ownership of two or more teams

+2
Thimmy
futbol_bill
6 posters

Go down

ownership of two or more teams Empty ownership of two or more teams

Post by futbol_bill Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:00 pm

What exactly is the UEFA rule re two teams owned by same organization or person can’t play in same competition? I ask this as we have heard lots of questions re this rule, but I haven’t heard of any with regards to Girona and Man City.

It seems almost certain that both Girona and City will qualify for CL next season! Is this rule going to spoil Girona’s incredible season?
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

ownership of two or more teams Empty Re: ownership of two or more teams

Post by Thimmy Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:34 pm

I have no clue what the rules are regarding ownership of multiple clubs. I've also been wondering how the Red Bull clubs operate around these rules, or lack thereof. It might not seem like a big deal to some people, but I'm personally not a big fan of these feeder club systems, and I definitely think they should be regulated to some extent.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:59 pm

This is a good question. I think red bull owns (I don't know the in depth details) like two clubs (that I know of) in Europe, Leipzig and another club. I think you can own multiple clubs, but probably not in the same league as there could be a conflict of interest. Kinda like how if Real Madrid Castilla ever wins promotion into La Liga, they wouldn't be allowed to play in it as long as Real Madrid is still participating. So Castilla would have to go back to the segunda.

It wouldn't be an issue in Champions League (UEFA cup, conference league etc.) because of the knockout non league format. A case of them being in the same group is probably going to be extremely rare, that UEFA will cross that bridge once the possibility happens. Unless its one of those cases of my team loses so your team qualifies which is rare, cup tournaments don't have that big conflict of interest. And if the two teams meet, they'll definitely want to beat each other.

I'm sure Castilla would have loved to beat the Real Madrid senior squad when they met in the copa del rey finals ages ago. In this case its two independent teams with the same owner (not a junior squad), it could spark a rivalry if they meet in Europe. But same league is out of the question.
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:49 pm

I resd yesterday that the rule does exist, ‘if there is same ownership of two teams, they cannot compete in same competition’. Apparently rule was put in to avoid any corruption. But there have been discussions with Cerafin about getting around the rule, specifically in reference to red bull and Radcliffe (ManU and Nice).
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:53 pm

Pretty sure I read on ESPN recently that if Girona were to win the league it would affect Man C's participation if they also were to win the league, hence, likely scenario would have been the boss instructing Girona to not win the league on purpose to make way for Man C, something like that Razz Girona were never gonna beat Real to the title though anyway Very Happy
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:13 pm

The way I understand the rule, the team finishing highest gets to go to the competition and the other can’t. If both finish the same .i.e. 1st, then it’s one in the highest UEFA ranked league, in this case EPL. It seems like Girona will finish 2nd or 3rd unless there is a major collapse. So unless City underperforms, Girona won’t be able to play.

However I would never trust Cerafin or UEFA to somehow change rule.

As to Girona losing on purpose, lol, despite the score they really took it to Madrid in Bernabeu of all places. They definitely are legit IMO.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:19 pm

hmm i don't quite get that. why would city or girona winning have anything to do with each other? they'll both play in UCL, but i bet won't be in the same group and that would be the limit to their interaction. It makes sense in a league format, but not in a cup. As i mentioned Real Madrid have played Castilla in a copa del rey final before. i don't see a big deal in it as long as you the owner(s) have the resources for the project. Owning one club is enough headache on its own.
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:29 pm

The rule says competition, Tito. If City finishes 2nd and Girona finishes 3rd, then it’s city who gets to play, similarly if Girona finishes 2nd and City finishes 3rd, then it’s Girona.

This whole conversation started when ManU ownership was considered either with Arabs or Radcliffe. In the arab case, it was suspected an ownership connection with PSG and with Radcliffe it’s with Nice.

There is one difference with City that is different with the others in that it’s the team org, meaning Man City that not only owns Girona but many teams around globe, they are essentially farm teams. Don’t know if that makes a difference or not.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:05 pm

Red Bull has one team in Leipzig and another in Salzburg yet they both played in the same edition of CL several times.

From what i understand there is a loophole that City Football Group can exploit, by officially owning 49% or less of Girona's shares.

I'm not against farm clubs settled on other continents, but to own a second club in Europe is a joke, only meant to lock young players out of reach from your rivals. But in reality it kills their potential, how many promising players went to Vitesse and never blew up.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:12 pm

Warrior wrote: only meant to lock young players out of reach from your rivals. But in reality it kills their potential, how many promising players went to Vitesse and never blew up.

I actually never thought of this. You bring up a good point. I think it rings true when talking about really young talent. But i think even that is not as easy as it seems. Like a blossoming star of real quality would try their hand at a bigger club than using Girona as a stepping stone to get to City. And even if some do, its kinda similar to players going on loan (not the same thing by any stretch).

I still don't see much wrong with it and maybe that's because its not a common thing. As i said the stress and financial headache that comes with owning one club is crazy enough. Let alone two. And i think that's why there's not much talk on it. But as mentioned above red bull had two teams in European competition and it didn't change nor affect anything and no rules were discussed. Some of us didn't even notice.
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:59 pm

John Textor owns Chrystal Palace, Lyon, Botafogo and Molenbeek.  In an interview, he mentioned that he is not allowed to execute transfers between the clubs that he owns if he intends to be an active shareholder in all of them (which he is).  It is only allowed if his ownership becomes passive in a club.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:41 pm

Here’s a link to a story saying same thing that I was mentioning that Girona likely will not be able to play in CL next year despite qualifying
https://apple.news/ARxfuN8dHRQmGuPCv3uCqqg
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:34 pm

Thanks for the link, I never heard of said rule before
titosantill
titosantill