Tomwin Lannister
RealGunner
Great Leader Sprucenuce
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Mafia 3 - Page 4 Empty Re: Mafia 3

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Mole was just shooting people for banter he wasn't trying to show the absolute pinnacle of gaming experience.

Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:14 pm

CBarca wrote:
Art Morte wrote:A great story doesn't make up for shoddy gameplay in video games, imo. It's the latter that you actually play. I watched those couple clips by you, Mole, where you just sneaked up behind some dudes and shot them and I was like... what's so great about that? It didn't look like a proper stealth game to me, it didn't look like a proper action game... it looked boring.

While I actually agree with you, I personally would reserve judgement as to how good its gameplay was until I actually played the game.

Tomwin Lannister wrote:Mole was just shooting people for banter he wasn't trying to show the absolute pinnacle of gaming experience.

No, but if somebody takes the time to play & record a piece of gameplay where they "sneak up" on a guy fishing on a pier, who looks likely to ignore a frigging speedboat doing a drive-by shooting on him, and "sneaking up" on a guy sleeping on a couch, and posts these as any sort of worth-while clips of the game, it kinda messages to me that this game isn't all that amazing. If you're a fan of the concept and the series, sure, enjoy it, but to an outsider it just looks very easy and very cheap.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:34 am

Oh Jesus *bleep* christ, I took the clips because I thought it was funny, not everything has to be so serious ffs I take random clips all the time.

I.e the usual killing of innocents while they were minding their own business.

Not because they were the pinnacle of my enjoyment lmao, I have already explained why the gameplay is very fun multiple times over in this thread.

It's extremely weighty, the reaction to the bullets from the AI combined with the weighty feel makes for a very engaging gameplay experience.

You know you should probably play the game before acting like you know everything. Gunplay isn't something you can understand by watching a few videos, it's something you have to feel and the feedback you get from each shot good or bad.

In terms of open world shooting mechanics there isn't any better, mainly because most of them feel like pea shooters GTA included.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:18 pm

FYI even in GTA aka a game that everybody from critics to casuals hailed as a masterpiece, generic unimportant free roaming AI characters were idiots too. As far as i'm aware there is no open world game where the base civilian AI are anything approaching intelligent. We're probably 30 Years away from the stage where John Smith AI fisherman turns around, ducks for cover, throws his fishing rod down, whips out his phone and calls his mate from down the road asking for help because some guy in a green jacket is trying to execute him.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:01 am

Just finished it.

Not much needs to said other than what i have already said but i might as well repeat it now i know everything.

Story is absolutely outstanding, everything from the characters(one of them called Donavon is probably the best character i have played in a game all year), writing, direction ( especially on the cutscenes which feel like a Scorsese film) and acting.

Soundtrack is absolutely amazing, constantly find myself parking outside a mission to finish the song off rofl

Gunplay is everything i have said before, it's going to be hard to play 3rd person action games after this without feeling extremely underwhelmed. Everything from the weight of the shot, the AI's animated response to each shot to each individual body part and how they react of it, the sound effects all contribute to incredibly satisfying gunplay mechanics which actually feels like you are firing bullets unlike most 3rd person action games.

I'm not going to act like there isn't negatives though, the mission structure in between the main bosses and building up to that in each district is very repetitive.

You will ( or you should)feel rewarded once you get to that point because the story is so good and the moments at the end of each district are usually full of great moments.

I personally didn't particularly care about the repetitive nature of the missions building up to them because i enjoyed the gunplay so much but i can understand people that do and pushing through the game to get to those moments can be a bit of a chore if you don't enjoy the gunplay to the extent i do.

Also as mentioned before the AI are quite dumb when it comes to the stealth aspect, they are not that bad when they know where you are especially if they are able to get backup but it's very easy to navigate through groups of enemies unseen if you approach it properly.

I didn't really experience the bugs and glitches people have apparently experienced, so i can't comment to that Also don't usually do this but what the hell lol.

To me it's a game inbetween an 8 and a 8.5 due to it's design flaws, would be an easy 9 if they designed the mission scructure to be something which was a lot more unique and varied while keeping the payoff that they give at the end of each district.

If they weren't capable of that then they could have eliminated it entirely and cut the game down, it would have been shorter but maybe more focused. But despite those flaws i still thoroughly enjoyed it because the things it did well it did very, very well.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:51 am

Nice review.

How long was the story? Compared to something like GTA5 or UC4

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:03 am

Longer than UC4 but shorter than GTA V. It felt like it took me like 40 hours, but that's a guesstimate as I have no idea how long exactly.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:16 am

Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor