Which Barça players of the last 20 years could be a starter today?

+7
braylann
alexjanosik
jibers
Jack Daniels
Ganso
Khaled
free_cat
11 posters

Go down

Which Barça players of the last 20 years could be a starter today? Empty Which Barça players of the last 20 years could be a starter today?

Post by free_cat Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:01 pm

I was talking with a friend about the low level of the Champions league (9 of the teams at 1/8 are a joke), but then we also considered that maybe you can see it the other way around and it's Barça that has improved a lot and the other teams have not followed (except maybe Madrid these last 3 seasons).

Then we wondered how many Barça players of the last 20 years, since 1990, could play in our team, either be starters or play usually.

Your thoughts?

Ps. I think players like Marquez, Henry, Ronaldinho, Eto'o or Toure, who formed part of the current team and left so recently, shouldn't be considered in the discussion.

Last edited by free_cat on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Which Barça players of the last 20 years could be a starter today? Empty Re: Which Barça players of the last 20 years could be a starter today?

Post by Khaled Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:15 pm

Ronaldinho, Rivaldo/Eto'o/Ronaldo & Guardiola maybe for Busquets Razz

Koeman? or Pique?
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Which Barça players of the last 20 years could be a starter today? Empty Re: Which Barça players of the last 20 years could be a starter today?

Post by Ganso Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:28 pm

-Messi-Ronaldo-Ronaldinho

:bow:
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Daniels Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:29 pm

Hmm Guardiola probably.. Koeman too. What about Cocu? Very Happy

Not sure what role could Ronaldo play as it's not a good idea to replace Messi lol.

You guys had a lot of great players lol.
Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:37 pm

In my opinion:

GK: There has not been a GK close to Valdes in the last 20 years. Zubi was not enough agile and mobile, too much old school, and couldn't play with his feet. Hesp was good, but not on Valdes level. Others mostly failed.

Defence: Legends of the last 20 years include Ferrer, Sergi Barjuan, Koeman, Nadal, Reiziger and Van Bronckhorst, Blanc or Abelardo.

Legend midfielders include Bakero, Amor, Guardiola, Giovanni Silva, Cocu, De la Peña, Luis Enrique, Laudrup.

There is the most forwards to consider: Stoitchkov, Romario, Begiristain, Rivaldo, Kluivert, Figo, Ronaldo.

In my opinion no defender could start over our current defence. Maybe only Koeman and Nadal could have a shot, but one is too slow, the other not enough a good passer.

In midfield, Cocu could really replace Keita, but would have trouble starting. Guardiola is inferior to Busquets, was too weak defensively and couldn't drible or keep the ball as Busi. Laudrup was a great player but couldn't really start over Iniesta or Xavi, although he could have options playing as a forward, but that's the line where we could pick more past players, so he is out. Luis Enrique would always have a chance to play thanks to his all around versatility.

Finally, in the attack, we could really pick two players who on paper are better than Villa/Alexis/Pedro, in the wings: two of the 3 Stoitchkov/Figo/Rivaldo. Romario and specially Ronaldo were awesome, but they aren't better than Messi, I wouldn't replace him. (no change of positions allowed for the discussion).

So in the end, from the last 20 years, IMO only Stoitchkov and Figo/Rivaldo could walk in our 11. Luis Enrique would probably play a lot thanks to his versatility. And Ronaldo/Romario are megacracks, but IMO they could only start if Messi wasn't played if we want to keep the same formation.

I'm pretty sure very little teams can say the same.

Ps. As I said in the OT, I think recent players that left shouldn't be considered (Eto'o, Marquez, Ronaldinho, Toure, Henry...).

Last edited by free_cat on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Gg

Last edited by jibers on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Laudrup would bench ini. that's it really.ronaldinho won't have the discipline to start.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:48 pm

jibers wrote:Laudrup would bench ini. that's it really.ronaldinho won't have the discipline to start.

I know you are a great fan of Laudrup, but it's like you didn't watch him play for the Dream Team. He barely played as a midfield, mostly as a fake 9, he wasn't suited for the CM role that Iniesta does, and was always outshadowed by Stoitchkov. When Romario came, he was often in the bench as only three foreigners could play.

I'm a big fan of Pep as a player, but he only had a better long pass than Busquets, nothing else.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Well you are kind of tying my hands there by saying that no change of position is allowed.
But in that case since you also want to keep our current midfield trio how would you accomodate Rivaldo.
Dont think Rivaldo would like playing down the wings.
For my money,Koeman would start over Pique.
I would dearly love to start Enrique but just cant.So he will be first sub off the bench.
You are right free in that Laudrup was a forward and cant get into the midfield.
The midfield remains as it is.It is the greatest midfield the game has ever seen so no need to change it at all.
Forwards is a bit tricky.
As good as Romario and Ronaldo were,Messi is just plain and simple better.
Laudrup as you mentioned was a false nine but he would often interchange with Stoichkov to the left who would go into the center.
So I have Laudrup at LW and I kknow Stoichkov didnt play RW(not his natural position) but I just cant leave him out.So Stoichkov on the right wing.
Hardest part was leaving out Rivaldo but with the rules you have proposed he is on the bench.He was my favorite Barca player before Xavi.
So the current Barca team with Koeman instead of Pique,Laudrup at LW and Stoichkov at RW.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:50 pm

free_cat wrote:
jibers wrote:Laudrup would bench ini. that's it really.ronaldinho won't have the discipline to start.

I know you are a great fan of Laudrup, but it's like you didn't watch him play for the Dream Team. He barely played as a midfield, mostly as a fake 9, he wasn't suited for the CM role that Iniesta does, and was always outshadowed by Stoitchkov. When Romario came, he was often in the bench as only three foreigners could play.

I'm a big fan of Pep as a player, but he only had a better long pass than Busquets, nothing else.

Lol I know, he was an forward/ am. Honestly I think the only one tat is replaceable is villa. The rest are perfect fits.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by braylann Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:32 pm

go back thirty years and we can talk about Maradona in here

braylann
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Levante

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:48 pm

Well I would change formation depending who I select.

I would have (leaving out recent players) Figo, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Koeman, Stoichkov, Luis Enrique, Cocu and Guardiola all in the squd thats for sure.

Rivaldo and Figo or Stoichkov would both start for me, as would Ronaldo, Cocu would replace Keita completely, Koeman normally would replace Pique but his lack of size makes us too small.

Something like this.

Which Barça players of the last 20 years could be a starter today? 293348_F_C__Barcelona

The only thing is, with this formation we need someone to do the same role Busquets did against Madrid. He is probably better suited to that than Pique.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:35 pm

No Ronaldinho? Very Happy
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:49 pm

EarlyPrototype wrote:No Ronaldinho? Very Happy

Op said to exclude him, Etoo, Yaya and guys like that. Makes sense because they were parts of this current group.

Also makes it easier..its already hard leaving guys like Pep, Koeman, Romario out.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:22 pm

I really want to include Romario but there is no place for him in this team while Messi is still here... Sad
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Great insights from cat, alex and dani - wonderful read guys!!!

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum