Yeezus
Ali
Wilson37
Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
54 posters

Page 32 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32

Go down

The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread - Page 32 Empty Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post by Motogp69 Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:26 am

If anything, Pjanic for Lamela, and then he can go back to Roma. I would hate for him to end up at the other Milan.

Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread - Page 32 Empty Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post by Busby Babe Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:14 am

What are the thoughts about who will be the next manager? I know Levy wants van Gaal but I think Pochettino would be a good option, the only worry is if Levy would give him a proper chance. I think Spurs are trying to rush everything trying to get into the top 4 as fast as possible, when you can take your time like Liverpool did with Rodgers. You've stagnated, so I think it's worth the risk to get a manager like Pochettino, or De Boer etc. who are potentially world class managers. Backing AVB with £100 mil, and then replacing him with a novice like Tim Sherwood, only a few months after the summer, just reeks of bad planning.

I think there's talent in the Spurs squad and the team is missing an identity. You bought better players than I think is given credit for, and a lot of them are under performing due to the manager.
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:29 pm

If you look back at my previous posts I have never been a fan of the possibility of a Van Gaal appointment as I think it is a high profile disaster waiting to happen. Frank de Boer has always been my first choice and I think he is the manager to build our identity and future along with Franco Baldini.

Admittedly, I have never considered or given the appointment of Pochettino a lot of thought, but I enjoy watching Southampton play so I wouldn't be opposed to his appointment.

First and foremost, we need to determine what is the reason that we create so many individual errors? We are typically a very good team defensively as we saw at the start of the season, but are the individual errors a product of the system, lack of mental strength, or just bad players...

It will be an interesting Summer as there are many things which need to be addressed. I mean look at this lovely list of issues:
1. Need a true starter at LW (Konoplyanka)
2. Need a true starter at LB (at this point I would just be happy to have BAE back from QPR)
3. Need cover for Walker at RB
4. Need depth at CB (still have no idea what Levy was thinking selling and not loaning Caulker, never mind I fully expect to lose Vertoghen to Barcelona)
5. Need to move on the obvious dead weight: Lennon, Dawson, and Naughton.
6. Need to find players or a coach whose system compliments players like Eriksen and Holtby
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:32 am

The thing is, Levy will pull the trigger on Van Gaal as soon as it goes sour, but he will also do some great things. Frank De Boer will come in with the same philosophies, even though he's a bit more of unknown quantity compared to Van Gaal, I think it's well worth the risk.

I think Pochettino is a great option, if you look at the first few months of the season Southampton were in the top 4. It's only when they had gotten injures and around December, when fixtures started piling up, they started to fall and that's more to do with squad depth. He had them punching well above their weight. He's Argentine too, that might help with Lamela.

Finally, I think your individual errors come from first and foremost belief, when Sherwood repeatedly blames the squad they will start to play with fear. Then there's trying to park the bus against Chelsea, which invites pressure and thus individual errors. Also, some shit players, like Dawson, where there is no hope Laughing
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Tue May 27, 2014 9:18 pm

Pochettino it is.

I like Pochettino, so I'm interested in how this will turn out. He's been given a 5 year contract, so that might be an indication he might be given time. Although, it is Levy...

The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread - Page 32 Tottenham-Hotspur-announc-009
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue May 27, 2014 11:07 pm

The Times say he's got £30million to spend.

The board must want him to make do with the Bale signings. Either make them work or recoup some of their fees.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Tue May 27, 2014 11:24 pm

Tbh, I think that's the smart thing to do. It's normal for new signings to make more of an impact during the second season. It would be quite ridiculous to do what they did last summer, again this summer.

Especially since Spurs practically bought a whole new team, it was always going take time for them to gel. Pochettino is good at getting out the most of what he already has, as he did with Southampton.

They're getting linked with Lallana right now, I think they should forget him and play Eriksen as the no.10 and buy left a winger instead. Lallana would also take out a huge chunk out of their budget.
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed May 28, 2014 9:48 pm

Who we end up with largely depend on the style we decide to ultimately go with, given that we could be a very English 4/4/2 squad with natural wingers or we could be an incisive counter attacking squad with the addition of a few players.

I still have no idea what the "Spurs" way is, but I am hoping it is the latter and not the former.

I can't say I wouldn't mind an attacking line of Lallana, Eriksen, and Lamela. Given time that would be the sex.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu May 29, 2014 1:19 am

I'm quite happy with the appointment, I believe Pochettino is the best manager available (next to De Boer) for the type of squad Spurs are. Spurs actually have quite a few technically gifted players right now, and the biggest thing missing was a manager who can get the best out of these players, and have them play incisive, penetrating quick passing up top. That's how you get the best out of Soldado, that's how you get the best out of a player like Lamela, and Eriksen as well.

Dembele is capable though he holds onto the ball too much, and Paulinho is meh technically but I still consider him a player Tottenham should hold on to. It doesn't seem like he's very happy though, but we'll see...we've seen managers convince players before.

I refuse to believe that the players signed are not good enough, they have simply been underwhelming under the influence of a coach that had lost the trust of the management and a new coach that is quite frankly an idiot. Let's not forget the upper management itself has been silly this season. Once things started going bad, it was hard to reverse.

The potential of players like Lamela, and Eriksen are huge. Soldado CAN score goals, and a lot of them (I've seen it!). Paulinho is playing for one of the best NT's out there right now and doing a great job of it, and Dembele has hit high heights before, and we've seen what he's capable of.

Chiriches is class, Vertonghen is too.

Sort out the LB's and RB's, buy one more quality player and I still believe this is a team that can hit fantastic heights under the right manager. I think Pochettino is a great choice. Then again, it could be because he plays the way I prefer Laughing
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:20 am

Motogp69 wrote:If you look back at my previous posts I have never been a fan of the possibility of a Van Gaal appointment as I think it is a high profile disaster waiting to happen. Frank de Boer has always been my first choice and I think he is the manager to build our identity and future along with Franco Baldini.

Admittedly, I have never considered or given the appointment of Pochettino a lot of thought, but I enjoy watching Southampton play so I wouldn't be opposed to his appointment.

First and foremost, we need to determine what is the reason that we create so many individual errors? We are typically a very good team defensively as we saw at the start of the season, but are the individual errors a product of the system, lack of mental strength, or just bad players...

It will be an interesting Summer as there are many things which need to be addressed. I mean look at this lovely list of issues:
1. Need a true starter at LW (Konoplyanka)
2. Need a true starter at LB (at this point I would just be happy to have BAE back from QPR)
3. Need cover for Walker at RB
4. Need depth at CB (still have no idea what Levy was thinking selling and not loaning Caulker, never mind I fully expect to lose Vertoghen to Barcelona)
5. Need to move on the obvious dead weight: Lennon, Dawson, and Naughton.
6. Need to find players or a coach whose system compliments players like Eriksen and Holtby

So we have about a week left in the transfer window. I agree with most of these. Let's see how Tottenham have done. Though I think you left the most glaring omission out- a creative CM/ball-playing CM to play next to Sandro/Capoue. This was Dembele in AVB's first season, but he's stagnated. He's fantastic in the middle third, but he simply isn't good enough in the final third. Reminds me a bit of Wilshere in that respect, though Wilshere is younger and has time to develop and very much CAN be a threat in the final 3rd.

1. True LW- Still needed. Poch played around with Lennon in the role in preseason and he didn't look awful, but he shouldn't start anymore and he's not a LW. Townsend can play there but he's trash. Chadli started there today and looked great, I especially like how he's able to interchange all across 3 behind the striker with Eriksen and Lamela. Very fluid. Personally, I would like to give him the starting LW right now. He's young, he had an unimpressive first season but I think there is a good player in him, we've seen it before. Give him until December to be the starter in this team, and if he can't do it, buy: Rodriguez if he recovers well from his injury, Depay if Tottenham are willing to pay for him, Konoplyanka if the other two don't work out. All 3 have been linked, so it seems that the management at least knows this is a position that will probably need strengthening.

2. Starter at LB. It's early days against QPR and West Ham, but Rose has been decent in these two games and in preseason. Davies presence will force Rose to be on his game, and hopefully we'll see a good Rose this season. If not, Davies is there to take the LB spot. I say this category is clear. Rose and Davies will duke it out for starter and this should get the best out of both of them. Gives great depth too.

3. Yedlin has been bought. Loaned back to Seattle which is necessary, but he's one for the future. In the meantime, Dier looks class at that RB position so far. Cover is good enough, this category is clear.

4. Vertonghen is staying, Dier has been bought, and Chiriches/Kaboul remain at the club. Fryers remains an option (albeit an option far down the pecking order). Though Dawson is moving out (thank god) Tottenham has enough depth here. I pray that Chiriches isn't sold. It seems Fazio is coming and for me that spells the end of Kaboul. This category is clear as well.

5. Deadweight. Sigurdsson was a good squad player but ultimately it seemed he didn't really want to stay and he never looked to break into the team, so his use for getting Davies and Vorm is warranted. Naughton remains (though I can't see him staying when Yedlin comes), Lennon does as well (options too thin up front, needed for back up), Townsend remains.This category is premature as it seems people will be moved. Dawson, Paulinho and Sandro were left out of the matchday squad. Could be a sign.

Dawson has been moved so that's some deadweight out. Carroll has been loaned, and a couple more players look to be cut. This category will be re-evaluated later.

6. Pochettino has done well so far. Let's see if he can continue it. Another category that can be re-evaluated.

Overall it has been a decent window. I think Spurs should expect 1 or 2 players to come in and for 3 or 4 players to move out. Dawson is one, I think Kaboul will be another, I believe that Paulinho MAY be on the way out, and Sandro I think is leaving as well. It IS possible Townsend leaves, but someone would have to be bought to replace him.

I think Spurs bring in Schneiderlin and some scrub, and then either sell Townsend or keep him as a back up and this is a great window. Assuming Schneiderlin comes, I see LW as the only position that potentially will need a revamp/new first team signing.

Personally I'm seeing this window and the next as exciting times. Assuming everything goes well (which is not something you should ever assume with Spurs), I'm not seeing many signings coming in and out over the next couple years. I think Spurs have assembled a very stable and promising base, and have a good mix of experience, youth, and talent. I hope Poch works out and Spurs continue forward with this team and hopefully that stability will yield results. Right now it's about putting on the final touches and letting the team dictate their destiny. There will be some changes of course- striker position is old with Ade and Soldado, and will need replacing, but overall Spurs should have quiet transfer windows coming up.

And I trust stability and patience over anything. This next week will be decisive.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:48 am

I don't think Tottenham are going to buy a CM unless you sell one or two of them first, you've got quite a lot midfielders.

If Townsend is sold, then a winger will probably be bought.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:36 pm

Art Morte wrote:I don't think Tottenham are going to buy a CM unless you sell one or two of them first, you've got quite a lot midfielders.

If Townsend is sold, then a winger will probably be bought.

IMO Sandro and Pauinho are on the way out. At least Sandro is, I think.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:08 am

CB we're back :bow:

Before the window closes I see Dawson and Kaboul gone. There was talk of Chiriches leaving, but Roma have thankfully moved on so we have a young promising back line. Most importantly, Vertoghen appears to be happy under Poch.

In the midfield Sandro is gone. Again, thankfully, Capoue appears to be the clear number one DM for Poch. He provides stability to the back and has arguably been our player of the season so far though his contributions might get overlooked with the performances of Lamela and Dier. Bentaleb's long term position is as a deep lying playmaker/DM and less as a play making CM. He has shown flashes of doing well at both, so I see him getting looks in both positions depending on need and who leaves or who comes in (i.e. Paulinho, Dembele).

Paulinho scored a few big goals last season, but he just doesn't seem to have what we need. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a look at least till December just because I haven't seen what he can do under Poch and while I like Dembele with his constant injuries he is starting to stagnate as a player like Sandro. Paulinho has always been at his best with a fluent and potent attack in front of him which Brazil had in the Confederations Cup but didn't at the World Cup.

Townsend, I just rate the guy. Admittedly, I don't think he is the smartest player but off the bench you need players to take the game by the scruff of the neck and he has no qualms doing that. He could potentially be a star one day, but right now he is the perfect impact player off the bench.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:20 am

Dawson and Kaboul gone

Sandro is gone

Have this already happened? Is there any solid rumors/offers? Or these are just your aspirations?
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:18 pm

Well Dawson is gone for sure. We know Federico Fazio from Sevilla is coming in, and a defender like him isn't coming to sit on the bench all the time. Can't say for sure he'll be a "starter" but he should be starting most of the time unless he really struggles.

With Fazio coming in that leaves: Kaboul, Vertonghen, Fazio, Chiriches, Dier and Fryers all for the CB spot. Capoue can cover as well if really needed. So essentially, one player is going to have to go. This set up should have 4 players who can all start any game played without a big drop in quality (the first 4 listed), then Dier and Fryers are for the future. Dier is staying because he's better RB cover than Naughton. Essentially what I believe will happen is Fazio and Vertonghen will start and Chiriches and Dier will be the back up CB's. Dier will get games on the right, but if needed to play CB he will and Naughton will go to RB. Fryers is there in case of further injuries/an injury crisis.

This means that Kaboul can be shifted out. I'm not 100% sure he will be, but he's been linked away several times and it seems the club is trying to get rid of him.

Sandro on the other hand wasn't even included in the match day squad against QPR and has been linked away all summer. Spurs have 4 players for the 2 CM positions NOT including Holtby who can play there. Spurs are pushing for Schneiderlin and it seems he's going to be taking the starting spot and pushing someone into Sandro's spot (either Dembele or Paulinho), and then Sandro will leave. Sandro has been linked with a move away as well.

Really, the Spurs squad needs some trimmings, and that's why those three make sense.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Motogp69 wrote:CB we're back :bow:

Before the window closes I see Dawson and Kaboul gone. There was talk of Chiriches leaving, but Roma have thankfully moved on so we have a young promising back line. Most importantly, Vertoghen appears to be happy under Poch.

In the midfield Sandro is gone. Again, thankfully, Capoue appears to be the clear number one DM for Poch. He provides stability to the back and has arguably been our player of the season so far though his contributions might get overlooked with the performances of Lamela and Dier. Bentaleb's long term position is as a deep lying playmaker/DM and less as a play making CM. He has shown flashes of doing well at both, so I see him getting looks in both positions depending on need and who leaves or who comes in (i.e. Paulinho, Dembele).

Paulinho scored a few big goals last season, but he just doesn't seem to have what we need. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a look at least till December just because I haven't seen what he can do under Poch and while I like Dembele with his constant injuries he is starting to stagnate as a player like Sandro. Paulinho has always been at his best with a fluent and potent attack in front of him which Brazil had in the Confederations Cup but didn't at the World Cup.

Townsend, I just rate the guy. Admittedly, I don't think he is the smartest player but off the bench you need players to take the game by the scruff of the neck and he has no qualms doing that. He could potentially be a star one day, but right now he is the perfect impact player off the bench.

Indeed we are back. Pre season positivity. I can't wait until the season digresses until Sherwood comes back and I refuse to watch him. Nahh but this season will be a good season.

I am glad as well to see Dawson and Kaboul moved on with Chiriches staying. Chiriches was one of the highlights of the first half of last season for me. The second half was worse, but what can you expect with all the silliness and playing in a chaotic system (or lack thereof) like Sherwood's that would concede goals regardless of who is playing.

I am happy Capoue is #1. He was one of the best players yesterday, and started last season off brilliantly as well. I am concerned about his mobility in games against sides like Arsenal and Liverpool, but we'll see next week how he does against Liverpool. I really like him and I think when playing in a stable system week in week out he will be a great DM. His passing ability is superior to Sandro and his physical strength is a great asset in the middle of the park.

I wouldn't mind seeing Paulinho leave but I hope that he stays until winter as well. He was great at the beginning of last season as well, consistently one of our best IMO. He did well to get into the box and get on the end of things, and he was tenacious in the tackle. As the season progressed these things became less and less prominent. He stopped showing for the ball in the midfield and he rarely passed forward. He didn't do well to get on the end of things and Tim's lovechild was preferred.

I think for him and Sandro, the change of manager was terrible. Sandro celebrated Tim's going publicly, and Paulinho hasn't been the same since AVB left. I think he has quality in him and I would like to see Poch get it out of him, but he just doesn't seem to have the motivation. He was awful vs Limmasol.

Townsend is where we differ. His versatility and directness is useful yes, but I simply think he is trash. Ruins more attacking moves then he helps create, doesn't pass, runs into dead ends, and he has little end product. You may rate him, but I don't. If not for thin numbers up front I'd be screaming sell. Hell, I still would like to sell him if 12m pounds are being thrown Tottenham's way.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:07 am

Now that he is officially gone, thank you for your service Daws, truly a club legend :bow:

The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread - Page 32 Bv-4ARaIcAAFar5
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Who will be the new captain?
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:33 am

I think it will come down to Lloris or Vertoghen. Lloris has been the better of the two and has literally put his life on the line for Spurs. I don't know what else someone would have to do in order to earn the armband.

So my choice would be Hugo Lloris.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:47 am

He hasn't been there for long, but I agree, Lloris does scream out captain the most. As long as the players already see him as a leader, I guess it doesn't matter how long he's been there.
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:04 am

Why is this thread still called Hotspurs and not Hotspur. hmm

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:25 pm

Has to be Lloris for me.

Tottenham team showing that they are still adjusting to the new system and that it will take a while. Attack still too slow, though more fluid. You can tell the team is lacking cohesion (how many of these players actually played together consistently last season?)
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:19 pm

I haven't been following Tottenham much this summer but for me Lloris is likely gone, right?

My transfer market dealings:

Please sell to P$G, get Cabaye in return if possible. Splash a bit of cash, get Schneiderlin. Sell Dembele (or Mason, but better Dembele), to help allow the arrival of Schnederlin/Cabaye. Vorm is a good enough keeper, I'm not particularly worried too much there. Danny Rose I never have really thought is good enough but I can't think of a worthy LB who is much better that would come to Tottenham, and similarly for RB (Walker's injury problems are a scare).

Otherwise, I think the backline really needs stability right now. As much as I question the overall quality, Rose-Verts-Fazio-Walker is not that bad and overall defense is down more to teamplay than individual quality much of the time. This is where Poch needs to prove his worth. Tottenham didn't particularly have TOO many problems scoring goals (though there was an over reliance on Kane) but let in too many. If the team is going to press, the team needs to press better, if not, Tottenham needs to monopolize possession more or drop deeper with numbers. I've always felt that Poch's system was far too mixed and not clearly enough in one direction. Perhaps this is due to a lack of personnel.

And it's true, I think one reason Tottenham conceded a lot is due to a lack of a CM/DM presence, as Dembele/Mason/Bentaleb/Stambouli are not players with that presence. That's why for me, getting the likes of Cabaye/Schneiderlin together in the midfield would be a step in the right direction. Players that can do a job and more importantly can keep possession and distribute it in positive ways, and provide better outlets between the defense and the forward line, something that has been missing since Modric.

My hope is that the only real personnel changes have to be in the CM/DM area and stability in a time where Tottenham has too often not been stable can help solidify the team together into a more cohesive unit. That and a more thorough defensive philosophy on the team, are they pressing relentlessly? Monopolizing possession? Or dropping back, getting numbers behind the ball, and working on the counterattack?

Lastly I think getting a winger that can challenge Lamela/Chadli would be helpful. Wouldn't mind selling Townsend and replacing him with that Konoplyanka guy.

---------------Kane------------
-Chadli----Eriksen--Lamela
----Cabaye--Schneiderlin--
-Rose---Verts--Fazio---Walker
--------------Vorm-------------

:notbad:

Also about Poch, YOU NEED TO BE PLAYING CHADLI, ERIKSEN, AND LAMELA TOGETHER. PLAY THEM TOGETHER. DON'T PUT IN TOWNSEND, DON'T LEAVE OUT LAMELA AT RANDOM TIMES, PLAY THEM TOGETHER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE BEHIND KANE. Thank you.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:22 pm

Also, I miss Moto Sad
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32