Hapless_Hans
El Gunner
LeBéninois
The Demon of Carthage
Lucifer
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is it all about result? Empty Is it all about result?

Post by Lucifer Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:03 pm

Came across this wonderful article
http://www.espnfc.com/blog/marcotti-musings/62/post/2708448/why-playing-well-matter-more-than-results
The notion that if you win it means everything is fine and you're doing a great job is both misguided and short-sighted. The point of the game isn't results; it's playing well. wrote:
Whats ur take on this? Do results matter more than playing well?

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Is it all about result? Empty Re: Is it all about result?

Post by The Demon of Carthage Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:13 pm

Results are everything. If you play ugly and still manage to win, people will criticize you but they won't fire you. If you play scintillating football and still fail to win, people will sing your praises, and then fire you.

Results are everything. Ask any football fan in the world which out of these two options would they choose if they absolutely had to:

1) Win trophies with ugly football.
2) Play fantastic football and be trophyless.

Most will go for option number 1.

History doesn't remember the names of those without trophies. You can't fill your club's trophy cabinet with a pile of positive reviews about how well your team played at some point. It can only be filled with trophies.

Results, first. The way you play, second. But if you can have both, even better.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:44 pm

Easy . It's not all about result but it's first and foremost about results, at the highest level at least. As Roma does play beautiful football compared to Chelsea for instance but Chelsea does WIN.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:48 pm

And look where Chelsea is now!

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:52 pm

Cabbage wrote:If you play scintillating football and still fail to win, people will sing your praises, and then fire you.

Cabbage wrote:You can't fill your club's trophy cabinet with a pile of positive reviews about how well your team played at some point.

Spoiler:
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:54 pm

The Demon of Carthage wrote:
History doesn't remember the names of those without trophies.

That's such a tired clishe tbh.

First of all, who is history.

Second of all, why would you or me know what history will remember and how.

Sure, there are people who look at lists of winners to find out about football history, just there are people who memorize lists of president and think they know about political history.

Then, there will always be people who'll dig a little deeper.

Probably you can say correspondingly, for the first kind of people 'results' are all that 'matter', while the rest of us think this is a simplistic and pretty poor attitude.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Pirloisjesus wrote:And look where Chelsea is now!

Yeah but they still have more titles than AS Roma. Nobody will remember how they won the CL , just that they won it.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:03 pm

LeBéninois wrote:

Yeah but they still have more titles than AS Roma. Nobody will remember how they won the CL , just that they won it.

That's not true. Everybody remembers it. Laughing

You're basically claiming all future football aficionados will be superficial and ignorant and won't bother to educate themselves beyond a winners' list, when actually, compared to our own relation to the past for example, they'll have documents, artifacts, videos, match reports, even forum posts lol, much more readily available to compile more in depth knowledge about history.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:14 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
LeBéninois wrote:

That's not true. Everybody remembers it. Laughing

You're basically claiming all future football aficionados will be superficial and ignorant and won't bother to educate themselves beyond a winners' list, when actually, compared to our own relation to the past for example, they'll have documents, artifacts, videos, match reports, even forum posts lol, much more readily available to compile more in depth knowledge about history.

'' The casual fan '' or '' the future young fan '' won't have time to watch old CL games entirely " ( I don't, no time for that ) .
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:20 pm

LeBéninois wrote:
 '' The casual fan ''  or '' the future young fan ''  won't have time to watch old CL games entirely " ( I don't, no time for that ) .

Yeah sure. I don't either.

But then I would never claim that all the football year 1997 consisted of was Borussia Dortmund, I'd be aware of that there was probably much more interesting and historically important stuff going on, and I assume very much you wouldn't either. We are not COMPLETE idiots, after all.

Neither does our own personal grasp of history encompass the entirety of our present's grasp on history. There's lots and lots of people remembering and historizing stuff as we speak.

And also, you and me are not writing the history books or encyclopedian items that will canonize the future's understanding of history either. If we did, I'd say we'd devote a bit time to watching old games.

Last edited by Hapless_Hans on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:22 pm

How is this even a debate? I'd rather play for a maureenho led inter side and a di matteo led chelsea side and be guaranteed of winning the CL, league every season than play like prime pepcelona, milan and end up not being sure of a trophy or better still end in the relegation zone.. Laughing
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Bankz wrote:How is this even a debate? I'd rather play for a maureenho led inter side and a di matteo led chelsea side and be guaranteed of winning the CL, league every season than play like prime pepcelona, milan and end up not being sure of a trophy or better still end in the relegation zone.. Laughing

I agree that this shouldn't even be a debate.

But not for the confused reasons you give after Laughing

It's not a debate because you do not get results without playing well, with the odd exception proving the rule.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:35 pm

Never have cared about it, never will care about it. Would rather finish 17th every year if my team was playing good football and trying to attack the opposition every week and not playing negatively and seeing progress in some form or another.

I watch or did watch football to be entertained as that's what it is for, not to get excited about a result or to brag about a result. Those that do are usually more of a fan of winning to brag about it than they are of the sport they claim to enjoy.

Most people on here support super teams who rarely lose 10 games in two seasons Laughing so not sure that here is the place to be asking that question.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:36 pm

Well, I'll still take results than playing well and not be sure of a draw.. :coffee:
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Never have cared about it, never will care about it. Would rather finish 17th every year if my team was playing good football and trying to attack the opposition every week and not playing negatively and seeing progress in some form or another.

I watch or did watch football to be entertained as that's what it is for, not to get excited about a result or to brag about a result. Those that do are usually more of a fan of winning to brag about it than they are of the sport they claim to enjoy.

Most people on here support super teams who rarely lose 10 games in two seasons Laughing so not sure that here is the place to be asking that question.

This post Molenation

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:04 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
Bankz wrote:How is this even a debate? I'd rather play for a maureenho led inter side and a di matteo led chelsea side and be guaranteed of winning the CL, league every season than play like prime pepcelona, milan and end up not being sure of a trophy or better still end in the relegation zone.. Laughing

I agree that this shouldn't even be a debate.

But not for the confused reasons you give after Laughing

It's not a debate because you do not get results without playing well, with the odd exception proving the rule.

Agree. Playing well doesn't make you lose, at the contrary. If a team plays well and get no results the problems is else where. ( Playing well include all styles of play )
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:05 pm

If only Mole would apply this wisdom to his own "All players are overrated especially so if they haven't impressed me in a CL semi yet" attitude
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:06 pm

LeBéninois wrote:Agree. Playing well doesn't make you lose, at the contrary. If a team plays well and get no results the problems is else where. ( Playing well include all styles of play )

Exactly. The bolded part is the money quote, and where often people get confused.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:09 pm

I feel this part of the article is also important to this dicussion:

Now, let's get one thing straight off the bat. Playing well doesn't mean entertaining, though that can be a by-product and it doesn't necessarily mean attacking football, either. It simply means executing well. And there are many ways to do it.

The nice thing is there are 22 guys on the pitch, each manager gets to tell 11 of them what to do and the permutations on how you might play well are many. You can resurrect "uber-Catenaccio" from the 1960s and put 10 men behind the ball, hoping to snatch a goal on the break. You can press maniacally high up the pitch. You can stack your team with goliaths and lump the ball continuously into the air. You can hang on to the ball and tiki-taka your way to a shot.

You can choose any combination of the above or indeed many others and, if you're clever, you'll do it based on the personnel at your disposal and, perhaps, on the opposition and circumstances. But your goal -- your endgame -- will be the same. You will look to minimize the chances you concede and look to maximize the chances you create. And because not all chances are created equal, you will try to create more quality chances for yourself and allow fewer for your opponents.

As far as Marcotti's concerned, this isn't a Style vs Substance thing. Playing stylishly doesn't necessarily mean you're playing well; god knows how many times I've seen Arsenal play "attractive football" yet not create a high number of chances and concede a high number of chances at the same time.

What it's all about, for him, is that not playing well but still winning doesn't mean a manager is doing a good job, and I tend to agree with him. Results are important for the success of a football club, but a string of poor results shouldn't automatically result in a manager being sacked if the team is playing well, because there are other factors outside of pure skill and preparation that effect results. I think results on their own actually tell you very little about how a team is doing.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Never have cared about it, never will care about it. Would rather finish 17th every year if my team was playing good football and trying to attack the opposition every week and not playing negatively and seeing progress in some form or another.

Indeed. Football is about more than just winning trophies (as is any sport, IMO). Obviously that is the main goal of the players, but as fans you want to be entertained, you want to feel a part of something, you want passion and integration. You look for idols, legends and atmosphere.

At least I do.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:32 pm

What about Johan Cruijf's Holland 1974? They are fondly remembered despite not winning.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:46 pm

@rwo 1 example is not enough. Besides , how many people here can tell me about Holland 74 ? I know they were great but I didn't watch their games ... Who did ?
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:26 pm

LeBéninois wrote:@rwo 1 example is not enough. Besides , how many people here can tell me about Holland 74 ? I know they were great but I didn't watch their games ... Who did ?

I've watched all their games. One of the most entertaining sides. I think that defeat made them more mythical, kind of like the 82 Brazilian side. That's tournament football. Club sides that don't win anything but play good football are never remembered eg Arsenal
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:35 pm

I am glad ONLY when my team wins . I am NEVER glad if my team loses. If my team loses after having played well I can't consolate myself  , probably I can be even angrier ( nay, frustrated ) than before, because everything was useless.
Results >>> everything surely
I think it is a normal thing, probably it's not a case the only ones to have this doubt is who supports team who win basically every match , so they haven't a idea what it means to suffer for  shit leagues played by own club.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:42 pm

Robespierre wrote:I am glad ONLY when my team wins . I am NEVER glad if my team loses. If my team loses after having played well I can't consolate myself  , probably I can be even angrier ( nay, frustrated ) than before, because everything was useless.
Results >>> everything surely
I think it is a normal thing, probably it's not a case the only ones to have this doubt is who supports team who win basically every match , so they haven't a idea what it means to suffer for  shit leagues played by own club.

I agree. For me it goes like this:

Winning with style > Winning but awful football > Losing but playing well > Losing and playing terrible football

aka

Barcelona 10/11 > Inter 09/11 > Arsenal 07/08 > Chelsea 14/15
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next