Kaladin
M99
Forza
30 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Milan v Atlético Madrid - Page 3 Empty Re: Milan v Atlético Madrid

Post by dostoevsky Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:45 am

M99 wrote:The tie is coming. Can you feel it? I think we can do it. Forza Milan.

I can feel it.

dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:40 am

I agree with Forza and MTD. With most of our forwards out, i think we'd have to put Balo behind Pazzo anyway, with Taarabt on the left and improvise with someone on the right.

I can't decide who would be favorable alongside Rami. Mexes being poor recently and Bonera is...well, Bonera. But, there is an offchance  Bonerabauer turning it up (ala Barca 2012). Moving along to the fullbacks, i'd prefer Abate and MDS to start. Emanuelson is too easily..penetrable.

In midfield we're automatically forced to play Essien and NDJ (God help us) as Cristante is out injured, Monty is suspended for 2 games and Muntari for 1. Although Poli hasn't played much under Seedorf, i would've liked to see how he performs in the pivot. But that ship has sailed now and we have to make do with what we have. Though, he did look somewhat good playing on the right hand side last game.

Atleti's have pressed almost all their opponents relentlessly this season, with the fitness levels of their players permitting them to do so for long periods of the game. Against Barca, they've forced the back so far as to Valdes taking goalkicks on multiple occasions.
Luckily for us, Villa, Luis and Tiago (however important he may be) are all out for the tie.

Additionally, Atleti employ a very tight marking system. With usually 10 players behind the ball. Finding and exploiting space would pose a problem to us. This is why they have much succeeded against possession based teams. They practically invite the pressure. As Dost said in a another thread, i think we would have to employ a similar gameplan that Allegri employed. The only way to break Atleti's cohesive back 4, would be to sit back, let them have the ball and soak pressure. Luring their back 4 out of their own half would be pivotal imo, we can then go on the break. Though, this gameplan can be a double-edged sword and we'll have to extremely wary and confident to execute it perfectly.

Hopefully, we have a respectable showing. Knowing Courtois' susceptibality to longshots, i would hope that Balo scores the same goal again Smile

Forza Milan
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:01 am

dostoevsky wrote:
M99 wrote:The tie is coming. Can you feel it? I think we can do it. Forza Milan.

I can feel it.
The real question is: who is playing the drums?
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:14 am

Good post ES, though I fear that Villa may be available having made his return today, however I imagine that he will not be risked from the start by Simeone.

As a rehearsal, the Bologna match demonstrated clearly that we currently are in no state to break down an organised side, nor do we have the fitness to maintain pressure on a side for a full 90 minutes. Unlike Bologna however, Atletico will make our time on the ball infinitely more uncomfortable and will counter with the ferocity of a tsunami.

Against Napoli, faced with a further weakened starting eleven, Seedorf did not choose to adjust to a more defensive mindset despite the fact that his eleven suggested such an approach. Hopefully we will see a more pragmatic approach taken. Whilst a win would provide the ideal foundation for the second leg, I would be content with a draw if only we could hold a clean sheet to give greater prominence to any goals we should score in Spain.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Villa will be availible. Luis being out is a massive blow for Atletico, this means they will have to play Insua who is worse than Constant Laughing
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Milantildeath Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:11 pm

If it were up to me I'd play Balo behind Pazzo every game. Balo is much better from deep. At Inter I don't recall Mourinho ever playing him as the first point. He was always behind someone.
Milantildeath
Milantildeath
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:23 am

dostoevsky wrote:Good post ES, though I fear that Villa may be available having made his return today, however I imagine that he will not be risked from the start by Simeone.

As a rehearsal, the Bologna match demonstrated clearly that we currently are in no state to break down an organised side, nor do we have the fitness to maintain pressure on a side for a full 90 minutes. Unlike Bologna however, Atletico will make our time on the ball infinitely more uncomfortable and will counter with the ferocity of a tsunami.

Against Napoli, faced with a further weakened starting eleven, Seedorf did not choose to adjust to a more defensive mindset despite the fact that his eleven suggested such an approach. Hopefully we will see a more pragmatic approach taken. Whilst a win would provide the ideal foundation for the second leg, I would be content with a draw if only we could hold a clean sheet to give greater prominence to any goals we should score in Spain.

Thanks, i forgot that Villa has come back. But i think we should go to Spain with a goal advantage. I'm not too confident on how we'll perform in Spain. Ideally, a 1-0 win. But, like you said a 0-0 draw would be better than 1-1 draw.

Have a feeling that we might see 2 drawling ties with 0-0 scorelines  bounce 
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:25 am

Grind our way to Champions League qualification by winning four straight penalty shootouts in a row having not conceded or scored. Proud
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:27 am

The simple man's way of winning the CL Proud
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Andrea Poli is reportedly in line to take an attacking position for Milan in their Champions League meeting with Atletico Madrid this week.

The Rossoneri play host to Diego Simeone’s high-flying Spanish on Wednesday evening in the first leg of their Last 16 tie, with a number of absences to contend with in attack.

Alongside Keisuke Honda and Riccardo Saponara’s ineligibility has come injury to Stephan El Shaarawy, Valter Birsa, Robinho and most recently to Ricky Kaka, who picked up an ankle injury against Bologna on Friday night.

Speculation is that Poli, who finished that same game in an advanced position, is in line once more to take a similar role from the first minute against Atletico, with the Brazilian veteran, having since trained to a separate routine and his availability in doubt.

Latest speculation is that Poli will line up in a three alongside Mario Balotelli and Adel Taarabt, behind lone striker Giampaolo Pazzini.

Sitting midfield positions will be for Michael Essien and Nigel de Dong, whilst Adil Rami and Daniele Bonerea look set for centre-back, with Ignazio Abate and Mattia De Sciglio at full-back.

Source: Football Italia
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:19 pm

Why don't we just put all 11 players on the goal line and wait it out, practice penalties all day

We call it the Phalanx formation
Milan v Atlético Madrid - Page 3 AbGpxcrajE

The look on Atleti's face come game time

Spoiler:
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Personally my strategy would be to turn the pitch into a glorified potato field and make it absolutely impossible to play football on. We cropped the flanks for Arsenal, this time we'll go all the way. Push Balotelli onto the right wing, hoof and wait for Insua to do the rest.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zlatan Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Rossoneri Ninja wrote:Why don't we just put all 11 players on the goal line and wait it out, practice penalties all day

We call it the Phalanx formation
Milan v Atlético Madrid - Page 3 AbGpxcrajE

The look on Atleti's face come game time

Spoiler:

Muntari so reminds me of Ephialtes.

The best thing about CL is that domestic form doesn't account to much.

If we can defend set pieces well (they score quite a few from set pieces), and NDJ and Essien have a big game, we can get a clean sheet, which will be the best possible result for us.

In the grand scheme of things, this match will be a great first hand experience for Seedorf, regardless of the result.

Zlatan
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:42 am

Atletico have Atletico Madrid have named their squad for Wednesday’s Champions League Round of 16 clash with Milan.

Coach Diego Simeone’s 19-man party includes David Villa, who has shrugged off injury doubts in time to be fit for the game at San Siro.

Atletico squad: Aranzubia, Courtois, Godin, Alderweireld, Gimenez, Juanfran, Insua, Miranda, Arda, Cristian Rodriguez, Gabi, Mario, Koke, Raul Garcia, Sosa, Diego, Adrian, Villa, Diego Costa.

No Filipe Luis. drinking
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:37 pm

Arrigo Sacchi has warned Atletico Madrid that they must not underestimate his former club AC Milan in their upcoming Champions League clash.

The Rossoneri have had a poor season this term and currently sit in ninth place in Serie A, while Diego Simeone's side are in the hunt for the Liga title.

However, the ex-Real Madrid boss believes that Milan's wealth of experience in the Champions League means they cannot be ruled out of the tie.

"Today Atletico are favourites, but be wary of Milan, we're talking about a team with extensive experience in Europe," he is quoted as saying by Marca.

"They are clearly not in a good period, but they have top players who can make the difference."

Sacchi went on to say that Simeone has transformed Atletico into a solid outfit, saying they are perhaps the most organised team in Europe.

"Atletico are a great team, a real team, who play with very clear ideas. I've seen them a few times this season and they're spectacular," he continued.

"I was struck by their game against Madrid at the Bernabeu in La Liga. They deserved to win. They're a strong, well connected team who have a lot of pace and work well together. Their collective game is at a great level.

"Simeone's work is great. There isn't a team as organised as Atletico in Europe. Their fluency in attack isn't always great, but the pressure is on the opponent. They have a great defensive organisation."

Finally, the Italian voiced his admiration for Diego Costa's all-round game, saying his defensive work exceeds that of other top strikers.

"I love Diego Costa's strength, aggression and grit. He's a modern striker who has been deployed in attack and defence," Sacchi said.

"There are plenty of good strikers who can only go in one direction, but he isn't one of them. He gives you a lot up front and at the back."
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by •MilanDevil• Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:52 pm

Wow De Sciglio is very wise for his age, just look at his comments.
•MilanDevil•
•MilanDevil•
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Mario Balotelli says he would play in goal if it meant securing an eighth Champions League title for AC Milan.

The Rossoneri have had a disappointing season by their own lofty standards, but would go some way to lifting the mood at San Siro with a victory over Wednesday's opponents Atletico Madrid in the last 16 of the tournament.

Milan have not won Europe's most prestigious competition since they beat Liverpool 2-1 in 2007, and Balotelli says he would make the ultimate strikers' sacrifice and wear Christian Abbiati's gloves in goal if it ensured silverware in this campaign.

“My position? I'm a central striker, but I will also play in goal to win the Champions League. I am very happy to be able to play," he told reporters.

"Am I a champion? I think I am a good player."

Milan are currently sat ninth in Serie A following their 1-0 victory over Bologna courtesy of Balotelli's wonderful effort, while Atletico bounced back from a three-game losing streak with a 3-0 win over Valladolid.

The 23-year-old knows they will have their work cut out against Diego Simeone's men.

“I have not scored in the group stage, perhaps because I have not played that much but I want to help the team and win," he continued.

“In games like the one tomorrow there is something different. Atletico will be hard to beat but from one game to another things do not change that much.

“I have never scored against a Spanish team because they are all tough sides. Maybe I can start now."

Meanwhile, Balotelli also insisted that he is his harshest critic, he added: "I suffered in the stands, now I want to lend a hand. I am my own biggest critic.

"Certainly I am already critical of myself. I don’t mind if journalists are critical of me after I've already done it."
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:16 pm

I can't get this scene outta my head for the upcoming match

Spoiler:
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has admitted he fears AC Milan's vast European experience ahead of their Champions League last-16 clash on Wednesday.

The Rossoneri have had a poor season so far and despite hiring Clarence Seedorf to replace the struggling Massimiliano Allegri in charge at San Siro - they still sit ninth in Serie A.

In contrast, Atletico sit third in La Liga, level on points with second-placed Real Madrid and leaders Barcelona, but Simeone remains fearful of Milan's European pedigree.

"Tomorrow it will be a wide open game where anything could happen," Simeone told reporters on Tuesday.

"I don’t want to make predictions, but this tie will be important ahead of the second leg at the Vicente Calderon. I expect to see a great Milan side and above all I fear their history, which on nights like this can really count. We’ll be facing a great rival.

"We do not feel like the pre-match favourites and we've got to prove our ability on the pitch. It won’t be easy, because the Italian sides always make the most of their scoring chances. We will need to be intense and focused."
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:14 pm

De Sciglio was valedictorian in his school. I'm not surprised he churns out such wisdom.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossonero23 Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm

we're going to get our asses kicked!

..just hope it doesn't get out of hand.
Rossonero23
Rossonero23
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:37 am

Only hours until the game. Proud
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:22 pm

AC Milan defender Adil Rami says he is determined to show that his career is far from over despite his ignominious exit from Valencia.

The Frenchman moved to San Siro in January after his career at Mestalla was abruptly ended in October following a dispute with the club's management.

He did not appear for the Rossoneri until last month but Rami feels time out of the game served to help him as he aims to prove his value to the club.

"I took a step back and this time allowed me to reflect on some points and grow up," he told L'Equipe.

"I was also able to rest. Afterwards, thanks to Milan, the support of my family and my strength of character I was able to overcome this period.

"Today I'm coming back stronger and contrary to what some people have said, I'm not dead."

Clarence Seedorf replaced Massimiliano Allegri as Milan coach in January and Rami is determined to show his new boss his quality.

"For me, when I play for a team I fight at 200 per cent without asking a question. This is how I am. Of course I want to stay at Milan but I have to earn the trust of the coach."
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:40 pm

Adriano Galliani has called on AC Milan to continue their Champions League tradition ahead of their crunch clash with Atletico Madrid.

The first leg of the last-16 tie will take place at San Siro on Wednesday evening and Gallaini hosted Atleti dignitaries at a lunch at the Giannino restaurant.

The Milan executive told Sky Sport 24: “We have a great Champions League tradition. In the last 13 years, we have been in it 11 times and always got past the group stages.

“Our coach Seedorf is very concentrated on the challenge. Since he was 18 he has been playing in the Champions League.

“Atletico Madrid will be tough opposition. They won their Champions League group and are joint top of La Liga.

“Tomorrow will be the 28th anniversary of Berlusconi taking over Milan. We have had some great teams. In 2007, when I saw the rain in the semi-final against Man Utd, I knew it would be a beautiful game. We hope to return to those levels.

“Will Kaka be captain against Atletico? He is certainly a great leader, but I don't know.”

Galliani also spoke of his confidence that Mario Balotelli will improve and reach the highest level of the game, while also praising another former Milan star, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who scored a double in Paris Saint-Germain's 4-0 thumping of Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday.

“Balotelli has everything in order to become a great champion. He is still very young and growing. He has all the physical and technical qualities to become a top player," he continued.

"I saw Ibrahimovic yesterday. He is extraordinary.”
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:50 pm

Atletico Madrid starting XI vs Milan:
Courtois; Juanfran, Miranda, Godin, Insua; Gabi, Mario Suarez, Arda, Koke; Raul Garcia, Diego Costa.

AC Milan starting XI vs Atletico Madrid:
Abbiati; De Sciglio, Rami, Bonera, Emanuelson; De Jong, Essien, Poli, Kaka, Taarabt; Balotelli
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:43 pm

We were the better team on the 1st half and would surely have been leading if it was not for Courtois having the Dino Zoff syndrome. Pleased with the performances of Abate, Rami, De Jong, Kaka, Taarabt, Poli and Balotelli. *bleep* Insua for injuring De Sciglio. Here's to a 2nd half where hopefully we will score goals.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next