rincon
ExtremistEnigma
urbaNRoots
El Gunner
Robespierre
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Short Corners Denunciation Thread Empty The Short Corners Denunciation Thread

Post by Robespierre Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:53 am

I wanted to write it sooner or later, but always forgotten
Yesterday RB Leipzig gave me the chance to remind it.
Am I the only one to hate them so much ?

Collateral effect of modern football.

Furthermore  they have about a 0.2 % of conversion rate.
But that 0.2 is on trust.
Indeed I have never seen to score after a short corner.

The Short Corners Denunciation Thread Pls%2Bstop
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

The Short Corners Denunciation Thread Empty Re: The Short Corners Denunciation Thread

Post by El Gunner Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:06 am

I think you may be on to something Robes
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

The Short Corners Denunciation Thread Empty Re: The Short Corners Denunciation Thread

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:22 am

If you don't have some tall players in the box there's no point in crossing from a corner, you'll lose possession and risk conceding in a counter attack.

I know this from my experience of watching Arsenal vs Chelsea/Man Utd during the banter era.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:38 pm

Robespierre wrote:I wanted to write it sooner or later, but always forgotten

In PL, you will see teams scoring more from short corners as a lot of teams take them regularly.

The ratio of goals from corners is very low in the first place. Unless most teams start taking short corners predominantly, you will be lucky to see them score from one.

Last edited by ExtremistEnigma on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : wrong math)
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Corner scoring rate is waaaaaaaaaay higher than 0.05%. You would need 2000 corners on average to score a goal. Using your figure of a team getting 5 corners a game, you would need an average of 400 games to score a corner. I think its safe to say teams score more than 1 corner goal every 10 seasons.

The real number is closer to 50 times that.

Short corners are mostly bs.

Last edited by rincon on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by 80s_Stallone Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:16 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:If you don't have some tall players in the box there's no point in crossing from a corner, you'll lose possession and risk conceding in a counter attack.

I know this from my experience of watching Arsenal vs Chelsea/Man Utd during the banter era.

that probably happens less than scoring on a short corner
80s_Stallone
80s_Stallone
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Sampdoria

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:09 pm

That short corner by Leipzig in the last minute was an abomination
If I was Gulasci, I'd smack Forsberg in the face
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:08 pm

80s_Stallone wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:If you don't have some tall players in the box there's no point in crossing from a corner, you'll lose possession and risk conceding in a counter attack.

that probably happens less than scoring on a short corner

Even if you don't score, you at least decrease the chance of conceding a goal on the other end. That's why most teams that play short corners do it.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:15 pm

ExtremistEnigma wrote:
Robespierre wrote:I wanted to write it sooner or later, but always forgotten

In PL, you will see teams scoring more from short corners as a lot of teams take them regularly.

The ratio of goals from corners is very low in the first place. Unless most teams start taking short corners predominantly, you will be lucky to see them score from one.

Now  , I don't know if I am a person incredibly unlucky in the life, but I 've watched so many matches in my life and I have never seen scoring someone on short corner, even if they are misused now.

Normal corner all life. It is quite clear that short corner is one of worst thing of modern football and I'm going to continue this battle. Follow me ffs
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:17 pm

rincon wrote:Corner scoring rate is waaaaaaaaaay higher than 0.05%. You would need 2000 corners on average to score a goal. Using your figure of a team getting 5 corners a game, you would need an average of 400 games to score a corner. I think its safe to say teams score more than 1 corner goal every 10 seasons.

The real number is closer to 50 times that.

Short corners are mostly bs.

Spot on
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Another important milestone of Short Corner Denunciation

Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:10 pm

He actually looked offside in that Marseilles goal.
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:26 am

The offside rule exists only on opposite halfway line
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Agreed, short corners are awful.

I don't even buy the "if you haven't got tall players, why cross it?" argument. So many short corners are wasted without the ball ever making it into the penalty area. At least with a proper corner you can put the ball in the danger area and hope for the best. And even short players can win the second ball. Short corners are just sheer stupidity, imo.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Corners aren't that great in general. Last year in the Premier League, there was only a 3.2% chance of one leading to a goal:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/27/in-defence-of-the-corner-a-much-maligned-set-piece

While that data is a year out of date, it likely hasn't varied that much this season. Over five years, corners have resulted between 0.32 and 0.38 goals per game.

The vast majority of normal corners - that is, ones put straight into the penalty area - either don't beat the first man or are easily cleared. Just lumping it into the box and hoping something will happen is as inefficient as taking it short.

Even teams with tall players and great set-piece takers need several attempts to score from a corner.

Teams know this so they vary their routines with short corners to maybe create a better opening. I don't know the stats, but I would guess that you're not doing your chances of scoring any harm by taking a short corner.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:27 pm

Anything short should be outlawed imo.

Football is a game about getting stuck in, showing your strength as a man and throwing it in the mixer.

None of this cute artsy bullshit.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:34 pm

Art Morte wrote:Agreed, short corners are awful.

I don't even buy the "if you haven't got tall players, why cross it?" argument. So many short corners are wasted without the ball ever making it into the penalty area. At least with a proper corner you can put the ball in the danger area and hope for the best. And even short players can win the second ball. Short corners are just sheer stupidity, imo.

No they are not. After watching midgets play in week after week I can say that short corners reduce the chances of getting countered considerably, especially in last stages of match when you are already ahead by a goal or two.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Anything short should be outlawed imo.

Football is a game about getting stuck in, showing your strength as a man and throwing it in the mixer.

Don't hate the short mate. Short can be pretty strong Cool

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Lucifer wrote:

No they are not. After watching midgets play in week after week I can say that short corners reduce the chances of getting countered considerably, especially in last stages of match when you are already ahead by a goal or two.

Only a Barca fan would answer "short corners are great for keeping possession".
Although I do understand why a Barca fan would hate proper corners right now... smoking
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:11 pm

Lucifer wrote:

You keep telling yourself that.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Art Morte wrote:
Lucifer wrote:

Only a Barca fan would answer "short corners are great for keeping possession".
Although I do understand why a Barca fan would hate proper corners right now... smoking

Who said anything about possession? It's about being safe than sorry.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Lucifer wrote:

You keep telling yourself that.

I am Cool
Spoiler:

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:34 am

i like this thread. i've never paid much attention to short corners but now i think of it, i'm not sure i can remember any goal scored from a short corner. and that first clip on the thread is foolish team planning, if your goalie comes forward during a corner kick, it is very foolish to execute a short corner, it serves no purpose in that instance
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:40 am

Short corners have a time and a place. They're a good way to open up space and switch it up. If you're a team like Barca and you only have 1 tall guy in your outfield team it makes sense. If you have Cristiano, Ramos and Pepe maybe not so much. It depends.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:40 am

i actually just remembered one of our goals cristiano scored against utd in the champions league might have come as a result of a short corner. i've been really trying to remember short corner goals
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next