Is Ronaldo vs Messi the all time greatest rivalry of this sport?

+31
Adit
Abramovich
barca 2011
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Eman
El Gunner
Art Morte
serieAkings
the xcx
EarlyPrototype
Babun
hrealmadrid
FilthyLuca
la bestia negra
sportsczy
Valkyrja
Rossoneri Ninja
Gil
VendettaRed07
M99
DuringTheWar
LeSwagg James
rwo power
McAgger
Winter is Coming
Uncanny
Donuts
Tomwin Lannister
zigra
Lex
stunt
35 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is Ronaldo vs Messi the all time greatest rivalry of this sport? Empty Is Ronaldo vs Messi the all time greatest rivalry of this sport?

Post by stunt Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Having recently watched the movie Rush, which about the rivalry between F1 drivers Niki Lauda and James Hunt, I've been asking myself this question.

Do you think it is? Would their rivalry be worth a movie someday? After 7 years of having both of them dominate the ballon d'0r/FIFA player of the year award, I think so.

stunt
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Is Ronaldo vs Messi the all time greatest rivalry of this sport? Empty Re: Is Ronaldo vs Messi the all time greatest rivalry of this sport?

Post by Lex Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:25 pm

What about Anderson vs the cross trainer?
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Is Ronaldo vs Messi the all time greatest rivalry of this sport? Empty Re: Is Ronaldo vs Messi the all time greatest rivalry of this sport?

Post by zigra Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:41 pm

No simply because a poty award isn't "important" in football. It's just something nice to win as a player but it's certainly not enough to make a great rivalry.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:47 pm

I got bored of this 'rivalry' god knows how many years ago

And no, it's a team sport so their little Ballon d'or battle can't be considered as much of a rivalry as any in solo sports. so should definitely NOT be made into a Movie.

Last edited by Tomwin Lannister on Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:51 pm

I think the Pirlo vs Xavi rivalry is more interesting as it is more even.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncanny Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:51 pm

I think so, especially because of YouTube, people are constantly watching these two.
Uncanny
Uncanny
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:00 pm

Good rivalry between the two, but don't think its worth a movie.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Ali-Frazier rivalry >>>>>>

But if we're taking on about football, then it's up there.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:59 pm

Pele vs Maradona says hello ^^

(Even though it is after their active time, I think it is even more prominent than Messi vs Cr7.)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:27 pm

I would say it's the biggest rivalry in the history of football. Pele and Maradona never played against each other, so how could it be a rivalry?

They're just competing for the GOAT title, but they're not 'rivals'
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:31 am

Overall pele maradona is the foremost rivalry in football, for decades they've competed for the greatest title, their rappor with each other is more interesting, and there's the brazil Argentina thing.

In terms of playing at the same time, beckenbauer cruyff was great, and came to cataclysmic battle in the biggest game of all, between two countries where unlike brazil vs Argentina there was genuine hatred.

Another rivalry set in the backdrop of hatred was maradona vs platini, I mean napoli and juventus absolutely hated and despised each other, even outside of football, so the battles between the 2 most renowned number 10s for serie a was very absorbing. The messi Ronaldo rivalry isn't that interesting because a) only one is a top 10 all time player, b) they don't have the personality to make it interesting
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:37 am

Not really, considering how one sided the rivalry is.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:09 am

DuringTheWar wrote: b) they don't have the personality to make it interesting

sort of how l feel about it
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:28 am

I really don't understand how some could feel that this is the "greatest" rivalry in the history of this sport. If so there haven't been any "true" rivalries at all I guess.

I would feel a bit like an idiot if I told my kid about the glory time when those two greatest players of all time were competing for a decade while winning the CL a combined 3 times and no international cup at all Laughing
That's the problem. It's a team sport and individual battles alone are nowhere near interesting enough. It would be great if they both would win title after title and meet in a WC final or so.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:32 am

zigra wrote:I really don't understand how some could feel that this is the "greatest" rivalry in the history of this sport. If so there haven't been any "true" rivalries at all I guess.

I would feel a bit like an idiot if I told my kid about the glory time when those two greatest players of all time were competing for a decade while winning the CL a combined 4 times and no international cup at all Laughing
Although I agree the "rivarly" is too one sided for me and not comparable the only thing the two rival each other in is scoring and that's only the half of a player like Messi.

Pele and Maradona may have not played in the same time but based on success and backround till this day still makes a good rivalry.
players should never been rivals though (atleast taken seriously in football) I rather focus on team rivalry such as Madrid vs Barcelona... USA vs Mexico... Argentina vs Brazil etc etc.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:38 am

Jesus Christ stop being hipsters for once you bellends. It's clearly the greatest rivalry whether you like it or not. Their names are almost synonymous with one another now.

Pele and Maradona never even played against each other. Laughing

Only other notable rivalry I can think of is Keane and Viera.

Last edited by Gil on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:40 am

As a matter of fact, in my eyes, the rivalry between Messi and CR7 is more a rivalry between their fans, while Pele and Maradona attack each other all the time and thus obviously have a personal rivalry.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:41 am

Donuts wrote:
zigra wrote:I really don't understand how some could feel that this is the "greatest" rivalry in the history of this sport. If so there haven't been any "true" rivalries at all I guess.

I would feel a bit like an idiot if I told my kid about the glory time when those two greatest players of all time were competing for a decade while winning the CL a combined 4 times and no international cup at all Laughing
Although I agree the "rivarly" is too one sided for me and not comparable the only thing the two rival each other in is scoring and that's only the half of a player like Messi.

Pele and Maradona may have not played in the same time but based on success and backround till this day still makes a good rivalry.
players should never been rivals though (atleast taken seriously in football) I rather focus on team rivalry such as Madrid vs Barcelona... USA vs Mexico... Argentina vs Brazil etc etc.

Yeh I wrote 3 because Messi wasn't all that important in 05/06 and didn't play against Benfica, Milan and Arsenal but of course he was part of the team that won that trophy too.

I agree that team rivalries are far more exciting in football.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:45 am

zigra wrote:I agree that team rivalries are far more exciting in football.
Schalke vs Dortmund FTW
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:56 am

In terms of media exposure, yes.
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:03 am

rwo power wrote:As a matter of fact, in my eyes, the rivalry between Messi and CR7 is more a rivalry between their fans, while Pele and Maradona attack each other all the time and thus obviously have a personal rivalry.

Spot on. Modern technology gives hordes of idiots a voice to bicker with each other. This is a great rivalry for the 11 year olds with "CR7 rulez" and "leo FTW" on their backs
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:05 am

Which is also a big share of sky's target market. It all seems so plastic
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:11 am

Gil wrote:Jesus Christ stop being hipsters for once you bellends. It's clearly the greatest rivalry whether you like it or not. Their names are almost synonymous with one another now.

Pele and Maradona never even played against each other. Laughing

Only other notable rivalry I can think of is Keane and Viera.

this. The world of football spins around these for 6-7-8 years now.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:18 am

Wenger vs Ferguson circa 1998-2005 was pretty fierce
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:22 am

Maradonna and Pele have no on-pitch rivalry... they played in different eras. It's more of "who's a bigger legend" rivalry.  Maradonna and Platini had a huge on-pitch one however.

Beckenbauer and Cruyff had a big one too.

And then you had all the dutch NT players and managers who hated each other Laughing In-squad rivalries = Dutch are dominant Laughing
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next