Puyol leaves Barça at the end of the season, possibly to retire.

+11
CBarca
Le Samourai
The Franchise
danyjr
eelir
barcaholic
Winter is Coming
BarcaLearning
BarrileteCosmico
futbol
free_cat
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Puyol leaves Barça at the end of the season, possibly to retire. Empty Puyol leaves Barça at the end of the season, possibly to retire.

Post by free_cat Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:56 am

It is very likely that Puyol will announce his retirement at the end of the season. My utmost respect and admiration for our captain and for his grand career. A truly legend that also has known when to leave it although he has a millionaire contract until 2016.

Last edited by free_cat on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Puyol leaves Barça at the end of the season, possibly to retire. Empty Re: Puyol leaves Barça at the end of the season, possibly to retire.

Post by futbol Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Why now?

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Puyol leaves Barça at the end of the season, possibly to retire. Empty Re: Puyol leaves Barça at the end of the season, possibly to retire.

Post by free_cat Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Other rumours:

- He will announce he leaves Barça to another club at the end of the season.
- He will announce retirement only from Spain.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:38 pm

free_cat wrote:- He will announce retirement only from Spain.

That makes more sense, especially during the international break. Why would he announce his retirement from the sport alltogether in the middle of the season?

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:14 pm

The rumors over the past week were that he would leave Barca for the MLS, not outright retirement. We will see.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:58 pm

WTF NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

JUST when I thought he may be back to help our terrible defending atm?????
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:08 pm

Aaaaaand he's gone.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:09 pm

Puyol: "I will leave Barça at the end of the season, the injuries and the agressives surgeries don't let me play at the requred level to be at Barça. I don't know what I will do afterwards but I need at least to rest for a while."

So he leaves Barça but he might sign for another team although it is very possible that he retires.

Thank you Puyol for everything!

Even when leaving, Puyol does more for our sport planification than our entire technical staff.  Laughing 

Last edited by free_cat on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:13 pm

Omg.... hope this is not sign of end of era shit  Sad We all love Puyol, one of the best defenders and players I love! His nickname is Lion's heart or something right?

Hes not the tallest, nor the most skillful, or best in anything, but somehow hes that good. And always can be counted upon. I will never forget his header in the semis of last WC that put Spain into the final, forever a hero!!! Puyol!!!!!

Sad Sad Sad 

Im pretty sure NOW that Barca WILL buy a top CB this summer. Otherwise we will be truly fuked and done  Laughing

Forgot to ask, what exactly are his injuries and problems that need surgery?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:18 pm

He's given us much great service for his time here and it is truly awful to see him retire, but it was about time at the end, perhaps this tells our board we do need a new CB, or two this summer.

I hope he just hangs his boots and doesn't go anywhere else and just remains a legend at Barcelona. In a year or two become our assistant coach, and perhaps later a coach, or sporting director in the future Smile

Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by barcaholic Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:47 pm

One of the best defenders and leaders i ever seen. Gave Absolutely Everything for Barca. Never been More sad for a player leaving us than this. Thank You for Everything, our captain and our hero.  Heart

barcaholic
barcaholic
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:11 pm

Legend. A shame this had to be brought on by injuries.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eelir Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:21 pm

BarcaLearning wrote:Omg.... hope this is not sign of end of era shit  Sad We all love Puyol, one of the best defenders and players I love! His nickname is Lion's heart or something right?

Dude, you are still not aware that the end of the era happened a season ago and this is just the final drops confirming it. VV is going, Xavi is getting where Puyol has been for the last two seasons, Alves is following Xavi closely, Pepe and Tito are gone. In my book, this season just finalized the end of an era and we are seeing a different Barca altogether, and it will be even more different when Xavi finally retires without Thiago to replace him.

Let's hope new successful era starts very soon!

And Puyi is a gentleman and loves the club that much that he knows he has to go and not milk it. True leader! I would rest his jersey number for eternity! I think I will actually buy Puyol's jersey for this season, the jersey he wore the last time with us.
eelir
eelir
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:45 pm

One of my favourite defenders of all time. Fantastic leader for Barcelona over the years. Despite his passion which reminded me of great Argentinian centre backs (a rare breed, I know), he rarely lost his cool. I don't know how often a team can have a player of his qualities coming through their youth ranks, ticking pretty much every box.

But like all good things, they come to and end at some point and this had been obvious to many of us a couple of seasons ago. I hope he retires from football at the end of this season as a one-club man.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:52 pm

I remember him as a slightly headless chicken 22 year old rightback  Proud 

Even back then, while we sucked, he gave everything he had and played with the spirit of a winner.

I wont say we will miss him, because we already have done, the last 2-3 seasons of him being injury prone/old we have sorely missed his ability as a defender and his communication back there.

Some truly iconic and amazing performances.

I am going to Barca-Betis, my first game live in years and years, it would be amazing to see him play.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:24 pm

The only Barcelona player I have ever brought myself to truly love, which, considering what Xavi and Iniesta have done, is saying something. The Germany goal stands is the first thing that springs to mind, but it shouldn't.

I don't love him because he scored one goal.

It's not because he was a great defender either. He was, and that was valuable, but it's never what stood out to me. I loved his passion, the commitment he showed, the pure emotion he played with. As cliche as it sounds, he fought to the end.

In the end, that mattered more to me than skill or winning.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:49 pm

A Barca legend and he does well to encapsulate the spirit of Barca. For that, he is El Capitan. One of the most determined, most fierce defenders I've ever seen and no matter how you feel about Barca, or Puyol himself, you must respect him. His leadership, determination, and courage will be missed in a team perhaps not exactly known for such values.

That is why he has been such a valued asset, and we have missed him. We will continue to miss him, but I wish him well in the future, I and Barca will be grateful for everything he has given.

Whether retiring or continuing to play, the best of luck Puyol.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:17 pm

The defender thanked the Barca skipper, who has announced his intention to leave Camp Nou in the summer, saying the veteran will be irreplaceable

Gerard Pique says Carles Puyol has been his "guardian angel" at Barcelona and is devastated that he will be leaving Camp Nou in the summer.

The 35-year-old has been a key part of the Catalans defence for over a decade but on Tuesday announced his intention to leave the reigning La Liga champions this summer when his contract ends.

Pique, who returned to the Catalans from Manchester United in 2008, penned a tribute letter in response to his centre-back partner's upcoming exit and says he cannot fathom the possibility that Barca will find an equal replacement.

"The day has come. You're going," he wrote in a note for Puyol written publicly on his official Facebook page.

"It might be the way of life, but it is impossible to imagine a Barca without you.

"When I look back and remember [victories in] Paris or Rome, the first image that come to my mind is you lifting the European Cup. At Wembley, you gave the honour to Eric Abidal, a gesture that makes you even greater.

"My generation and those that come after us don't know a Barca without Puyol in the back four, with the armband and the No.5 on the back. I guess nothing will be the same.

"I met you almost six years ago. You were the captain and the symbol of the team and I was a youngster eager to conquer the world.

"From the first day we had a great relationship, both on and off the pitch. At your side, I felt protected, I knew that if I failed one day, you would be there to save me. You are my guardian angel.

"I want you to know that I will miss our chats in the dressing-room, your advice and, above all, your scolding on the pitch.

"You are unique and one of a kind. I have to laugh when they talk about signing the new Puyol - they can keep on looking, because they never will find him."
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:23 pm

Yeah, even Pique himself acknowledges that Puyol was cleaning up his mess. Proud

We are so *bleep*ed now. First Abidal, now Puyol. I can't take any more of this. Sad

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:27 pm

he has the ability to stay and play for us, even as a bench player but honestly i think he is doing it for the sake of Barca, this will most certainly add a push for a new defender in the team.
It's an odd year 2014, for defenders...
Vidic leaves Man U, Samuel leaves Inter, Puyol leaves Barca
:/
gonna buy this seasons jersey with puyols name on it.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:06 am

Would be hilarious if Inter went for him. DAT Vidic-Puyol partnership. Didn't Puyol dream of playing in San Siro anyway? Proud

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:34 am

That Puyol and Vidic line would have to be so deep they would be standing on the 6 yard box Laughing
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:37 am

Worked for Samuel and Lucio :coffee:
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:48 am

Indeed it did. But Lucio was like a speeding bullet compared to those two..plus they had Etoo and Pandev as double fullbacks.

Guarin thinks he is the second coming of Valderrama unfortunately.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:52 am

The Franchise wrote:That Puyol and Vidic line would have to be so deep they would be standing on the 6 yard box Laughing

Abovage average pace for Serie A standards, brah. :coffee:

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next