Ha the atleti comparison is spot on

BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The official Tennis thread - Page 42 Empty Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Vibe Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:10 pm

Novax Proud

Those last 3 sets were something else, faultless.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:50 pm

Kyrgios beat himself before Novak could though. Guy starts having a meltdown as soon as things don't go his way lol
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:21 pm

GOAT announces retirement.

El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:42 pm

The legend, easily the best of all time. :bow:
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:07 am

Djokovic is now also statistically the GOAT :bow: If anyone could actually deny it, now that argument is gone for good.

Back to #1 as well, 388 weeks which is an absolute record, already has more than 100 weeks over anyone in history but Federer, and if he can remain 1st for another 20 weeks I think, he'll put a 100 on Federer as well.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:13 am

just a friendly reminder...

Technology Shows Roger Federer Is Superior To Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic
https://www.essentiallysports.com/technology-shows-roger-federer-is-superior-than-rafael-nadal-and-novak-djokovic-atp-tennis-news/
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:04 am

Did you even read that?

It's from 2020 and it's main argument is that Federer has 20 grand slams, and now Djokovic has 23 Laughing
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:07 pm

that was just a supplementary argument, not main
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:12 pm

Was pretty interesting to see Ruud absolutely wilt as Novak's resolve to close out that last set grew and grew. Man wasn't able to score a single point in like 2 or 3 games before finally getting one deep into that final game. I think he knew what time it was.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:17 pm

El Gunner wrote:that was just a supplementary argument, not main

Yes, the main was "here's what an AI called Watson found some fans thought on the internet". Literally.

That article had absolutely nothing. You either didn't read it or hoped no one would actually click on it Laughing
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:41 pm

Here's LG's article that provers Federer's goatness

Technology Shows Roger Federer Is Superior To Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic
Published 09/19/2020, 12:11 PM CEST
By
RISHI KARTHIKEYAN

One of the biggest questions that has troubled generations of tennis fans is – who is the greatest player of all time? Obviously, fans have different views regarding this but a lot of them vote for Swiss Maestro Roger Federer.

There are a lot of reasons why people choose him but we don’t have to go through all of them. IBM has made this a lot easier through Watson AI. It has analyzed millions of articles across the internet to find the most popular arguments given by fans. Let’s see what it found!

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
ADVERTISEMENT
"Lindey Lohan flashes cooch"

Why is Roger Federer the GOAT?
Through its analysis, Watson saw three major arguments raised by fans – best season, records, and game style. Here’s how the Swiss Maestro excels at all three aspects.

Back in 2006, he reached the finals of all 4 Majors, winning 3 of them. In addition to that, he won 12 titles and had a win-loss record of 92-5. Clearly, he was at the peak of his powers, leading to one of his best seasons ever.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
ADVERTISEMENT
"Ashton Kutcher has a massive penis, here's proof"

Moving on, Roger has won a record 20 Grand Slams throughout his career. Besides this repeatedly mentioned accolade, he holds so many records that it would take us an eternity to list them all. Needless to say, the Swiss Maestro excels in terms of breaking new ground in tennis.

Lastly, Federer arguably has one of the best games we have ever seen. He can hit phenomenal groundstrokes from the baseline, along with some attacking volleys. He has every shot in the book and he plays all of them with unparalleled elegance.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
ADVERTISEMENT
"Rhino has sex with a squirell(VIDEO)"

This is why the Swiss Maestro is loved around the world and why fans look forward to seeing him play. Sadly, they can’t do it right now as he is recovering from surgery. Thankfully, the maestro looks all set to revitalize his career in 2021!

“Great Chance for Him”: Denis Shapovalov Backs Rafael Nadal to Equal Roger Federer’s Record at French Open
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:15 pm

Lindsay Lohan's cooch is GOATed
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:00 pm

The official Tennis thread - Page 42 B4a00710
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:13 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:43 pm

What a hero. To come out from the all consuming shadows of Federer and Nadal and overtake them both in H2H, weeks at #1, year end #1s, master 1000 trophies, ATP finals (currently tied with Fed but still), and Grand Slam count is... astonishing. And if anything it can be argued he's underperformed. Has the sport ever known anyone more relentless in their ambition and resilience?

It seems like he'll end up having the last laugh.

These next 1.5 years he has to make sure he seals the deal definitively. Out of the next 6 grand slams he should try to win at least two or three, maybe 3 or 4 more master 1000s as well. I anticipate his physical deterioration may hit the next level by 2025 and Nadal should be retired (by his own admission) by the end of 2024.

For Wimbledon and Us Open he needs to keep his body fresh, his heart strong, his mind clear, and his serve and forehand booming. His forehand in particular looked better than ever at the entirety of the AO and against Alcaraz and Ruud I could see it hit those levels again. Backhand, mentality, and agility/speed/anticipation/return should all still be mostly there in the next few months.

He'll be the favorite at Wimbledon, and I think he should take it, particularly if he has a good draw, has decent luck, and plays his game, again, with the serve and forehand booming. He'll need to be more aggressive anyways as his physical dynamics deteriorate and the new kids try to hit him out of the court.

Only after winning Wimbledon should he even starting thinking about any calendar grand slam pretensions, imo. Game by game.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Davis Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:42 pm

I reckon Cameron Norrie has a great chance of winning this tournament. As long as Novak suffers as shock loss, than I reckon Norrie can become a real contender.
Davis
Davis
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:41 pm

Alcaraz will break all the records set by Novak, Roger and Rafa.

The only thing that can stop him is the emergence of two more players of that caliber to split the success with, like those 3 had to.

So young and so good already.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:15 pm

I remember the tennis guy on radio getting all excited because Canada is a nation on the rise in both men and women competitions. Raonic, Aliassime, Shapovalov, Andrescu, Fernandes, Bouchard

Not a regular ATP follower but it seems we've won a grand total of bleep all so far hmm they are all busts in fact ??
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:17 pm

Vibe wrote:Alcaraz will break all the records set by Novak, Roger and Rafa.

The only thing that can stop him is the emergence of two more players of that caliber to split the success with, like those 3 had to.

pls stop with the overrating.. how many times have we said this about a new player taking over... let him at least dominate a year and then we can talk about it.

he looks good but still raw imo... is he really better than Del Potro and Cilic at their best? Same prototype. Big built, big hitter. Let's see if he sticks around for long.

More than anything else Djokovic showed his age today. Would be cool if he remains at 23 to keep the GOAT debate more interesting.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:21 pm

I don't know about you but I've never said anything similar before, this guy is built different and I have that feeling about him.

You are right about Djokovic though, I stopped watching cause it was painful seeing him look old. Djokovic is still the better tennis player, but Alcaraz is now a far superior athlete.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:20 am

As a huge Novak fan I couldn't bring myself to watch the match. Had the damned luck that I waited for like 5 hours to finally Google the score and I googled it right when Alcaraz was on championship point on the Google scoreboard. Laughing Laughing Laughing

For all intents and purposes it does look like Alcaraz is the next generational guy, just how Borg, Sampras, Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic have been.

As much as Novak gets hailed for his mental fortitude and complete game there are two things related to that that I don't like and it looks like it finally caught up to him in the biggest stage today.

1. As much as a mental giant as is, he does come off to me as on the edge always, and today it looks like he finally went up against someone who could make him pay for not being composed enough. It's not that he never gets nervous, it's just that typically he uses that energy to eventually extraordinarily come through despite his inner turmoil. Margins were too close today up against too good of an opponent and apparently he made too many mistakes.

Saw a quote from him saying more or less that he choked in the second set tie break with his backhand and I also saw a still of a break point in his favor that he didn't capitalize on in the fifth set.

To my dismay it looks like one of those god damn fucking high balls that Novak often fucks up because he never lets them bounce before taking them. He either wants to take it in the air or overhead smash it. Apparently he completely fucked the shot up.

2. Also read an analyst saying that Carlos was looping some of the balls so that they were above Novak's preferred strike zone and that made things hard for Novak to generate power, particularly because his racquet set up is set up for control, precision, and shot absorption, not power.

At this year's AO he was hitting his forehand bigger than ever and at the FO there were times we saw the same, but it's been relatively inconsistent in terms of power all year long.

During Wimbledon I saw all of his matches and I didn't get a great great impression from his forehand.

That's one of my biggest gripes from Novak, I think he could be more aggressive and punchy with his power and winner rate.

Too often times when going for an approach shot, low ball, or even in the middle of rallies he hits these balls with his forehand that are either not deep or powerful enough and are just waiting to get pounced on. Too often. As much as his forehand gets praised and hailed I find aspects of it infuriating.

Don't think he had a great tournament, in fact the only tournament where he's really actually impressed this year has been the AO. Despite a pretty weak draw at that tournament and a worrying injury at least he played at a level that looked better than ever at some points.

Not at Wimbledon.

Was a tough draw and felt like he was actually flattered by the score lines. I saw those matches, could have lost or at least taken to 5 by all of Hurkasz, Rublev, and Sinner.

Apparently he just wasn't mentally composed enough. Who knows if he could have done better if he had played a practice tournament.

I've heard someone describe his game as that of a fighter who's game is more likely to win by decision than by knockout, I've followed him particularly closely since the 2021 French Open and it definitely feels like he's always had a rough time winning, never been a blow out, and that is as much a consequence of too much stress and not enough aggressive fire power imo.

It caught up to him.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:17 am

Think you're reading too much into it, TMO... he just looked stiff and old out there. Also didn't have enough energy for some reason, but this might have been the case for a while now, i don't know, i've stopped watching after Roger retired...

Couldn't imagine how you Novak and Rafa fans would handle it if your guy went through what Roger had to go through. Us Roger fans had to watch him hard transition through clear signs of aging and adapt his game so much over the years. And despite all of that Roger still maintained most his flair and unbelievable shotmaking prowess that stunned his opponents and wowed crowds.

This is what I believe adds to Roger's GOAT case. He technically adapted his game at various points in the 2010s, to remain competitive and put himself in the best position to try and beat the more powerful and energetic legs of Novak and Rafa... and of course he pulled it off a few times. And probably should've done so a few more times (cries in 2019 Wimbledon final).
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:36 pm

That was a great match yesterday in the Wimbledon final. Carlos pulled off a great comeback after that first game to win that match .
Ben
Ben
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:45 am

Did anyone watch that? Epic stuff.

Best non GS final I've seen. Thought Djokovic was done there, if there ever was an example of how mentality can prevail in sport, it is Novak.

Toughest mind I've ever seen in any kind of competition.

I genuinely though Novak has nothing to offer against Alcaraz anymore, but the old dog might have another epic rivalry in him yet.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:25 am

Vibe wrote:Alcaraz will break all the records set by Novak, Roger and Rafa.

Those guys constantly beat the field though, even if Alcarez doesn't have other goat to contend with it is far from given he can constantly beat everyone else.

Djokovic wins his 24th, he is just unbelievable and still doesn't look like slowing down. If he plays until 40, he is going to get to 30 GS, unless he has a sharp decline.

Alcarez is definitely the toughest match up for him, because of his athleticism and legs.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 42 of 43 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43  Next