Myesyats
Thimmy
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Firenze
RealGunner
23 posters

Page 7 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 22  Next

Go down

Witcher 3-Part 3 ( Expansion Edition) - Page 7 Empty Re: Witcher 3-Part 3 ( Expansion Edition)

Post by M99 Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:59 pm

Moving on to other things, I can say with confidence Yennefer has been cast. Same source that said Cavill had been officially cast as Geralt a week before it got confirmed and published said British actress Anya Chalotra has been cast as Yennefer a few weeks ago. They also said they are looking for 15-16 year old to play a 10-13 year old Ciri which also got confirmed.

Also this rumor has less basis, take it with a grain of salt but word is Sebastian Stan might have been cast as Dandelion.

M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Witcher 3-Part 3 ( Expansion Edition) - Page 7 Empty Re: Witcher 3-Part 3 ( Expansion Edition)

Post by Freeza Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Thimmy wrote:Goal legacy Proud I didn’t mention Idris elba being cast as James Bond or a norse god to express that I disagree with those specific choices, those were just examples off the top of my head where a non-white actor was, from what I can tell, cast for a role in order to make a political statement. I really like Idris Elba, but I would have an issue with him being cast as a norse god, if norse mythology was something I felt particularly invested in.

I'm invested in the mythology. I've even helped develop a movie about it. They retcon it alright by making them aliens though. Just didn't see the reason for them to waste Idris in a role like that.

I don't care much about the race of gods, as I assume they can take any race they'd want. And as they're gods, they're also more representative of the whole globe they represent. What bothers me about those project is that Vikings, Norse Gods etc often get Scottish or British accents Laughing And there seems to never be actual Nordic people cast in the roles.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:06 pm

M99 wrote:Moving on to other things, I can say with confidence Yennefer has been cast. Same source that said Cavill had been officially cast as Geralt a week before it got confirmed and published said British actress Anya Chalotra has been cast as Yennefer a few weeks ago. They also said they are looking for 15-16 year old to play a 10-13 year old Ciri which also got confirmed.

Also this rumor has less basis, take it with a grain of salt but word is Sebastian Stan might have been cast as Dandelion.

She's cast in this show as Jennifer hmm

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7608238/?ref_=nm_knf_t2

Doubt they'd cast someone who looks 12 in that role. She looks way too young.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:19 pm

Didn't know the series would revolve around Ciri...

This is turning out to be a disaster.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:23 pm

RealGunner wrote:Didn't know the series would revolve around Ciri...

Lol forget what you know about game Ciri, she's awful.

Books Ciri is miles better.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Witcher 3 also revolves around Ciri, and you plat'ed that thing hmm
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Not really. Geralt was the main man and it was his story. Ciri was mostly involved in the final act and she was fine being a side character. Rest was Geralt and his interaction with the witcher world and ultimately his end.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Technically yeah, but you play as Geralt so even though the story revolves around Ciri you still don't need to like her that much to enjoy the game.

But revolves around doesn't have to mean she's even in every scene lol, just mean the general story is about her.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:44 pm

RealGunner wrote:Not really. Geralt was the main man and it was his story. Ciri was mostly involved in the final act and she was fine being a side character. Rest was Geralt and his interaction with the witcher world and ultimately his end.

Lol don't you remember Ciri at the end of Witcher 3 " Geralt this is my story not yours, you must let me tell it ".

It's Ciri's story. The entire story is about finding Ciri, then helping her with the wild hunt, controlling her powers, help her make decisions and at the end she has to stop that White Frost.

Everything revolves around her, everything you do is about Ciri in the story.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Well it certainly didn't feel that way at any point till the final act to me. As a gamer and as someone who was living the story as geralt in the game, at no point I had ciri in my mind to think that was her story. She can say what she want. It was Geralt who was visiting kings and queens and monsters and travelling all over the world writing his story everywhere he goes. No Ciri.

Sure the wild hunt was after Ciri and our main task was to save her from them and to prevent the white frost but she was just a tool.

When i think about witcher 3, Ciri is the last person that comes to my mind. I am sure it's the same for most who have played the game. No one associate themselves with [game] Ciri.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:09 pm

That's like saying The Force Awakens doesn't revolve around Luke Skywalker.

It's not the same as a protagonist.

She's basically a macguffin.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Freeza wrote:That's like saying The Force Awakens doesn't revolve around Luke Skywalker.

It's not the same as a protagonist.

She's basically a macguffin.

Yep.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:31 pm

RealGunner wrote:Didn't know the series would revolve around Ciri...

Wtf, the books are great. Basing the series of the books = disaster??????
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Freeza wrote:
Thimmy wrote:Goal legacy Proud I didn’t mention Idris elba being cast as James Bond or a norse god to express that I disagree with those specific choices, those were just examples off the top of my head where a non-white actor was, from what I can tell, cast for a role in order to make a political statement. I really like Idris Elba, but I would have an issue with him being cast as a norse god, if norse mythology was something I felt particularly invested in.

I'm invested in the mythology. I've even helped develop a movie about it. They retcon it alright by making them aliens though. Just didn't see the reason for them to waste Idris in a role like that.

I don't care much about the race of gods, as I assume they can take any race they'd want. And as they're gods, they're also more representative of the whole globe they represent. What bothers me about those project is that Vikings, Norse Gods etc often get Scottish or British accents Laughing And there seems to never be actual Nordic people cast in the roles.

I agree regarding the British accents. One could just as well argue that it doesn't matter since they're not going to speak actual norse languages, anyway, though.

One can always make the argument that, since it's a film, or since it's fantasy, anything goes. Sure it does, but to some people, it completely ruins the immersion. It's fair to argue that it doesn't matter what race a specific film or TV character should be, but it's hypocritical to then proceed to intentionally cast an actor or actress that is a specific race, other than white. Making a political statement in films, should not be prioritized ahead of making the best possible film. The way I see it, the only sensible thing to do would be to cast whoever does the part most convincingly, and not whoever makes the project feel more inclusive or edgy, in regard to "sprucing up" an established franchise or lore. I'm sure Idris Elba would do a great acting job in the role of a god, but it would bother me a little bit that they likely included him in the movie as a symbol of racial diversity, rather than due to his acting talents.

Diverging from the insistent, majorly white, male dominated casts that have been an unofficial trademark of Hollywood for such a long time, shouldn't be a big, politically controversial deal, yet they're making it one by digging up classic films and shows that have long since been concluded, just to re-boot them with a feminist-style focus on something that was never synonymous with these titles in the past. Makes you wonder if creating something entirely from scratch is considered old fashioned, these days. I, for one, think it's a great sign that movies like, Ghostbusters (fem version) and Oceans 8 (fem version) are flopping commercially. Perhaps, these directors will then realize that shoving feminist ideologies into people's faces, doesn't make them appreciate third wave feminism more.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:47 pm

Ocean’s 8 wasn’t a problem. It was a perfectly fine movie that didn’t try to force any shit on anyone.

It also wasn’t a commercial failure. But hell, I doubt you’ve seen or fact checked either of those examples to even judge them in both grounds.

Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:02 pm

Freeza wrote:Ocean’s 8 wasn’t a problem. It was a perfectly fine movie that didn’t try to force any shit on anyone.

It also wasn’t a commercial failure. But hell, I doubt you’ve seen or fact checked either of those examples to even judge them in both grounds.

I haven't fact checked any of them. I simply read an article that stated they flopped commercially. I did watch Ghostbusters. Switching out the entire cast of Oceans 11 for women seems like a pretty forced move, to me. But you're right, haven't watched it, so I'm not really in a position to judge it.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Ghostbusters is more of a switch of a cast.

Ocean’s 8 was a spin off with different kind of characters. Don’t find that to be a problem. Just a cinematic universe kind of movie.

It made 300m on a 65-70m budget which is great.

Ghostbusters did flop though.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Witcher 3 is by far heliocentric around Ciri as Geralt being what you play has little bearing on the plot scheme itself.

And I hope all your know that Lauren Hissrich is a known OPEN FEMINIST/Multicultural Activist who by the way promised her activist views would not bleed into the show, but as we know such is the conditioning of such ideological ilk they will not stick by their word whether intentional or not.

Waiting for the White Cis-gender patriarchal misogynistic Drowners to slain by a Cambodian-African Trans Paraplegic Hindu Triss.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:33 pm

rincon wrote:
Myesyats wrote:
rincon wrote:Who cares? Why is it important?

Who cares? Like, almost everyone? The Witcher is depicting Slavic culture which has no connection with the black culture. It'd be harder for me to get immersed in the world.

It's almost like a white guy played the lead in Black Panther

What black culture? lol if a black girl gets cast as X character she doesn't bring "black culture" with her to the show. The show creators determine everything about the show they are making, she can be the exact same character and be blond, brunette, red haired, black, or green. We are cool with cat-eyed white haired superhumans, elves and monsters but dark skinned girl breaks immersion.

Henry Cavill isn't slavic though. #NotMyGeralt

It feels forced, thats what I don't like about it. Every fan of the Witcher universe pictures Ciri as a fair-haired, green-eyed white girl. There are roles for Black people in the movie, such as merchants from some exotic lands, Ciri just comes from a white background, period.

I'll still watch the show, its not a turn off for me, I just don't like forcing minorities into every role possible. Minorities can be incorporated into the show as travelers from other lands, there is no need to force anything on main charachters. I think Thimmy got around this topic pretty well.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:02 pm

Arquitescu wrote:Witcher 3 is by far heliocentric around Ciri as Geralt being what you play has little bearing on the plot scheme itself.

And I hope all your know that Lauren Hissrich is a known OPEN FEMINIST/Multicultural Activist who by the way promised her activist views would not bleed into the show, but as we know such is the conditioning of such ideological ilk they will not stick by their word whether intentional or not.

Waiting for the White Cis-gender patriarchal misogynistic Drowners to slain by a Cambodian-African Trans Paraplegic Hindu Triss.

I wish you had waited with posting this comment until after the inevitable argument that this has nothing/can't be confirmed to do with the producer's feminist agenda.

I'll definitely watch the show. Hopefully, Lauren's "artistic depiction" of the world of The Witcher, doesn't impact the entertainment value negatively.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:21 am

rincon wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:@Rincon you can read through this thread, at first my reaction was "so what?" (then again I've only played like 10 hours on W3), but it seems that people do have a legitimate gripe with this change:

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/9e0wa6/im_polish_and_heres_why_i_think_that_changing/

Read most of that. The OP I 100% disagree with. Netflix bought the rights to the content and they are the ones gambling millions on the show. They aren't doing this to appease the country where the author is from, they are doing it to make money and hopefully make something good out of the whole thing.

The consistency arguments I completely agree with.

Regarding the above I don't know how changing the race of a character would impact their money making abilities? Yes Netflix is the one taking the financial risk and are in it to make money. Does having a black actress help that? How? If anything it has angered the fanbase and made it a riskier investment with little additional upside for this change.

Playing devil's advocate here since I'm not sure how I feel really, but I think it boils down to "Poles feel like their culture gets little to no representation in Hollywood and, as such, were looking forward to this adaptation. By making this change, Poles see their culture being bastardized by Hollywood by introducing American issues, and the work stops being about Polish culture but a weird blend instead".

And it wouldn't exactly be the first time that Hollywood has done this to non-anglo cultures.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:44 am

Thing is I don't even mind it if they are consistent with it, problem is I get the feeling we are going to see a black Ciri running around with loads of white people Laughing

It's going to look so forced and out of place, because of the storytelling aspect of this I would much prefer they cast a minorities for Yen or Triss if they have to do it because it doesn't have the same domino effect.

I just don't see why they have to do it, they must have so low confidence in the show tbh.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:03 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
rincon wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:@Rincon you can read through this thread, at first my reaction was "so what?" (then again I've only played like 10 hours on W3), but it seems that people do have a legitimate gripe with this change:

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/9e0wa6/im_polish_and_heres_why_i_think_that_changing/

Read most of that. The OP I 100% disagree with. Netflix bought the rights to the content and they are the ones gambling millions on the show. They aren't doing this to appease the country where the author is from, they are doing it to make money and hopefully make something good out of the whole thing.

The consistency arguments I completely agree with.

Regarding the above I don't know how changing the race of a character would impact their money making abilities? Yes Netflix is the one taking the financial risk and are in it to make money. Does having a black actress help that? How? If anything it has angered the fanbase and made it a riskier investment with little additional upside for this change.

And it wouldn't exactly be the first time that Hollywood has done this to non-anglo cultures.

Of course you know how changing the race or looks of X character in X franchise impact the money making abilities of shows or movies. Its the reason why an American got cast to play the lead role. They have an audience they are going for, and they want to call that audience and entice them to watch their show. A way to do that is by having characters that audience members can identify themselves with. If Netflix was polish and making this show for their local audience, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the entire cast was polish. It would make sense. Netflix may try to expand their reach towards certain minority populations by adding such characters. Most of the show will have characters played by white people, Henry Cavill will already be Geralt so that's locked down, they might see adding other races in prominent roles to bring in a broader audience.

We don't even have to go to a different studio. Netflix produced Narcos and made 2 US agents into the main characters and had them narrate and showed the story through their eyes. This is VERY much Colombian history, yet they did that. Why? because they knew that it would bring in the wider american public, and it did. El Patron Del Mal already exists (the more accurate, colombian made, Escobar series) but no one in the english speaking world gave a shit.

They are the ones producing the show and spending the money. They may get it wrong, but they sure have all the rights in the world to pursue their vision and give themselves what they think is the best chance for success.

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Playing devil's advocate here since I'm not sure how I feel really, but I think it boils down to "Poles feel like their culture gets little to no representation in Hollywood and, as such, were looking forward to this adaptation. By making this change,  Poles see their culture being bastardized by Hollywood by introducing American issues, and the work stops being about Polish culture but a weird blend instead".

Its fair to feel disheartened, the thing is, this is not a Polish show. It shouldn't be Netflix's job to bring Polish culture into their audience. They already have a hard enough time bringing in local (US) views and paradigms into the industry.

As an example, no doubt you remember Betty la fea. That got remade into 100 international adaptations and each made it with their own local actors to serve their own local audience. Or Breaking Bad getting remade with entirely hispanic actors for such countries. Or the countless anime movies like Charlize Theron doing aeon flux.

Creative license is always there.

If they wanted to go more authentic then they would give us a 100% polish cast speaking polish with english subtitles. Problem is it wouldn't make financial sense for them to do that. Geralt isn't supposed to be American either, but it is what it is.

I'm not a comic book reader but even I knew regular old school Nick Fury wasn't black. Yet they made him black and Jackson made him awesome.

In the end these are just details, and they only matter if studios make bad shows/movies.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:59 am

I feel like all this controversy before the show has even been shot will damage the reputation of this project and a lot of people are going to shit on it for the smallest mistakes.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:01 am

I don't really fvck with the "a more diverse cast can bring a broader audience to watch the show" argument.

Again, I have nothing against more diversity, it just needs to be done with some kind of logic.

The writer of the show had tweeted before that she does not intend to change the character's heritage or ethnic makeup though, it appears that she'll actually stick with the book descriptions, so I hope we can forget about the Ciri rumour.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:54 am

This is not comparable to Nick Fury being black. All Nick Fury needs is to be a hardass with an eyepatch. Ciri's role in the story revolves around her being princess to a kingdom from her mother's side, an empire from her father's side, and also she is descended from elven royalty so making her a minority opens a whole can of worms. Also her ashen blonde hair and green eyes are a defining feature for her just like Nick Fury's eyepatch.

And I would be fine with it if a BAME actress absolutely nailed the audition and left her competitors behind the dust but here they specifically call for a BAME just because...

Okay. So in the books Ciri is described as very pale and fair skinned. So was her mother Pavetta

This is because of her heritage to Lara Dorren.

Elves in European folklore were often described as very pale beings. As shades and ghosts in forests and hills.

This is why in the books you have the Aen Elle(Alder Folk, forest elves) and the Aen Seidhe(Hill elves). Because the elves in the books were based on the European folklore.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 22  Next