How would you improve Leicester next season ?

+20
donttreadonred
El Blanco Madridista
Hapless_Hans
ExtremistEnigma
M99
Robespierre
sportsczy
Glory
Onyx
windkick
Art Morte
Great Leader Sprucenuce
urbaNRoots
Myesyats
Cruijf
Dark Knight
Valkyrja
McAgger
El Gunner
farfan
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How would you improve Leicester next season ? - Page 2 Empty Re: How would you improve Leicester next season ?

Post by Robespierre Fri May 06, 2016 6:28 pm

So much faith  in Morgan - Huth partnership ?
For me the signing a better BC  ( at least one..) must be the first step
It's easier to imagine  offensive players perform (almost) like this year than this defence. It reminds me when we ,after a great season in '98,  didn't sign Thuram  why we were the best defence with Taribo West and Colonnese but Ronaldo to carry us.
Expecially for a CL level this partnership is unacceptable  imho.

Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

How would you improve Leicester next season ? - Page 2 Empty Re: How would you improve Leicester next season ?

Post by sportsczy Fri May 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Leicester is dust in CL anyhow... they're going to park the bus and counter except that they will likely have a European elite team in front of them and another very good team.  Although improving, EPL does not have technical midfields even amongst the elite teams.  That will change in CL.  Klopp, Pep and Conte will add that technical aspect but other teams will need to face it a few times before they get used to it.  That will take a couple of years.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri May 06, 2016 6:45 pm

sportsczy wrote:Leicester is dust in CL anyhow... they're going to park the bus and counter except that they will likely have a European elite team in front of them and another very good team.  Although improving, EPL does not have technical midfields even amongst the elite teams.  That will change in CL.  Klopp, Pep and Conte will add that technical aspect but other teams will need to face it a few times before they get used to it.  That will take a couple of years.

They won't be dust in CL. They are going to be in Pot 1. At most, in the worst case scenario they have one really tough opponent in their group. Other than that some obscure bs team from eastern Europe or a perennial chocker like one of the Eredivisie or Scandinavian sides.

This current Leicester side will get past the group stages. If they lose Kante or Mahrez then that's a different question. Then in the knockout stages it'll depend on the luck of the draw. Their football is very well suited for 2 leg ties.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Fri May 06, 2016 6:47 pm

They could still end up in a terribly rough group. Plus the whole thing of never actually competing in that tournament can be over whelming while a club like Basel has that experience and can turn into a pain in the ass real quick, especially for a club like Leicester.
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri May 06, 2016 7:25 pm

farfan wrote:
Valkyrja wrote:

VdW's and Feghouli's contracts are ending this summer

Ben Arfa's too .

Also Torres hmm
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Sat May 07, 2016 1:38 am

I just hope they don't go overboard and sign a lot of new players.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat May 07, 2016 9:20 am

Is Alex Song still available?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Blanco Madridista Sat May 07, 2016 8:45 pm

Arbeloa is available too Laughing

El Blanco Madridista
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun May 08, 2016 2:07 pm

ExtremistEnigma wrote:I just hope they don't go overboard and sign a lot of new players.

They will need to do precisely that, actually.

Ranieri cannot play roughly the same 11-13 players for 90% of the matches next season. He will need to have options for rotation.  We'd also do well to remember that this rotation will be occurring against Europe's elite, not some League One team. I don't think it's unreasonably harsh to say that their current bench is not at CL level. Therefore, they ABSOLUTELY need to expand the squad.

That said, I have a hard time seeing their new signings slotting in seamlessly with the existing squad. The likely result is that they underperform for a while (see: group stage of CL). A large part of their success this season was based upon having a settled squad, a clear and simple approach, and unbelievable luck with injuries to key players.I just don't see these players having enough time to fit into this setup prior to the group stages of the competition. Therefore, I can't see them getting out of the group stages.

While it may seem somewhat counter-intuitive, I think these hypothetical new players will likely save Leicester's league season next year, even/especially if they don't actually play many minutes in the first half of the campaign. As I said above, part of Leicester's success was the settled squad and luck with injuries. The expanded squad will allow Ranieri to rest key players in Europe and keep the squad healthy and rested for the league campaign.

Even with an expanded squad and the retention of key players, I have trouble seeing them repeat anything similar to their form this season. Not to belittle their achievement, but a fair amount of luck played its part in this dream season for them. Personally, I think they are challenging for Europe at best next season, and that's IF they retain their best players.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Sun May 08, 2016 5:53 pm

They definitely need to have a bigger squad because of CL being in the mix, but that does not necessarily mean buying a crazy amount of players. Around 5 at most, 2/3 out of those slotting directly into the team. Quality over quantity. There have been numerous cases where transfer window overhauls have massively failed. I can't think of any club/manager for whom such an approach has brought credible success.

No one expects Leicester to perform as good as they did this season. However, with this new found success, they should try to sustain it instead of going all out: focus on PL, forget about CL.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:42 pm

So kante gone.

How will Leicester cope?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:43 pm

Have they signed anyone?
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:59 pm

They signed Nampalys Mendy, no idea how good he is
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:11 pm

Fellaini would be an unreal signing for them

They've signed a few players most of which I've forgotten the names of

fifa legend Musa from Russia is 1
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Pacy player from Russia with a good record in the CL?

Spoiler:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:29 pm

ES wrote:They signed Nampalys Mendy, no idea how good he is

Like Kante only better
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:59 pm

So now Kante's gone, Mahrez wants out as well. Laughing

Well, it was fun while it lasted.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2