10 Years Ago Today...

3 posters

Go down

10 Years Ago Today... Empty 10 Years Ago Today...

Post by ErPupone Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:42 pm

On this day 10 years ago, June 17th, 2001, Roma conquered their 3rd scudetto. This day is very special to all Roma fans around the world and has been the center of discussion on all Roma websites and Italian newspapers. Here's an article from Corriere Dello Sport recognizing this date:

"It's the happiest day of my life, the day I've been pursuing for a life-time." These were the words of Francesco Totti on the day of Roma's third Scudetto. It was the 17th June 2001 when Braschi whistled the end of Rome-Parma, triggering the riot of yellow and red flags. Ten years ago it was another Italy, another world. There were the Twin Towers and life seemed more secure.

Franco Sensi was enjoying the triumph. He thought his father who had founded the team seventy-four years earlier which he now led to the Scudetto. "A win against all odds," he said. And again: "We fought against the powerful, beyond all our strength." That day he was happy, he had built a squad and handed it to Fabio Capello: Batistuta, Emerson, Montella, Cafu and... Totti. It was a strange season: it started off badly, winning the championship in the end. "Winning in Rome is not easy and the league seemed to never end," Fabio Capello later explained. The Romanisti will remember this forever.

I'll be posting some more articles as the day goes on.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

10 Years Ago Today... Empty Re: 10 Years Ago Today...

Post by ErPupone Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Francesco Totti writes for "Il Romanista". On the front page, the giallorossi captain relives that extraordinary day of June 17, 2001. Here is an excerpt:

"On 17 June 2001, I cried, and I had never done so before over football. For my Roma. When the referee whistled the end I hugged my friends, I felt the embrace of so many fans, I seemed to embrace the whole of Rome. Then I embraced my friend Vito and I cried. At that moment I let myself go, after one season, after eighteen years dreaming of the scudetto, after all that had passed and what every Roma fan dreamed of.

I have vivid, yet confused, memories of that game. At the Olimpico all you could see were flags. The 17th of June 2001 was the happiest day of my career, one in which I realized my dream as a child, the dream for every boy who cheers for Roma: to win the Scudetto with this shirt, in my stadium, scoring the goal in Curva Sud

I will never forget June 17th, 2001, I will never forget the people celebrating, have memories and feelings that I carry with me all the time. Only Romanisti could understand it. In no other place and with no other team could I have had the same thrills. And that's why before I quit I want to live another day like this. So beautiful it makes you cry. "

Last edited by ErPupone on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Eusebio Di Francesco, Italian champion with Roma in the third scudetto and currently coach of Pescara, issued some statements to ReteSport about that triumphant year: "Memories from the 2000/2001 season? We started very badly with the protests after the elimination from the Coppa Italia, but we were able to recover as the season went on. When we knew we could win the Scudetto? After the game in Turin, the 2-2 comeback with the goals at the end by Montella and and Nakata, we knew we could win to win. The difference was the spirit of sacrifice of the group, everyone was always ready, even those who played less. Montella himself scored made ​​many goals despite often starting from the bench. Batistuta who had just arrived always said that he moved clubs to win. Without Capello would we have won anyway? I think not. In hindsight it is easy to speak but Capello arrived at the right time with an important team in terms of quality. He brought to Roma that rigidity in leadership that at the time was missing, and laid down the rules for managing a team and it is sometimes more important to manage the team than to train it."

Di Francesco vs. Napoli 4-0 (Roma-Napoli 6-2, 1997-98)

Fabio Capello spoke to the microphones of Skysport24 to comment on the 10 year anniversary of Roma's last Scudetto. "The championship 10 years ago? Good times, good memories. I remember those moments and remember the concern about the early invasion of the field, concerned that something would happen and that we would lose the game by default. Then, finally, the great satisfaction of winning the league. It was a long ride, in which we were always the protagonists. From that time I still remember that the year after the victory, the whole road leading from the Raccordo Anulare (the main ring highway in Rome) to Trigoria was colored red and yellow. It was a constant reminder of that victory. I have a memory that is not so positive as well; ten years ago we didn't celebrate the championship right away. I've won a few and usually the team has a celebratory dinner at night. That evening, instead, they were all dispersed throughout Rome. I went to see Montella and Batistuta. Everyone was with small groups of friends to celebrate. This thing I regret a lot because it was the time to be together, instead the team dinner was done two days later. Obviously we had to invite politicians and the like. But two days later I had the opportunity to also celebrate my birthday. Baldini? we have a very good relationship. He is a very capable person who knows football, knows this world, speaks excellent English and proper Spanish. He's one who does not need interpreters to conduct negotiations. He is favoured by this, as well as being attentive to what happens in football."

10 Years Ago Today... _44298714_capello_roma

Giorgio Rossi, historic Roma physiotherapist, spoke to Radio IES. This is his memory of the Scudetto in 2001:

"It's a beautiful day today, which brings me back to 10 years ago. I remember that the fans wanted to take away my first aid bag as well! It was a beautiful day, I was afraid at the time of the invasion of the pitch but fortunately the referee was sympathetic. I would have liked the players to go around the field but the joy of the fans was overwhelming. Some took a clump of grass, some took the players' clothes, even the goal posts! As we say in Rome, "Se so' Zottati tutto!" (laughs). I want to thank Mrs. Sensi for the beautiful words she addressed to me in public this morning. I remember an anecdote: the bus carrying the team was called "Frama", Mrs. Sensi then turned to the President saying: "You see, even the coach hass our name: Frama, Franco-Maria!" The decisive game of that year I think was the one in Parma, with two goals from Gabriel Batistuta. Even the game in Napoli was very difficult, Capello did not start Montella. The best goal? Surely Totti at the Olimpico against Parma, while the most emotional was the Captain's goal in Napoli."

10 Years Ago Today... Giorgio_rossi

10 Years Ago Today... 71716_158885597484045_107030256002913_285596_1378095_n

Damiano Tommasi spoke about his memories of the Roma which won the Scudetto ten years ago to Sky Sports.

"The stadium was full of banners two hours before the game: an unforgettable image. I never let myself go, I have a pretty quiet character. There were so many moments, even going to win in Bergamo, it was a big injection of self-esteem. The future of Roma? We still stand by, we talk a lot, but Roma will start from a good base. Ten years ago we won thanks to the collective, then if there are champions it's. The spirit of the reserves contributed much, the level of training was very high also thanks to them, they helped build a strong group: Nakata, Di Francesco, Gigou ... then Capello's skill is undeniable, he helped keep the group together."

Tommasi vs. Milan (2-1, 2002-2003)
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:49 pm

On the day of the tenth anniversary of the Scudetto giallorosso, Vocegiallorossa.it has interviewed some of the players from that memorable season. Here are their memories of that June 17th, 2001.

Eusebio Di Francesco: "Ten years have passed and the memory of that day is getting stronger. I hope that the fans can savor the emotions that we experienced first-hand."

Di Francesco vs. Inter 4-4 (4-5, 1999)

Vincent Candela: "It was a special day, both on and off the field: from Trigoria to the stadium, everything was full. We saw a great passion, a unique souvenir at the human level, and in sports. As a Roma fan I wish great luck to the new management, the coach and players. I will go to the stadium as a fan, as always. "

Candela vs. Bari (4-1, 2000-2001)

Gaetano D'Agostino: "I have lived that day intensely, I have wonderful memories. Then the party at the Circus Maximus was wonderful. I wish Roma reach the summit of European football and a future always at the top."

10 Years Ago Today... Gaetano-d-agostino-roma_3455823_980x735
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Rosella Sensi spoke to the microphones of "Te La Do Io Tokio" on Centro Suono Sport today to commemorate the Scudetto won exactly 10 years ago.

"Today I'm thinking of my father more than on other days. That day the president was not still even for a moment. It was a day to remember for the whole family and for all Roma fans. I'm glad that we could remember my father on such a special day. Today I miss him more than other days because I know how he wanted to give the Roma fans a championship. After the game he felt ill, he had not slept the night before. I remember everything about that day. He was a fan, he was one of us, he was a strong supporter of the club and today is a good day to remember Franco Sensi. On the evening at the Circus Maximus he was speechless, he was moved in front of all those people. If we had won the championship two years ago it would have been Franco Sensi's as well. I continued what he wanted; he took Roma while it was in dramatic conditions and brought it to the Scudetto. My hope is to be able re-live those moments in the future. It was an incredible emotion, what I saw that evening is the beautiful part of football. This is the memory that I will keep forever and will keep close to me with a lot of emotion. Was I like my father? No, you can't compare me to him; he created a great Roma bringing it to be one of the best in Europe. I did my best, many have not understood it. I wish the best of luck to who follows me.

Her June 17th?

"We are a family. Even two years ago there was Franco Sensi. I feel like a former president, even if I am closing a number of formalities. My June 17th is the one of 10 years ago. If we had won two years ago it would have been Franco Sensi's because it was he who began something magical with this club. He took it in a critical condition and made it grow. I think I've continued what he wanted, despite what was said, to sometimes even in improper manners. Everything has been done to continue what he wanted. My June 17th is June 17th, 2001. I hope to be able to re-live it in some way. "

The emotions during the hugs with the players at the end of your last game as president?

"It was a great emotion. Right now we talk about so many bad things that belong and do not belong to football, even though now I do not want to comment on those issues. What happened that evening is the beautiful part of football. In football there is so much professionalism but in that slice of time we saw the part of human relationships. There were not players on one side and the president Rosella Sensi on the other; human relationships were built over time. It's a memory that I will preserve, like many others which were not seen in public ... To conclude, I can not compare to what my father did, even if I did it with great intensity, though at times I was not understood ... but I do not care because I did what I felt I had to do, but also making mistakes, but who does nothing does no wrong. I did everything with great love, but I cannot be compared to my father who had made a new Roma, a great Roma, at the height of the biggest in Europe ... and what Franco Sensi accomplished will remain in the history of Roma. Then let the future speak for those who will make Roma just as great, because you have to allow others to work; history is made of facts and the others will do it and I hope they do with all my heart. "

10 Years Ago Today... 1306283321433_f

Rosella Sensi on Sky Sports:

"The night before was a unique experience, my father was worried and was walking all around the house. After the game we celebrated so much, but in the end he felt ill and we could not celebrate as much as we wanted. But then he recovered and in Rome they celebrated so much. Today is a wonderful day of memories, my father went to all neighborhoods to celebrate with the fans. The game in Turin was as important due to the comeback. The draw in Napoli stopped us and we were a little down. I'd like to remember Francesco Totti, who always stayed no matter if we won or lost. My father took Rome in a critical moment and re-evaluated it. I remember Batistuta, Montella, but also Di Francesco, Mangone, all players not mentioned but who kept the group together. The calmness of Tommasi? He gave us so many smiles, he was a professional and kept his nerve, but at the moment to rejoice he did so just as we all did. My father said: "I did it, I gave joy to the fans." He wanted to give much joy to the fans. The support of the fans is huge, in Rome you win more and more. Before 1993 I lived as a supporter and now I will continue to do so. My grandfather founded it, my father always said that we live and breath Roma."

10 Years Ago Today... Sensi_Totti

Maria Sensi also spoke to the microphones of Radio IES to remember, 10 years later, the third title of AS Roma. These were her words:

"Of June 17th, 2001 I have wonderful memories but also a lot of anxiety. Franco was thrilled, the coach wanted to celebrate that night but he was exhausted, went home in a cold sweat. He was happy. Franco had the title in the pipeline for several years, that June 17th was the culmination of a dream and long and hard work. I remember Franco's concern, he was horrified that they could Roma would've been given a defeat on paper following the invasion of the field by the fans. I think that the walk to the Circus Maximus was Franco's most beautiful experience during his presidency, he lived a happiness beyond description. My joy will always be to see Roma win, even if we leave the scene we will always remain one of the first fans of the team, like all my family. In greeting you I want to congratulate all the Romanisti, because today is their, our, party!"

10 Years Ago Today... Maria-sensi-franco-sensi
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:28 pm

Beautiful stuff, Mike.

I had a feeling that if I waited until you came on to post on this, you'd do a bang up job and so it turns out I made the right decision. Keep it up, brah.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks Neal Very Happy . After a bit of research I managed to find an article from Gazzetta from June 17th, 2001. It's a nice read which will definitely bring back memories. I translated it for you guys:

Beating Parma Stadio Olimpico, the Giallorossi win the third title in their history. The long wait at the Olimpico, the joy at the final whistle of Braschi, the emotion in the locker room amd the president who promises: "I will go to the Pope with a Roma jersey".

10 Years Ago Today... 497731--346x212

ROME, June 17, 2001 - They cry, they hug each other, they embrace each other. Then they cry and embrace each other some more. And Venditti sings "grazie Roma che ci fai piangere e sognare". Now it's not a dream anymore. They're crying, singing and dancing and they are all beautiful. Or almost. Not the ones that invaded the pitch and then are rejected (so to speak) and then come back in and do somersaults. Inside the Olimpico, huge, wonderful, colorful. There is also a certain air and a bride all dressed in white, with a veil and long dress. The bride of the scudetto goes to Franco Sensi and hugs him. They get face to face for the photographers. It's all shown on the screent. Beautiful because she is the face of the Scudetto. Even Sensi is beautiful, er presidente, who on this day seems taller. Champions of Italy at the fortieth minute of Roma-Parma.

THE FINAL WHISTLE - Braschi blows a whistle and it's a small, weak, almost imperceptible whistle. A whistle for a foul in midfield with all those in Rome with the title in their eyes and heart. A whistle. But they all hear it, feel it, absorb it and respond to the call and run onto the field, with flags and scarves. Braschi lifts his arms. No, it's not over. Out. And now who will get them off the field? The match is suspended. Announcements, calls, invitations, entreaties. The giallorossi fans are an octopus which spreads and throws himself on the champions. Antonioli is inside his net, undressed in under ten seconds, naked, with only his underwear. They take off his shoes, socks, tights, gloves, shirt and undershirt. Naked, bent in shame. Buffon is in front of his goal, practically nude as well. What does he have to do with anything, what did he win today? He could become the new keeper of the Italian Champions, could become. Practically naked, like Antonioli. They cover his shoulders with a red and yellow flag. The speaker orders the evacuation. "You're spoiling the party," said the speaker. And Fabio Capello screaming like a madman pushes them out and shakes his hands. Five minutes are left, five minutes. It's 3-1, it's the scudetto and if those do not go away it'll become a problem. The curvas are chanting big choruses and trying to drive them onto the sidelines: "You are all Laziali!" Then the game starts again, tic and toc, Totti who jumps and runs happily while the game is still on, the captain of his wonderful Roma. The ball spins, but everyone looks at Braschi, who pretends not to look at his watch, but is thinking about it. When is he going to whistle? He does it when no one is running anymore and the time is up. A headlong rush with arms raised. Now the invasion is massive and the Olimpico is a single color and becomes a place of hugs and tears. They strip, fans, and throw up their shirts and everything else they're able to throw. Even pieces, shards of the goal posts and scraps of netting. Naked. And will Sabrina [Ferrilli] strip down as she said? Who cares, there are nearly naked people everywhere on this festive day.

FROM THE LOCKER ROOM - Look at the scoreboard, the TV broadcasts the locker room live. Batistuta is jumping on a bench, buckets of water and champagne are flying. Bati sings and the people following him. The faces filled with happiness. Antonioli's teeth are happiest and largest of the league. One has his arm around his neck, apparently in a cast. Who is it? Zago? It's the most beautiful arm in the league. Montella makes faces at the boards. Capello, now, finally has his jaw relaxed. It's about time, Fabiuccio, relax, it's your fifth Italian league title. Do not say that the "most beautiful is always the next one." In the locker room they're all singing and dancing live. The smiles of Cafu, Nakata's amazement, the forced happiness of those who have never played or nearly so. All still live on magical display. The lawn of the Olimpico becomes a bivouac, some are digging in with their hands and pulling out clumps of the championship grass and putting it in their pockets. Some are exhausted and collapse and close their eyes and hope that this day, this night will never end. Then comes Sensi who puts his hands to his mouth and shouts his joy. What's er presidente saying? What does he have to day? Venditti is still singing Grazie Roma and everyone starts to cry again. It's a cry that's been held back for eighteen years and that is even more beautiful, stronger. Outside the people climb aboard scooters with trumpets and flags. The evening is young and sweet, the water of the Tiber, in the Flaminio area, in front of the Olimpico seems clearer and more poetic. A boy waves a flag with slogans incorporated: "The championship is not beautiful if there are disputes. Montella make your peace with Capello." Cute, childlike. Should we exaggerate? Beautiful.

SENSI'S JOY - It is not strange that the president Sensi is being in presented in the press conference while being all wet. More surprising, however, is the image of his earthy face and a voice broken up by a deep emotion. "Excuse me - he starts - so much stress. I dedicate this success to my parents. I think of my father, who taught me how to play football. The most critical moment of the season? In Napoli, and for the whole week that followed. A declining? Only a fatality. If the barrier had been made a better, we would have won before. But I want to thank Parma. A true antagonist. I feel good. I had so much trouble, but this Scudetto makes up for a lot of bitterness. I can not say that we were helped by the press, especially the local one (to Rai he said: 'You have followed us, but not courted us.' We hope to reach a level playing field for Roma). I remember the protests, which were also personal. But even I do not forget the sacrifices of the fans. For example, a trip of 1200 kilometers in Germany (against Karlsruhe, ndr) at the time of Mazzone, where we lost 3-0. I live football intensely, first as a player, then as a fan and a president. That's why I say that the people have every right to rejoice. Fear of the disruption? No. Braschi was good and then there were only five minutes left."

THE MERITS - Emotion, in fact, leads him also in the distribution of the merits. "For the strength and demonstrated ability, I give Capello 90% of the merits. And 90% of the merits I also give to the team. I am a logical person, with a degree in mathematics, but the suffering is so great - he says with a smile, as if to justify this arithmetic violation -. What is there of mine in this? Little and everything. Montella? It will just be a question of sitting down and of doing the math. Capello says that winning in Rome is difficult? No, it's impossible ". After paying tribute to Juve and Lazio ("Two big cclubs"), he returns to the Scudetto. "Was Totti's goal the one of happiness? Maybe the one of Montella. In fact, every goal was a relief. Nakata? He will stay. We're restraining him. This is a great team, with great personality, always ready to rise again. It's not for nothing that we were in the lead from start to finish. In Turin, the decisive game? I don't think so. The greatest joy of my life? Extra-familial yes, but you can not make comparisons with the birth of children or other ". The future to be determined. "On Saturday we want to organize a party, but now I just want to go to sleep, even if I don't know if I'll be able to. Tomorrow morning I will ask to meet the Pope, I intend to keep my promise to bring him a Roma jersey with the Scudetto. It is a commitment made in the jubilee year: now I want to do everything possible to be faithful to my word. When we will have this meeting depends on the Vatican. For the rest, I hope that Roma will integrate itself well in the national media. If we remain as now, we will be well received throughout Italy."

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/SerieA/Squadre/Roma/Primo_Piano/2008/08/18/sensiscudetto.shtml

Also, here's a short documentary of the match against Parma by Rai Tre:

ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Bateman Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:05 am

Great work Mike...
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:04 am

The Fonz wrote:Great work Mike...

Thanks, hope you guys enjoyed the read.

PS- Candela's goal I posted is pure class. And the noise on Totti's is something special as well.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down