kiranr
lenear1030
bloodless
Ali
Iceman
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

It isn't Wenger's fault? - Page 3 Empty Re: It isn't Wenger's fault?

Post by Arquitecto Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:29 am

The Franchise wrote:I dont know how much Hummers go for, but of course I know they are big time gas guzzlers.

But I would think anyone that can afford to buy one, can also afford the gas.

I owned a Hummer H2 SUT and purchased for 45 k euros.

That wasn't the problem.

I sold it last year because it seemed every time I went to a bar, restaurant or anywhere near, that someone had been riding the car on a road trip.

It guzzles gas like space shuttles guzzle space fuel.

Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:37 am

That bad, well shows how much I know. I still dont agree with the overall logic and comparison made to Arsenal and the baord however.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:31 pm

Interesting read, I kinda feel bad for Wenger but then again I don't if I never joined this forum I probably would but without sounding racist or anything seeing all the foreign posts compared to all the English views I hear from all the time kinda make me think yeah let them crash and burn Twisted Evil

Still though I do kinda feel really bad for Arsene, I like him No

The Board had no problem meeting the Juan Mata transfer fee, but once Chelsea let it be known to his agents what they would offer, it blew Arsenal’s contract offer out of the water.

Sounds weird to me 55k was blown out of the water?? Ain't Diaby and players like that on 60??
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Ade wrote:Interesting read, I kinda feel bad for Wenger but then again I don't if I never joined this forum I probably would but without sounding racist or anything seeing all the foreign posts compared to all the English views I hear from all the time kinda make me think yeah let them crash and burn Twisted Evil

The Board had no problem meeting the Juan Mata transfer fee, but once Chelsea let it be known to his agents what they would offer, it blew Arsenal’s contract offer out of the water.

Sounds weird to me 55k was blown out of the water?? Ain't Diaby and players like that on 60??

now who told u Mata is on 55k?????? no way would chelsea offer that little for him
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:16 pm

It's a good share, Iceman, even if not completely true gives a good viewpoint to this situation.

My thoughts:

1. Wenger is stating, in media too, that he wants to buy the right players, not just any players who are somehow good. I fully understand and agree with him. When you spend big, you should be certain that that player is what your squad needs. The market is difficult right now for "Wenger type" of buying.

2. Maintaining a sensible wage structure is absolutely brilliant. It's just that many top teams don't follow as sensible a wage structure as Arsenal do. If you want to stick with your above-average-but-not-crazy wage structure, you will have situations like the Nasri one. Makes success on the pitch a bit more difficult, but really does miracles in preventing your club going down the foolish road where you spend more than you can afford.

3. Keeping your finances stable and somewhat tight may mean some slumps here and there, but I am 100% that if Arsenal continue on the path of their current methods, they will be successful and fine in the long run.
Whether the majority of the fans are happy with that in the present is another matter. It's a bit sad, but many fans want success like they want coffee: instant.

Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:40 pm

The car metaphor is very far off the mark. You need to understand that our wage structure would not support such signings. We might be able to afford paying 150k/week, but then players like RVP will get pissed off because I can assure you that we are not getting any player that is better than RVP. So, to be able to afford such wages without upsetting our players, we must elevate all of the other top players' wages, which is where the problem lies and that is where Wenger is in disagreement with the board (apparently).

Like I said, only last year did we have money to use. The other years, we had to sell players in order to keep up with the debt. Heck, the only reason we were able to reduce it to its current state is because of the highbury apartment sales, not the transfers. Our sponsorships are horrible, because we accepted a payment-up-front with less money in the long run so as to finance the Emirates Stadium. We are many many millions behind clubs like Liverpool and United in the sponsorship department.

I'm not completely ridding him of all the blame, but Wenger is smart enough to know that this current team needs more signings. Wenger always had a model, but he also knew when he had to spend and did so accordingly (Arshavin, Rosicky, Nasri) but all of the players that he bought had wages that would fit into ours.

I don't believe that article is 100% accurate, but I do believe that the board is causing more of a problem than Wenger.
Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:49 pm

1. Wenger is stating, in media too, that he wants to buy the right players, not just any players who are somehow good. I fully understand and agree with him. When you spend big, you should be certain that that player is what your squad needs. The market is difficult right now for "Wenger type" of buying.

The problem with this is that there are plenty of players that would fit our squad very nicely but are seemingly ignored or the club doesn't expend much effort in trying to purchase them. Case in point: Juan Mata would've been a great addition to our squad, but our club only bid a small amount that just never was going to be enough.

2. Maintaining a sensible wage structure is absolutely brilliant. It's just that many top teams don't follow as sensible a wage structure as Arsenal do. If you want to stick with your above-average-but-not-crazy wage structure, you will have situations like the Nasri one. Makes success on the pitch a bit more difficult, but really does miracles in preventing your club going down the foolish road where you spend more than you can afford.

It is nice to have players that aren't earning crazy money (well, by football standards) but it is hindering us from securing the better talent out there. In the past we have lost quality players like Ashley Cole and Matheiu Flamini because the club didn't want to pay them that little bit extra.

3. Keeping your finances stable and somewhat tight may mean some slumps here and there, but I am 100% that if Arsenal continue on the path of their current methods, they will be successful and fine in the long run.
Whether the majority of the fans are happy with that in the present is another matter. It's a bit sad, but many fans want success like they want coffee: instant.

I've been a advocate for our methods for quite a while now since I can see the bigger picture. Us winning trophies does not mean a great deal to me and I always have to cringe when I see Arsenal fans asking for some oil-rich owner to come take us over. I just don't want to see my club go down that path.

However, I believe Arsenal are in a position where they can take a few more risks with its money. There is quite a substantial budget there for them to use and the fact that they have not used it is what is frustrating the fans the most. This conservative, no risk approach is great for ensuring our long term future, but I think the club will ultimately be better off if it took a couple of calculated risks.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:51 pm

imalegend wrote:
Ade wrote:Interesting read, I kinda feel bad for Wenger but then again I don't if I never joined this forum I probably would but without sounding racist or anything seeing all the foreign posts compared to all the English views I hear from all the time kinda make me think yeah let them crash and burn Twisted Evil

now who told u Mata is on 55k?????? no way would chelsea offer that little for him

Hmmm its common knowledge no?? 3M a year or so.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:52 pm

Why would RVP be pissed about the wages when he misses half the matches in a season?
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3