Ali
CBarca
Ganso
Jack Daniels
milanfan7
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Music this year has been a joke. - Page 2 Empty Re: Music this year has been a joke.

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:50 am

I don't listen to Coldplay much but I really like their old stuff like Yellow and The Scientist. Their big hits.

BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Music this year has been a joke. - Page 2 Empty Re: Music this year has been a joke.

Post by CBarca Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:17 am

That cracked articles made some decent points, but I disagree in some parts.

First of all, you have the fact that the crap from previous eras gets forgotten, leaving only the great stuff behind. Those songs on classic rock stations are obviously cherry-picked as the best and most indicative of an entire era; it's not a random sampling of all the music available at the time. Modern rock or pop stations, on the other hand, have to play whatever's come out in the past six months or so.

While this is a decent point, there are a couple things I have to disagree with.

The crap get's forgotten. I don't really disagree with that, what I do disagree with though, is that all there is right now in the mainstream IS crap. That's exactly the point of this thread, and the whining and moaning about the mainstream garbage music generator that is going on right now. As Juvenelcuore said, Katy Perry has put her name down in history for her (terrible) music that is being produced right now, according to #1 hits, Katy Perry IS the best we have to offer. Among what was in past generations a Beatles, or a Queen, or a Michael Jackson, is now a Katy Perry.

What I'm saying is, among all the crap that would be forgotten, what do we have to remember? Katy Perry. Or perhaps to use a different example, Justin Beiber (in history for most watched youtube videos, I believe? Could be wrong). These people are undoubtedly the most popular artists of the current mainstream music industry.

While there was a helluva lot of crap back then, it was made up for the beautiful music that was created by Led Zeppelin, by The Beatles, by Pink Floyd, Queen, etc. etc.

The second point is that, the best music created right now isn't popular-for the most part. LMFAO's Sexy and I know it, and LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem have 85,760,860 views and 270,721,062 views respectively. The Strokes most popular song ever I think, Under Cover of Darkness has 8,761,998 views. Even Coldplay who is fairly popular, one of their best (albeit old) songs, The Scientist, has 12,453,852 views.

Sad times for music...
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by shinigami99 Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:28 am

Ganso wrote:coldplay is the same thing that is on the radio with pretty lyrics....so much repeating,that Paradise song Mad

That and Every teardrop is a Waterfall(along with Princess of China) only represent "experiments" that Coldplay have tried in pop music to stop being the same as always. With regards to the songs released this year...major minus, moving to mars and Don't Let it Break your heart certainly come to mind as more traditional coldplay(yet still have their own experimentations)

Viva La Vida was one of those experiments and we all know how that turned out.
shinigami99
shinigami99
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:37 am

If everyone here's trashing the mainstream, then where are the guys that make those songs the mainstream?

I don't find Katy Perry that bad, but then again, I am 15 Razz.
But Bieber ... :facepalm:

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Newsflash: Mainstream music has been crap since the 90s, somewould argue even further back than that.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Mainstream music has been shit ever since Michael Jackson turned white.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:57 pm

You guys do know that Youtube is no longer a reflection of how many people are WATCHING the video, but of how much the label is PAYING to get views up right? (Trust me, I do it.)
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:Newsflash: Mainstream music has been crap since the 90s, somewould argue even further back than that.
Omg, I agree with him ... Very Happy

The whole music industry needs a 'back to the routs' campaign. I don't want video clips of ape like dancers or images of cool people, I want to listen to music in the first place! Everything else should be a nice gimmick to increase popularity Very Happy
For people who still don't get. I'm not against new or strange kind of music, I ask for substance Very Happy
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:02 pm

babun1024 wrote:
Immaculate_Mole wrote:Newsflash: Mainstream music has been crap since the 90s, somewould argue even further back than that.

The whole music industry needs a 'back to the routs' campaign. I don't want video clips of ape like dancers or images of cool people, I want to listen to music in the first place! Everything else should be a nice gimmick to increase popularity Very Happy
For people who still don't get. I'm not against new or strange kind of music, I ask for substance Very Happy

Havent we agreed on something before then ? Very Happy
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by •MilanDevil• Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Adele, Hedley and One Republic release good songs most of the time. The thing is that most songs on the radio these days arent unique.
•MilanDevil•
•MilanDevil•
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:48 pm

•MilanDevil• wrote:Adele, Hedley and One Republic release good songs most of the time. The thing is that most songs on the radio these days arent unique.

Only one of those are good, and she is overplayed to the point where I detest her. You know, I liked her when I heard her on the radio for the first time. After time three-hundred over two months, I cannot stand her.

Thanks radio-stations. :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:
babun1024 wrote:

Havent we agreed on something before then ? Very Happy
We usually compromise but don't agree 100% with each other Very Happy Read what I highlighted red Very Happy
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by shinigami99 Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:56 am

This...
IMO nothing can beat the 70s and early 80s. EWF, Donna Summer, Billy Ocean, Bee Gees, and the list goes on and on.

That doesn't mean I HATE everything nowadays( although it means everything except Coldplay and Muse<- and Muse is not really mainstream)
shinigami99
shinigami99
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:32 am

Muse is mainstream enough, AND YOU'RE OOOOOOOOLD.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:34 am

Yeah, most of Bieber's views would be people seeing how bad he is, I think ...

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:47 am

Muse is kinda mainstream, but not a true mainstream band IMO

By that I mean, a helluva lot of the general population knows who Muse is, due to twilight (CURSE YOU FOR RUINING WHAT WAS A GOOD THING), but the majority of those people actually don't listen to them...at all. They know the songs in Twilight + Uprising and that's about that. Of course there are the twilight fangirls that will listen to all the Muse songs that are about love and stuff but, they don't count Razz

I still like Muse and all, and listen to them, it's just...I'm sticking with Origin of Symmetry, Hullabaloo, and Absolution mostly.

Twilight...uuugghhhhhghhghghg :facepalm: :facepalm:
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:35 am

Twillight made Muse more popular, but that doesn't mean that they've gone mainstream Very Happy

Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:27 am

Muse :bow:

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:43 pm

I don't get the whole "oh mah gawd mainstream music is soooo baaad" and then you pull out examples like the Beatles, Muse and Coldplay ... I think they're all boring as hell!

On the other hand, I understand the argument that a lot of music today is simplistic and unoriginal, but that's what happens when you have good technology. With synthesizers and autotune the whole creation is made easy and probably has replaced quality with quantity.

In the end it comes down to taste. I like listening to simplistic up-beat stuff like Guetta's music - I don't like all of his songs, only a handful, but most of the time I'd rather listen to that than bore myself to death listening to the zombies of Pop-Rock (Beatles)!

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:00 am

It comes down to taste.
You're just all old people that don't like new music that isn't what you grew up listening to Razz.

'Classics' bore me :coffee:.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:20 am

Thimmy wrote:Twillight made Muse more popular, but that doesn't mean that they've gone mainstream Very Happy

Great song. All of showbiz deserves a mention alongside Origin of Symmetry and Hullabaloo.

I agree that they haven't gone totally mainstream, but again, listening to the Resistance, it's hard to say that the quality of their music has gone a little downward, and has become a little more...how should I say-easier to listen for the average Joe. Kind of like Coldplay recently, them and Muse are both a ways off of being mainstream, but their music sure isn't what it was like before, if you know what I'm saying.

Perhaps I'm just very nostalgic. Maybe that's why I love the oldies. Never mind, that doesn't make sense, I didn't even grow up with oldies. Ever since I was a kid it's been all crap. Damn it.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:23 am

Coldplay not mainstream?
.__.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:49 am

I kinda disagree with you guys. You are taken your taste in music and applying it to the whole world. If the music on the radio doesn't fit your taste then the whole music industry is just plain rubbish.

That's not really the case.
If you're talking about this year, and only this year, then I might agree with you as bands like The Fray, The Script and OneRepublic still haven't released any of their new albums while ColdPlay's Mylo Xyloto was a bit of a disappointment for me.
But how can we say that music in general has been bad? Maybe you're listening to the wrong stations, but I cannot say that Music has been bad.
When we have Newton Faulkner, Adele, Bon Jovi, Foo Fighters, Snow Patrol, The Fray, The Script, OneRepublic, Train....and so many more. These just happen to be the ones that I like to listen to.

You don't have to like every single song of theirs, and if you look around you'll find that a lot of bands have one or two songs that fit your style. You don't have to like every single song of theirs.

And for the record, I can't stand most of the 70s and 80s songs. It's all personal preference. Just because I don't like them doesn't make them crap. To each, his own. How can you criticize people's tastes in music? Doesn't make sense to me.
Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2