Who has the best player + coach legacy in football ?

4 posters

Go down

Who has the best player + coach legacy in football ? Empty Who has the best player + coach legacy in football ?

Post by Warrior Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:59 pm

Inspired by the thread about Rooney's mediocrity and how great players don't necessarily become great managers. I looked at a list of best managers of all time and very few of them were elite players.

Cruyff is the first name that came to my mind. Mario Zagallo, Beckenbauer and Deschamps have won the world cup as a player AND manager but i'm not convinced by their case.

In modern times Zidane could be the answer although i remember a lot of complaints from Real fans about his tactical choices back then. Guardiola great legacy in coaching but i don't think he is considered a legend of the game as a player hmm

Xavi might end up in this list if he lasts long at Barca or any top club

Am i forgetting someone ? Fast like that my answer would be Cruyff
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Who has the best player + coach legacy in football ? Empty Re: Who has the best player + coach legacy in football ?

Post by Arquitecto Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:00 pm

Carlo Ancelotti.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Who has the best player + coach legacy in football ? Empty Re: Who has the best player + coach legacy in football ?

Post by Warrior Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:10 pm

Good call

Legendary in both careers

Very prestigious palmares, he won the title in all top 5 leagues as a manager, won several CLs while playing and coaching, he's also a rare person to have won the scudetto with Roma
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:26 pm

I think you will be able to add Xabi Alonso to the list in a few years. He was almost a playing coach in his elite career, just like Ancelotti and literally milked his coaches and he has had some very good coaches, for ideas, strategies, etc.

To me it will be interesting to see what comes about with the following as they all took coaching school classes together about 4 years ago; Xavi, Arbeloa, Guti, Raul, Xabi (there were 3 or 4 others, that I can’t remember). My bet is on Xabi!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:32 pm

After Klopp, Xabi will hopefully join Liverpool in next 2/3 seasons. Manage for few years in EPL, then go to Madrid mat be. I think he will be a top coach.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down