49 pm

You never know what you have until it's gone :bow:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:07 pm

but why wouldnt coaches build good relationships, personal relationships, with the players? why?
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigole Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:19 pm

The Madrid One wrote:but why wouldnt coaches build good relationships, personal relationships, with the players? why?

This is something you will learn when you get older and have to administer people. When you are an employer you can't have a personal relationship with the employees. You have to treat then good, but you shouldn't be their friend.
Tigole
Tigole
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Tigole wrote:
The Madrid One wrote:but why wouldnt coaches build good relationships, personal relationships, with the players? why?

This is something you will learn when you get older and have to administer people. When you are an employer you can't have a personal relationship with the employees. You have to treat then good, but you shouldn't be their friend.
Well that's debatable specially the part where you state that you shouldn't be their friend. Different things can be applied to different situations, and i personally believe that every manager and coach should build at least some kind of good relationship with their players, where trust and respect is garnered, whether they are "friends" or not.

Look at what happened to villas boas and a whole lot of other managers, from what i have read a big part in the decision of his firing were probably his players. You don't have to be their friends but if you can't build something good enough in which you can co-exist then the work might not reach it's true potential.

So that's what i meant when i asked the question, didn't really mean "oh why don't they all just become friends", just want to make the point that to be successful i think some kind of good relationship is needed.

The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Valencia should sack Emery and go for Benitez.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:10 pm

somebody send this to Dalglish..

I know we got Wenger who can be tactically naive, but Dalglish's technicalk errors sometimes makes Wenger look like Mourinho
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:23 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Benitez mainly because of his time at Inter, but seeing how things never changed after he left it can be said that his failure wasnt entirely his fault. One can argue that Leonardo surpassed Benitez when he took over but then again Inter signed 4 new players that winter and Leo had a healthier team at his disposal.

Benitez came to Inter with new ideas, and if the reports are correct, and i have a reason to think they are, he was promised 3 signings that never came, and that fractured the relationship with the management. However it can also be said that Benitez was too stubborn for his own good, electing to implement his own ideas on a squad that wasnt ready for them. Maybe it was the shadow of Mourinho, but then again Mou played in the shadow of Mancini in his first year and dropped his fav 433 formation after just a few weeks when he realized it wouldnt work, something that Benitez failed to do and he paid the price for it.

Another concern was Benitez's relationship with the players, once things started going south everyone started complaining, Eto'o wasnt tracking back and chivu was complaining about it, something you'd never see under Mou, and the senior players were so indifferent and unmotivated that i was painful to watch. It's true that Inter had huge injury problems, but we lost a home game against Brescia with 7 triple winning starters for example and it wasnt because of tactics but because no one really cared.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Interesting parts of Rafa Benitez article Empty FIFA interview with Benitez

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:46 pm

Not sure if these had been posted or not, but I thought I'd share:

Part 1 http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1608542.html
Part 2 http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1608576.html
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:09 pm

nice read as always, if he was playing a more attractive brand of passing football he would be by far my favorite coach because it's so easy to buy into the things he says and the way he expresses his ideas.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:12 pm

"I’ll be watching with my wife and I’ll say ‘goal’ then two seconds later it’s a goal. Because you can see the positions of the defenders, the winger may be free or the full-back goes late or something like that. So without thinking too much, you are just analysing."

:bow:

"I was an admirer of AC Milan, when they were playing with [Marco] van Basten and [Ruud] Gullit and all these players, with [Arrigo] Sacchi as the manager. They were doing really well, they were very dominant at that time. Barcelona has been more or less the same, and you can see now Bayern Munich or sometimes [Manchester] United or Real Madrid can challenge. I remember Real Madrid was a fantastic team and they couldn’t do anything against AC Milan so it was a big difference. But Barcelona are a great team to watch."

Interesting

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Nice read. Rafa's such a boss :bow:
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next